|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lear find on the ground in Act 1, Scene 5?
2. Whose dress does Bodice wear in the prison cell?
3. How does Lear order the workman killed in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. Which character says, "I've always wanted to sit on a man's lungs"?
5. What job does the Wife give the Carpenter to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Bodice and Fontanelle. Whom are they related to? How are they similar? How are they different?
2. What does Fontanelle say on the stand against her father?
3. What is the significance of the Wounded Soldier in Act 2 Scene 3?
4. What does Fontanelle say to Lear in the prison cell? What are her action and objective?
5. Who appears to Lear in prison? How was this character known to Lear before this point?
6. Describe the character of Warrington. What is his position? To whom is he loyal?
7. Who do Thomas and Susan reflect from earlier in the play? How?
8. Why has Lear chosen to erect the wall? How long has it been in construction?
9. How does Susan's conversation with Thomas about Lear echo that of the Gravedigger's Boy and his Wife early in the play?
10. Describe the torture of the captured Warrington. What does this scene inform the reader or audience about the nature of the characters?
Essay Topic 1
Describe the irony that is evident in Lear. What different forms of irony does Bond employ in the play? Define the terms in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Edward Bond's Lear and Shakespeare's Lear. Why did Bond choose to adapt and essentially rewrite elements of Shakespeare's play? What elements of action and character did he alter? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Edward Bond's childhood and world events influenced his writing and particularly that of Lear. How does his theme reflect his social and political beliefs?
This section contains 1,450 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)