|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story Axel tells about his sculptor friend. Where do the sculptor and his wife walk to at the end?
2. In Chapter 32, who does Elisabeth observe from her balcony?
3. When Margot asks Albert where he is going at the end of Chapter 21, what does he tell her?
4. In Chapter 32, what does the old woman see approaching in the opposite direction of Albert's car?
5. Which illness is said to be going around Berlin in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Axel annoy Paul at Albert's building in Chapter 20?
2. What happens as a result of the layout of the hotel where Albert, Margot, and Axel stay at in Rouginard?
3. What occurs when Margot removes her coat in Chapter 31?
4. After running into Margot in the street, what does Kaspar think to himself about her?
5. What happens when Margot allows Axel to kiss her in Chapter 19?
6. What lie does Albert tell Margot at the end of Chapter 24?
7. In Chapter 29, what does Udo say he heard while on the bus?
8. What does Albert come to realize as he lies alone in his hospital bed in Chapter 33?
9. What does Chapter 31 begin with an explanation and description of?
10. What does Albert find different about his vacation with Margot in Rouginard as opposed to their vacation in Solfi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the genre of the novel "Laughter in the Dark." What is the genre of the work? What elements are found in this genre and this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the setting of the novel "Laughter in the Dark." Where is the novel set? What time period does the novel take place in? Does this time period affect the plot or characters? What do the places in which the characters live, work, and visit tell the reader about them?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the protagonist of the novel, Albert Albinus. What character traits define him? What issues or struggles does he face in the novel? Is he a tragic hero? Why or why not?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)