|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Garrigan see in the room with him and Amin one night, and then contemplates killing Amin?
2. What country does Garrigan help Amin plan to invade during his reign?
3. If Amin had not been fighting the ____________ free fighters in Kenya, Amin says he would not have practiced cannibalism.
4. Nestor also sends Garrigan a letter, telling him that ___________ is in trouble and that Garrigan has to help.
5. Amin insists that Garrigan ____________ him, and then keep tapes of these sessions.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The tremendous racial disparity in the book causes the reader to feel the discomfort of Garrigan and others who he calls friends.
Part 1: How does the racial disparity affect Garrigan on a daily basis? Or doesn't it?
Part 2: Why do you think that the races harbor such ill will toward each other?
Part 3: Why isn't Garrigan harassed more for being often the only white man around?
Essay Topic 2
The quest for power leads people to do desperate things. Whether it's for political power or for societal power, people will go to great lengths to get what they want.
Part 1: How do you think Amin defines power in his life? What does he believe will make him powerful?
Part 2: How do you think Garrigan defines power in his life? What does he believe will make him powerful?
Part 3: Why do you think that people will stop at nothing to be powerful? Would you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The violence in this story is unsettling to the reader and to the characters who are observers of the violence.
Part 1: Why do you think that dictators so often use violence as a way to control their people?
Part 2: Do you think violence is the only method of completely controlling one's land and one's people? Why or why not?
Part 3: It's said that violence is never the answer. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)