|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The next morning, what are Reba and Adolph doing when Boo comes in with the morning paper?
(a) Reba is clearing away after breakfast and Adolph is doing some paperwork.
(b) Reba is listening to the radio and Adolph is cooking breakfast.
(c) Reba is knitting and Adolph is snoozing.
(d) Reba is cooking breakfast and Adolph is reading the newspaper.
2. What is Joe's response?
(a) His family is from Poland.
(b) His favorite food is Italian.
(c) His family does not celebrate Christmas, but adds that he will go home for Passover in the spring.
(d) He is a practicing Jew.
3. To what does this statement lead?
(a) If he has a girlfriend.
(b) If he would like to go to Ballyhoo with Lala.
(c) A discussion of what goes on at Ballyhoo.
(d) What he would like for dinner next time he comes.
4. From where do Lala and Boo return?
(a) A showing of "Gone with the Wind."
(c) A play.
(d) A walk.
5. When there is a knock at the door, and Boo thinks it is the police, who is it?
(b) A neighbor.
6. Why does Boo finally wake up Adolph?
(a) So he can say good night to Joe.
(b) So he can clean up the kitchen from dinner.
(c) So he can stop being rude.
(d) So he can have the final word.
7. Why does Reba toast Joe?
(a) She is welcoming him to Atlanta.
(b) He is an attractive man.
(c) He is a good speaker.
(d) She always enjoys company.
8. What does Lala then convince her mother to do?
(a) Go to to dinner.
(b) Let her go to a movie instead.
(c) Take a little trip.
(d) Go shopping for a dress with her.
9. What does he tell her?
(a) He was asked to look in on her by Adolph
(b) He thinks she is pretty.
(c) He has the seat next to the window.
(d) He is on his way to New York City.
10. What does Boo tell Lala about Sylvan?
(a) He is coming for dinner.
(b) He is in town visiting for the week.
(c) She has called him to discuss Ballyhoo.
(d) He was the one who called, saying he wants to speak to her.
11. What does he do as the scene ends?
(a) Leaves the train.
(b) He listens to Sunny recite a sonnet.
(c) He sits by Sunny.
(d) He shakes Sunny's hand.
12. What does Lala eagerly observe about Joe?
(a) He is very attractive.
(b) He will be around for Ballyhoo.
(c) He seems interested in her.
(d) He will be coming back later in the week.
13. How had Reba felt when she was young about Ballyhoo?
(a) Nervous about going.
(b) Silly aout going.
(c) Not interested in going.
(d) Worried about going.
14. Where is Louisa, their cook, going to work?
(a) In a restaurant.
(b) At the Arkwright's across the street.
(c) In a school.
(d) In a nursing home.
15. What does Adolph say about Hitler going into Poland?
(a) It does not look good.
(b) He is a crazy man.
(c) The Americans will get him.
(d) He will not take over Poland.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Boo accuse Adolph of playing favorites?
2. What does Lala lift from the lobby of the movie theatre?
3. How does Lala respond when Boo says that Lala has to take her place in society?
4. Who is the author of her book?
5. About what do Sunny and Adolph chat?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)