|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the president that is being overthrown by Major General Idi Amin Dada?
2. What is hurting when Garrigan goes to the hospital to examine Idi Amin?
3. What is NOT one of the things that Amin uses to fund the network he builds in order to stage a coup?
4. What do Garrigan and the other workers have to examine on their own after a day at the clinic?
5. Amin threatens a reporter by saying that no one can outrun a ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Garrigan is told to come with the soldier and get off the bus?
2. What has happened to the water situation in Kampala and to the hospital in particular?
3. What are some of the complaints the Merrits share about their servants at the house?
4. What happens as Garrigan emerges from his hiding place after running from the soldiers?
5. What does Garrigan realize about the scene he witnesses in the center of the town?
6. What does Garrigan learn about the plans for Amin now?
7. What are some of the images that Garrigan sees in his recurring dream about Amin?
8. What does Garrigan answer during an interview when he is asked what his address is?
9. What is surprising to Marina about the boat trip that she and Garrigan take?
10. What does Idi Amin say to the Queen when she asks him why he came to visit the country?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the book, people are asking Garrigan to take Amin's life and assassinate him before he causes more harm to the lands and his people.
Part 1: Why is Garrigan the person to ask in terms of getting up close and personal with Amin?
Part 2: Why do you think that Garrigan doesn't agree to taking Amin's life?
Part 3: Why do you think that Garrigan doesn't say no to taking Amin's life?
Essay Topic 2
Within this story is the theme of loss. Garrigan loses much in the first half of the book, which may or may not have led to the rest of his trouble in the second half of the book.
Part 1: How do you think the string of losses for Garrigan will affect him as the book goes on?
Part 2: Do you think losses always have to make a person weaker? Why or why not?
Part 3: Can having many losses in your life make you more vulnerable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Garrigan treats Amin's children as well, even going so far as to indicate that Amin's daughter is faking an injury to get more attention.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan decides to be honest about the daughter's lack of injury?
Part 2: Do you think you could have been able to treat Amin's children if you were in Garrigan's shoes? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think that Garrigan is willing to help everyone in Amin's family?
This section contains 2,085 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)