|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Gravedigger's Boy tell Lear that the Carpenter is always around?
2. Who has died at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 1?
3. Who maniacally encourages the torture of Warrington?
4. What do the soldiers do to the wife of the Gravedigger's Boy?
5. What does Lear think attacked him in his sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the Gravedigger's Boy? What does the exposition reveal about his background? What is his purpose in the play?
2. How does Lear react to seeing Fontanelle's autopsy? How does this change his point of view?
3. How does the Ghost die? How does Lear react?
4. Who is the wild man living in the woods? How does he know Lear?
5. What does Lear say about the Farmer's Son joining the army? How does this show a change in his character?
6. In Act 2, what character changes has Cordelia undergone since Act 1?
7. Describe what happens at the end of Act 1, Scene 7 with the soldiers at the Gravedigger's Boy's house.
8. Why did the Gravedigger's Son settle where he did? How did he discover the place where he lives?
9. What is the significance of the location of Act 3, Scene 3?
10. What is the significance of the Wounded Soldier in Act 2 Scene 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the climax of Lear? How does this climax reflect both the actions in the play and the thematic climax? What has been sacrificed?
Essay Topic 2
Do you empathize with any characters in the play? Who? Why do you feel regard or disregard for these characters? Cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What is the primary theme of Lear? How is this theme expressed through the characters and the actions of the play?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)