|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Albert offer to do to the movie to calm Margot?
2. What language does Udo say he would gladly write in since Germany is unappreciative of his work?
3. In Chapter 21, what does Albert think might happen if he goes to Irma's funeral?
4. How does Albert feel on the train ride to Zurich?
5. In Chapter 31, Albert says that he thinks he sent their luggage on to __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Axel annoy Paul at Albert's building in Chapter 20?
2. What does Albert come to realize as he lies alone in his hospital bed in Chapter 33?
3. What does the retired French colonel tell Albert which makes him suspicious?
4. Why does Udo greet Albert with a bit of touchiness when they run into each other for a second time?
5. What happens when Margot allows Axel to kiss her in Chapter 19?
6. What does Axel tell the cook he hires from the mountain village?
7. What does Albert think might happen at Irma's funeral?
8. What lie does Albert tell Margot at the end of Chapter 24?
9. What story does Axel tell Albert about his sculptor friend?
10. How does the author make it clear that Elisabeth senses when Albert's accident occurs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of betrayal in the novel "Laughter in the Dark." Who betrays whom in the novel? What effect does this betrayal have on the characters and the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "Laughter in the Dark." What happens at the end of the novel? Is the ending surprising? Are there any unanswered questions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the term 'femme fatale'. What is a femme fatale? Who is the femme fatale in the novel "Laughter in the Dark?" What does the femme fatale do to the protagonist?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)