|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 33, what operation has Albert undergone?
2. What does Albert decide not to tell Udo about?
3. What does Albert remind Margot that he is buying for her in order to cheer her up in Chapter 24?
4. In Chapter 31, what does an old woman collect high above the road?
5. What is Axel said to have an itch to do to his fellow men in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Axel delighted that Margot was a failure on the screen?
2. What lie does Albert tell Margot at the end of Chapter 24?
3. How does Axel annoy Paul at Albert's building in Chapter 20?
4. What does Albert think might happen at Irma's funeral?
5. After running into Margot in the street, what does Kaspar think to himself about her?
6. How does the author make it clear that Elisabeth senses when Albert's accident occurs?
7. What does the retired French colonel tell Albert which makes him suspicious?
8. What happens when Margot allows Axel to kiss her in Chapter 19?
9. What suggestion does Axel make to Albert in Chapter 25?
10. What happens as a result of the layout of the hotel where Albert, Margot, and Axel stay at in Rouginard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of ambition in the novel "Laughter in the Dark." What is Margot's ambition? What is her plan to achieve her dreams? Is she an ambitious person? What is Albert's ambition?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "Laughter in the Dark." What happens at the end of the novel? Is the ending surprising? Are there any unanswered questions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Albert and Elisabeth. How does Albert describe his relationship with Elisabeth? Are they happily married? What does Albert do to end their relationship? How does Elisabeth react? How does this event change both of their lives?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)