|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Reba tell Sunny she is glad?
2. Where is Louisa, their cook, going to work?
3. What had Sunny's father done for Boo?
4. What does Joe say he is glad to do?
5. How does Joe respond when Sunny says that having a Christmas tree does not mean they are not Jewish?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sunny surprise Reba at the end of the scene? How does Reba feel about this?
2. What happens after Joe leaves?
3. How does Sunny respond when Joe seems doubtful and does not seem to believe what she has to say?
4. Why do Peachy's parents accept Lala? How do Boo and Adolph feel about this?
5. What does Reba say when Boo complains about Lala?
6. What takes place at Ballyhoo?
7. What does Adolph call Lala, in her dress? Why does he call her this?
8. What takes place between Joe and Sunny?
9. What does Joe do when Sunny misquotes a Sabbath blessing?
10. What exciting thing has happened to Lala?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The tearing of Lala's dress is symbolic.
Part 1) How does Lala's dress get torn? What is symbolic about this?
Part 2) What is the connection between this symbolism and the theme?
Part 3) What is ironic about the meaning behind the tearing of the dress and the relationship between Joe and Sunny?
Essay Topic 2
Two important symbols set up how non-observant the Jewish family is.
Part 1) What are these two symbols? How do they show how unobservant they are?
Part 2) What is the significance of these two symbols?
Part 3) How are these symbols used throughout the rest of the play? Why are they used?
Essay Topic 3
There is a great deal of tension in this play.
Part 1) Give two examples of this tension. Why does this tension exist?
Part 2) How do the attitudes and opinions of those outside the family play in the family's identity?
Part 3) How does the tension in Europe reinforce the tension in this family's home and in American society?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)