|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did he have to drop out of college?
2. Where does he believe Sunny will not be going?
3. On a train stopping over in Baltimore, what is Reba's daughter, Sunny, doing?
4. What does Reba do when Lala says she is holding out hopes for another boy named Ferdy Nachman?
5. Why does Boo finally wake up Adolph?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Sunny not get a chance to respond to Joe invite to Ballyhoo?
2. What does Adolph explain about the club?
3. Why does Boo convince Lala to go to the dance?
4. How does Lala's dress get torn?
5. Why does Joe think Sunny will not attend Ballyhoo?
6. What takes place at Ballyhoo?
7. What happens after Joe leaves?
8. What had Sunny's professor said about religion?
9. What does Reba say when Boo complains about Lala?
10. What does boo think Lala should have on her mind, instead of movie stars?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a central theme in this play.
Part 1) What is this theme? How do you know this is a central theme?
Part 2) How do these characters change throughout the play based on this theme? What do they each discover?
Part 3) What is the author's purpose for the reader or audience, according to the theme? What is the reader or audience member supposed to learn?
Essay Topic 2
There is dramatic scene in Act II between Sunny and Joe.
Part 1) How is this the thematic and dramatic climax of the play?
Part 2) Why does this confrontation take place? How do their differences and lack of understanding play into this confrontation?
Part 3) What is ironic about what directly follows this confrontation?
Essay Topic 3
There is a serious confrontation between Joe and Sunny towards the end of the first act.
Part 1) Describe this confrontation. Why does it take place?
Part 2) How do the aspects that they first found attractive about one another now cause tension?
Part 3) How does the love triangle play into all of this tension and hostility? What is the connection between this hostility and the theme?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)