|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Sylvan?
2. What does Boo suggest that Lala should have on her mind?
3. What is Sunny's major?
4. What does Adolph say about Hitler going into Poland?
5. What does Joe realize?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Reba made for Adolph for Christmas? What does he think about it?
2. What exciting thing has happened to Lala?
3. What does Adolph read in the paper? How do the other men react to this news?
4. How do Joe and Sunny get into a heated discussion?
5. What does Reba say when Boo complains about Lala?
6. How does Boo respond to Adolph's comment about Hitler?
7. From where does Joe return? What does he have with him?
8. How does Lala's dress get torn?
9. How would Reba have acted, regarding Ballyhoo?
10. Why does Boo convince Lala to go to the dance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The end of the play is triumphant.
Part 1) How is it triumphant? What might be the author's reason for this?
Part 2) What do the characters learn about themselves? What do they learn about others?
Part 3) What is a new truth that both the readers as Sunny realize?
Essay Topic 2
There is a great deal of tension in this play.
Part 1) Give two examples of this tension. Why does this tension exist?
Part 2) How do the attitudes and opinions of those outside the family play in the family's identity?
Part 3) How does the tension in Europe reinforce the tension in this family's home and in American society?
Essay Topic 3
The family's country club is restricted.
Part 1) What are its restrictions? Why might it have these restrictions?
Part 2) What is ironic about this? What does it foreshadow?
Part 3) How does this restriction reflect what is taking place in American society, as well as in Europe, as mentioned by Adolph?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)