|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't the Old Orderly know Lear's crime?
2. Which character says, "Virility! It'd be easier to get blood out of a stone, and far more probable. I've bribed a major on his staff to shoot him in the battle"?
3. In Act 1, Scene 1, who claims to have proof that the "enemies" Lear speaks of are not actually enemies?
4. Which character says, "I feel confidence in my bones. That's never failed me. If only I were a young man" in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What does Lear think attacked him in his sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Carpenter refuse to untie the prisoners once he has captured the soldiers in Act 2?
2. What does Lear tell Fontanelle to do in order to be treated well? What does he tell her to refrain from?
3. Why does Cordelia refuse to take the captured soldier into her army?
4. Describe Lear's reaction to the mirror in the court scene.
5. What is the significance of the image of Bodice and Fontanelle as children in Lear's cell?
6. Why is the Farmer and his family leaving the land?
7. Why does Susan tell Lear that she was angry at him but is no longer?
8. What is the argument between Lear and the Gravedigger's Wife? How do these characters feel about each other?
9. What is the significance of the location of Act 3, Scene 3?
10. How does Lear feel about the Duke of North and the Duke of Cornwall? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the production history of Bond's Lear. How has it been received by the public? What characteristics of the play make it controversial? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the Ghost? What purpose does this character have in the play? How does he relate to Lear? How does this character compare with Warrington?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Epic Theater. What elements of Bond's Lear are characteristic of Epic Theater? What ideals does Bond share with Brecht? How does the style of Lear reflect this?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)