|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal is rumored to be among the sugarcane?
2. Why did the girl dress up in "The Changeling"?
(a) She wanted to have fun.
(b) She wanted to be like her brother.
(c) She wanted her father's attention.
(d) She wanted to grow up.
3. What does the girl do with her diary at the end of "Absolution in the New Year"?
(a) Hides it.
(b) Burns it.
(c) Tears up the pages.
(d) Starts to write lies in it.
4. In "Absolution in the New Year", what does the girl's mother offer to console her?
(d) A hug.
5. How old is the girl in "Absolution in the New Year"?
6. What happens when the girl goes to bed in "American History"?
(a) She writes in her journal.
(b) She makes a wish.
(c) She smiles.
(d) She cries.
7. Where did Eugene move from?
(d) South Carolina.
8. Where does the girl sometimes sleep in "Fever"?
(a) In bed with her mother.
(b) On the couch.
(c) In her father's car.
(d) On the floor.
9. How does the girl's mother react to the girl's father in "Fever"?
(a) She argues.
(b) She complains.
(c) She cries.
(d) She is silent.
10. What did the girl's father read in her diary?
(a) Friends that had betrayed her.
(b) The things she hated most.
(c) Her dreams for her future.
(d) Her first puppy love.
11. How does the girl's mother act with the shopkeeper in "An Early Mystery"?
(a) She compliments him.
(b) She is fearful of him.
(c) She argues with him.
(d) She ignores him.
12. What did "they" float through in "A Legion of Dark Angels"?
(a) The ocean.
(b) The crowd.
(d) The sky.
13. What does the girl notice about the type of voice her mother uses with the shopkeeper in "An Early Mystery"?
(a) It's like the one she uses with her father.
(b) It's unlike any voice she has heard.
(c) It's more soothing than she is used to hearing.
(d) It's quiter than normal.
14. What color is the fruit in "From the Book of Dreams in Spanish"?
15. Why isn't the girl allowed to drive?
(a) The family doesn't have a car.
(b) She failed her driving test.
(c) Her father won't let her.
(d) Her mother won't let her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the girl treat her father in "Dividir: To Divide"?
2. What does the girl's father quote when he sees Fidel Castro on the television?
3. What is the girl's father doing in "The Lesson of the Sugarcane"?
4. What does the girl do with the fruit she picks in "From the Book of Dreams in Spanish"?
5. What did the girl talk about when she was dressed up in "The Changeling"?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)