|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Lydia come back to town in "Lydia"?
2. In "Letter from a Caribbean Island" what does the old man do during the night?
3. How many employees did Corazon and Manuel have at their store?
4. In "The Myth of the Latin Woman", what does one of the girl's colleagues tell her about Puerto Rican's clothing?
5. Who does Olga tell Joaquin to ignore?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the United States and Puerto Rico through the eyes of at least three characters. Explain why each character feels the way they do and try to include characters with opposing points of view.
Essay Topic 2
"The Latin Deli" follows a girl through her maturation to womanhood. Trace the steps the narrator took to become an adult. Select four things that appear to be most vital in defining womanhood for an American Latina. What hurdles did she face? How did she overcome them and what was their lasting impact?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the use of animals as symbols in "The Latin Deli". What is said about the relationship between humans and animals? How are animals used to develop this novel?
This section contains 241 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)