|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the Indian ambush, who are out looking for Cora and Alice?
(a) the Mohicans
(b) soldiers from the garrison
(c) Montcalm and his men
(d) Uncas and his father, Hawkeye, Munro, and Heyward
2. What happens as the Huron see one of their group fall dead?
(a) they hide behind the Munro girls
(b) they are momentarily immobile
(c) they run off in all directions
(d) they cut Heywood's throat
3. What does Heywood demand of Renard?
(a) that he protect the girls
(b) that he leave
(c) that he go for help
(d) that he translate
4. What is Magua's objection to the surrender treaty?
(a) no fires are set
(b) no money changed hands
(c) no hostages are taken
(d) no scalps have been taken
5. What does Uncas find?
(a) a piece of Alice's veil
(b) Cora's scalp
(c) Alice's Bible
(d) David's harmonica
6. Who discovers them?
(a) a French speaking Indian
(b) a French sentinel
(c) a French chef
(d) a French teacher
7. What is the purpose of Fort Henry and Fort Edward?
(a) defense against the invading French
(b) coach stations for British travelers
(c) decoys to fool the advancing French army
(d) way stations for British soldiers headed for the front
8. What causes the Huron to leave the area of the blockhouse?
(a) a mass grave
(b) a bad smell
(c) the bitter water
(d) a large bear
9. At what time does Hawkeye wake everyone to resume their trip to Ft. Henry?
(a) noon the next day
(b) around midnight
(c) at first light
(d) six in the morning
10. How does Cooper describe the setting of the novel?
(a) the bloody area
(b) the land that time forgot
(c) the foothills of the wilderness
(d) the back of beyond
11. Why is Heyward convinced not to pursue Magua?
(a) They will wait for him to return.
(b) They cannot leave the girls alone.
(c) It has gotten too dark.
(d) There are probably Iroquois in the area.
12. What happens to the treacherous guide?
(a) Uncas gets him with an arrow.
(b) He escapes without injury.
(c) Hawkeye kills him.
(d) He is wounded but not caught.
13. How do Hawkeye, Uncas, and Chingachgook leave to find help?
(a) floating down the river
(b) separately, walking along the banks of the river
(c) Uncas alone and Hawkeye and Chingachgook together
(d) headed first in the wrong direction to confuse the Iroquois
14. What is happening when they finally near the fort?
(a) All is quiet on the western front.
(b) The fort is being burned to the ground.
(c) The fort has been abandoned.
(d) Montcalm's army is firing on the forts.
15. What is Hawkeye's problem during the battle?
(a) He loses his eyeglasses.
(b) He slips on a wet rock.
(c) He runs out of ammunition.
(d) He sprains his ankle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncas take to ward off wolves?
2. What is Magua's background?
3. On their way, what does Heyward continually try to do?
4. What is the joyful event at the fort?
5. What does Magua want Cora to do after becoming his wife?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)