|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is supposedly being sent to Libya in order to secure arms in the exchange?
2. The soldiers were distressed to find out they might have killed a __________ as this would make their leader unhappy.
3. Garrigan is done writing, but is haunted by the image of ___________ as it seems to be everywhere.
4. What does Amin accuse Garrigan of the following night after Garrigan's possession has been stolen?
5. What is Amin talking to when Garrigan approaches him in the prison cells?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At times, Garrigan seems quite naive when talking to others. For example, Sara uses a shortwave radio to talk to her family, which seems odd.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan is a bit more native than others around him?
Part 2: What other reason might there be for Sara to have a short wave radio on hand?
Part 3: How might Garrigan's gullibility affect him as the story continues? Is this a good or bad quality for him to have?
Essay Topic 2
The tremendous racial disparity in the book causes the reader to feel the discomfort of Garrigan and others who he calls friends.
Part 1: How does the racial disparity affect Garrigan on a daily basis? Or doesn't it?
Part 2: Why do you think that the races harbor such ill will toward each other?
Part 3: Why isn't Garrigan harassed more for being often the only white man around?
Essay Topic 3
The question of who is insane and who is not is a theme which continues through the book. After all, while it seems clear that Amin may be mentally disturbed, can he really be classified as insane?
Part 1: Why do you think many readers believe that Amin is truly insane?
Part 2: What other characters might be considered insane as well? Why?
Part 3: Why do you think that many prophets are considered to be insane as well?
This section contains 344 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)