|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sunny say about reading her book?
2. Why does Boo accuse Adolph of playing favorites?
3. Why does Boo finally wake up Adolph?
4. Why does Lala say the tree cannot have a star?
5. What is Lala Levy doing as she decorates a Christmas tree while her aunt Reba watches and knits?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place at Ballyhoo?
2. What is Sunny reading? How does Joe respond? What is Sunny's reaction to his response?
3. How does Lala's dress get torn?
4. Why do Peachy's parents accept Lala? How do Boo and Adolph feel about this?
5. How does Joe react to Peachy's comments about the Standard Club and the Progressive Club? What does Peachy explain?
6. How does this scene open?
7. Over what do Boo and Reba argue? Why do they wake up Adolph?
8. What does Reba say about the two types of Jews?
9. Why does Boo convince Lala to go to the dance?
10. Is Peachy allergic to nuts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a central theme in this play.
Part 1) What is this theme? How do you know this is a central theme?
Part 2) How do these characters change throughout the play based on this theme? What do they each discover?
Part 3) What is the author's purpose for the reader or audience, according to the theme? What is the reader or audience member supposed to learn?
Essay Topic 2
Two important symbols set up how non-observant the Jewish family is.
Part 1) What are these two symbols? How do they show how unobservant they are?
Part 2) What is the significance of these two symbols?
Part 3) How are these symbols used throughout the rest of the play? Why are they used?
Essay Topic 3
The family's country club is restricted.
Part 1) What are its restrictions? Why might it have these restrictions?
Part 2) What is ironic about this? What does it foreshadow?
Part 3) How does this restriction reflect what is taking place in American society, as well as in Europe, as mentioned by Adolph?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)