|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ____________ has been punctured and there is water spilling out everywhere.
2. What happens to Garrigan once he emerges from his hiding place after the van incident?
3. What is Amin talking to when Garrigan approaches him in the prison cells?
4. What kind of stuffed animal head did Garrigan deliver to Swanepoel, as instructed by Amin?
5. What whistles by Garrigan as he tries to get to the APC after a gunfight breaks out during his trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The setting of the story, at least how Garrigan describes it, gives the reader insight into the history of Uganda as well as of the modern times.
Part 1: What is the setting saying about the colonialism in Uganda? What environmental cues are used?
Part 2: Do you think Garrigan is being fair in his descriptions of the setting? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might the descriptions used in a story affect the reader's perception of the story itself?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, people are asking Garrigan to take Amin's life and assassinate him before he causes more harm to the lands and his people.
Part 1: Why is Garrigan the person to ask in terms of getting up close and personal with Amin?
Part 2: Why do you think that Garrigan doesn't agree to taking Amin's life?
Part 3: Why do you think that Garrigan doesn't say no to taking Amin's life?
Essay Topic 3
At times, Garrigan seems quite naive when talking to others. For example, Sara uses a shortwave radio to talk to her family, which seems odd.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan is a bit more native than others around him?
Part 2: What other reason might there be for Sara to have a short wave radio on hand?
Part 3: How might Garrigan's gullibility affect him as the story continues? Is this a good or bad quality for him to have?
This section contains 1,722 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)