|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sends Garrigan a letter telling him about a property he has inherited on an island?
2. The person who is torn limb from limb, literally, was a supporter of which group?
3. The chapter opens with a _______________ where everything becomes Amin.
4. Who has told Amin of the plot being devised against him to assassinate him by drugging?
5. Amin tells the passengers not to try to escape as the terrorists have wired the room with ________________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The violence in this story is unsettling to the reader and to the characters who are observers of the violence.
Part 1: Why do you think that dictators so often use violence as a way to control their people?
Part 2: Do you think violence is the only method of completely controlling one's land and one's people? Why or why not?
Part 3: It's said that violence is never the answer. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The tremendous racial disparity in the book causes the reader to feel the discomfort of Garrigan and others who he calls friends.
Part 1: How does the racial disparity affect Garrigan on a daily basis? Or doesn't it?
Part 2: Why do you think that the races harbor such ill will toward each other?
Part 3: Why isn't Garrigan harassed more for being often the only white man around?
Essay Topic 3
Though Amin seems to be completely enamored with Garrigan, he still pulls a gun on him and forces him into a prison cell for a night.
Part 1: Why do you think that Amin decided to punish Garrigan at this point of the story?
Part 2: Do you think that Garrigan's experience of punishment will affect the way he feels about Amin? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think you would have tried to leave as Garrigan did after his experience? Why or why not?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)