|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the president that is being overthrown by Major General Idi Amin Dada?
2. Idi Amin makes a speech in which he states that all _____________ should go back to their home country.
3. What does Garrigan use in order to learn more about the country and the people of Uganda?
4. When Garrigan is walking through the town, he notices Marina Perkins in a bar with ______________.
5. What appears at the center of the pool along with Idi Amin on it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the duties that Garrigan is asked to do, outside of his hospital and medical duties?
2. What do the Tanzanian forces decide to use for their new headquarters as they advance into Kampala?
3. What is the cause of the bleeding nose of Amin's son when he is brought to Garrigan to be cured?
4. What is Garrigan given at the breakfast he shares with the Merrits?
5. What was the work of Mr. Malumba, as Garrigan learns when visiting the family?
6. What does Garrigan do in order to aid the escape of Amin during the looting?
7. How will Amin know that the baby that his second wife is carrying is not his, according to her lover?
8. How does Garrigan help Amin plan for the invasion of Tansania during his time with the dictator?
9. What do Stone and Perkins want Garrigan to do in order to control Amin Idi more?
10. Where is Amin, according to news reports that Garrigan hears from his new home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The tremendous racial disparity in the book causes the reader to feel the discomfort of Garrigan and others who he calls friends.
Part 1: How does the racial disparity affect Garrigan on a daily basis? Or doesn't it?
Part 2: Why do you think that the races harbor such ill will toward each other?
Part 3: Why isn't Garrigan harassed more for being often the only white man around?
Essay Topic 2
Amin knows just how powerful and how feared he is - and thus, how little he can trust others, aside from Garrigan.
Part 1: Do you think it's important for a leader to be able to trust others? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think that Amin trusts Garrigan more than anyone else?
Part 3: Do you think that Garrigan should trust Amin and anything he says? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The outburst that Amin has eaten human flesh understandably makes the entire dinner room quiet with fear.
Part 1: Why do you think Amin decided to shout out that he had eaten human flesh?
Part 2: Do you believe that Amin has actually eaten human flesh? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might you have responded to someone having said what Amin said? Why?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)