Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the ambassador that meets up with Garrigan at the embassy at the start of Chapter 20?
2. Whose death is considered to be the most traumatic thing to have happened to Garrigan?
3. Most of the ailments that Garrigan treats at the hospital involve some sort of _____________.
4. Amin will not agree to accept Christ's authority in his life, but he will accept the authority of __________.
5. Who is the president that is being overthrown by Major General Idi Amin Dada?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Idi Amin offer to Garrigan in exchange for his help after the Maserati accident?
2. What does Garrigan hear happened to the plane that Swanepoel was in?
3. What is the reason Waziri doesn't think Garrigan should have gone to see Amin Idi speak?
4. What is the cause of the bleeding nose of Amin's son when he is brought to Garrigan to be cured?
5. What was the work of Mr. Malumba, as Garrigan learns when visiting the family?
6. What does Garrigan claim he will not do as he tries to tell the story of Amin in this novel?
7. Why are Gugu's relatives angry with Garrigan and Sara for letting him stay with them for a month?
8. What has happened to the water situation in Kampala and to the hospital in particular?
9. How do the Israelis take the guards by surprise in their attempts to free the hostages and kill the terrorists?
10. What does Sara want from Garrigan when she calls him the night of the hostage situation?
Essay Topic 1
It's fascinating to see that Garrigan and Merrit still tend to think in terms of their Western medical backgrounds and upbringings rather than considering the context of their new setting.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan and Merrit still think of diseases in terms of their Western training?
Part 2: What was your reaction to the comments of Merrit when talking about his life in Mbarara?
Part 3: Do you think Merrit is actually trying to learn the ways of the Africans or is he trying to push his lifestyle and background on others? Why do you choose the answer you do?
Essay Topic 2
The media begins to call Amin's statements stranger and stranger as they continue to be broadcast on the radio.
Part 1: Why do you think the media is quick to point out the flaws and the 'craziness' in the statements of Amin?
Part 2: Do you think that Amin is truly crazy? Why or why not?
Part 3: In what ways does the media benefit from calling a dictator crazy?
Essay Topic 3
Amin knows just how powerful and how feared he is - and thus, how little he can trust others, aside from Garrigan.
Part 1: Do you think it's important for a leader to be able to trust others? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think that Amin trusts Garrigan more than anyone else?
Part 3: Do you think that Garrigan should trust Amin and anything he says? Why or why not?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)