|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country was liberated in "A Legion of Dark Angels"?
2. What happen to some of the mother's prayers?
3. Where did the girl's father read her diary?
4. Where does the girl sometimes sleep in "Fever"?
5. In the grandmother's story in "The Witch's Husband", what does the wife do one night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Olga want Joaquin to remind her of?
2. How does the girl describe her father in "Fever"?
3. In "Unspoken", what does the mother want to tell her daughter?
4. In "Corazon's Cafe", why does Corazon say she was initially attracted to Manuel?
5. What does the girl say the book of dreams in Spanish does not tell her?
6. What does the girl learn about clothing in "The Myth of the Latin Woman"?
7. How did biology class conflict with the woman's beliefs in "Advanced Biology"?
8. What things did the girl have to do in "The Changeling" before she could eat dinner?
9. How does the library in "The Paterson Public Library" compare to the city it is in?
10. Why does the mother buy a bedspread for her daughter in "Not For Sale"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does money impact the characters of this novel? Select four characters and describe their relationship with money and what money means to them. How are the characters economically limited or successful? How do the characters of this novel define their relationships with money?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the struggles faced by the narrator's parents in regards to fidelity and infidelity. How are these actions seen through the eyes of the narrator as a child? How are they reflected on by the narrator as an adult? What is the hierarchy of family values in "The Latin Deli"?
Essay Topic 3
Several chapters and poems of this novel deal with dreams. What types of dreams do the characters have? How do they interpret them? How do you interpret them? What is the importance of dreams to this novel as a whole?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)