|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Axel say is "the point of life's joke" in Chapter 22?
2. In Chapter 34, what does Margot read aloud to Albert in the hospital?
3. In the story Axel tells about his sculptor friend. Where do the sculptor and his wife walk to at the end?
4. What language does Udo say he would gladly write in since Germany is unappreciative of his work?
5. What does the air at Rouginard smell of in Chapter 28?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Albert do when he finds out about Margot and Axel's affair?
2. What happens when Margot allows Axel to kiss her in Chapter 19?
3. What does Albert resemble when he gets out of the car at the chalet in Chapter 35?
4. What does Axel convince Margot to tell Albert about the chalet in Chapter 36? Why?
5. What does Albert think might happen at Irma's funeral?
6. How does Margot feel about her film debut?
7. Why was Axel delighted that Margot was a failure on the screen?
8. What does Axel tell the cook he hires from the mountain village?
9. After running into Margot in the street, what does Kaspar think to himself about her?
10. Why does Udo greet Albert with a bit of touchiness when they run into each other for a second time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the setting of the novel "Laughter in the Dark." Where is the novel set? What time period does the novel take place in? Does this time period affect the plot or characters? What do the places in which the characters live, work, and visit tell the reader about them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Elisabeth's premonitions in the novel. Why does she have premonitions, and what do they often forecast? When did her premonitions begin? What does she make of her premonitions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of attraction and lust in the novel "Laughter in the Dark." Who is attracted to whom in the novel? How do these characters show their attraction or lust for others? How does their attraction cause trouble for them?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)