|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character says, "I've always wanted to sit on a man's lungs"?
2. What gift from her childhood does Fontanelle remind her father of when she stands trial against him?
3. Why does the Boy say his wife is upset?
4. What does Bodice say regarding the prisons in Act 2, Scene 4?
5. Who enters with a wooden box in Act 1, Scene 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lear prove he has undergone a change of character in the last act?
2. How is the Wife of Gravedigger's Boy relevant to the plot? How does she feel about Lear living with her and her husband?
3. How does Lear react to seeing Fontanelle's autopsy? How does this change his point of view?
4. Who is the Carpenter? What is revealed to Lear about this character? How does he fit into the plot?
5. What does Fontanelle say to Lear in the prison cell? What are her action and objective?
6. Why has Lear written to Cordelia? What does he hope to achieve?
7. Why does Lear tell Cornelia she must destroy the wall? What does he say regarding pity?
8. Do Bodice and Fontanelle trust one another? What actions or dialogue reveals their true feelings?
9. What does Lear offer to the strangers who arrive at the house? What is Thomas's reaction?
10. Why has the Small Man come to find Lear? Where has he come from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you empathize with any characters in the play? Who? Why do you feel regard or disregard for these characters? Cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of Lear and Cornelia. How do these characters change in the course of the play? How do their interests diverge from one another?
Essay Topic 3
Define the terms "action" and "objective." What are the overarching actions and objectives of Bodice and Fontanelle? How do these actions connect to the plot of the play?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)