|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Adolph, reading the paper, tells Reba to hurry and do what?
2. Why does Boo respond to Lala by saying she should be doing something more constructive, like calling Sylvan?
3. What had Sunny's father done for Boo?
4. How might Louisa have felt when Boo asked her if she knew anything about some money missing off Adolph's bureau?
5. How does Joe respond to this information?
Short Essay Questions
1. About what do Joe and Sunny talk, regarding her family's religious beliefs?
2. Why does Sunny not get a chance to respond to Joe invite to Ballyhoo?
3. What has Reba made for Adolph for Christmas? What does he think about it?
4. How does Lala explain the Christmas tree?
5. Who is Peachy taking to the dance?
6. What is Sunny reading? How does Joe respond? What is Sunny's reaction to his response?
7. How does the family react to Peachy's arrival?
8. What does boo think Lala should have on her mind, instead of movie stars?
9. How does this scene open?
10. Why does Boo convince Lala to go to the dance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Two important symbols set up how non-observant the Jewish family is.
Part 1) What are these two symbols? How do they show how unobservant they are?
Part 2) What is the significance of these two symbols?
Part 3) How are these symbols used throughout the rest of the play? Why are they used?
Essay Topic 2
The title of the play is "Last Night of Ballyhoo."
Part 1) What is Ballyhoo? What is the meaning of this title?
Part 2) What is significant about the title?
Part 3) How does this title support the central theme of the play?
Essay Topic 3
The family's country club is restricted.
Part 1) What are its restrictions? Why might it have these restrictions?
Part 2) What is ironic about this? What does it foreshadow?
Part 3) How does this restriction reflect what is taking place in American society, as well as in Europe, as mentioned by Adolph?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)