|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gossips about Albert at the end of Chapter 22?
2. What lie does Albert tell Margot about Elisabeth?
3. Where is the chalet that Margot rents from an Irish couple?
4. What is the name of the cook who works at the chalet?
5. What could Albert hear from outside the hospital window?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Axel tell Albert about his sculptor friend?
2. What happens as a result of the layout of the hotel where Albert, Margot, and Axel stay at in Rouginard?
3. What does Albert think might happen at Irma's funeral?
4. What does Axel tell the cook he hires from the mountain village?
5. What is Albert's trip to Zurich from France like?
6. What suggestion does Axel make to Albert in Chapter 25?
7. How does Axel annoy Paul at Albert's building in Chapter 20?
8. What does Axel convince Margot to tell Albert about the chalet in Chapter 36? Why?
9. What happens when Margot allows Axel to kiss her in Chapter 19?
10. What occurs when Margot removes her coat in Chapter 31?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss "Laughter in the Dark" as a tragedy. What is a tragedy? What are the elements of a tragedy? Why is "Laughter in the Dark" an example of a tragedy?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the term 'femme fatale'. What is a femme fatale? Who is the femme fatale in the novel "Laughter in the Dark?" What does the femme fatale do to the protagonist?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Albert and Margot. What are their first impressions of each other? Who pursues whom? What attracts Albert to Margot? What attracts Margot to Albert? Why is Margot involved with Albert? What do they desire from one another?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)