|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 34, what does Margot read aloud to Albert in the hospital?
2. What lie does Albert tell Margot about Elisabeth?
3. What is the name of the hotel Albert, Margot, and Axel are staying at in Rouginard?
4. How long does Albert wait at Paul's house before Irma dies?
5. While sitting with Margot in their hotel room in Chapter 30, what could Albert hear from outside?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lie does Albert tell Margot at the end of Chapter 24?
2. What suggestion does Axel make to Albert in Chapter 25?
3. What does Albert think might happen at Irma's funeral?
4. In Chapter 29, what does Udo say he heard while on the bus?
5. What does Albert do when he finds out about Margot and Axel's affair?
6. Why does Udo greet Albert with a bit of touchiness when they run into each other for a second time?
7. What does Albert come to realize as he lies alone in his hospital bed in Chapter 33?
8. How does Margot feel about her film debut?
9. What does Chapter 31 begin with an explanation and description of?
10. How does Margot pass the time while she is recuperating from her illness in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of adultery in the novel "Laughter in the Dark." Who commits adultery in the novel? What effect does said adultery have on the lives of the main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the motif of deceit. What acts of deceit occur in the novel? Who are deceitful characters? How do they affect the other characters lives? Does truth prevail?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the conclusion of the novel "Laughter in the Dark." What happens at the end of the novel? Is the ending surprising? Are there any unanswered questions?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)