|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the profession of Swanepoel as learned by Garrigan in his trips out at night?
2. Who advises Garrigan to get out of the city in order to avoid the coup that is taking place?
3. What meal does Garrigan share with his hospitable note writer from the bus trip into town?
4. When Garrigan is walking through the town, he notices Marina Perkins in a bar with ______________.
5. What kind of wine is being made at the wine factory Garrigan and Waziri visit during a trip together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the duties that Garrigan is asked to do, outside of his hospital and medical duties?
2. What does Sara want from Garrigan when she calls him the night of the hostage situation?
3. What does Amin blame for his cannibalistic tendencies as he talks to Garrigan?
4. What does Garrigan learn about the plans for Amin now?
5. When Garrigan stops to ask some men for directions, what do they tell him about his safety?
6. Why is Garrigan wearing a pair of clean scrubs as he goes down into the city later in the day?
7. What does Idi Amin offer to Garrigan in exchange for his help after the Maserati accident?
8. When Amin Idi gets married, which ceremony is Garrigan invited to attend?
9. What is the supposed ailment of Amin's daughter who attends a boarding school?
10. What is odd about the fact that Garrigan is doing surgery at the hospital in Kampala?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It's fascinating to see that Garrigan and Merrit still tend to think in terms of their Western medical backgrounds and upbringings rather than considering the context of their new setting.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan and Merrit still think of diseases in terms of their Western training?
Part 2: What was your reaction to the comments of Merrit when talking about his life in Mbarara?
Part 3: Do you think Merrit is actually trying to learn the ways of the Africans or is he trying to push his lifestyle and background on others? Why do you choose the answer you do?
Essay Topic 2
Garrigan's documentation of Amin's life seems to be a bad idea from the start.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan decided to document Amin's life for himself?
Part 2: Why is it important that Garrigan document Amin's life?
Part 3: Is there anyone else who might be better suited to documenting Amin's life? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The outburst that Amin has eaten human flesh understandably makes the entire dinner room quiet with fear.
Part 1: Why do you think Amin decided to shout out that he had eaten human flesh?
Part 2: Do you believe that Amin has actually eaten human flesh? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might you have responded to someone having said what Amin said? Why?
This section contains 2,075 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)