|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Montcalm want to know from his guest?
(a) if Ft. Henry has plenty of supplies
(b) if he has come to discuss terms of surrender
(c) if he knows the Indian Magua
(d) if the ladies will come for a visit
2. What distresses Uncas?
(a) His quivver is empty.
(b) He sees a Huron stealing the canoe.
(c) He knows the Iroquois have spotted the girls.
(d) Chingachgook is shot in the arm.
3. What is the suggestion in the letter from Gen. Webb?
(a) that the Mohicans are coming to their rescue
(b) that Ft. Henry surrender
(c) that troops are on the way
(d) that the French are surrendering
4. What is the purpose of Fort Henry and Fort Edward?
(a) coach stations for British travelers
(b) decoys to fool the advancing French army
(c) defense against the invading French
(d) way stations for British soldiers headed for the front
5. What does Hawkeye recall at a pond?
(a) a deer he killed
(b) a camp he once set up
(c) a battle with the French
(d) a fish he caught
6. What do they place in front of the covering to the back of the cave?
(a) bird nests
(b) the horses
(c) tree branches
(d) large rocks
7. Leaving the safety of the thicket, what do they hear?
8. What is the secret place where Hawkeye, Chingachgook and Uncas take the major and the Munro girls?
(a) a treehouse in the forest
(b) a hut inside a briar patch
(c) a clearing behind a large rock
(d) a cave behind a waterfall
9. How does Cooper describe the setting of the novel?
(a) the foothills of the wilderness
(b) the bloody area
(c) the land that time forgot
(d) the back of beyond
10. On their way, what does Heyward continually try to do?
(a) make markings on their trail
(b) hide the girls in the forest
(c) find a chance to escape
(d) persuade Magua to help them
11. Who comes across the Indian scout and the hunter?
(a) the Iroquois
(b) the girls and Maj. Heyward
(c) the Marquis of Montcalm
(d) the Siminole
12. Why is Heyward convinced not to pursue Magua?
(a) They will wait for him to return.
(b) They cannot leave the girls alone.
(c) It has gotten too dark.
(d) There are probably Iroquois in the area.
13. Who immediately join in the fight with the Hurons?
(a) Uncas and Chingachgook
(b) two Delaware scouts
(c) Heywood and Gamut
(d) Alice and Cora
14. How many people march out of Ft. Henry?
(a) over three thousand
(b) over thirty
(c) over three hundred
(d) over one thousand
15. What does the strange sound turn out to be?
(a) an Indian war cry
(b) a large owl
(c) a goat caught in brambles
(d) a horse in pain or terror
Short Answer Questions
1. As what do the hunters identify Heywood's guide?
2. At what time does Hawkeye wake everyone to resume their trip to Ft. Henry?
3. What do the Iroquois do in the outer cave?
4. What is Magua's background?
5. What happens to the evacuees from Ft. Henry?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)