|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lear recognize in the well bucket?
(b) A baby.
(d) A dagger.
2. What is the Carpenter's name?
3. What happens to the captured soldier in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) He is freed.
(b) He is hanged.
(c) He joins the rebels.
(d) He is shot.
4. Whose dress does Bodice wear in the prison cell?
(a) Her sister's.
(b) Her daughter's.
(c) Her mother's.
(d) Her aunt's.
5. What does the Gravedigger's Boy say his wife would like to do?
(a) Betray the king.
(b) Marry the Carpenter.
(c) Put a fence around them.
(d) Go back to her father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Act 1, Scene 4 take place?
2. Who shoots the workman in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. Who has died at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 1?
4. Which character says, "O don't waste your hypocrisy on me. You tried to kill yours once. My spies told me and they don't lie. They're the only moral institution in this country"?
5. Which character says, "I feel confidence in my bones. That's never failed me. If only I were a young man" in Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the image of Bodice and Fontanelle as children in Lear's cell?
2. How does Lear feel about the Duke of North and the Duke of Cornwall? Why?
3. Who do Thomas and Susan reflect from earlier in the play? How?
4. Why does the Ghost not go with Lear when Lear is taken from the cell?
5. Why do the villagers come to hear Lear speak? What message is he telling them?
6. How does the Ghost die? How does Lear react?
7. What is the irony of Lear's death on the Wall at the final scene?
8. Why do Fontanelle and Bodice capture their husbands and keep them imprisoned?
9. What does Fontanelle say to Lear in the prison cell? What are her action and objective?
10. Who appears to Lear in prison? How was this character known to Lear before this point?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)