|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the news spreads that Albert and Elisabeth are living apart, which crowd is said to act like nothing has changed?
(a) The high-society crowd.
(b) The intellectual crowd.
(c) That artistic crowd.
(d) The bohemian crowd.
2. How does Margot say Albert feels about her in Chapter 14?
3. What does Margot hope Elisabeth will do when she reads the letter?
(a) Attack Albert.
(b) Disappear into the night.
(c) Confront Margot at her flat.
(d) Pretend she doesn't know about the affair.
4. What epidemic does Albert note seems to spread among the wives of his fellow scholars?
(a) An epidemic of forgetfullness.
(b) An epidemic of disapproval.
(c) An epidemic of headaches.
(d) An epidemic of charity.
5. What worried Elisabeth about the breakdown of her marriage?
(a) People would think Elisabeth had done something wrong.
(b) She would be left penniless.
(c) Albert would try to get custody of Irma.
(d) Irma would be teased at school.
6. What game does Axel love to play, even in his dreams?
7. In Chapter 4, when Albert wakes up in the morning, what is Elisabeth doing?
(a) Folding laundry.
(b) Making breakfast.
(c) Disciplining Irma.
(d) Looking at the mail.
8. How does Axel feel about finding Margot again?
9. What is the only topic Albert is not frank about with Elisabeth?
(d) His job.
10. What was Margot wearing when Albert visited her at her new apartment?
(a) A red knitted shawl.
(b) A shift dress.
(c) A housecoat.
(d) A kimono.
11. At the dinner party, what does Olga Waldheim tell stories about?
(a) Her gallery opening.
(b) Her childhood.
(c) Her cats.
(d) Her travels.
12. How is Axel's personality described in Chapter 18?
(a) As rude.
(b) As cutthroat.
(c) As cynical.
(d) As immature.
13. Who is the subject of a photographic study in the book Margot reads in Chapter 8?
(a) Joan Crawford.
(b) Greta Garbo.
(c) Betty Grable.
(d) Hedy Lamar.
14. When early for an appointment one day, where does Albert pass the time?
(a) Browsing in a hat shop.
(b) At a cafe.
(c) Reading in a park.
(d) At a cinema.
15. In Chapter 15, Albert has gotten used to never speaking to Margot about ____________.
(b) His wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What could Albert see by straining out of his dining room window?
2. At the end of Chapter 6, where does Albert look for Margot?
3. In Chapter 10, what does Margot consider to be a boon and a blessing?
4. What does Albert think has happened when Margot fails to invite him to her new flat?
5. How old is Elisabeth in Chapter 7?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)