|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hangs in the back window of Albert's car?
2. What service does Axel offer to provide Albert for his trip to the South?
3. Where does the ocular specialist recommend Albert go for the sake of his eyes?
4. What is the architectural style of the hotel in Rouginard?
5. What does Axel say is "the point of life's joke" in Chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Nabokov's use of suspense in the novel "Laughter in the Dark." When does the author create suspense and why? What effect does suspense have on the tone of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author of the novel "Laughter in the Dark." What are some of his other works? What are some parallels between "Laughter in the Dark" and his other work? Are there any elements in "Laughter in the Dark" which Nabokov borrows from his own experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Axel and Margot. What does Axel feel for Margot? What does Margot feel for Axel? What struggles do they face in their relationship? Are their feelings for each other genuine?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)