|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom was young Reba similar?
2. According to Reba what are two kinds of European Jews?
(a) Those from Western Europe and those from Eastern Europe
(b) Those from Germany and those from other countries.
(c) Those who speak English and those who do not.
(d) Those from Northern Europe and those from Southern Europe.
3. Why does Boo respond to Lala by saying she should be doing something more constructive, like calling Sylvan?
(a) She hopes Clark Gable will be at the premier.
(b) She wants to watch as many movies as possible, to learn how to shoot a film.
(c) She wants to meet Vivian Leigh.
(d) She needs to get an idea what she'll be in for at her opening night.
4. On a train stopping over in Baltimore, what is Reba's daughter, Sunny, doing?
(d) Sits reading
5. What is Lala Levy doing as she decorates a Christmas tree while her aunt Reba watches and knits?
(a) Singing Christmas carols.
(b) Listening to the radio.
(c) Singing Jewish songs.
(d) Humming to herself.
6. What does she tell him about her family?
(a) They love to have company come to visit.
(b) They are very strange, since they are not practicing Jews.
(c) It is the only Jewish family on a socially mobile, very Protestant street.
(d) It is one of many Jewish families on the block.
7. What does Boo do when Reba asks some embarrassing questions?
(a) She begins to laugh.
(b) She tells her to be quiet.
(c) She takes her off into the kitchen.
(d) She apologizes for Reba's rude behavior.
8. What does Lala complain that instead of fighting about Christmas trees, they should all be doing?
(a) Celebrating because Clark Gable and other movie stars are in town for the world premiere of Gone with the Wind just a few blocks away.
(b) Getting ready for Christmas dinner.
(c) Preparing a meal for the first day of Chanuka.
(d) Decorating the tree together.
9. Why does Reba tell Sunny how proud she is of her?
(a) For not going to the dance.
(b) For being so smart.
(c) For liking a nice boy like Joe.
(d) For growing up so differently from her.
10. About what do Adolph and Sunny chat, right before Reba goes up to bed?
(a) Sunny's life at university.
(b) Adolph's weekend.
(c) Their plans for Sunny's vacation.
(d) Sunny's childhood.
11. Where do Lala and her mother go to get ready?
(b) In Boo's bedroom.
(c) In the bathroom.
12. Over what do Boo and Reba argue?
(a) Whether or not they would allow their daughters to go.
(b) Where Ballyhoo will be this year.
(c) How much tickets cost.
(d) How the tradition of Ballyhoo got started.
13. From where do Lala and Boo return?
(a) A walk.
(b) A play.
(c) A showing of "Gone with the Wind."
14. How does Joe respond when Sunny says that having a Christmas tree does not mean they are not Jewish?
(a) It just means they are both Jewish and Christian.
(b) It just means some are Christians and some are Jewish.
(c) It just means they are confused.
(d) It just means that they do not want to be Jewish.
15. Why does Boo ask Adolph why he is going down to pick up Sunny at the train station?
(a) She wants him to pick up some groceries instead.
(b) Sunny can walk home.
(c) Whether or not she has a lot of luggage.
(d) Sunny knows her way home perfectly well.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sunny say about reading her book?
2. What does Lala say when Boo asks her why she wants to go down to the theater?
3. Why does Reba toast Joe?
4. When there is a knock at the door, and Boo thinks it is the police, who is it?
5. About what does Lala complain as she is leaving?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)