|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lear help the Wife do?
2. Who has asked Warrington to betray the king?
3. What does Lear think attacked him in his sleep?
4. Why do the soldiers enter Lear's prison cell in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. What is the setting at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Susan tell Lear that she was angry at him but is no longer?
2. Who appears to Lear in prison? How was this character known to Lear before this point?
3. Describe the character of Warrington. What is his position? To whom is he loyal?
4. How does the power shift in Act 2, Scene 5? What actions indicate this?
5. What is the significance of the Wounded Soldier in Act 2 Scene 3?
6. What does Lear offer to the strangers who arrive at the house? What is Thomas's reaction?
7. Why does the Ghost stay with Lear at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
8. How does Fontanelle feel about her husband? What does she say regarding him sexually?
9. How does Lear feel about the Duke of North and the Duke of Cornwall? Why?
10. Describe the character of Lear as we first encounter him in the play. How old is he? What is his demeanor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the terms "action" and "objective." What are the overarching actions and objectives of Bodice and Fontanelle? How do these actions connect to the plot of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the Ghost? What purpose does this character have in the play? How does he relate to Lear? How does this character compare with Warrington?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Lear and the Ghost. How are these characters similar? How are they different? What is ironic about their friendship?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)