|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has told Amin of the plot being devised against him to assassinate him by drugging?
2. Garrigan can see the burned spot above his bothy where the Burning of the _________ takes place.
3. Amin tells the passengers not to try to escape as the terrorists have wired the room with ________________.
4. What happens when Gugu begins to beat Garrigan in the center of the town?
5. Garrigan goes out in Malachi's _________ along the bay once again at the start of the chapter.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Garrigan's documentation of Amin's life seems to be a bad idea from the start.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan decided to document Amin's life for himself?
Part 2: Why is it important that Garrigan document Amin's life?
Part 3: Is there anyone else who might be better suited to documenting Amin's life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The question of who is insane and who is not is a theme which continues through the book. After all, while it seems clear that Amin may be mentally disturbed, can he really be classified as insane?
Part 1: Why do you think many readers believe that Amin is truly insane?
Part 2: What other characters might be considered insane as well? Why?
Part 3: Why do you think that many prophets are considered to be insane as well?
Essay Topic 3
At times, Garrigan seems quite naive when talking to others. For example, Sara uses a shortwave radio to talk to her family, which seems odd.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan is a bit more native than others around him?
Part 2: What other reason might there be for Sara to have a short wave radio on hand?
Part 3: How might Garrigan's gullibility affect him as the story continues? Is this a good or bad quality for him to have?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)