|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Garrigan walks into the secret prisons, he realizes he is hearing a voice - whose voice is it?
2. With the ___________ coming up, there are many images of Margaret Thatcher on TV.
3. Garrigan is surprised to discover a small ________ on the island where he could have bought supplies.
4. If Amin had not been fighting the ____________ free fighters in Kenya, Amin says he would not have practiced cannibalism.
5. Amin laughs when Garrigan pleads for his life, saying that he will not kill someone like ____________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Women are portrayed as being weaker in this novel - the report, Amin's wives, etc.
Part 1: Why do you think that women are seen as being weaker and harmless in this story?
Part 2: What does the character of Sara tell the reader about women during this time period?
Part 3: Do you think that Garrigan is sexist? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, people are asking Garrigan to take Amin's life and assassinate him before he causes more harm to the lands and his people.
Part 1: Why is Garrigan the person to ask in terms of getting up close and personal with Amin?
Part 2: Why do you think that Garrigan doesn't agree to taking Amin's life?
Part 3: Why do you think that Garrigan doesn't say no to taking Amin's life?
Essay Topic 3
The quest for power leads people to do desperate things. Whether it's for political power or for societal power, people will go to great lengths to get what they want.
Part 1: How do you think Amin defines power in his life? What does he believe will make him powerful?
Part 2: How do you think Garrigan defines power in his life? What does he believe will make him powerful?
Part 3: Why do you think that people will stop at nothing to be powerful? Would you? Why or why not?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)