|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is stolen from Garrigan's bungalow after the rest of the British are expelled?
2. Garrigan begins to wonder if he was just a ______________ for Sara when she was at the clinic.
3. The ___________ the group captures sometimes don't even know what country they are fighting in.
4. What does Garrigan want to take in order to go north away from where he has been?
5. Who reports a mysterious new illness that is spreading throughout African and wants a report published on it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The quest for power leads people to do desperate things. Whether it's for political power or for societal power, people will go to great lengths to get what they want.
Part 1: How do you think Amin defines power in his life? What does he believe will make him powerful?
Part 2: How do you think Garrigan defines power in his life? What does he believe will make him powerful?
Part 3: Why do you think that people will stop at nothing to be powerful? Would you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Women are portrayed as being weaker in this novel - the report, Amin's wives, etc.
Part 1: Why do you think that women are seen as being weaker and harmless in this story?
Part 2: What does the character of Sara tell the reader about women during this time period?
Part 3: Do you think that Garrigan is sexist? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
It's fascinating to see that Garrigan and Merrit still tend to think in terms of their Western medical backgrounds and upbringings rather than considering the context of their new setting.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan and Merrit still think of diseases in terms of their Western training?
Part 2: What was your reaction to the comments of Merrit when talking about his life in Mbarara?
Part 3: Do you think Merrit is actually trying to learn the ways of the Africans or is he trying to push his lifestyle and background on others? Why do you choose the answer you do?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)