|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Axel tells the cook that Margot is _____________.
2. Why does Albert stop the car suddenly in Chapter 31?
3. While sitting with Margot in their hotel room in Chapter 30, what could Albert hear from outside?
4. Who had been Albert, Margot, and Axel's dining room neighbor for the last two or three days in Chapter 29?
5. What does Irma dream about when she goes to sleep in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chapter 31 begin with an explanation and description of?
2. What does Axel tell the cook he hires from the mountain village?
3. What does Albert resemble when he gets out of the car at the chalet in Chapter 35?
4. What does Albert think might happen at Irma's funeral?
5. How does Margot pass the time while she is recuperating from her illness in Chapter 20?
6. What suggestion does Axel make to Albert in Chapter 25?
7. In Chapter 29, what does Udo say he heard while on the bus?
8. How does Margot feel about her film debut?
9. After running into Margot in the street, what does Kaspar think to himself about her?
10. What occurs when Margot removes her coat in Chapter 31?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss "Laughter in the Dark" as a tragedy. What is a tragedy? What are the elements of a tragedy? Why is "Laughter in the Dark" an example of a tragedy?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the genre of the novel "Laughter in the Dark." What is the genre of the work? What elements are found in this genre and this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Albert and Margot. What are their first impressions of each other? Who pursues whom? What attracts Albert to Margot? What attracts Margot to Albert? Why is Margot involved with Albert? What do they desire from one another?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)