|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the "wild man" hide?
(a) The well.
(b) The trees.
(c) The bushes.
(d) The house.
2. Who is addressing a battle regiment in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. Who does the Gravedigger's Boy tell Lear has left him, and "wanted a horse to take him to town"?
4. Which character says, "I've always wanted to sit on a man's lungs"?
5. What does Bodice say as she leaves Lear's prison cell?
(a) You'll be executed tomorrow.
(b) I'm taking you to hell with me.
(c) Mother's dead. I must serve tea.
(d) The war has ended.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is present in Act 2, Scene 3?
2. Who initially protests the execution of the workman at the wall?
3. Which character says, "I feel confidence in my bones. That's never failed me. If only I were a young man" in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What does Bodice demand be handed to Lear while at the trial?
5. What does the Boy say his wife keeps?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Ghost not go with Lear when Lear is taken from the cell?
2. Describe Lear's reaction to the mirror in the court scene.
3. How does Fontanelle react to being taken prisoner? What does she say?
4. Why has Lear chosen to erect the wall? How long has it been in construction?
5. Describe the symbolic relevance of the cradle and the wall. Compare and contrast the two.
6. What is the significance of the image of Bodice and Fontanelle as children in Lear's cell?
7. How does Lear react to seeing Fontanelle's autopsy? How does this change his point of view?
8. What does Lear offer to the strangers who arrive at the house? What is Thomas's reaction?
9. What does Lear say about the Farmer's Son joining the army? How does this show a change in his character?
10. Describe the character of Lear as we first encounter him in the play. How old is he? What is his demeanor?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)