|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the grandmother's story, what does the husband thank God for?
2. What does the salesman do while telling a story in "Not For Sale"?
3. Why does the girl slip away from Manny at the party?
4. What color did "they" wear in "A Legion of Dark Angels"?
5. Why did the girl visit her grandfather in "The Witch's Husband"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the girl ignores her father in "Dividir: To Divide"?
2. Why does the girl's mother cry when she sees Castro on the television?
3. In "The Medium's Burden", why does the medium stay silent?
4. What happens when the medium's friends visit her in "The Medium's Burden"?
5. What does Olga write in her letters to Joaquin?
6. In "The Myth of the Latin Woman", what happens at a business meeting?
7. In "The Lesson of the Sugarcane", why does the girl feel she was taken to the car?
8. What does Eugene's mother say to the girl when she comes to visit?
9. In "Corazon's Cafe", why does Corazon say she was initially attracted to Manuel?
10. What happens when the chameleon looks at the narrator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does El Building represent to the narrator and other characters of this novel? Using events that happened in the building, along with descriptions of it from the text, explain how El Building is a character and its role in developing "The Latin Deli".
Essay Topic 2
Describe the struggles faced by the narrator's parents in regards to fidelity and infidelity. How are these actions seen through the eyes of the narrator as a child? How are they reflected on by the narrator as an adult? What is the hierarchy of family values in "The Latin Deli"?
Essay Topic 3
How is education represented in "The Latin Deli"? How is school described and what impact does it have on the characters? What is the author's commentary on education? What does she value most?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)