|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 34, when Margot leaves the hospital, where does she tell Albert she is going?
2. What did Albert intend to do as soon as Margot entered their room in Chapter 30?
3. Who had been Albert, Margot, and Axel's dining room neighbor for the last two or three days in Chapter 29?
4. How does Margot react to the news that Irma is deathly ill?
5. While sitting with Margot in their hotel room in Chapter 30, what could Albert hear from outside?
Short Essay Questions
1. After running into Margot in the street, what does Kaspar think to himself about her?
2. What is Albert's trip to Zurich from France like?
3. In Chapter 29, what does Udo say he heard while on the bus?
4. What lie does Albert tell Margot at the end of Chapter 24?
5. What suggestion does Axel make to Albert in Chapter 25?
6. What does Axel convince Margot to tell Albert about the chalet in Chapter 36? Why?
7. What does the retired French colonel tell Albert which makes him suspicious?
8. Why does Udo greet Albert with a bit of touchiness when they run into each other for a second time?
9. Why was Axel delighted that Margot was a failure on the screen?
10. What does Albert think might happen at Irma's funeral?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of deceit. What acts of deceit occur in the novel? Who are deceitful characters? How do they affect the other characters lives? Does truth prevail?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel "Laughter in the Dark." Where is the novel set? What time period does the novel take place in? Does this time period affect the plot or characters? What do the places in which the characters live, work, and visit tell the reader about them?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Nabokov's use of suspense in the novel "Laughter in the Dark." When does the author create suspense and why? What effect does suspense have on the tone of the novel?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)