|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "Now I have all the power... and I'm a slave. Worse."?
2. What happened to the gift Fontanelle was given as a child?
(a) It was given away.
(b) It was shot.
(c) It was set afire.
(d) It was bludgeoned.
3. Who has ordered Warrington's tongue cut out?
4. Who initially protests the execution of the workman at the wall?
(c) The Gravedigger's Boy.
5. Why does the Old Orderly come into Lear's cell?
(a) For the plate.
(b) To search it.
(c) To take him to the guillotine.
(d) To take him to the dungeon.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Gravedigger's Boy discover the water for the well?
2. Who enters with a wooden box in Act 1, Scene 7?
3. Where did the "wild man" hide?
4. Which character says, "They are my sheep and if one of them is lost I'd take fire to hell to bring him out"?
5. What does Lear think attacked him in his sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the symbolic relevance of the cradle and the wall. Compare and contrast the two.
2. How does Lear feel about the Duke of North and the Duke of Cornwall? Why?
3. Why is the Farmer and his family leaving the land?
4. How does the Ghost die? How does Lear react?
5. What does the Councillor tell Lear and the others is the fate of the Small Man? How does Lear react?
6. Do Bodice and Fontanelle trust one another? What actions or dialogue reveals their true feelings?
7. Why has Lear been spared in the prison? How does he escape?
8. Why is the Ghost unhappy and crying in Act 3, Scene 3?
9. Why does Lear execute the laborer in Act 1, Scene 1? What are his underlying motives?
10. Why does Susan tell Lear that she was angry at him but is no longer?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)