|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whom does Lala find out that Sylvan has already left?
(a) His cousin.
(b) The housekeeper.
(c) His mother.
(d) His father.
2. How does Reba react to this news?
(a) She congratulates her happily.
(b) She is disappointed.
(c) She is surprised.
(d) She tells her she is making a good decision.
3. Why does Reba toast Joe?
(a) She always enjoys company.
(b) He is a good speaker.
(c) She is welcoming him to Atlanta.
(d) He is an attractive man.
4. What does Lala lift from the lobby of the movie theatre?
(a) A popcorn machine.
(b) A poster-sized picture of Scarlett O'Hara.
(c) An autographed ticket from the trash.
(d) A ticket to see "Gone with the Wind."
5. How does Joe respond when Sunny says that having a Christmas tree does not mean they are not Jewish?
(a) It just means that they do not want to be Jewish.
(b) It just means they are both Jewish and Christian.
(c) It just means they are confused.
(d) It just means some are Christians and some are Jewish.
6. What does Adolph tell Sunny after Reba is gone?
(a) He found university brochures hidden on Sunny's father's desk when she was six years old, and comments on how proud he would be of her.
(b) He hopes she goes to Ballyhoo and meets someone special.
(c) He hopes she is enjoying college.
(d) He has deposited money in her account for college.
7. About what does Reba tell Sunny she is glad?
(a) Sunny is going to college and studying.
(b) Sunny is going to go to Ballyhoo.
(c) Sunny is going to spend the evening with her.
(d) Sunny is going shopping with Lala.
8. According to Reba what are two kinds of European Jews?
(a) Those who speak English and those who do not.
(b) Those from Western Europe and those from Eastern Europe
(c) Those from Northern Europe and those from Southern Europe.
(d) Those from Germany and those from other countries.
9. What is Joe's response?
(a) His family is from Poland.
(b) He is a practicing Jew.
(c) His favorite food is Italian.
(d) His family does not celebrate Christmas, but adds that he will go home for Passover in the spring.
10. As Reba runs upstairs to put on a dress, what does Boo ask Adolph?
(a) What has upset Reba.
(b) Where he and Reba are going.
(c) What he wants for dinner.
(d) What has upset him so much.
11. Where does the man say he has to go?
(a) To work.
(b) To dinner.
(c) To bed.
12. What does Adolph say about Hitler going into Poland?
(a) He is a crazy man.
(b) It does not look good.
(c) The Americans will get him.
(d) He will not take over Poland.
13. What does Boo say as Lala storms up to her room telling them all to stop looking at her?
(a) "When will we see that gentleman again?"
(b) "That kike you hired has no manners."
(c) "That Joe fella is very handsome."
(d) "That was very rude of you, Lala."
14. How does Lala respond when Boo says that Lala has to take her place in society?
(a) Because they are Jews, they have their own place in society.
(b) Because they are not practicing Jews, they have a place with the Christians.
(c) They already have a place, because they live on a Protestant street.
(d) Because they're Jews, they have no place in society.
15. What does Adolph remind Boo about Sunny's father?
(a) Adolph is her father, so he is allowed to favor her over Lala.
(b) He has left Sunny and Reba.
(c) He worked his fingers to the bone not only to provide the necessities of life for his family, but also to provide extras.
(d) He is not welcome in the house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Over what do Boo and Reba argue?
2. What does Reba think the consequences are of higher education?
3. The next morning, what is Sunny doing?
4. Why does Lala say the tree cannot have a star?
5. What does Lala then convince her mother to do?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)