|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the crazy man that Garrigan sees hanging from the tree when he reaches the equator?
2. What is Amin talking to when Garrigan approaches him in the prison cells?
3. Amin notes that he regrets the death of the ______________ and that his followers did it without his knowledge.
4. Amin insists that Garrigan ____________ him, and then keep tapes of these sessions.
5. What city do the Tanzanians reach and then take as a result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Amin knows just how powerful and how feared he is - and thus, how little he can trust others, aside from Garrigan. Part 1: Do you think it's important for a leader to be able to trust others? Why or why not? Part 2: Why do you think that Amin trusts Garrigan more than anyone else? Part 3: Do you think that Garrigan should trust Amin and anything he says? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2The violence in this story is unsettling to the reader and to the characters who are observers of the violence. Part 1: Why do you think that dictators so often use violence as a way to control their people? Part 2: Do you think violence is the only method of completely controlling one's land and one's people? Why or why not? Part 3: It's said that violence is never the answer. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3The question of who is insane and who is not is a theme which continues through the book. After all, while it seems clear that Amin may be mentally disturbed, can he really be classified as insane? Part 1: Why do you think many readers believe that Amin is truly insane? Part 2: What other characters might be considered insane as well? Why? Part 3: Why do you think that many prophets are considered to be insane as well?
This section contains 337 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)