|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is leading the rebel army against the sisters?
2. Why does Lear insist his enemies hate him?
3. Who has died at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 1?
4. Who says, "Now I have all the power... and I'm a slave. Worse."?
5. What does Lear ask of Fontanelle while in the prison cell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lear tell Cornelia she must destroy the wall? What does he say regarding pity?
2. What is the significance of the image of Bodice and Fontanelle as children in Lear's cell?
3. Why does the Ghost not go with Lear when Lear is taken from the cell?
4. What does the Orderly say about his imprisonment to Lear in Act 2?
5. What does Lear go to do at the Wall in the final scene? Why?
6. Describe the symbolic relevance of the cradle and the wall. Compare and contrast the two.
7. What does Lear say about the Farmer's Son joining the army? How does this show a change in his character?
8. Describe the Farmer and his family. How do they feel about Lear?
9. Why does Cordelia refuse to take the captured soldier into her army?
10. How does Fontanelle react to being taken prisoner? What does she say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the terms "action" and "objective." What are the overarching actions and objectives of Bodice and Fontanelle? How do these actions connect to the plot of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Do you empathize with any characters in the play? Who? Why do you feel regard or disregard for these characters? Cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the production history of Bond's Lear. How has it been received by the public? What characteristics of the play make it controversial? Why?
This section contains 1,392 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)