|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By whom is Sunny interrupted?
2. On a train stopping over in Baltimore, what is Reba's daughter, Sunny, doing?
3. How does Joe respond when Sunny says that having a Christmas tree does not mean they are not Jewish?
4. Who is the author of her book?
5. What does Sunny describe as a bunch of Jewish people trying to be Episcopalians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Adolph explain about the club?
2. Who is Peachy taking to the dance?
3. How does Lala's dress get torn?
4. How do Joe and Sunny get into a heated discussion?
5. What is Adolph's excuse for why Boo and her husband were not involved in the family business?
6. What happens after Joe leaves?
7. How does Sunny surprise Reba at the end of the scene? How does Reba feel about this?
8. From where does Joe return? What does he have with him?
9. What is Sunny reading? How does Joe respond? What is Sunny's reaction to his response?
10. What does Adolph reminds Boo about Sunny's father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The most important thing to Boo throughout the play is being socially acceptable.
Part 1) How do you know this is important to her? Why is it so?
Part 2) How does this need for acceptance affect decisions she makes?
Part 3) What does this desire for social acceptance reveal about her?
Essay Topic 2
Two important symbols set up how non-observant the Jewish family is.
Part 1) What are these two symbols? How do they show how unobservant they are?
Part 2) What is the significance of these two symbols?
Part 3) How are these symbols used throughout the rest of the play? Why are they used?
Essay Topic 3
The tearing of Lala's dress is symbolic.
Part 1) How does Lala's dress get torn? What is symbolic about this?
Part 2) What is the connection between this symbolism and the theme?
Part 3) What is ironic about the meaning behind the tearing of the dress and the relationship between Joe and Sunny?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)