|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Garrigan decide to do as though it were just another normal day?
2. Garrigan comes to the town, determined not to lose ____________ as he has lost so many others.
3. What does Garrigan see in the room with him and Amin one night, and then contemplates killing Amin?
4. What kind of hostages are being held in the hijacked airplane at the airport?
5. When Garrigan walks into the secret prisons, he realizes he is hearing a voice - whose voice is it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The setting of the story, at least how Garrigan describes it, gives the reader insight into the history of Uganda as well as of the modern times.
Part 1: What is the setting saying about the colonialism in Uganda? What environmental cues are used?
Part 2: Do you think Garrigan is being fair in his descriptions of the setting? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might the descriptions used in a story affect the reader's perception of the story itself?
Essay Topic 2
When Garrigan learns of the deaths of both of his parents, he makes the decision not to return to England to see them.
Part 1: Do you think Garrigan made the right decision to not go to see his parents and his family? Why or why not?
Part 2: Garrigan is beginning to believe he is growing callous. Do you agree with his assessment? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might you have reacted to the news of your parents' deaths while you were far away?
Essay Topic 3
The outburst that Amin has eaten human flesh understandably makes the entire dinner room quiet with fear.
Part 1: Why do you think Amin decided to shout out that he had eaten human flesh?
Part 2: Do you believe that Amin has actually eaten human flesh? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might you have responded to someone having said what Amin said? Why?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)