|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "We won't chain ourselves to the dead, or send our children to school in the graveyard"?
2. What is the setting at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) A prison.
(b) A battle field.
(c) A church.
(d) A parade ground.
3. Why doesn't the Old Orderly know Lear's crime?
(a) The fire killed the judge.
(b) He was brainwashed.
(c) He died.
(d) The records were lost.
4. What does Bodice hand to Fontanelle in Act 2, Scene 4?
(a) Her mirror.
(b) Her wool.
(c) Their marriage licenses.
(d) Warrants to sign.
5. Who spots Lear and creeps up on him from behind in Act 1, Scene 5?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says in an aside that she is disappointed in her husband?
2. Who is NOT present in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. Which of the following is one of Lear's daughters?
4. Where does Act 1, Scene 4 take place?
5. In Act 2, Scene 1, what does Cornwall suggest be done with Lear?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lear feel about the Duke of North and the Duke of Cornwall? Why?
2. Describe Lear's reaction to the mirror in the court scene.
3. Why do the villagers come to hear Lear speak? What message is he telling them?
4. What is the significance of the Wounded Soldier in Act 2 Scene 3?
5. Who is the Carpenter? What is revealed to Lear about this character? How does he fit into the plot?
6. Why has Lear chosen to erect the wall? How long has it been in construction?
7. Why did the Gravedigger's Son settle where he did? How did he discover the place where he lives?
8. Who is the Gravedigger's Boy? What does the exposition reveal about his background? What is his purpose in the play?
9. Why does Lear execute the laborer in Act 1, Scene 1? What are his underlying motives?
10. Who is the wild man living in the woods? How does he know Lear?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)