|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What service does Axel offer to provide Albert for his trip to the South?
2. In Chapter 34, what does Margot read aloud to Albert in the hospital?
3. Where does the ocular specialist recommend Albert go for the sake of his eyes?
4. In Chapter 27, where does Albert run off to thinking he will still be able to catch his bus?
5. What does Axel do while Albert and Margot pack up and leave the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Albert come to realize as he lies alone in his hospital bed in Chapter 33?
2. What does Axel convince Margot to tell Albert about the chalet in Chapter 36? Why?
3. What does Albert find different about his vacation with Margot in Rouginard as opposed to their vacation in Solfi?
4. What happens when Margot allows Axel to kiss her in Chapter 19?
5. How does Axel annoy Paul at Albert's building in Chapter 20?
6. What does Albert resemble when he gets out of the car at the chalet in Chapter 35?
7. How does Margot pass the time while she is recuperating from her illness in Chapter 20?
8. What story does Axel tell Albert about his sculptor friend?
9. What suggestion does Axel make to Albert in Chapter 25?
10. What does the retired French colonel tell Albert which makes him suspicious?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of betrayal in the novel "Laughter in the Dark." Who betrays whom in the novel? What effect does this betrayal have on the characters and the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the novel "Laughter in the Dark." Who is jealous of whom in the novel? How do the characters show their jealousy, and is their jealousy based on anything other than their insecurities?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Axel and Margot. What does Axel feel for Margot? What does Margot feel for Axel? What struggles do they face in their relationship? Are their feelings for each other genuine?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)