|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Margot visits the street she grew up on, what business has replaced the stationery shop?
2. What lasting injury does Albert suffer as a result of his car accident?
3. Which of the following is NOT something Albert is said to be incapable of in Chapter 31?
4. Which of the following does Albert not see out of the window of his flat on the day of Irma's funeral?
5. In Chapter 32, who does Elisabeth observe from her balcony?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Axel annoy Paul at Albert's building in Chapter 20?
2. Why does Udo greet Albert with a bit of touchiness when they run into each other for a second time?
3. In Chapter 29, what does Udo say he heard while on the bus?
4. What lie does Albert tell Margot at the end of Chapter 24?
5. What does Albert resemble when he gets out of the car at the chalet in Chapter 35?
6. What suggestion does Axel make to Albert in Chapter 25?
7. How does Margot pass the time while she is recuperating from her illness in Chapter 20?
8. What does the retired French colonel tell Albert which makes him suspicious?
9. What does Axel tell the cook he hires from the mountain village?
10. What is Albert's trip to Zurich from France like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "Laughter in the Dark." What happens at the end of the novel? Is the ending surprising? Are there any unanswered questions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of betrayal in the novel "Laughter in the Dark." Who betrays whom in the novel? What effect does this betrayal have on the characters and the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Albert and Margot. What are their first impressions of each other? Who pursues whom? What attracts Albert to Margot? What attracts Margot to Albert? Why is Margot involved with Albert? What do they desire from one another?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)