|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another name for the minibus that Garrigan takes the next day to get to Mbarara?
2. Amin claims to be the rightful king of _________ when Garrigan hears him on the radio one night.
3. What are all of the waiters crowding around when Garrigan is up having breakfast the next day?
4. What does Stone show Garrigan in order to encourage him to try to kill Amin before he gets out of control?
5. In which city is Garrigan now stationed after his run in with Idi Amin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the images that Garrigan sees in his recurring dream about Amin?
2. What is the reason Waziri doesn't think Garrigan should have gone to see Amin Idi speak?
3. What does Garrigan see when he approaches the center of town?
4. What happens when Garrigan is told to come with the soldier and get off the bus?
5. What is surprising to Marina about the boat trip that she and Garrigan take?
6. What is the cause of the bleeding nose of Amin's son when he is brought to Garrigan to be cured?
7. How do the Israelis take the guards by surprise in their attempts to free the hostages and kill the terrorists?
8. What does Amin share with Garrigan about the identity and the activities of Swanepoel?
9. What is the disheartening sight Garrigan can see from the window of his new office in Kampala?
10. What is Garrigan given at the breakfast he shares with the Merrits?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It's fascinating to see that Garrigan and Merrit still tend to think in terms of their Western medical backgrounds and upbringings rather than considering the context of their new setting.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan and Merrit still think of diseases in terms of their Western training?
Part 2: What was your reaction to the comments of Merrit when talking about his life in Mbarara?
Part 3: Do you think Merrit is actually trying to learn the ways of the Africans or is he trying to push his lifestyle and background on others? Why do you choose the answer you do?
Essay Topic 2
While this story seems to be focused on Amin, it's really a story about Garrigan and his internal struggles when dealing with Amin.
Part 1: Why do you think Garrigan is so fascinated with Amin?
Part 2: Why do you think Amin takes to Garrigan in this story?
Part 3: Does the relationship between Amin and Garrigan seem to be a realistic one? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, people are asking Garrigan to take Amin's life and assassinate him before he causes more harm to the lands and his people.
Part 1: Why is Garrigan the person to ask in terms of getting up close and personal with Amin?
Part 2: Why do you think that Garrigan doesn't agree to taking Amin's life?
Part 3: Why do you think that Garrigan doesn't say no to taking Amin's life?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)