|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amin accuse Garrigan of the following night after Garrigan's possession has been stolen?
2. Amin insists that Garrigan ____________ him, and then keep tapes of these sessions.
3. Amin tells the passengers not to try to escape as the terrorists have wired the room with ________________.
4. What is supposedly being sent to Libya in order to secure arms in the exchange?
5. Who announces to the non-Israeli passengers that he has negotiated their release?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Within this story is the theme of loss. Garrigan loses much in the first half of the book, which may or may not have led to the rest of his trouble in the second half of the book.
Part 1: How do you think the string of losses for Garrigan will affect him as the book goes on?
Part 2: Do you think losses always have to make a person weaker? Why or why not?
Part 3: Can having many losses in your life make you more vulnerable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The tremendous racial disparity in the book causes the reader to feel the discomfort of Garrigan and others who he calls friends.
Part 1: How does the racial disparity affect Garrigan on a daily basis? Or doesn't it?
Part 2: Why do you think that the races harbor such ill will toward each other?
Part 3: Why isn't Garrigan harassed more for being often the only white man around?
Essay Topic 3
Garrigan's documentation of Amin's life seems to be a bad idea from the start.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan decided to document Amin's life for himself?
Part 2: Why is it important that Garrigan document Amin's life?
Part 3: Is there anyone else who might be better suited to documenting Amin's life? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,712 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)