|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has died at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 1?
2. Which character says, "Politics is the higher form of justice"?
3. What is the setting of Act 1, Scene 5?
4. Where do Bodice and Fontanelle plan to meet at the end of Act 1, Scene 1?
5. What does the Boy say his wife keeps?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Lear written to Cordelia? What does he hope to achieve?
2. Why does Susan tell Lear that she was angry at him but is no longer?
3. Why do the villagers come to hear Lear speak? What message is he telling them?
4. Who is the Gravedigger's Boy? What does the exposition reveal about his background? What is his purpose in the play?
5. How does the Ghost die? How does Lear react?
6. What is the argument between Lear and the Gravedigger's Wife? How do these characters feel about each other?
7. Compare and contrast the characters of Bodice and Fontanelle. Whom are they related to? How are they similar? How are they different?
8. Why do Fontanelle and Bodice capture their husbands and keep them imprisoned?
9. How does the power shift in Act 2, Scene 5? What actions indicate this?
10. Why does Carpenter refuse to untie the prisoners once he has captured the soldiers in Act 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the climax of Lear? How does this climax reflect both the actions in the play and the thematic climax? What has been sacrificed?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Lear and Cornelia. How do these characters change in the course of the play? How do their interests diverge from one another?
Essay Topic 3
Do you empathize with any characters in the play? Who? Why do you feel regard or disregard for these characters? Cite examples from the text.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)