|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Margot try to catch as she and Albert return to their room in Chapter 13?
(a) A butterfly.
(b) A firefly.
(c) A mouse.
(d) A cricket.
2. What was Albert's "one small request" when he met Margot in the street in Chapter 6?
(a) For them to take a taxi.
(b) For Margot to take his arm.
(c) For him to hold Margot's umbrella for her.
(d) For Margot to walk through the park with him.
3. After tea, what did Margot go to buy in Chapter 10?
(a) Some cookies.
(b) A gramophone.
(c) A pillow.
(d) A magazine.
4. How long did Axel stay at Margot's flat?
(a) One month.
(b) One week.
(c) Two days.
(d) Three weeks.
5. Why did Axel leave Germany as a young man?
(a) To live with his cousin in America.
(b) To avoid the war.
(c) To escape legal charges.
(d) To take a job in Paris.
Short Answer Questions
1. What could Albert see by straining out of his dining room window?
2. In Chapter 16, who does Margot think the footman at the dinner party resembles?
3. What does Irma carry in her hand into her parents' room in Chapter 4?
4. How does Margot say Albert feels about her in Chapter 14?
5. What is the only topic Albert is not frank about with Elisabeth?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Margot weep after running into Axel again at the dinner party?
2. What can Albert tell by watching the expression on Margot's face at the dinner party in Chapter 16?
3. Who does Albert spot in the audience at the hockey game, and how does he react?
4. At the beginning of the novel what project is Albert trying to get off the ground?
5. How does Elisabeth find out about Albert's affair?
6. What excuse does Albert tell Paul for being locked in the bedroom?
7. When Margot runs into Otto and his friends , they take her into a bar. What memory does Margot recall?
8. In Chapter 7, what is said about Elisabeth's view of her marriage with Albert?
9. In Chapter 10, what amazes Albert about Margot?
10. In Chapter 4, what arrives in the mail?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)