|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who advises Garrigan to get out of the city in order to avoid the coup that is taking place?
2. Stone says that he has orders to tell Garrigan to ____________, not just incapacitate him.
3. What do Garrigan and the other workers have to examine on their own after a day at the clinic?
4. What do Idi Amin and the rest of his entourage take with them after the accident on the road?
5. What is the health problem Garrigan thinks he has, though Sara discovers otherwise and fixes him right up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is causing the stomach pain that Amin has when he is at the hospital?
2. What does Sara want from Garrigan when she calls him the night of the hostage situation?
3. What does Garrigan claim he will not do as he tries to tell the story of Amin in this novel?
4. What is the cause of the bleeding nose of Amin's son when he is brought to Garrigan to be cured?
5. While Garrigan is not able to gain access to the hostages at the airport situation, what is he able to do to help?
6. How do the Israelis take the guards by surprise in their attempts to free the hostages and kill the terrorists?
7. How does Garrigan help Amin plan for the invasion of Tansania during his time with the dictator?
8. What is the reason Waziri doesn't think Garrigan should have gone to see Amin Idi speak?
9. Where is Amin, according to news reports that Garrigan hears from his new home?
10. What happens when Garrigan is told to come with the soldier and get off the bus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As is the case with many books, the narrator may or may not be as reliable as the reader wants them to be.
Part 1: Does Garrigan seem to be a reliable narrator? Why or why not?
Part 2: Who might have been a better narrator for this story? Why?
Part 3: In what ways does the narrator affect the story for a reader? How does their version of events affect a story?
Essay Topic 2
At times, Garrigan seems quite naive when talking to others. For example, Sara uses a shortwave radio to talk to her family, which seems odd.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan is a bit more native than others around him?
Part 2: What other reason might there be for Sara to have a short wave radio on hand?
Part 3: How might Garrigan's gullibility affect him as the story continues? Is this a good or bad quality for him to have?
Essay Topic 3
When Garrigan learns of the deaths of both of his parents, he makes the decision not to return to England to see them.
Part 1: Do you think Garrigan made the right decision to not go to see his parents and his family? Why or why not?
Part 2: Garrigan is beginning to believe he is growing callous. Do you agree with his assessment? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might you have reacted to the news of your parents' deaths while you were far away?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)