|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 34, when Margot leaves the hospital, where does she tell Albert she is going?
2. What does the air at Rouginard smell of in Chapter 28?
3. What does Albert look like to Axel when he gets out of the car at the chalet?
4. What does Axel do while he works in his studio?
5. What does Albert decide not to tell Udo about?
Short Essay Questions
1. After running into Margot in the street, what does Kaspar think to himself about her?
2. What lie does Albert tell Margot at the end of Chapter 24?
3. What story does Axel tell Albert about his sculptor friend?
4. Why was Axel delighted that Margot was a failure on the screen?
5. What does Axel convince Margot to tell Albert about the chalet in Chapter 36? Why?
6. What happens when Margot allows Axel to kiss her in Chapter 19?
7. What happens as a result of the layout of the hotel where Albert, Margot, and Axel stay at in Rouginard?
8. How does the author make it clear that Elisabeth senses when Albert's accident occurs?
9. What does Albert think might happen at Irma's funeral?
10. What suggestion does Axel make to Albert in Chapter 25?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of adultery in the novel "Laughter in the Dark." Who commits adultery in the novel? What effect does said adultery have on the lives of the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Elisabeth's premonitions in the novel. Why does she have premonitions, and what do they often forecast? When did her premonitions begin? What does she make of her premonitions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of attraction and lust in the novel "Laughter in the Dark." Who is attracted to whom in the novel? How do these characters show their attraction or lust for others? How does their attraction cause trouble for them?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)