|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Letter from a Caribbean Island" what does the old man do during the night?
2. In "How to Get a Baby", what should the woman beckon?
3. What emotion traps women according to the author in "5:00 A.M.: Writing as Ritual"?
4. "The Lesson of Teeth" says that what will happen if you dream of teeth?
5. What is described as eating away at a woman's life in "5:00 A.M.: Writing as Ritual"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Select three examples of mother/daughter relationships in "The Latin Deli". Describe each one and analyze what role mothers play in their families. How are mothers described? What is the author saying about the value of motherhood? Use examples from the text to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
"The Latin Deli" follows a girl through her maturation to womanhood. Trace the steps the narrator took to become an adult. Select four things that appear to be most vital in defining womanhood for an American Latina. What hurdles did she face? How did she overcome them and what was their lasting impact?
Essay Topic 3
What does El Building represent to the narrator and other characters of this novel? Using events that happened in the building, along with descriptions of it from the text, explain how El Building is a character and its role in developing "The Latin Deli".
This section contains 263 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)