|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 34, what does Margot read aloud to Albert in the hospital?
2. Who gossips about Albert at the end of Chapter 22?
3. Axel tells the cook that Margot is _____________.
4. What does Margot say Axel is in the habit of confiding in her?
5. What is the destination of the mail plane mentioned in Chapter 32?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Axel convince Margot to tell Albert about the chalet in Chapter 36? Why?
2. After running into Margot in the street, what does Kaspar think to himself about her?
3. What does Albert think might happen at Irma's funeral?
4. What does Albert do when he finds out about Margot and Axel's affair?
5. What happens as a result of the layout of the hotel where Albert, Margot, and Axel stay at in Rouginard?
6. What lie does Albert tell Margot at the end of Chapter 24?
7. What does Chapter 31 begin with an explanation and description of?
8. Why was Axel delighted that Margot was a failure on the screen?
9. How does Margot feel about her film debut?
10. What happens when Margot allows Axel to kiss her in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the genre of the novel "Laughter in the Dark." What is the genre of the work? What elements are found in this genre and this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of irony in the novel "Laughter in the Dark." What is irony, and what are the three types of irony? Are all three types of irony present in the novel? What are some examples of irony found in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of deceit. What acts of deceit occur in the novel? Who are deceitful characters? How do they affect the other characters lives? Does truth prevail?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)