Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Gravedigger's Boy tell Lear that the Carpenter is always around?
2. Why does Lear insist his enemies hate him?
3. Which character says, "I feel confidence in my bones. That's never failed me. If only I were a young man" in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What does Fontanelle complain about in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. What does the Gravedigger's Boy tell Lear that the soldiers are doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lear feel about the Duke of North and the Duke of Cornwall? Why?
2. Why has Lear chosen to erect the wall? How long has it been in construction?
3. What is the significance of the location of Act 3, Scene 3?
4. What does Lear say about the Farmer's Son joining the army? How does this show a change in his character?
5. Who is the Gravedigger's Boy? What does the exposition reveal about his background? What is his purpose in the play?
6. Why does Susan tell Lear that she was angry at him but is no longer?
7. Why has the Small Man come to find Lear? Where has he come from?
8. Describe what happens at the end of Act 1, Scene 7 with the soldiers at the Gravedigger's Boy's house.
9. Describe the Farmer and his family. How do they feel about Lear?
10. Why do Fontanelle and Bodice capture their husbands and keep them imprisoned?
Essay Topic 1
What is the primary theme of Lear? How is this theme expressed through the characters and the actions of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Define the term "foreshadowing." What are examples of foreshadowing in Bond's Lear? What is the purpose of his use of foreshadowing? Does it create tension? Does it set up irony? Does it reflect the theme?
Essay Topic 3
What is the primary motif in Lear? What is the definition of the term "motif"? How does Bond employ this motif as a means to further illustrate his theme?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)