Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who plans to marry the Duke of Cornwall?
2. Who is the first to sit on the witness stand at Lear's trial?
3. Whom does Lear ask for while in the prison cell?
4. Who says in an aside that she is disappointed in her husband?
5. Who has ordered Warrington's tongue cut out?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lear react to seeing Fontanelle's autopsy? How does this change his point of view?
2. What does Warrington advise the king regarding the war with Bodice and Fontanelle? What is Lear's reply?
3. Describe how Lear is blinded in the prison scene. Why is he blinded?
4. Describe the Farmer and his family. How do they feel about Lear?
5. What do Thomas and Ben reveal to Lear that they plan to do in Act 3, Scene 2? Why?
6. What does Fontanelle say to Lear in the prison cell? What are her action and objective?
7. Why does Carpenter refuse to untie the prisoners once he has captured the soldiers in Act 2?
8. Who is the wild man living in the woods? How does he know Lear?
9. Who do Thomas and Susan reflect from earlier in the play? How?
10. Why does Susan tell Lear that she was angry at him but is no longer?
Define the term "foreshadowing." What are examples of foreshadowing in Bond's Lear? What is the purpose of his use of foreshadowing? Does it create tension? Does it set up irony? Does it reflect the theme?
Discuss the production history of Bond's Lear. How has it been received by the public? What characteristics of the play make it controversial? Why?
Compare and contrast Lear and the Ghost. How are these characters similar? How are they different? What is ironic about their friendship?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)