|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Irma hear from the street that makes her look outside in Chapter 19?
(a) A dog barking.
(c) Her father's whistle.
(d) Children yelling.
2. How long does Albert wait at Paul's house before Irma dies?
(a) Three hours.
(b) Five hours.
(c) Thirty minutes.
(d) Two days.
3. What does Axel drop to the floor which alarms Albert in Chapter 36?
(a) A boot.
(b) A fork.
(c) A book.
(d) A plate.
4. What is the destination of the mail plane mentioned in Chapter 32?
(c) St. Cassien.
5. What does Axel ask Dorianna at the end of Chapter 23?
(a) If she wanted to go for a drink.
(b) If she was a fan of Bach.
(c) If she had ever been to America.
(d) If she had read Tolstoy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something Albert is said to be incapable of in Chapter 31?
2. How did Margot feel at the sight of Albert grieving for Irma?
3. What does Margot say Axel is in the habit of confiding in her?
4. What does Axel do while Albert and Margot pack up and leave the hotel?
5. What does Margot fling at Albert when he is trying to console her about her screen failure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Albert's trip to Zurich from France like?
2. What does Albert come to realize as he lies alone in his hospital bed in Chapter 33?
3. What does Albert resemble when he gets out of the car at the chalet in Chapter 35?
4. What does Chapter 31 begin with an explanation and description of?
5. How does Margot feel about her film debut?
6. What does Axel tell the cook he hires from the mountain village?
7. What does the retired French colonel tell Albert which makes him suspicious?
8. How does Axel annoy Paul at Albert's building in Chapter 20?
9. What story does Axel tell Albert about his sculptor friend?
10. After running into Margot in the street, what does Kaspar think to himself about her?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)