|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) The woods.
(b) The prison.
(c) The War Chamber.
(d) The King's Quarters.
2. What does Lear find on the ground in Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) A sword.
(c) A dead soldier.
3. What has killed one of the workers on the wall?
(a) A fallen axe.
(b) A fallen stone.
(c) An explosion.
(d) A bear.
4. Who has died at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 1?
(b) A workman.
(d) The Gravedigger's Boy.
5. Who has ordered Warrington's tongue cut out?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lear think attacked him in his sleep?
2. Who is the first to sit on the witness stand at Lear's trial?
3. Why does Lear insist his enemies hate him?
4. Where did the "wild man" hide?
5. What does the Carpenter bring to the Wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Ghost not go with Lear when Lear is taken from the cell?
2. What does Fontanelle say on the stand against her father?
3. Why did the Gravedigger's Son settle where he did? How did he discover the place where he lives?
4. Why is the Ghost unhappy and crying in Act 3, Scene 3?
5. What does Lear tell Fontanelle to do in order to be treated well? What does he tell her to refrain from?
6. Why does the Ghost stay with Lear at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
7. How does Lear prove he has undergone a change of character in the last act?
8. Describe the torture of the captured Warrington. What does this scene inform the reader or audience about the nature of the characters?
9. Why has Lear chosen to erect the wall? How long has it been in construction?
10. Why does Susan tell Lear that she was angry at him but is no longer?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)