|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Gravedigger's Boy tell Lear has left him, and "wanted a horse to take him to town"?
2. What is the setting of Act 1, Scene 5?
3. Who initially protests the execution of the workman at the wall?
4. Why does the Gravedigger's Boy tell Lear that the Carpenter is always around?
5. What does the Carpenter bring to the Wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lear offer to the strangers who arrive at the house? What is Thomas's reaction?
2. What does Lear tell Fontanelle to do in order to be treated well? What does he tell her to refrain from?
3. How does Susan's conversation with Thomas about Lear echo that of the Gravedigger's Boy and his Wife early in the play?
4. What does the Councillor tell Lear and the others is the fate of the Small Man? How does Lear react?
5. What does Warrington advise the king regarding the war with Bodice and Fontanelle? What is Lear's reply?
6. Who appears to Lear in prison? How was this character known to Lear before this point?
7. Why do Fontanelle and Bodice capture their husbands and keep them imprisoned?
8. How does Lear feel about the Duke of North and the Duke of Cornwall? Why?
9. Why does Lear execute the laborer in Act 1, Scene 1? What are his underlying motives?
10. What does Fontanelle say to Lear in the prison cell? What are her action and objective?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Bond uses Imagery in Lear to further illustrate his theme and characters. What are some examples from the play? Define the term "imagery" in your answer.
Essay Topic 2
What is the primary theme of Lear? How is this theme expressed through the characters and the actions of the play?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of Lear's being blinded? How does this relate to actions in Shakespeare's Lear? What is the symbolism that this act illustrates?
This section contains 1,426 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)