|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Axel ask Dorianna at the end of Chapter 23?
2. What does Axel do while Albert and Margot pack up and leave the hotel?
3. While sick, how does Margot amuse herself in Chapter 20?
4. How does Margot react to the news that Irma is deathly ill?
5. At the beginning of Chapter 33, what operation has Albert undergone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Albert think might happen at Irma's funeral?
2. What lie does Albert tell Margot at the end of Chapter 24?
3. Why was Axel delighted that Margot was a failure on the screen?
4. What does Albert resemble when he gets out of the car at the chalet in Chapter 35?
5. How does the author make it clear that Elisabeth senses when Albert's accident occurs?
6. What does Albert find different about his vacation with Margot in Rouginard as opposed to their vacation in Solfi?
7. After running into Margot in the street, what does Kaspar think to himself about her?
8. What happens when Margot allows Axel to kiss her in Chapter 19?
9. What story does Axel tell Albert about his sculptor friend?
10. In Chapter 29, what does Udo say he heard while on the bus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of irony in the novel "Laughter in the Dark." What is irony, and what are the three types of irony? Are all three types of irony present in the novel? What are some examples of irony found in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss "Laughter in the Dark" as a tragedy. What is a tragedy? What are the elements of a tragedy? Why is "Laughter in the Dark" an example of a tragedy?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the term 'femme fatale'. What is a femme fatale? Who is the femme fatale in the novel "Laughter in the Dark?" What does the femme fatale do to the protagonist?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)