|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While staying at Margot's, what does Albert write in his letter to Elisabeth?
(a) Margot has tricked him.
(b) Irma should come live with him.
(c) He wants a divorce.
(d) He still treasures her.
2. In Chapter 10, what does Margot consider to be a boon and a blessing?
(a) Rich men are attracted to her.
(b) She was born pretty.
(c) She can talk her way out of anything.
(d) She cannot have children.
3. When the news spreads that Albert and Elisabeth are living apart, which crowd is said to act like nothing has changed?
(a) The high-society crowd.
(b) That artistic crowd.
(c) The bohemian crowd.
(d) The intellectual crowd.
4. Who lets Albert into Margot's flat?
(a) Margot herself.
(b) Frau Levandovsky.
(c) Margot's cook.
5. Who is Albert's family physician?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Margot realize by visiting Albert's flat?
2. What is the name of Margot Peters' brother?
3. What does Otto tell Margot to get from Albert?
4. After tea, what did Margot go to buy in Chapter 10?
5. In Chapter 5, which part of Margot's ensemble is described as 'shabby'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Axel convince Margot to tell Albert about the chalet in Chapter 36? Why?
2. In Chapter 29, what does Udo say he heard while on the bus?
3. How does Margot behave when she visits Albert's flat for the first time?
4. What does Margot want to buy for her trip with Albert to Solfi?
5. At the beginning of the novel what project is Albert trying to get off the ground?
6. What happens as a result of the layout of the hotel where Albert, Margot, and Axel stay at in Rouginard?
7. What does Albert think might happen at Irma's funeral?
8. What did Margot think of Elisabeth based on her photo?
9. What does Albert come to realize as he lies alone in his hospital bed in Chapter 33?
10. What does Otto tell Albert when he comes to Margot's flat in Chapter 11?
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)