|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Heywood demand of Renard?
(a) that he protect the girls
(b) that he leave
(c) that he go for help
(d) that he translate
2. Who does Maj. Heyward elect to lead him and the young Munro women to Fort Henry?
(a) the psalmist
(b) an Indian scout
(d) a British sergeant major
3. As the group journeys on after the battle with the Hurons, who leads them?
4. What threat is spotted by Hawkeye near a waterfall?
(a) five Iroquois
(b) Magua with a rifle
(c) a pack of wolves
(d) mountain lions
5. Where do they stop to rest?
(a) under a giant oak
(b) a pony express station
(c) a decayed blockhouse
(d) a hunter's cabin
6. What do the Iroquois do in the outer cave?
(a) set fire to the tree branches
(b) sit down to wait
(c) pile more branches over the ones already there
(d) take a break to eat
7. What encourages the searchers?
(a) a trail left by Cora and Magua
(b) a place where Alice stopped to rest
(c) a note dropped by Cora
(d) a trail of coins dropped by someone
8. What distresses Uncas?
(a) He knows the Iroquois have spotted the girls.
(b) Chingachgook is shot in the arm.
(c) He sees a Huron stealing the canoe.
(d) His quivver is empty.
9. What do they place in front of the covering to the back of the cave?
(a) large rocks
(b) bird nests
(c) tree branches
(d) the horses
10. What does Montcalm want to know from his guest?
(a) if he has come to discuss terms of surrender
(b) if the ladies will come for a visit
(c) if Ft. Henry has plenty of supplies
(d) if he knows the Indian Magua
11. Who is the man of European stock waiting a few miles westward of Heyward and the Munro girls?
(b) Prince Henry
(c) Col. Munro
(d) Lance Corporal Pettigrew
12. What saves them from the Frenchman who discovers them?
(a) Chingashgook's pidgin French
(b) Alice's ragged skirts
(c) Heyward's French accent
(d) Cora's perfect French
13. What do the men realize as they study the trail?
(a) that it ends in the river
(b) that they cannot follow it far
(c) that they are outnumbered
(d) that this chase may take a long time
14. Leaving the safety of the thicket, what do they hear?
15. What is the purpose of Fort Henry and Fort Edward?
(a) coach stations for British travelers
(b) decoys to fool the advancing French army
(c) defense against the invading French
(d) way stations for British soldiers headed for the front
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is described as possessing muscular features?
2. What is the condition of the messenger?
3. What happens to the evacuees from Ft. Henry?
4. Who discovers them?
5. What does Magua want Cora to do after becoming his wife?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)