|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has ordered Warrington's tongue cut out?
2. Where did the "wild man" hide?
(a) The bushes.
(b) The well.
(c) The house.
(d) The trees.
3. What does Bodice say as she leaves Lear's prison cell?
(a) You'll be executed tomorrow.
(b) Mother's dead. I must serve tea.
(c) The war has ended.
(d) I'm taking you to hell with me.
4. Who says in an aside that she is disappointed in her husband?
5. What does the Boy say his wife keeps?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who advises the king to refuse the war?
2. Where does Act 1, Scene 4 take place?
3. Why does the Gravedigger's Boy tell Lear that the Carpenter is always around?
4. Where does Act 1, Scene 3 take place?
5. Where is Lear taken after the trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Farmer and his family leaving the land?
2. How does Lear react to seeing Fontanelle's autopsy? How does this change his point of view?
3. Describe the torture of the captured Warrington. What does this scene inform the reader or audience about the nature of the characters?
4. Describe the character of Warrington. What is his position? To whom is he loyal?
5. Describe Lear's reaction to the mirror in the court scene.
6. What is the irony of Lear's death on the Wall at the final scene?
7. Who do Thomas and Susan reflect from earlier in the play? How?
8. What does Lear tell Fontanelle to do in order to be treated well? What does he tell her to refrain from?
9. Who is leading a revolution against Bodice and Fontanelle? How do we learn this information?
10. Why did the Gravedigger's Son settle where he did? How did he discover the place where he lives?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)