|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lala respond when Boo says that Lala has to take her place in society?
(a) Because they are Jews, they have their own place in society.
(b) Because they are not practicing Jews, they have a place with the Christians.
(c) Because they're Jews, they have no place in society.
(d) They already have a place, because they live on a Protestant street.
2. About what does Reba tell Sunny she is glad?
(a) Sunny is going to spend the evening with her.
(b) Sunny is going to go to Ballyhoo.
(c) Sunny is going shopping with Lala.
(d) Sunny is going to college and studying.
3. What is Joe's response?
(a) His family does not celebrate Christmas, but adds that he will go home for Passover in the spring.
(b) His family is from Poland.
(c) He is a practicing Jew.
(d) His favorite food is Italian.
4. What does Reba comment to herself, regarding Sunny?
(a) She is sad Sunny is not more like her.
(b) She is happy Sunny is at least a little like her.
(c) She is sad Sunny is so much like her.
(d) She is happy Sunny is not like her.
5. From whom does Lala find out that Sylvan has already left?
(a) His mother.
(b) His cousin.
(c) His father.
(d) The housekeeper.
6. What does Lala complain that instead of fighting about Christmas trees, they should all be doing?
(a) Preparing a meal for the first day of Chanuka.
(b) Decorating the tree together.
(c) Getting ready for Christmas dinner.
(d) Celebrating because Clark Gable and other movie stars are in town for the world premiere of Gone with the Wind just a few blocks away.
7. When there is a knock at the door, and Boo thinks it is the police, who is it?
(b) A neighbor.
8. What does Boo do to discover that Sylvan left with his tuxedo and dancing shoes?
(a) She stops by his house and speaks with the housekeeper.
(b) She calls hi father.
(c) She calls the housekeeper back.
(d) She calls his mother.
9. What is Sunny's major?
10. How does Joe respond when Sunny says that having a Christmas tree does not mean they are not Jewish?
(a) It just means that they do not want to be Jewish.
(b) It just means they are both Jewish and Christian.
(c) It just means some are Christians and some are Jewish.
(d) It just means they are confused.
11. What is Lala Levy doing as she decorates a Christmas tree while her aunt Reba watches and knits?
(a) Singing Christmas carols.
(b) Listening to the radio.
(c) Singing Jewish songs.
(d) Humming to herself.
12. About what do Adolph and Sunny chat, right before Reba goes up to bed?
(a) Sunny's life at university.
(b) Sunny's childhood.
(c) Adolph's weekend.
(d) Their plans for Sunny's vacation.
13. Who is the author of her book?
(a) Vogue writers.
(b) Jane Austen.
(c) William Shakespeare.
(d) Upton Sinclair.
14. Why was Adolph unable to fit DeWald in?
(a) DeWald was not intelligent enough.
(b) He did not like DeWald.
(c) It never worked out.
(d) DeWald was not trustworthy.
15. What does Boo ask him?
(a) Whether he will be going home for Christmas.
(b) What is his favorite meal.
(c) Where his family is from.
(d) If he is a practicing Jew.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sunny say about reading her book?
2. Why does Boo ask Adolph why he is going down to pick up Sunny at the train station?
3. Where is Louisa, their cook, going to work?
4. Where does he believe Sunny will not be going?
5. How might Louisa have felt when Boo asked her if she knew anything about some money missing off Adolph's bureau?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)