|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who spots Lear and creeps up on him from behind in Act 1, Scene 5?
2. Why does the Old Orderly come into Lear's cell?
(a) To search it.
(b) To take him to the dungeon.
(c) To take him to the guillotine.
(d) For the plate.
3. Which character says, "O don't waste your hypocrisy on me. You tried to kill yours once. My spies told me and they don't lie. They're the only moral institution in this country"?
4. Who suggests the workman be imprisoned rather than executed?
(c) The Duke of Westminster.
(d) The Duke of Cornwall.
5. Who is NOT present in Act 1, Scene 3?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has ordered Warrington's tongue cut out?
2. Who maniacally encourages the torture of Warrington?
3. What does Lear find on the ground in Act 1, Scene 5?
4. Who accompanies Lear in Act 1, Scene 5?
5. Who is the first to sit on the witness stand at Lear's trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast the characters of Bodice and Fontanelle. Whom are they related to? How are they similar? How are they different?
2. How does the Ghost die? How does Lear react?
3. How does Lear prove he has undergone a change of character in the last act?
4. Why does Lear tell Cornelia she must destroy the wall? What does he say regarding pity?
5. Describe the character of Warrington. What is his position? To whom is he loyal?
6. What do Thomas and Ben reveal to Lear that they plan to do in Act 3, Scene 2? Why?
7. What is the significance of the location of Act 3, Scene 3?
8. Describe how Lear is blinded in the prison scene. Why is he blinded?
9. What does the Councillor tell Lear and the others is the fate of the Small Man? How does Lear react?
10. Describe the character of Lear as we first encounter him in the play. How old is he? What is his demeanor?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)