|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Gravedigger's Boy say his wife would like to do?
(a) Go back to her father.
(b) Betray the king.
(c) Put a fence around them.
(d) Marry the Carpenter.
2. Who enters with a wooden box in Act 1, Scene 7?
(a) The Gravedigger's Boy.
(c) The Carpenter.
3. What is the setting at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) A battle field.
(b) A prison.
(c) A church.
(d) A parade ground.
4. Why does the Old Orderly come into Lear's cell?
(a) For the plate.
(b) To take him to the dungeon.
(c) To search it.
(d) To take him to the guillotine.
5. Who appears to Lear in Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) The Ghost.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lear recognize in the well bucket?
2. Who accompanies Lear in Act 1, Scene 5?
3. Where does Act 1, Scene 4 take place?
4. Whom does Lear ask for while in the prison cell?
5. Who initially protests the execution of the workman at the wall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Warrington advise the king regarding the war with Bodice and Fontanelle? What is Lear's reply?
2. Why has Lear been spared in the prison? How does he escape?
3. Why do the villagers come to hear Lear speak? What message is he telling them?
4. Describe how Lear is blinded in the prison scene. Why is he blinded?
5. Who is the Carpenter? What is revealed to Lear about this character? How does he fit into the plot?
6. What does Lear tell Fontanelle to do in order to be treated well? What does he tell her to refrain from?
7. What does Fontanelle say on the stand against her father?
8. Describe the character of Warrington. What is his position? To whom is he loyal?
9. Why does Cordelia refuse to take the captured soldier into her army?
10. Who appears to Lear in prison? How was this character known to Lear before this point?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)