|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of spy ring does Amin say that he has broken up after the rest of the British are expelled?
2. Where does Garrigan go the next morning after his run in with Amin and the accusations against him?
3. What room does Garrigan discover has already been sacked when he wanders the halls?
4. Where does Garrigan decide to do as though it were just another normal day?
5. Garrigan can see the burned spot above his bothy where the Burning of the _________ takes place.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The quest for power leads people to do desperate things. Whether it's for political power or for societal power, people will go to great lengths to get what they want.
Part 1: How do you think Amin defines power in his life? What does he believe will make him powerful?
Part 2: How do you think Garrigan defines power in his life? What does he believe will make him powerful?
Part 3: Why do you think that people will stop at nothing to be powerful? Would you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The media begins to call Amin's statements stranger and stranger as they continue to be broadcast on the radio.
Part 1: Why do you think the media is quick to point out the flaws and the 'craziness' in the statements of Amin?
Part 2: Do you think that Amin is truly crazy? Why or why not?
Part 3: In what ways does the media benefit from calling a dictator crazy?
Essay Topic 3
The tremendous racial disparity in the book causes the reader to feel the discomfort of Garrigan and others who he calls friends.
Part 1: How does the racial disparity affect Garrigan on a daily basis? Or doesn't it?
Part 2: Why do you think that the races harbor such ill will toward each other?
Part 3: Why isn't Garrigan harassed more for being often the only white man around?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)