|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character says, "I feel confidence in my bones. That's never failed me. If only I were a young man" in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. What happens to the captured soldier in Act 2, Scene 3?
(a) He is shot.
(b) He joins the rebels.
(c) He is hanged.
(d) He is freed.
3. Who has asked Warrington to betray the king?
(a) Lear's daughters.
(b) The Captain.
(c) The Gravedigger's Boy.
4. Why does Bodice say she had troops bring North and Cornwall back?
(a) She loves her husband.
(b) They will fight the rebels.
(c) They need their armies.
(d) They are heroic.
5. Where does Act 1, Scene 3 take place?
(a) The Prison.
(b) The Daughters' War Council.
(c) The King's Chambers.
(d) The Battlefield.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first to sit on the witness stand at Lear's trial?
2. Who enters with a wooden box in Act 1, Scene 7?
3. What is the setting at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What does Bodice demand be handed to Lear while at the trial?
5. Who is addressing a battle regiment in Act 1, Scene 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the location of Act 3, Scene 3?
2. What does Lear tell Fontanelle to do in order to be treated well? What does he tell her to refrain from?
3. Describe the character of Warrington. What is his position? To whom is he loyal?
4. Describe the Farmer and his family. How do they feel about Lear?
5. Describe how Lear is blinded in the prison scene. Why is he blinded?
6. Why does Lear tell Cornelia she must destroy the wall? What does he say regarding pity?
7. How is the Wife of Gravedigger's Boy relevant to the plot? How does she feel about Lear living with her and her husband?
8. Why does Lear execute the laborer in Act 1, Scene 1? What are his underlying motives?
9. Describe the torture of the captured Warrington. What does this scene inform the reader or audience about the nature of the characters?
10. How does Fontanelle feel about her husband? What does she say regarding him sexually?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)