|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) The War Chamber.
(b) The King's Quarters.
(c) The prison.
(d) The woods.
2. Who shoots the workman in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) The Firing Squad.
3. What is the Carpenter's name?
4. Which character says, "Virility! It'd be easier to get blood out of a stone, and far more probable. I've bribed a major on his staff to shoot him in the battle"?
5. What gift from her childhood does Fontanelle remind her father of when she stands trial against him?
(a) A horse.
(b) A bird.
(c) A dog.
(d) A cow.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lear, in an aside, tell his daughter the workman is being executed?
2. Why does the Old Orderly come into Lear's cell?
3. What happens to the captured soldier in Act 2, Scene 3?
4. How does Lear order the workman killed in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. How does Lear respond to the judge when asked, "And these ladies are your daughters?"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Orderly say about his imprisonment to Lear in Act 2?
2. Describe Lear's reaction to the mirror in the court scene.
3. What is the significance of the location of Act 3, Scene 3?
4. How is the Wife of Gravedigger's Boy relevant to the plot? How does she feel about Lear living with her and her husband?
5. Who do Thomas and Susan reflect from earlier in the play? How?
6. Describe the torture of the captured Warrington. What does this scene inform the reader or audience about the nature of the characters?
7. Why is the Farmer and his family leaving the land?
8. Who is the Carpenter? What is revealed to Lear about this character? How does he fit into the plot?
9. How does Lear prove he has undergone a change of character in the last act?
10. Why has Lear chosen to erect the wall? How long has it been in construction?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)