|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Elisabeth in Chapter 7?
2. Why did Axel leave Germany as a young man?
3. In Chapter 8, what is the servant girl whom Albert asks for information about Margot doing?
4. Who does an Englishwoman mistake Margot for?
5. In Chapter 10, what amazes Albert about Margot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Margot want to buy for her trip with Albert to Solfi?
2. What does Margot tell Albert when he asks how she found out his name?
3. What can Albert tell by watching the expression on Margot's face at the dinner party in Chapter 16?
4. What did Margot think of Elisabeth based on her photo?
5. What does Albert decide he must do in order to stop tormenting himself about his family's absence?
6. In Chapter 7, what is said about Elisabeth's view of her marriage with Albert?
7. Why did Albert suspect Margot was hiding in his library?
8. As described in Chapter 7, what did Paul overhear one day on the telephone?
9. Who does Albert spot in the audience at the hockey game, and how does he react?
10. In Chapter 10, what amazes Albert about Margot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the motif of jealousy in the novel "Laughter in the Dark." Who is jealous of whom in the novel? How do the characters show their jealousy, and is their jealousy based on anything other than their insecurities?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Elisabeth's premonitions in the novel. Why does she have premonitions, and what do they often forecast? When did her premonitions begin? What does she make of her premonitions?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Albert and Margot. What are their first impressions of each other? Who pursues whom? What attracts Albert to Margot? What attracts Margot to Albert? Why is Margot involved with Albert? What do they desire from one another?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)