|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the setting of Act 1, Scene 5?
(a) The prison.
(b) The woods.
(c) The War Chamber.
(d) The King's Quarters.
2. What job does the Wife give the Carpenter to do?
(a) Tending Lear.
(b) Cleaning the well.
(c) Tending the pigs.
(d) Mending the door.
3. What does the Gravedigger's Boy find in the well?
(a) Warrington's body.
(b) A dead pig.
(c) A knife.
(d) A soldier.
4. What does Bodice demand be handed to Lear while at the trial?
(a) A goblet.
(b) A letter.
(c) A mirror.
(d) A baby.
5. Where do Bodice and Fontanelle plan to meet at the end of Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) The Wall.
(b) The Tower.
(c) The Council of War.
(d) The Prison.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Gravedigger's Boy tell Lear that the Carpenter is always around?
2. Who shoots the workman in Act 1, Scene 1?
3. Who has died at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 1?
4. Who says in an aside that she is disappointed in her husband?
5. Why does Lear insist his enemies hate him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lear's reaction to the mirror in the court scene.
2. What is the argument between Lear and the Gravedigger's Wife? How do these characters feel about each other?
3. What is the significance of the Wounded Soldier in Act 2 Scene 3?
4. How does Lear feel about the Duke of North and the Duke of Cornwall? Why?
5. Why does Cordelia refuse to take the captured soldier into her army?
6. Describe the character of Lear as we first encounter him in the play. How old is he? What is his demeanor?
7. Compare and contrast the characters of Bodice and Fontanelle. Whom are they related to? How are they similar? How are they different?
8. What do Bodice and Fontanelle plan for Lear's future at the trial? How do they go about this plan?
9. What does Lear say about the Farmer's Son joining the army? How does this show a change in his character?
10. Describe how Lear is blinded in the prison scene. Why is he blinded?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)