|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the Orderly?
2. Who has asked Warrington to betray the king?
(a) The Captain.
(b) The Gravedigger's Boy.
(c) Lear's daughters.
3. Who is addressing a battle regiment in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What does Lear recognize in the well bucket?
(a) A dagger.
(c) A baby.
5. Why does Lear insist his enemies hate him?
(a) He has starved their people.
(b) He has built a wall.
(c) He has taken their kingdoms.
(d) He killed their fathers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shoots the workman in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. Who says, "We won't chain ourselves to the dead, or send our children to school in the graveyard"?
3. What does Lear ask of Fontanelle while in the prison cell?
4. Which character says, "Virility! It'd be easier to get blood out of a stone, and far more probable. I've bribed a major on his staff to shoot him in the battle"?
5. Why do the soldiers enter Lear's prison cell in Act 2, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the power shift in Act 2, Scene 5? What actions indicate this?
2. What is the significance of the Wounded Soldier in Act 2 Scene 3?
3. How does Fontanelle react to being taken prisoner? What does she say?
4. What does Fontanelle say on the stand against her father?
5. Who is the Gravedigger's Boy? What does the exposition reveal about his background? What is his purpose in the play?
6. Why does Lear execute the laborer in Act 1, Scene 1? What are his underlying motives?
7. What does Fontanelle say to Lear in the prison cell? What are her action and objective?
8. Why has Lear been spared in the prison? How does he escape?
9. Why is the Farmer and his family leaving the land?
10. How is the Wife of Gravedigger's Boy relevant to the plot? How does she feel about Lear living with her and her husband?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)