|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The chapter opens with a _______________ where everything becomes Amin.
2. The bothy is supposed to be a ______________ hut, but it has been expanded.
3. While the soldiers do not hit Garrigan during the checkpoint struggle, the soldiers do take __________.
4. Garrigan comes to the town, determined not to lose ____________ as he has lost so many others.
5. With the ___________ coming up, there are many images of Margaret Thatcher on TV.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, people are asking Garrigan to take Amin's life and assassinate him before he causes more harm to the lands and his people.
Part 1: Why is Garrigan the person to ask in terms of getting up close and personal with Amin?
Part 2: Why do you think that Garrigan doesn't agree to taking Amin's life?
Part 3: Why do you think that Garrigan doesn't say no to taking Amin's life?
Essay Topic 2
At times, Garrigan seems quite naive when talking to others. For example, Sara uses a shortwave radio to talk to her family, which seems odd.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan is a bit more native than others around him?
Part 2: What other reason might there be for Sara to have a short wave radio on hand?
Part 3: How might Garrigan's gullibility affect him as the story continues? Is this a good or bad quality for him to have?
Essay Topic 3
When Garrigan learns of the deaths of both of his parents, he makes the decision not to return to England to see them.
Part 1: Do you think Garrigan made the right decision to not go to see his parents and his family? Why or why not?
Part 2: Garrigan is beginning to believe he is growing callous. Do you agree with his assessment? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might you have reacted to the news of your parents' deaths while you were far away?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)