|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Lear ask for while in the prison cell?
2. What does Lear think attacked him in his sleep?
3. What does Bodice demand be handed to Lear while at the trial?
4. Who is present in Act 2, Scene 3?
5. Who maniacally encourages the torture of Warrington?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens at the end of Act 1, Scene 7 with the soldiers at the Gravedigger's Boy's house.
2. What does the Councillor tell Lear and the others is the fate of the Small Man? How does Lear react?
3. Why do Fontanelle and Bodice capture their husbands and keep them imprisoned?
4. Who is the wild man living in the woods? How does he know Lear?
5. How does the power shift in Act 2, Scene 5? What actions indicate this?
6. What do Bodice and Fontanelle plan for Lear's future at the trial? How do they go about this plan?
7. In Act 2, what character changes has Cordelia undergone since Act 1?
8. Who is the Carpenter? What is revealed to Lear about this character? How does he fit into the plot?
9. Why does the Ghost stay with Lear at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
10. What does Fontanelle say to Lear in the prison cell? What are her action and objective?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of Lear's being blinded? How does this relate to actions in Shakespeare's Lear? What is the symbolism that this act illustrates?
Essay Topic 2
What is the climax of Lear? How does this climax reflect both the actions in the play and the thematic climax? What has been sacrificed?
Essay Topic 3
What is the primary motif in Lear? What is the definition of the term "motif"? How does Bond employ this motif as a means to further illustrate his theme?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)