|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the hotel Albert, Margot, and Axel are staying at in Rouginard?
2. What happens when Margot lets Axel kiss her in Chapter 19?
3. What is characteristic of the road that Albert and Margot drove down, away from Rouginard?
4. When Margot asks Albert where he is going at the end of Chapter 21, what does he tell her?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 28, what does Albert try to find out?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Axel delighted that Margot was a failure on the screen?
2. Why does Udo greet Albert with a bit of touchiness when they run into each other for a second time?
3. What happens as a result of the layout of the hotel where Albert, Margot, and Axel stay at in Rouginard?
4. How does Margot pass the time while she is recuperating from her illness in Chapter 20?
5. How does Margot feel about her film debut?
6. What does Chapter 31 begin with an explanation and description of?
7. What is Albert's trip to Zurich from France like?
8. How does the author make it clear that Elisabeth senses when Albert's accident occurs?
9. What does Albert do when he finds out about Margot and Axel's affair?
10. After running into Margot in the street, what does Kaspar think to himself about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the novel "Laughter in the Dark." Who is jealous of whom in the novel? How do the characters show their jealousy, and is their jealousy based on anything other than their insecurities?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of irony in the novel "Laughter in the Dark." What is irony, and what are the three types of irony? Are all three types of irony present in the novel? What are some examples of irony found in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Albert and Elisabeth. How does Albert describe his relationship with Elisabeth? Are they happily married? What does Albert do to end their relationship? How does Elisabeth react? How does this event change both of their lives?
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)