|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lear think attacked him in his sleep?
2. Which character says, "They are my sheep and if one of them is lost I'd take fire to hell to bring him out"?
3. Who is planning to marry the Duke of North?
4. Who appears to Lear in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. Where does Act 1, Scene 3 take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Ghost stay with Lear at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
2. In Act 2, what character changes has Cordelia undergone since Act 1?
3. Describe the character of Warrington. What is his position? To whom is he loyal?
4. What is the irony of Lear's death on the Wall at the final scene?
5. What does the Orderly say about his imprisonment to Lear in Act 2?
6. Why does Lear tell Cornelia she must destroy the wall? What does he say regarding pity?
7. How does the Ghost die? How does Lear react?
8. Why has Lear written to Cordelia? What does he hope to achieve?
9. What do Thomas and Ben reveal to Lear that they plan to do in Act 3, Scene 2? Why?
10. Describe the character of Lear as we first encounter him in the play. How old is he? What is his demeanor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the characteristics of the traditional tragic hero? What characteristics does Lear embody that make him the tragic hero of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the production history of Bond's Lear. How has it been received by the public? What characteristics of the play make it controversial? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What does Fontanelle's execution and subsequent on-stage autopsy contribute to the play? What change comes about because of this scene? Do you agree or disagree with the choice to put this scene on stage? Why or why not?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)