|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While the soldiers do not hit Garrigan during the checkpoint struggle, the soldiers do take __________.
2. What does Amin accuse Garrigan of the following night after Garrigan's possession has been stolen?
3. What happens to Garrigan once he emerges from his hiding place after the van incident?
4. What has the hospital run out of at Kampala, making it difficult to sterilize anything?
5. Amin laughs when Garrigan pleads for his life, saying that he will not kill someone like ____________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As is the case with many books, the narrator may or may not be as reliable as the reader wants them to be.
Part 1: Does Garrigan seem to be a reliable narrator? Why or why not?
Part 2: Who might have been a better narrator for this story? Why?
Part 3: In what ways does the narrator affect the story for a reader? How does their version of events affect a story?
Essay Topic 2
It's fascinating to see that Garrigan and Merrit still tend to think in terms of their Western medical backgrounds and upbringings rather than considering the context of their new setting.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan and Merrit still think of diseases in terms of their Western training?
Part 2: What was your reaction to the comments of Merrit when talking about his life in Mbarara?
Part 3: Do you think Merrit is actually trying to learn the ways of the Africans or is he trying to push his lifestyle and background on others? Why do you choose the answer you do?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, people are asking Garrigan to take Amin's life and assassinate him before he causes more harm to the lands and his people.
Part 1: Why is Garrigan the person to ask in terms of getting up close and personal with Amin?
Part 2: Why do you think that Garrigan doesn't agree to taking Amin's life?
Part 3: Why do you think that Garrigan doesn't say no to taking Amin's life?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)