|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Garrigan trying to avoid as he walks around the halls of Amin's house during the looting?
2. What doesn't Garrigan know when the publicist asks him the question?
3. If Amin had not been fighting the ____________ free fighters in Kenya, Amin says he would not have practiced cannibalism.
4. Amin insists that Garrigan ____________ him, and then keep tapes of these sessions.
5. What city do the Tanzanians reach and then take as a result?
Essay Topic 1
It's fascinating to see that Garrigan and Merrit still tend to think in terms of their Western medical backgrounds and upbringings rather than considering the context of their new setting.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan and Merrit still think of diseases in terms of their Western training?
Part 2: What was your reaction to the comments of Merrit when talking about his life in Mbarara?
Part 3: Do you think Merrit is actually trying to learn the ways of the Africans or is he trying to push his lifestyle and background on others? Why do you choose the answer you do?
Essay Topic 2
The violence in this story is unsettling to the reader and to the characters who are observers of the violence.
Part 1: Why do you think that dictators so often use violence as a way to control their people?
Part 2: Do you think violence is the only method of completely controlling one's land and one's people? Why or why not?
Part 3: It's said that violence is never the answer. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The quest for power leads people to do desperate things. Whether it's for political power or for societal power, people will go to great lengths to get what they want.
Part 1: How do you think Amin defines power in his life? What does he believe will make him powerful?
Part 2: How do you think Garrigan defines power in his life? What does he believe will make him powerful?
Part 3: Why do you think that people will stop at nothing to be powerful? Would you? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,713 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)