|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Boy say his wife keeps?
2. What does the Gravedigger's Boy say his wife would like to do?
(a) Marry the Carpenter.
(b) Put a fence around them.
(c) Go back to her father.
(d) Betray the king.
3. What does Bodice say as she leaves Lear's prison cell?
(a) The war has ended.
(b) I'm taking you to hell with me.
(c) Mother's dead. I must serve tea.
(d) You'll be executed tomorrow.
4. What has killed one of the workers on the wall?
(a) A bear.
(b) An explosion.
(c) A fallen stone.
(d) A fallen axe.
5. What is the setting at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) A prison.
(b) A battle field.
(c) A church.
(d) A parade ground.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asks to stay with Lear in his cell?
2. Who is NOT present in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. In Act 1, Scene 1, who claims to have proof that the "enemies" Lear speaks of are not actually enemies?
4. What does the Carpenter bring to the Wife?
5. Who foretells how Lear's army will attack in Act 1, Scene 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the villagers come to hear Lear speak? What message is he telling them?
2. Describe the character of Lear as we first encounter him in the play. How old is he? What is his demeanor?
3. What is the irony of Lear's death on the Wall at the final scene?
4. Why has Lear been spared in the prison? How does he escape?
5. Do Bodice and Fontanelle trust one another? What actions or dialogue reveals their true feelings?
6. What do Bodice and Fontanelle plan for Lear's future at the trial? How do they go about this plan?
7. Why has the Small Man come to find Lear? Where has he come from?
8. What does Lear tell Fontanelle to do in order to be treated well? What does he tell her to refrain from?
9. Why does Lear execute the laborer in Act 1, Scene 1? What are his underlying motives?
10. Who appears to Lear in prison? How was this character known to Lear before this point?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)