|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Boy say his wife keeps?
2. Who does Lear claim are his enemies?
(a) Duke of Cornwall and Duke of North.
(b) Duke of Cornwall and Duke of Stonewall.
(c) Duke of North and Duke of Ireland.
(d) Duke of South and Duke Willingshead.
3. What does the Gravedigger's Boy find in the well?
(a) Warrington's body.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A knife.
(d) A dead pig.
4. What gift from her childhood does Fontanelle remind her father of when she stands trial against him?
(a) A dog.
(b) A cow.
(c) A bird.
(d) A horse.
5. Which character says, "O don't waste your hypocrisy on me. You tried to kill yours once. My spies told me and they don't lie. They're the only moral institution in this country"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the first to sit on the witness stand at Lear's trial?
2. Who does the Boy's Wife see outside the house?
3. Who is present in Act 2, Scene 3?
4. What does Bodice demand be handed to Lear while at the trial?
5. Who says, "Now I have all the power... and I'm a slave. Worse."?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Ghost stay with Lear at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
2. What does the Councillor tell Lear and the others is the fate of the Small Man? How does Lear react?
3. Why does Lear execute the laborer in Act 1, Scene 1? What are his underlying motives?
4. How does Fontanelle feel about her husband? What does she say regarding him sexually?
5. Describe the character of Lear as we first encounter him in the play. How old is he? What is his demeanor?
6. Why does the Ghost not go with Lear when Lear is taken from the cell?
7. Why has Lear written to Cordelia? What does he hope to achieve?
8. Do Bodice and Fontanelle trust one another? What actions or dialogue reveals their true feelings?
9. What do Thomas and Ben reveal to Lear that they plan to do in Act 3, Scene 2? Why?
10. What is the irony of Lear's death on the Wall at the final scene?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)