|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After leaving the shop in "An Early Mystery", what does the girl think about the woman?
2. What does the girl see at Juan de Dios's funeral that makes her run out?
3. What is the name of the salesman in "Not For Sale"?
4. Whose clothes did the girl wear in "The Changeling"?
5. What type of music can be heard playing in the narrator's apartment building?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the chameleon looks at the narrator?
2. What does Paciencia do during the night in "Paciencia"?
3. In "From the Book of Dreams in Spanish", what does the fruit represent?
4. In "Vida", what happens between the narrator and Gabriel?
5. How does the girl's mother respond to the girl going to visit Eugene?
6. What things did the girl have to do in "The Changeling" before she could eat dinner?
7. Why does the mother buy a bedspread for her daughter in "Not For Sale"?
8. What happens when the medium's friends visit her in "The Medium's Burden"?
9. In "The Lesson of the Sugarcane", why does the girl feel she was taken to the car?
10. What story does the grandmother tell the girl in "The Witch's Husband"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are elders treated in this novel? How does examining the role of elders help to describe Puerto Rican and American cultures? How are elders used as symbols? What is the author's message about heritage and family?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the role of fathers in "The Latin Deli". How are fathers described? What actions do they take? How do they interact and develop the characters of their children? How does the Puerto Rican father figure fit into American society?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the struggles faced by the narrator's parents in regards to fidelity and infidelity. How are these actions seen through the eyes of the narrator as a child? How are they reflected on by the narrator as an adult? What is the hierarchy of family values in "The Latin Deli"?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)