|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Letter from a Caribbean Island" what does the old man do during the night?
2. What is the woman going to promote in "Advanced Biology"?
3. How does Dona Ernestina decide to honor her husband and son in "Nada"?
4. Where does Marina watch an old man on the beach?
5. When does the girl say her looks became "exotic" in "The Story of My Body"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does money impact the characters of this novel? Select four characters and describe their relationship with money and what money means to them. How are the characters economically limited or successful? How do the characters of this novel define their relationships with money?
Essay Topic 2
Considering all the poems and chapters of "The Latin Deli", how do you think the author defines success? Use examples from the text to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze how food is used as a symbol in this novel. Provide four examples and describe how these symbols deepen the meaning of "The Latin Deli", move the plot forward and develop the characters.
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)