|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the architectural style of the hotel in Rouginard?
2. At the chalet, which room did Axel choose for himself?
3. To what does Margot compare her appearance onscreen?
4. What could Albert hear from outside the hospital window?
5. What does Axel find left behind in Albert and Margot's hotel room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the retired French colonel tell Albert which makes him suspicious?
2. What happens when Margot allows Axel to kiss her in Chapter 19?
3. What lie does Albert tell Margot at the end of Chapter 24?
4. What does Axel convince Margot to tell Albert about the chalet in Chapter 36? Why?
5. What happens as a result of the layout of the hotel where Albert, Margot, and Axel stay at in Rouginard?
6. What does Chapter 31 begin with an explanation and description of?
7. After running into Margot in the street, what does Kaspar think to himself about her?
8. What does Axel tell the cook he hires from the mountain village?
9. How does the author make it clear that Elisabeth senses when Albert's accident occurs?
10. In Chapter 29, what does Udo say he heard while on the bus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of adultery in the novel "Laughter in the Dark." Who commits adultery in the novel? What effect does said adultery have on the lives of the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the novel "Laughter in the Dark." Who is jealous of whom in the novel? How do the characters show their jealousy, and is their jealousy based on anything other than their insecurities?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss "Laughter in the Dark" as a tragedy. What is a tragedy? What are the elements of a tragedy? Why is "Laughter in the Dark" an example of a tragedy?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)