Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Gravedigger's Boy tell Lear that the Carpenter is always around?
(a) He's in love with his wife.
(b) He works for the army.
(c) He wants to steal the water.
(d) He's spying on them.
2. Why does Lear insist his enemies hate him?
(a) He has built a wall.
(b) He killed their fathers.
(c) He has starved their people.
(d) He has taken their kingdoms.
3. Which character says, "I feel confidence in my bones. That's never failed me. If only I were a young man" in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. What does Fontanelle complain about in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Her feet are wet.
(b) She is hungry.
(c) She doesn't approve of the wall.
(d) Her hands are cold.
5. What does the Gravedigger's Boy tell Lear that the soldiers are doing?
(a) Dying en masse.
(b) Deserting his daughters.
(c) Searching for Warrington.
(d) Pulling down the wall.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character says, "They are my sheep and if one of them is lost I'd take fire to hell to bring him out"?
2. What does Lear think attacked him in his sleep?
3. What happened to the gift Fontanelle was given as a child?
4. Why does the Boy say his wife is upset?
5. Who shoots the workman in Act 1, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lear feel about the Duke of North and the Duke of Cornwall? Why?
2. Why has Lear chosen to erect the wall? How long has it been in construction?
3. What is the significance of the location of Act 3, Scene 3?
4. What does Lear say about the Farmer's Son joining the army? How does this show a change in his character?
5. Who is the Gravedigger's Boy? What does the exposition reveal about his background? What is his purpose in the play?
6. Why does Susan tell Lear that she was angry at him but is no longer?
7. Why has the Small Man come to find Lear? Where has he come from?
8. Describe what happens at the end of Act 1, Scene 7 with the soldiers at the Gravedigger's Boy's house.
9. Describe the Farmer and his family. How do they feel about Lear?
10. Why do Fontanelle and Bodice capture their husbands and keep them imprisoned?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)