|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "The Myth of the Latin Woman", what does one of the girl's colleagues tell her about Puerto Rican's clothing?
(a) They wear everything at once.
(b) They have too many accessories.
(c) They are always well tailored.
(d) They never seem to match.
2. When does the girl say her looks became "exotic" in "The Story of My Body"?
(a) High school.
(c) Trade school.
(d) Graduate school.
3. In "The Paterson Public Library", what does the woman credit for helping her escape the violence of her city?
(a) Her parents and books.
(b) Librarians and her parents.
(c) Her friends and books.
(d) Her friends and the librarians.
4. What does Lorraine tell the girl every day in "The Paterson Public Library"?
(a) That she will beat her up.
(b) That she will tell on her.
(c) That she will cheat off of her.
(d) That she will steal her money.
5. How much earlier did the author need to wake up to work on her craft in "5:00 A.M.: Writing as Ritual"?
(a) Three hours.
(b) One hour.
(c) She woke up an hour later.
(d) Two hours.
6. In "Guard Duty", what hangs over the Puerto Rican child's bed?
(a) A picture of the child.
(b) A picture of a solider.
(c) A picture of an angel.
(d) A picture of a farm.
7. What do the women who never marry do in "Woman Who Love Angels"?
(a) Write poetry.
(c) Play the piano.
8. Where does the woman in "Advanced Biology" visit her mother?
(a) New York.
(b) A nursing home.
(d) Puerto Rico.
9. Why do the neighbor's decide to voice their concerns to Dona Ernestina in "Nada"?
(a) Because they felt she was too lonely.
(b) Because of the people coming to the building.
(c) Because of the noise she had been making.
(d) Because Dona Ernestina knew the mayor.
10. Who does the chameleon look at after being moved in "The Chameleon"?
(a) The author.
(b) The gods.
(c) The reader.
(d) The child.
11. In "The Story of My Body", why was the girl removed from the store?
(a) For breaking a vase.
(b) For stealing candy.
(c) For not having any money.
(d) For touching a doll.
12. What did Juana reject in "Juana: An Old Story"?
(a) The church.
(b) The government.
(c) Her family.
(d) Her education.
13. What happens to the chameleon's cage in "The Chameleon"?
(a) It is given to someone else.
(b) It is cleaned.
(c) The bars are broken.
(d) The door is opened.
14. According to "How to Get a Baby", what should the woman do when she sees the form of her baby?
(a) Call it.
(b) Sit still.
(c) Run to it.
(d) Close her eyes.
15. Where did the woman in "Advanced Biology" spend her childhood?
(a) Puerto Rico.
(b) New York.
(c) New Jersey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Italian brothers call the girl in "The Story of My Body"?
2. In "The Story of My Body", how is the girl viewed in Puerto Rico?
3. What does Dona Ernestina do with the flags the government offered her?
4. Why has Lydia come back to town in "Lydia"?
5. In "How to Get a Baby", what should the woman beckon?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)