|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Marina Perkins tells Garrigan that _________ has been retired and has been sent home to Scotland.
2. Barclay is the _____________ who takes Garrigan to the Ministry of Health for his new position.
3. Where does Garrigan decide to write his memoir after his adventures with Idi Amin?
4. Whose death is considered to be the most traumatic thing to have happened to Garrigan?
5. What kind of car is Major Mabuse driving the day after the two foreigners are killed mysteriously?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the disheartening sight Garrigan can see from the window of his new office in Kampala?
2. What does Sara want from Garrigan when she calls him the night of the hostage situation?
3. What does Garrigan hear happened to the plane that Swanepoel was in?
4. Describe the bothy that is waiting for Garrigan when he finally arrives on the island.
5. What is odd about the fact that Garrigan is doing surgery at the hospital in Kampala?
6. What happens to the driver of the car in which Amin was riding where his life was almost taken?
7. Where is Amin, according to news reports that Garrigan hears from his new home?
8. What does Garrigan answer during an interview when he is asked what his address is?
9. Which couple does Garrigan observe in the bar when he is walking through Kampala?
10. Why are Gugu's relatives angry with Garrigan and Sara for letting him stay with them for a month?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While this story seems to be focused on Amin, it's really a story about Garrigan and his internal struggles when dealing with Amin.
Part 1: Why do you think Garrigan is so fascinated with Amin?
Part 2: Why do you think Amin takes to Garrigan in this story?
Part 3: Does the relationship between Amin and Garrigan seem to be a realistic one? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
It's fascinating to see that Garrigan and Merrit still tend to think in terms of their Western medical backgrounds and upbringings rather than considering the context of their new setting.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan and Merrit still think of diseases in terms of their Western training?
Part 2: What was your reaction to the comments of Merrit when talking about his life in Mbarara?
Part 3: Do you think Merrit is actually trying to learn the ways of the Africans or is he trying to push his lifestyle and background on others? Why do you choose the answer you do?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, people are asking Garrigan to take Amin's life and assassinate him before he causes more harm to the lands and his people.
Part 1: Why is Garrigan the person to ask in terms of getting up close and personal with Amin?
Part 2: Why do you think that Garrigan doesn't agree to taking Amin's life?
Part 3: Why do you think that Garrigan doesn't say no to taking Amin's life?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)