|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While sitting with Margot in their hotel room in Chapter 30, what could Albert hear from outside?
2. How long does Albert wait at Paul's house before Irma dies?
3. What did Albert intend to do as soon as Margot entered their room in Chapter 30?
4. What lasting injury does Albert suffer as a result of his car accident?
5. What could Albert hear from outside the hospital window?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Margot pass the time while she is recuperating from her illness in Chapter 20?
2. What does Albert come to realize as he lies alone in his hospital bed in Chapter 33?
3. How does the author make it clear that Elisabeth senses when Albert's accident occurs?
4. What does Albert think might happen at Irma's funeral?
5. How does Margot feel about her film debut?
6. What occurs when Margot removes her coat in Chapter 31?
7. After running into Margot in the street, what does Kaspar think to himself about her?
8. What does Albert find different about his vacation with Margot in Rouginard as opposed to their vacation in Solfi?
9. Why was Axel delighted that Margot was a failure on the screen?
10. What happens as a result of the layout of the hotel where Albert, Margot, and Axel stay at in Rouginard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the protagonist of the novel, Albert Albinus. What character traits define him? What issues or struggles does he face in the novel? Is he a tragic hero? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Nabokov's use of suspense in the novel "Laughter in the Dark." When does the author create suspense and why? What effect does suspense have on the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Albert and Margot. What are their first impressions of each other? Who pursues whom? What attracts Albert to Margot? What attracts Margot to Albert? Why is Margot involved with Albert? What do they desire from one another?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)