|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Albert said to smell like?
2. What did an old man buy for Margot before dying?
3. Who does an Englishwoman mistake Margot for?
4. What animal did Elisabeth and Paul watch at a park one summer day?
5. What game does Axel love to play, even in his dreams?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Albert and his wife as the novel begins.
2. At the beginning of the novel what project is Albert trying to get off the ground?
3. What does Albert notice when he returns home after spending the night with Margot in Chapter 9?
4. Who does Albert spot in the audience at the hockey game, and how does he react?
5. What excuse does Albert tell Paul for being locked in the bedroom?
6. What is the reaction of Albert's acquaintances to the news that Elisabeth has moved out?
7. How does Margot end up acting in a film in Chapter 15?
8. What complaints does Margot have about working on the film set?
9. How is Margot described when Albert first sees her?
10. What did Margot think of Elisabeth based on her photo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of irony in the novel "Laughter in the Dark." What is irony, and what are the three types of irony? Are all three types of irony present in the novel? What are some examples of irony found in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Axel and Margot. What does Axel feel for Margot? What does Margot feel for Axel? What struggles do they face in their relationship? Are their feelings for each other genuine?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of ambition in the novel "Laughter in the Dark." What is Margot's ambition? What is her plan to achieve her dreams? Is she an ambitious person? What is Albert's ambition?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)