|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't the Old Orderly know Lear's crime?
(a) The records were lost.
(b) The fire killed the judge.
(c) He died.
(d) He was brainwashed.
2. Who advises the king to refuse the war?
(c) The Captain.
3. What does Fontanelle complain about in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) She is hungry.
(b) Her hands are cold.
(c) She doesn't approve of the wall.
(d) Her feet are wet.
4. Who is NOT present in Act 1, Scene 3?
5. What is the Carpenter's name?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is leading the rebel army against the sisters?
2. Who enters carrying bread and water in Act 1, Scene 5?
3. Who says, "To fight like us you must hate. We can't trust a man unless he hates"?
4. What do the soldiers do to the wife of the Gravedigger's Boy?
5. What does the Gravedigger's Boy tell Lear that the soldiers are doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the symbolic relevance of the cradle and the wall. Compare and contrast the two.
2. What does Lear go to do at the Wall in the final scene? Why?
3. What does Lear say about the Farmer's Son joining the army? How does this show a change in his character?
4. Who is leading a revolution against Bodice and Fontanelle? How do we learn this information?
5. Why has Lear written to Cordelia? What does he hope to achieve?
6. What does Warrington advise the king regarding the war with Bodice and Fontanelle? What is Lear's reply?
7. What is the argument between Lear and the Gravedigger's Wife? How do these characters feel about each other?
8. What does Warrington reveal about Bodice and Fontanelle in Act 1, Scene 2? What is his course of action?
9. Why does the Ghost not go with Lear when Lear is taken from the cell?
10. Why does Susan tell Lear that she was angry at him but is no longer?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)