Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ____________ has been punctured and there is water spilling out everywhere.
2. Who has told Amin of the plot being devised against him to assassinate him by drugging?
3. What is Garrigan trying to avoid as he walks around the halls of Amin's house during the looting?
4. Where is Garrigan sent after his run in with the soldiers and after he is accused of certain travesties?
5. Who announces to the non-Israeli passengers that he has negotiated their release?
Essay Topic 1
The tremendous racial disparity in the book causes the reader to feel the discomfort of Garrigan and others who he calls friends.
Part 1: How does the racial disparity affect Garrigan on a daily basis? Or doesn't it?
Part 2: Why do you think that the races harbor such ill will toward each other?
Part 3: Why isn't Garrigan harassed more for being often the only white man around?
Essay Topic 2
At times, Garrigan seems quite naive when talking to others. For example, Sara uses a shortwave radio to talk to her family, which seems odd.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan is a bit more native than others around him?
Part 2: What other reason might there be for Sara to have a short wave radio on hand?
Part 3: How might Garrigan's gullibility affect him as the story continues? Is this a good or bad quality for him to have?
Essay Topic 3
The violence in this story is unsettling to the reader and to the characters who are observers of the violence.
Part 1: Why do you think that dictators so often use violence as a way to control their people?
Part 2: Do you think violence is the only method of completely controlling one's land and one's people? Why or why not?
Part 3: It's said that violence is never the answer. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)