|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Reba tell Sunny how proud she is of her?
(a) For being so smart.
(b) For liking a nice boy like Joe.
(c) For not going to the dance.
(d) For growing up so differently from her.
2. What does Sunny say about reading her book?
(a) She too loves Jane Austen.
(b) She would like to be a model for Vogue, someday.
(c) Train rides are good for reading Shakespeare.
(d) Reading communist writing does not make a person into one.
3. On a train stopping over in Baltimore, what is Reba's daughter, Sunny, doing?
(a) Sits reading
4. About what does Reba tell Sunny she is glad?
(a) Sunny is going to college and studying.
(b) Sunny is going shopping with Lala.
(c) Sunny is going to spend the evening with her.
(d) Sunny is going to go to Ballyhoo.
5. What does this man do?
(a) He introduces himself.
(b) He glares at her.
(c) He tells her to move over.
(d) He sits next to her, silently.
6. Boo says it is not enough to know that Sylvan is taking Lala to Ballyhoo. What does she need to know?
(a) Whether he is taking her to the dance on the last night.
(b) Whether Lala likes him.
(c) Whether Sylvan likes her.
(d) Whether Sylvan will propose.
7. Who starts a conversation with Sunny?
(a) A neighbor.
8. What does Boo ask Adolph to pay attention to, rather than what's going on halfway across the world?
(a) What is gong on in Atlanta.
(b) What is going on in his own home.
(c) What is going on in the United States.
(d) What is going on in Georgia.
9. Why does Boo ask Adolph why he is going down to pick up Sunny at the train station?
(a) She wants him to pick up some groceries instead.
(b) Whether or not she has a lot of luggage.
(c) Sunny can walk home.
(d) Sunny knows her way home perfectly well.
10. When Boo asks whether Sylvan asked her to Ballyhoo, how does Lala reply?
(a) Yes, so she needs to buy a new dress.
(b) No, he does not want to go with her.
(c) It did not come up and adds that she has hopes for someone else.
(d) No, he is taking his cousin.
11. How does Lala respond when Boo says that Lala has to take her place in society?
(a) Because they are Jews, they have their own place in society.
(b) They already have a place, because they live on a Protestant street.
(c) Because they are not practicing Jews, they have a place with the Christians.
(d) Because they're Jews, they have no place in society.
12. Why does Reba say that Lala came home from Michigan?
(a) She was homesick.
(b) She had flunked out.
(c) She had no friends.
(d) She did not have enough money.
13. Why does Boo finally wake up Adolph?
(a) So he can have the final word.
(b) So he can clean up the kitchen from dinner.
(c) So he can say good night to Joe.
(d) So he can stop being rude.
14. The next morning, what is Sunny doing?
(a) Trying on her dress.
(b) Listening to the radio.
15. What does he tell her?
(a) He has the seat next to the window.
(b) He is on his way to New York City.
(c) He thinks she is pretty.
(d) He was asked to look in on her by Adolph
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does this news about Sylvan convince everyone?
2. As Reba runs upstairs to put on a dress, what does Boo ask Adolph?
3. Why does Boo respond to Lala by saying she should be doing something more constructive, like calling Sylvan?
4. How does Reba react to this news?
5. Where does the man say he has to go?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)