|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the man of European stock waiting a few miles westward of Heyward and the Munro girls?
(b) Lance Corporal Pettigrew
(c) Col. Munro
(d) Prince Henry
2. Led captive by the Iroquois and Renard, which way do they travel?
(a) toward the sea
(b) away from the forts
(c) around in circles
(d) back toward Ft. Edward
3. Why does Heyward reprimand the Psalmist?
(a) for making too much noise
(b) for talking with the Indian scout
(c) for trying to join their group
(d) for not being dressed properly
4. What happens as the Huron see one of their group fall dead?
(a) they cut Heywood's throat
(b) they hide behind the Munro girls
(c) they run off in all directions
(d) they are momentarily immobile
5. What saves them from the Frenchman who discovers them?
(a) Heyward's French accent
(b) Alice's ragged skirts
(c) Cora's perfect French
(d) Chingashgook's pidgin French
6. How do Hawkeye, Uncas, and Chingachgook leave to find help?
(a) Uncas alone and Hawkeye and Chingachgook together
(b) separately, walking along the banks of the river
(c) headed first in the wrong direction to confuse the Iroquois
(d) floating down the river
7. What is the message for Ft. Henry?
(a) troops from Ft. Edward will arrive by nightfall
(b) the French have surrendered
(c) no troops are coming from Ft. Edward
(d) a batallion is coming from the north
8. On their way, what does Heyward continually try to do?
(a) find a chance to escape
(b) hide the girls in the forest
(c) make markings on their trail
(d) persuade Magua to help them
9. Who comes across the Indian scout and the hunter?
(a) the girls and Maj. Heyward
(b) the Marquis of Montcalm
(c) the Iroquois
(d) the Siminole
10. What happens to the evacuees from Ft. Henry?
(a) they get into quicksand
(b) 2000 Indians attack them
(c) the women and children fall behand
(d) the French open fire
11. What does Hawkeye recall at a pond?
(a) a camp he once set up
(b) a deer he killed
(c) a battle with the French
(d) a fish he caught
12. What does Uncas find?
(a) David's harmonica
(b) a piece of Alice's veil
(c) Cora's scalp
(d) Alice's Bible
13. After the men leave, what do Cora and Alice do?
(a) hide in the cave
(b) climb a tree
(c) make dummies dressed in their clothes to appear asleep
(d) stand under the waterfall
14. What prevents an Indian from killing Col. Munro?
(a) a shot by Duncan Heyward
(b) a shot by Hawkeye
(c) a shot by Uncas
(d) a shot by General Montcalm
15. What is the secret place where Hawkeye, Chingachgook and Uncas take the major and the Munro girls?
(a) a treehouse in the forest
(b) a clearing behind a large rock
(c) a cave behind a waterfall
(d) a hut inside a briar patch
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Heyward when he tries to defend Alice?
2. What encourages the searchers?
3. What interrupts David Gamut's song in the cave?
4. What is the condition of the messenger?
5. How does Magua know the girls' father?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)