|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do they use over the entrance to the back of the cave?
(a) nothing, the waterfall covers it
(b) large rocks
(d) the horses
2. Who is the lone man making his way to the outskirts of the French camp?
(a) General Montcalm
(b) Duncan Heywood
3. What is happening when they finally near the fort?
(a) The fort has been abandoned.
(b) All is quiet on the western front.
(c) The fort is being burned to the ground.
(d) Montcalm's army is firing on the forts.
4. What does the strange sound turn out to be?
(a) an Indian war cry
(b) a large owl
(c) a horse in pain or terror
(d) a goat caught in brambles
5. What happens to the evacuees from Ft. Henry?
(a) 2000 Indians attack them
(b) they get into quicksand
(c) the French open fire
(d) the women and children fall behand
6. How is Heyward nearly wounded?
(a) by a glancing arrow
(b) by a tomahawk
(c) by a knife in hand to hand combat
(d) by a bullet near his head
7. Who does Maj. Heyward elect to lead him and the young Munro women to Fort Henry?
(a) an Indian scout
(c) the psalmist
(d) a British sergeant major
8. Who is described as possessing muscular features?
9. What request does Heyward make of Hawkeye, Chingachgook, and Uncas?
(a) to give them something to eat
(b) to hunt down the Iroquois
(c) to guide them to Ft. Henry
(d) to find disguises for the women
10. What do they place in front of the covering to the back of the cave?
(a) the horses
(b) bird nests
(c) large rocks
(d) tree branches
11. Who are the men out looking for the group?
(a) Magua and other Hurons
(b) soldiers from Ft. Henry
(c) Chingachgooks other son
(d) Delaware from Ft. Edward
12. How many people march out of Ft. Henry?
(a) over three thousand
(b) over three hundred
(c) over one thousand
(d) over thirty
13. What do they conclude has frightened the horses?
(c) the Iroquois
(d) a mountain lion
14. Who is at war as the novel begins?
(a) The English and French
(b) The English and the Indians
(c) The British and the Americans
(d) The French and the Indians
15. What explains the difference in the complexions of Cora and Alice?
(a) They are adopted children.
(b) Their mother was a product of a white/black union.
(c) They had two different mothers.
(d) They had different fathers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heyward do with the wounded David Gamut?
2. What interrupts David Gamut's song in the cave?
3. What is Magua's background?
4. After the Indian ambush, who are out looking for Cora and Alice?
5. Who is the man of European stock waiting a few miles westward of Heyward and the Munro girls?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)