|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Irma dream about when she goes to sleep in Chapter 19?
2. What does Albert look like to Axel when he gets out of the car at the chalet?
3. What hangs in the back window of Albert's car?
4. In Chapter 34, when Margot leaves the hospital, where does she tell Albert she is going?
5. What is characteristic of the road that Albert and Margot drove down, away from Rouginard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Margot allows Axel to kiss her in Chapter 19?
2. What occurs when Margot removes her coat in Chapter 31?
3. What does the retired French colonel tell Albert which makes him suspicious?
4. How does the author make it clear that Elisabeth senses when Albert's accident occurs?
5. What story does Axel tell Albert about his sculptor friend?
6. After running into Margot in the street, what does Kaspar think to himself about her?
7. Why was Axel delighted that Margot was a failure on the screen?
8. What happens as a result of the layout of the hotel where Albert, Margot, and Axel stay at in Rouginard?
9. In Chapter 29, what does Udo say he heard while on the bus?
10. What does Albert do when he finds out about Margot and Axel's affair?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of irony in the novel "Laughter in the Dark." What is irony, and what are the three types of irony? Are all three types of irony present in the novel? What are some examples of irony found in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Albert and Elisabeth. How does Albert describe his relationship with Elisabeth? Are they happily married? What does Albert do to end their relationship? How does Elisabeth react? How does this event change both of their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the novel "Laughter in the Dark." Who is jealous of whom in the novel? How do the characters show their jealousy, and is their jealousy based on anything other than their insecurities?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)