|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Perkins tells Garrigan that Amin will soon be cracking down on the ________ and he is right.
2. Marina Perkins tells Garrigan that _________ has been retired and has been sent home to Scotland.
3. What does Idi Amin offer to Garrigan in return for his help with his sprained body part?
4. What do Stone and Perkins want Garrigan to do to Amin in order to make him more manageable?
5. What does Stone show Garrigan in order to encourage him to try to kill Amin before he gets out of control?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is causing the stomach pain that Amin has when he is at the hospital?
2. When Garrigan meets Swanepoel and hears about the coup, why is Garrigan told not to worry about it?
3. What two things does Garrigan receive during the month of June?
4. What does Garrigan find himself charged with once he arrives on the shores of Kenya?
5. What does the Tanzanian Colonel have to say about the boy soldiers who are fighting?
6. What does Amin insist that Garrigan publish a report on when Garrigan is still in his services?
7. What was the work of Mr. Malumba, as Garrigan learns when visiting the family?
8. What is Garrigan tempted to do instead of going through with the interview?
9. What happens to the driver of the car in which Amin was riding where his life was almost taken?
10. What is odd about the fact that Garrigan is doing surgery at the hospital in Kampala?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Garrigan learns of the deaths of both of his parents, he makes the decision not to return to England to see them.
Part 1: Do you think Garrigan made the right decision to not go to see his parents and his family? Why or why not?
Part 2: Garrigan is beginning to believe he is growing callous. Do you agree with his assessment? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might you have reacted to the news of your parents' deaths while you were far away?
Essay Topic 2
At times, Garrigan seems quite naive when talking to others. For example, Sara uses a shortwave radio to talk to her family, which seems odd.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan is a bit more native than others around him?
Part 2: What other reason might there be for Sara to have a short wave radio on hand?
Part 3: How might Garrigan's gullibility affect him as the story continues? Is this a good or bad quality for him to have?
Essay Topic 3
The question of who is insane and who is not is a theme which continues through the book. After all, while it seems clear that Amin may be mentally disturbed, can he really be classified as insane?
Part 1: Why do you think many readers believe that Amin is truly insane?
Part 2: What other characters might be considered insane as well? Why?
Part 3: Why do you think that many prophets are considered to be insane as well?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)