• A young, Puerto Rican girl doesn't completely fit in at her school.
• The girl watches as a new family moves in next-door and she becomes fascinated with their son, Eugene.
• The girl and Eugene develop a friendship and he invites her over to study.
• President Kennedy is assassinated and the girl's family is in mourning. Her mother doesn't want the girl to go out because she feels they should be respectful.
• The girl goes to Eugene's and his mother tells her to go home, that he doesn't need her help.
• The girl cries herself to sleep.
Not for Sale
• The girl's father is very strict.
• The girl makes up stories in her room.
• The girl's mother buys a bedspread from a salesman.
• The salesman tells a story and puts a ring on the girl's finger, trying to buy her as a wife for his son.
This section contains 1,827 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)