|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is NOT one of the things that Waziri teaches to the people when he travels around the area?
2. What is the profession of Swanepoel as learned by Garrigan in his trips out at night?
3. Amin admits he knew of Garrigan's interest in ________________.
4. Amin also says that Swanepoel is a spy for a ______________ aviation company.
5. Who advises Garrigan to get out of the city in order to avoid the coup that is taking place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Garrigan tell Sara about the handling of predators after he stares down a leopard?
2. What does Amin blame for his cannibalistic tendencies as he talks to Garrigan?
3. What is odd about the fact that Garrigan is doing surgery at the hospital in Kampala?
4. What is the reason Waziri doesn't think Garrigan should have gone to see Amin Idi speak?
5. Why are Gugu's relatives angry with Garrigan and Sara for letting him stay with them for a month?
6. When Garrigan meets Swanepoel and hears about the coup, why is Garrigan told not to worry about it?
7. What happens when Garrigan is told to come with the soldier and get off the bus?
8. What does Malachi tell Garrigan the Clavie is, surprised that Garrigan doesn't already know?
9. Which couple does Garrigan observe in the bar when he is walking through Kampala?
10. What does Stone say about the position of power that Perkins holds over Garrigan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Within this story is the theme of loss. Garrigan loses much in the first half of the book, which may or may not have led to the rest of his trouble in the second half of the book.
Part 1: How do you think the string of losses for Garrigan will affect him as the book goes on?
Part 2: Do you think losses always have to make a person weaker? Why or why not?
Part 3: Can having many losses in your life make you more vulnerable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
It's fascinating to see that Garrigan and Merrit still tend to think in terms of their Western medical backgrounds and upbringings rather than considering the context of their new setting.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan and Merrit still think of diseases in terms of their Western training?
Part 2: What was your reaction to the comments of Merrit when talking about his life in Mbarara?
Part 3: Do you think Merrit is actually trying to learn the ways of the Africans or is he trying to push his lifestyle and background on others? Why do you choose the answer you do?
Essay Topic 3
The media begins to call Amin's statements stranger and stranger as they continue to be broadcast on the radio.
Part 1: Why do you think the media is quick to point out the flaws and the 'craziness' in the statements of Amin?
Part 2: Do you think that Amin is truly crazy? Why or why not?
Part 3: In what ways does the media benefit from calling a dictator crazy?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)