|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Advanced Biology", where is the woman going?
2. What does the old man in "Letter from a Caribbean Island" do one night after screaming with joy?
3. Why did the author decide to wake up at 5 A.M.?
4. What turning point is "5:00 A.M.: Writing as Ritual" about?
5. In "The Paterson Public Library", how many books does the girl check out to get her through the week?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator spends much time lamenting on place. According to the text, what is the value of place? How does one's location define who they are?
Essay Topic 2
Considering all the poems and chapters of "The Latin Deli", how do you think the author defines success? Use examples from the text to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the role of fathers in "The Latin Deli". How are fathers described? What actions do they take? How do they interact and develop the characters of their children? How does the Puerto Rican father figure fit into American society?
This section contains 214 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)