|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Bodice demand be handed to Lear while at the trial?
(a) A mirror.
(b) A baby.
(c) A letter.
(d) A goblet.
2. Who speaks of an animal in a cage at the trial?
(b) Old Sailor.
3. Which character says, "O don't waste your hypocrisy on me. You tried to kill yours once. My spies told me and they don't lie. They're the only moral institution in this country"?
4. Who shoots the workman in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) The Firing Squad.
5. Who intends to overthrow Lear in Act 1, Scene 1?
(c) His daughters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who claims he has been blind for seven years on the stand at Lear's trial?
2. Who says, "To fight like us you must hate. We can't trust a man unless he hates"?
3. What action does Bodice perform throughout Act 1, Scene 3?
4. Whom does Lear accuse of betraying him in court?
5. What has killed one of the workers on the wall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Ghost not go with Lear when Lear is taken from the cell?
2. Do Bodice and Fontanelle trust one another? What actions or dialogue reveals their true feelings?
3. Why does Carpenter refuse to untie the prisoners once he has captured the soldiers in Act 2?
4. Why has Lear written to Cordelia? What does he hope to achieve?
5. Why is the Farmer and his family leaving the land?
6. How does Lear react to seeing Fontanelle's autopsy? How does this change his point of view?
7. What does Fontanelle say on the stand against her father?
8. How does Fontanelle feel about her husband? What does she say regarding him sexually?
9. Describe what happens at the end of Act 1, Scene 7 with the soldiers at the Gravedigger's Boy's house.
10. Why does Lear tell Cornelia she must destroy the wall? What does he say regarding pity?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)