|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who plans to marry the Duke of Cornwall?
2. Where does Act 1, Scene 4 take place?
3. Who is planning to marry the Duke of North?
4. Why do the soldiers enter Lear's prison cell in Act 2, Scene 2?
5. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Cornwall suggest be done with Lear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lear tell Fontanelle to do in order to be treated well? What does he tell her to refrain from?
2. Why does Carpenter refuse to untie the prisoners once he has captured the soldiers in Act 2?
3. Why does Lear execute the laborer in Act 1, Scene 1? What are his underlying motives?
4. What does Fontanelle say to Lear in the prison cell? What are her action and objective?
5. How does Lear feel about the Duke of North and the Duke of Cornwall? Why?
6. Describe what happens at the end of Act 1, Scene 7 with the soldiers at the Gravedigger's Boy's house.
7. What does Lear offer to the strangers who arrive at the house? What is Thomas's reaction?
8. Describe Lear's reaction to the mirror in the court scene.
9. What is the irony of Lear's death on the Wall at the final scene?
10. How does Lear prove he has undergone a change of character in the last act?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the primary motif in Lear? What is the definition of the term "motif"? How does Bond employ this motif as a means to further illustrate his theme?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the Ghost? What purpose does this character have in the play? How does he relate to Lear? How does this character compare with Warrington?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Bond uses Imagery in Lear to further illustrate his theme and characters. What are some examples from the play? Define the term "imagery" in your answer.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)