|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lala eagerly observe about Joe?
(a) He will be coming back later in the week.
(b) He is very attractive.
(c) He will be around for Ballyhoo.
(d) He seems interested in her.
2. What does she tell him about her family?
(a) It is the only Jewish family on a socially mobile, very Protestant street.
(b) It is one of many Jewish families on the block.
(c) They love to have company come to visit.
(d) They are very strange, since they are not practicing Jews.
3. Over what do Boo and Reba argue?
(a) How the tradition of Ballyhoo got started.
(b) Where Ballyhoo will be this year.
(c) Whether or not they would allow their daughters to go.
(d) How much tickets cost.
4. Who is Sylvan?
(a) The boy next door.
(b) Sunny and Lala's cousin.
(c) The boy with whom Boo wants Lala to go to Ballyhoo.
(d) Lala's brother.
5. What does this man do?
(a) He tells her to move over.
(b) He sits next to her, silently.
(c) He introduces himself.
(d) He glares at her.
6. After some small talk about how Joe got his job with Adolph, what does Joe ask?
(a) If Sunny will go to Ballyhoo with him.
(b) Whether Sunny and her family really are Jewish.
(c) If her family practices their faith.
(d) Where is Sunny's family is from.
7. How does Reba react to this news?
(a) She is disappointed.
(b) She tells her she is making a good decision.
(c) She congratulates her happily.
(d) She is surprised.
8. What does Boo say as Lala storms up to her room telling them all to stop looking at her?
(a) "That kike you hired has no manners."
(b) "When will we see that gentleman again?"
(c) "That was very rude of you, Lala."
(d) "That Joe fella is very handsome."
9. What happens before she has a chance to answer?
(a) The train stops abruptly.
(b) The conductor calls "All Aboard!"
(c) Someone screams.
(d) The man leaves.
10. What does Boo convince Lala to do, regarding Sylvan?
(a) Call him.
(b) Go to his house.
(c) Forget about him.
(d) Ignore him.
11. About what do Adolph and Sunny chat, right before Reba goes up to bed?
(a) Sunny's childhood.
(b) Sunny's life at university.
(c) Their plans for Sunny's vacation.
(d) Adolph's weekend.
12. What does Lala lift from the lobby of the movie theatre?
(a) A ticket to see "Gone with the Wind."
(b) A poster-sized picture of Scarlett O'Hara.
(c) An autographed ticket from the trash.
(d) A popcorn machine.
13. How does Sunny respond when Lala asks how they know each other?
(a) They met on a bus.
(b) They met on the train.
(c) They met in college.
(d) They met at the train station.
14. According to Reba what are two kinds of European Jews?
(a) Those from Northern Europe and those from Southern Europe.
(b) Those from Western Europe and those from Eastern Europe
(c) Those from Germany and those from other countries.
(d) Those who speak English and those who do not.
15. Why does Boo respond to Lala by saying she should be doing something more constructive, like calling Sylvan?
(a) She wants to meet Vivian Leigh.
(b) She wants to watch as many movies as possible, to learn how to shoot a film.
(c) She needs to get an idea what she'll be in for at her opening night.
(d) She hopes Clark Gable will be at the premier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adolph do as Reba and Boo clear the table?
2. What will Joe Farkas, a young man from New York, be taking over?
3. What is Lala Levy doing as she decorates a Christmas tree while her aunt Reba watches and knits?
4. How does Reba describe the girl?
5. Where is Louisa, their cook, going to work?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)