|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what time does Hawkeye wake everyone to resume their trip to Ft. Henry?
(a) six in the morning
(b) at first light
(c) around midnight
(d) noon the next day
2. As the group journeys on after the battle with the Hurons, who leads them?
3. Leaving the safety of the thicket, what do they hear?
4. Why is Heyward convinced not to pursue Magua?
(a) They will wait for him to return.
(b) They cannot leave the girls alone.
(c) It has gotten too dark.
(d) There are probably Iroquois in the area.
5. Who does Heyward wish to marry?
(a) his fiance back in England
(b) Alice Munro
(c) Cora Munro
(d) an Indian woman
6. Who discovers them?
(a) a French teacher
(b) a French sentinel
(c) a French speaking Indian
(d) a French chef
7. What do the Iroquois do in the outer cave?
(a) take a break to eat
(b) pile more branches over the ones already there
(c) sit down to wait
(d) set fire to the tree branches
8. How does Cooper describe the setting of the novel?
(a) the bloody area
(b) the land that time forgot
(c) the foothills of the wilderness
(d) the back of beyond
9. Who is at war as the novel begins?
(a) The French and the Indians
(b) The English and the Indians
(c) The British and the Americans
(d) The English and French
10. Who does Uncas say are hiding in the woods?
11. Who comes across the Indian scout and the hunter?
(a) the Iroquois
(b) the Siminole
(c) the girls and Maj. Heyward
(d) the Marquis of Montcalm
12. What happens to Heyward when he tries to defend Alice?
(a) His hands are bound.
(b) He is knocked unconscious.
(c) He is made to take Alice's place.
(d) He is shot.
13. How do Hawkeye, Uncas, and Chingachgook leave to find help?
(a) Uncas alone and Hawkeye and Chingachgook together
(b) headed first in the wrong direction to confuse the Iroquois
(c) separately, walking along the banks of the river
(d) floating down the river
14. Who prevents Cora from being scalped?
15. What distresses Uncas?
(a) He knows the Iroquois have spotted the girls.
(b) Chingachgook is shot in the arm.
(c) His quivver is empty.
(d) He sees a Huron stealing the canoe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Heyward reprimand the Psalmist?
2. What is the condition of the messenger?
3. What encourages the searchers?
4. Led captive by the Iroquois and Renard, which way do they travel?
5. How does Magua know the girls' father?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)