|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Act 1, Scene 4 take place?
2. Who appears to Lear in Act 2, Scene 2?
3. What does Lear think attacked him in his sleep?
4. Who is NOT present in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. Who does the Boy's Wife see outside the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Warrington. What is his position? To whom is he loyal?
2. What does the Councillor tell Lear and the others is the fate of the Small Man? How does Lear react?
3. What do Thomas and Ben reveal to Lear that they plan to do in Act 3, Scene 2? Why?
4. What does Warrington reveal about Bodice and Fontanelle in Act 1, Scene 2? What is his course of action?
5. Who is leading a revolution against Bodice and Fontanelle? How do we learn this information?
6. What is the irony of Lear's death on the Wall at the final scene?
7. Describe the character of Lear as we first encounter him in the play. How old is he? What is his demeanor?
8. What is the argument between Lear and the Gravedigger's Wife? How do these characters feel about each other?
9. What does Fontanelle say on the stand against her father?
10. Why does Cordelia refuse to take the captured soldier into her army?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the characteristics of the traditional tragic hero? What characteristics does Lear embody that make him the tragic hero of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the production history of Bond's Lear. How has it been received by the public? What characteristics of the play make it controversial? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What is the climax of Lear? How does this climax reflect both the actions in the play and the thematic climax? What has been sacrificed?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)