|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Gugu begins to beat Garrigan in the center of the town?
2. Where does Garrigan decide he wants to go since he is already feeling stronger?
3. The ____________ tells Garrigan that it will not be as bad as he thinks it will be.
4. Who announces to the non-Israeli passengers that he has negotiated their release?
5. The soldiers were distressed to find out they might have killed a __________ as this would make their leader unhappy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The question of who is insane and who is not is a theme which continues through the book. After all, while it seems clear that Amin may be mentally disturbed, can he really be classified as insane?
Part 1: Why do you think many readers believe that Amin is truly insane?
Part 2: What other characters might be considered insane as well? Why?
Part 3: Why do you think that many prophets are considered to be insane as well?
Essay Topic 2
Garrigan ends up giving Swanepoel a box that contains a bomb, causing his plane to crash and for Swanepoel and the pilot to be killed.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan doesn't realize he is doing something wrong?
Part 2: Why do you think that Amin asks Garrigan to deliver this dangerous package to the place?
Part 3: Would you have accepted a gift from Amin if you were in Swanepoel's position? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The media begins to call Amin's statements stranger and stranger as they continue to be broadcast on the radio.
Part 1: Why do you think the media is quick to point out the flaws and the 'craziness' in the statements of Amin?
Part 2: Do you think that Amin is truly crazy? Why or why not?
Part 3: In what ways does the media benefit from calling a dictator crazy?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)