|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Heyward do with the wounded David Gamut?
(a) ties a gag over his mouth to conceal his groans
(b) cuts the arrow out of his leg
(c) moves him to the back of the cave
(d) knocks him out to keep him quiet
2. What do they place in front of the covering to the back of the cave?
(a) bird nests
(b) large rocks
(c) the horses
(d) tree branches
3. What do they use over the entrance to the back of the cave?
(a) the horses
(c) large rocks
(d) nothing, the waterfall covers it
4. Who does Heyward wish to marry?
(a) his fiance back in England
(b) Cora Munro
(c) an Indian woman
(d) Alice Munro
5. What do Heywood and his party not realize?
(a) Fort Henry has been defeated.
(b) They do not have enough provisions.
(c) They are being watched.
(d) They have made a wrong turn.
6. How do Hawkeye, Uncas, and Chingachgook leave to find help?
(a) Uncas alone and Hawkeye and Chingachgook together
(b) headed first in the wrong direction to confuse the Iroquois
(c) floating down the river
(d) separately, walking along the banks of the river
7. What does Hawkeye recall at a pond?
(a) a fish he caught
(b) a camp he once set up
(c) a deer he killed
(d) a battle with the French
8. After the men leave, what do Cora and Alice do?
(a) climb a tree
(b) make dummies dressed in their clothes to appear asleep
(c) stand under the waterfall
(d) hide in the cave
9. Who actually goes to the dinner?
(a) Alice Munro
(b) Colonel Munro
(c) Cora Munro
(d) Duncan Heyward
10. What do Cora and Alice believe while in captivity?
(a) that they will become slaves
(b) that they will be scalped
(c) that they will be forced to marry an Indian
(d) that rescue will come
11. What is the condition of the messenger?
(a) His head is bandaged.
(b) His hands are bound.
(c) His arm is broken.
(d) His shirt is bloody.
12. When does the group prepare to move away from the blockhouse?
(a) at high noon
(b) two days later
(c) when the moon is high
(d) just before dawn
13. At what time does Hawkeye wake everyone to resume their trip to Ft. Henry?
(a) at first light
(b) six in the morning
(c) noon the next day
(d) around midnight
14. Who are the Iroquois looking for called La Longue Carabine?
15. Who is the man standing outside across the water?
(a) Duncan Heyward
(c) Colonel Munro
(d) David Gamut
Short Answer Questions
1. As what do the hunters identify Heywood's guide?
2. What does Heywood demand of Renard?
3. Who in the group does not sleep in the cave that night?
4. Who is the man of European stock waiting a few miles westward of Heyward and the Munro girls?
5. What is the suggestion in the letter from Gen. Webb?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)