Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Gravedigger's Boy tell Lear that the Carpenter is always around?
2. Why does Lear insist his enemies hate him?
3. Which character says, "I feel confidence in my bones. That's never failed me. If only I were a young man" in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What does Fontanelle complain about in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. What does the Gravedigger's Boy tell Lear that the soldiers are doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lear feel about the Duke of North and the Duke of Cornwall? Why?
2. Why has Lear chosen to erect the wall? How long has it been in construction?
3. What is the significance of the location of Act 3, Scene 3?
4. What does Lear say about the Farmer's Son joining the army? How does this show a change in his character?
5. Who is the Gravedigger's Boy? What does the exposition reveal about his background? What is his purpose in the play?
6. Why does Susan tell Lear that she was angry at him but is no longer?
7. Why has the Small Man come to find Lear? Where has he come from?
8. Describe what happens at the end of Act 1, Scene 7 with the soldiers at the Gravedigger's Boy's house.
9. Describe the Farmer and his family. How do they feel about Lear?
10. Why do Fontanelle and Bodice capture their husbands and keep them imprisoned?
Essay Topic 1
What is the climax of Lear? How does this climax reflect both the actions in the play and the thematic climax? What has been sacrificed?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Edward Bond's childhood and world events influenced his writing and particularly that of Lear. How does his theme reflect his social and political beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
What are the characteristics of the traditional tragic hero? What characteristics does Lear embody that make him the tragic hero of the play?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)