|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Four days after Heywood and the girls enter Fort Henry, who is led to the fort?
2. Why is Heyward convinced not to pursue Magua?
(a) They will wait for him to return.
(b) It has gotten too dark.
(c) They cannot leave the girls alone.
(d) There are probably Iroquois in the area.
3. What happens to Heyward when he tries to defend Alice?
(a) His hands are bound.
(b) He is shot.
(c) He is knocked unconscious.
(d) He is made to take Alice's place.
4. After Magua gets away for a second time, what happens to the dead Hurons?
(a) They are scalped.
(b) They are thrown into the river.
(c) They are chopped into pieces.
(d) They are piled up and burned.
5. Who is invited to dinner at the French camp under a flag of truce?
(a) Cora Munro
(b) Alice Munro
(c) Colonel Munro
(d) Duncan Heyward
6. Who does Maj. Heyward elect to lead him and the young Munro women to Fort Henry?
(a) the psalmist
(b) a British sergeant major
(d) an Indian scout
7. What do they place in front of the covering to the back of the cave?
(a) bird nests
(b) tree branches
(c) the horses
(d) large rocks
8. What caused Magua's downfall
(a) drinking firewater
(b) murdering his uncle
(c) not being a good hunter
(d) fighting the other braves
9. Who is the Indian waiting with the European?
10. What does Cora suggest the men do?
(a) Leave them in the cave and go by river to seek help.
(b) Build a big signal fire.
(c) Turn the women over to the Iroquois.
(d) Wait until dark to slip away.
11. What does Magua want Cora to do after becoming his wife?
(a) draw his water, hoe his corn, and cook his venison
(b) bear him many daughters to sell
(c) bake his bread and tuck him in at night
(d) renounce her father
12. What do they use over the entrance to the back of the cave?
(b) nothing, the waterfall covers it
(c) large rocks
(d) the horses
13. At what time does Hawkeye wake everyone to resume their trip to Ft. Henry?
(a) six in the morning
(b) noon the next day
(c) around midnight
(d) at first light
14. After the men leave, what do Cora and Alice do?
(a) make dummies dressed in their clothes to appear asleep
(b) climb a tree
(c) stand under the waterfall
(d) hide in the cave
15. How many people march out of Ft. Henry?
(a) over three hundred
(b) over thirty
(c) over three thousand
(d) over one thousand
Short Answer Questions
1. What saves them from the Frenchman who discovers them?
2. Where do they stop to rest?
3. What threat is spotted by Hawkeye near a waterfall?
4. How does Cooper describe the setting of the novel?
5. What is the joyful event at the fort?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)