|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Amin writes to the Secretary General of the UM, telling him that __________ was right in massacring the Israelis.
2. Who is the young messenger who delivers the note to Garrigan inviting him to visit?
3. What does Amin think is wrong with Garrigan when he returns in a daze?
4. What is the profession of Swanepoel as learned by Garrigan in his trips out at night?
5. What kind of car is Major Mabuse driving the day after the two foreigners are killed mysteriously?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Garrigan realize about the scene he witnesses in the center of the town?
2. What does Amin announce after the rest of the British (except for Garrigan) are expelled?
3. When Garrigan stops to ask some men for directions, what do they tell him about his safety?
4. What does Garrigan find himself charged with once he arrives on the shores of Kenya?
5. Why is Garrigan wearing a pair of clean scrubs as he goes down into the city later in the day?
6. Where is Amin, according to news reports that Garrigan hears from his new home?
7. Why are Gugu's relatives angry with Garrigan and Sara for letting him stay with them for a month?
8. What does Stone say about the position of power that Perkins holds over Garrigan?
9. What does Malachi tell Garrigan the Clavie is, surprised that Garrigan doesn't already know?
10. What was the work of Mr. Malumba, as Garrigan learns when visiting the family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The quest for power leads people to do desperate things. Whether it's for political power or for societal power, people will go to great lengths to get what they want.
Part 1: How do you think Amin defines power in his life? What does he believe will make him powerful?
Part 2: How do you think Garrigan defines power in his life? What does he believe will make him powerful?
Part 3: Why do you think that people will stop at nothing to be powerful? Would you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
At times, Garrigan seems quite naive when talking to others. For example, Sara uses a shortwave radio to talk to her family, which seems odd.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan is a bit more native than others around him?
Part 2: What other reason might there be for Sara to have a short wave radio on hand?
Part 3: How might Garrigan's gullibility affect him as the story continues? Is this a good or bad quality for him to have?
Essay Topic 3
The question of who is insane and who is not is a theme which continues through the book. After all, while it seems clear that Amin may be mentally disturbed, can he really be classified as insane?
Part 1: Why do you think many readers believe that Amin is truly insane?
Part 2: What other characters might be considered insane as well? Why?
Part 3: Why do you think that many prophets are considered to be insane as well?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)