|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Eugene move from?
2. What happens when the girl goes to bed in "American History"?
3. What did the grandmother promise the grandfather when she returned from New York?
4. Why did the girl dress up in "The Changeling"?
5. What does the girl first notice about the woman that talks to her in the show in "An Early Mystery"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "5:00 A.M.: Writing as Ritual", how does the author help change her life?
2. How does the girl's mother respond to the girl going to visit Eugene?
3. What happens when the medium's friends visit her in "The Medium's Burden"?
4. How does the girl describe her father in "Fever"?
5. What things startle the girl when she goes to a party in "Twist and Shout"?
6. What happens when Lorraine catches the girl in "The Paterson Public Library"?
7. What happened when the girl slept in the same bed as her mother in "Fever"?
8. In "The Medium's Burden", why does the medium stay silent?
9. In "How to Get a Baby", what part of nature helps perpetuate life?
10. In "Vida", what happens between the narrator and Gabriel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the United States and Puerto Rico through the eyes of at least three characters. Explain why each character feels the way they do and try to include characters with opposing points of view.
Essay Topic 2
Several chapters and poems of this novel deal with dreams. What types of dreams do the characters have? How do they interpret them? How do you interpret them? What is the importance of dreams to this novel as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the use of animals as symbols in "The Latin Deli". What is said about the relationship between humans and animals? How are animals used to develop this novel?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)