|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bodice demand be handed to Lear while at the trial?
2. Where does Act 2, Scene 1 take place?
3. Why do the soldiers enter Lear's prison cell in Act 2, Scene 2?
4. What happened to the gift Fontanelle was given as a child?
5. Why doesn't the Old Orderly know Lear's crime?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Ghost unhappy and crying in Act 3, Scene 3?
2. Why does the Ghost stay with Lear at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
3. What does Fontanelle say to Lear in the prison cell? What are her action and objective?
4. What is the argument between Lear and the Gravedigger's Wife? How do these characters feel about each other?
5. In Act 2, what character changes has Cordelia undergone since Act 1?
6. Why has the Small Man come to find Lear? Where has he come from?
7. Why has Lear been spared in the prison? How does he escape?
8. Describe the character of Lear as we first encounter him in the play. How old is he? What is his demeanor?
9. Describe how Lear is blinded in the prison scene. Why is he blinded?
10. Why does Carpenter refuse to untie the prisoners once he has captured the soldiers in Act 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term "foreshadowing." What are examples of foreshadowing in Bond's Lear? What is the purpose of his use of foreshadowing? Does it create tension? Does it set up irony? Does it reflect the theme?
Essay Topic 2
What is the climax of Lear? How does this climax reflect both the actions in the play and the thematic climax? What has been sacrificed?
Essay Topic 3
Define the terms "action" and "objective." What are the overarching actions and objectives of Bodice and Fontanelle? How do these actions connect to the plot of the play?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)