|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lear recognize in the well bucket?
2. Who has asked Warrington to betray the king?
3. Where is Lear taken after the trial?
4. What does the Carpenter bring to the Wife?
5. Which character says, "They are my sheep and if one of them is lost I'd take fire to hell to bring him out"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lear's reaction to the mirror in the court scene.
2. How does Fontanelle feel about her husband? What does she say regarding him sexually?
3. Who appears to Lear in prison? How was this character known to Lear before this point?
4. Why has Lear been spared in the prison? How does he escape?
5. Who do Thomas and Susan reflect from earlier in the play? How?
6. What does Warrington advise the king regarding the war with Bodice and Fontanelle? What is Lear's reply?
7. Describe the torture of the captured Warrington. What does this scene inform the reader or audience about the nature of the characters?
8. How does the Ghost die? How does Lear react?
9. Who is the Carpenter? What is revealed to Lear about this character? How does he fit into the plot?
10. Describe the character of Warrington. What is his position? To whom is he loyal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Lear and his daughters. How are their actions similar? How are they different? How are their motivations related?
Essay Topic 2
What is the primary motif in Lear? What is the definition of the term "motif"? How does Bond employ this motif as a means to further illustrate his theme?
Essay Topic 3
What does Fontanelle's execution and subsequent on-stage autopsy contribute to the play? What change comes about because of this scene? Do you agree or disagree with the choice to put this scene on stage? Why or why not?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)