|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Garrigan's sister send ahead so that it is at the new house when he arrives?
2. Where does Garrigan decide he wants to go since he is already feeling stronger?
3. What does Garrigan borrow in order to help Amin escape from the secret prisons?
4. How many journalists show up to question Garrigan after his adventures with Amin?
5. What happens when Gugu begins to beat Garrigan in the center of the town?
Essay Topic 1
It's fascinating to see that Garrigan and Merrit still tend to think in terms of their Western medical backgrounds and upbringings rather than considering the context of their new setting.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan and Merrit still think of diseases in terms of their Western training?
Part 2: What was your reaction to the comments of Merrit when talking about his life in Mbarara?
Part 3: Do you think Merrit is actually trying to learn the ways of the Africans or is he trying to push his lifestyle and background on others? Why do you choose the answer you do?
Essay Topic 2
Garrigan ends up giving Swanepoel a box that contains a bomb, causing his plane to crash and for Swanepoel and the pilot to be killed.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan doesn't realize he is doing something wrong?
Part 2: Why do you think that Amin asks Garrigan to deliver this dangerous package to the place?
Part 3: Would you have accepted a gift from Amin if you were in Swanepoel's position? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
While this story seems to be focused on Amin, it's really a story about Garrigan and his internal struggles when dealing with Amin.
Part 1: Why do you think Garrigan is so fascinated with Amin?
Part 2: Why do you think Amin takes to Garrigan in this story?
Part 3: Does the relationship between Amin and Garrigan seem to be a realistic one? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,720 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)