|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Albert, who locked him in the bedroom?
2. What does Axel give to Margot after they leave the dinner party?
3. In Chapter 4, when Albert wakes up in the morning, what is Elisabeth doing?
4. What grew in front of Margot's new building?
5. What does Albert offer Otto before shutting the door in his face in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Albert and his wife as the novel begins.
2. How does Elisabeth find out about Albert's affair?
3. What reckless behavior does Margot engage in after Axel leaves?
4. What is the reaction of Albert's acquaintances to the news that Elisabeth has moved out?
5. Who does Albert spot in the audience at the hockey game, and how does he react?
6. How is Margot described when Albert first sees her?
7. What can Albert tell by watching the expression on Margot's face at the dinner party in Chapter 16?
8. At the beginning of the novel what project is Albert trying to get off the ground?
9. As described in Chapter 7, what did Paul overhear one day on the telephone?
10. What does Albert notice when he returns home after spending the night with Margot in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Elisabeth's premonitions in the novel. Why does she have premonitions, and what do they often forecast? When did her premonitions begin? What does she make of her premonitions?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship between Albert and Elisabeth. How does Albert describe his relationship with Elisabeth? Are they happily married? What does Albert do to end their relationship? How does Elisabeth react? How does this event change both of their lives?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of irony in the novel "Laughter in the Dark." What is irony, and what are the three types of irony? Are all three types of irony present in the novel? What are some examples of irony found in the novel?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)