|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Margot lets Axel kiss her in Chapter 19?
2. Who had been Albert, Margot, and Axel's dining room neighbor for the last two or three days in Chapter 29?
3. What does Margot say Axel is in the habit of confiding in her?
4. Where is the chalet that Margot rents from an Irish couple?
5. What saved Albert's car from plunging over the parapet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Albert's trip to Zurich from France like?
2. What does Albert find different about his vacation with Margot in Rouginard as opposed to their vacation in Solfi?
3. What does Axel convince Margot to tell Albert about the chalet in Chapter 36? Why?
4. What does Chapter 31 begin with an explanation and description of?
5. What does Axel tell the cook he hires from the mountain village?
6. What story does Axel tell Albert about his sculptor friend?
7. Why was Axel delighted that Margot was a failure on the screen?
8. What does the retired French colonel tell Albert which makes him suspicious?
9. How does Margot feel about her film debut?
10. What does Albert do when he finds out about Margot and Axel's affair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the term 'femme fatale'. What is a femme fatale? Who is the femme fatale in the novel "Laughter in the Dark?" What does the femme fatale do to the protagonist?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss "Laughter in the Dark" as a tragedy. What is a tragedy? What are the elements of a tragedy? Why is "Laughter in the Dark" an example of a tragedy?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of betrayal in the novel "Laughter in the Dark." Who betrays whom in the novel? What effect does this betrayal have on the characters and the plot?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)