|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The bothy where Garrigan will now be living includes a ___________ and power as well.
2. After speaking with Amin, Garrigan thinks that he really must fasten the _____________ around the door again.
3. Where does Garrigan go the next morning after his run in with Amin and the accusations against him?
4. Who announces to the non-Israeli passengers that he has negotiated their release?
5. What happens to Garrigan once he emerges from his hiding place after the van incident?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Garrigan learns of the deaths of both of his parents, he makes the decision not to return to England to see them.
Part 1: Do you think Garrigan made the right decision to not go to see his parents and his family? Why or why not?
Part 2: Garrigan is beginning to believe he is growing callous. Do you agree with his assessment? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might you have reacted to the news of your parents' deaths while you were far away?
Essay Topic 2
As is the case with many books, the narrator may or may not be as reliable as the reader wants them to be.
Part 1: Does Garrigan seem to be a reliable narrator? Why or why not?
Part 2: Who might have been a better narrator for this story? Why?
Part 3: In what ways does the narrator affect the story for a reader? How does their version of events affect a story?
Essay Topic 3
Within this story is the theme of loss. Garrigan loses much in the first half of the book, which may or may not have led to the rest of his trouble in the second half of the book.
Part 1: How do you think the string of losses for Garrigan will affect him as the book goes on?
Part 2: Do you think losses always have to make a person weaker? Why or why not?
Part 3: Can having many losses in your life make you more vulnerable? Why or why not?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)