|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children do the girl's grandparents have?
2. Why did the girl stay home from school in "By Love Betrayed"?
(a) The building is closed.
(b) She forgot to do her homework.
(c) She pretends to be sick.
(d) It is a snow day.
3. What music does the girl always hear in "Twist and Shout"?
(a) The Beatles.
(b) Janis Joplin.
(c) The Rolling Stones.
(d) Jimi Hendrix.
4. In "The Lesson of the Sugarcane", what does the girl's mother want her to smell?
(a) Freshly cut grass.
(b) Flat tires.
(d) The sun.
5. What does the girl do with her diary at the end of "Absolution in the New Year"?
(a) Hides it.
(b) Burns it.
(c) Starts to write lies in it.
(d) Tears up the pages.
6. What color did "they" wear in "A Legion of Dark Angels"?
7. In "Absolution in the New Year", what does the girl's father feel the girl is becoming?
(a) A Jezebel.
(b) A liar.
(c) A fool.
(d) A thief.
8. What does the girl leave on the stove when she leaves her apartment in "Twist and Shout"?
(a) A pot of beans.
(b) An empty pot.
(c) A pot of rice.
(d) A carton of milk.
9. Who answers the door when the girl goes to study with Eugene?
(a) Eugene's mother.
(c) Eugene's father.
(d) Eugene's sister.
10. What does the girl first notice about the woman that talks to her in the show in "An Early Mystery"?
(a) Her clothes.
(b) Her eyes.
(c) Her voice.
(d) Her smell.
11. What does the girl watch out her bedroom window in "American History"?
12. Who says that sugarcane is dangerous?
(a) The mother.
(b) The girl.
(c) The father.
(d) A stranger.
13. How does the girl know what apartment her father is in in "By Love Betrayed"?
(a) He left her a note on the kitchen table.
(b) Her mother told her.
(c) She sees his toolbox.
(d) She hears him yelling through the door.
14. How is Fidel Castro described in "A Legion of Dark Angels"?
15. What did the grandmother promise the grandfather when she returned from New York?
(a) To stay by his side.
(b) To let him move to the United States.
(c) To cook him dinner every night.
(d) To raise his children.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the girl's father respond to the salesman in "Not For Sale"?
2. How does the girl's mother act with the shopkeeper in "An Early Mystery"?
3. How long did the girl's grandmother live in New York?
4. What type of music can be heard playing in the narrator's apartment building?
5. Where did the girl's family come from?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)