|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Carpenter bring to the Wife?
(a) A cradle.
(c) A blanket.
(d) A pig.
2. What is the setting of Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) The King's Quarters.
(b) The prison.
(c) The woods.
(d) The War Chamber.
3. Who is planning to marry the Duke of North?
4. Who is NOT present in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. What job does the Wife give the Carpenter to do?
(a) Cleaning the well.
(b) Mending the door.
(c) Tending the pigs.
(d) Tending Lear.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who initially protests the execution of the workman at the wall?
2. Why does Lear, in an aside, tell his daughter the workman is being executed?
3. What does the Gravedigger's Boy say his wife would like to do?
4. What does Lear find on the ground in Act 1, Scene 5?
5. Who has been captured in Act 1, Scene 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Thomas and Ben reveal to Lear that they plan to do in Act 3, Scene 2? Why?
2. How does the Ghost die? How does Lear react?
3. Why does Lear tell Cornelia she must destroy the wall? What does he say regarding pity?
4. Who is the Gravedigger's Boy? What does the exposition reveal about his background? What is his purpose in the play?
5. What is the argument between Lear and the Gravedigger's Wife? How do these characters feel about each other?
6. Why is the Farmer and his family leaving the land?
7. In Act 2, what character changes has Cordelia undergone since Act 1?
8. Describe the symbolic relevance of the cradle and the wall. Compare and contrast the two.
9. Why has the Small Man come to find Lear? Where has he come from?
10. Why does Cordelia refuse to take the captured soldier into her army?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)