Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the ambassador that meets up with Garrigan at the embassy at the start of Chapter 20?
2. Whose death is considered to be the most traumatic thing to have happened to Garrigan?
3. Most of the ailments that Garrigan treats at the hospital involve some sort of _____________.
4. Amin will not agree to accept Christ's authority in his life, but he will accept the authority of __________.
5. Who is the president that is being overthrown by Major General Idi Amin Dada?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Idi Amin offer to Garrigan in exchange for his help after the Maserati accident?
2. What does Garrigan hear happened to the plane that Swanepoel was in?
3. What is the reason Waziri doesn't think Garrigan should have gone to see Amin Idi speak?
4. What is the cause of the bleeding nose of Amin's son when he is brought to Garrigan to be cured?
5. What was the work of Mr. Malumba, as Garrigan learns when visiting the family?
6. What does Garrigan claim he will not do as he tries to tell the story of Amin in this novel?
7. Why are Gugu's relatives angry with Garrigan and Sara for letting him stay with them for a month?
8. What has happened to the water situation in Kampala and to the hospital in particular?
9. How do the Israelis take the guards by surprise in their attempts to free the hostages and kill the terrorists?
10. What does Sara want from Garrigan when she calls him the night of the hostage situation?
Essay Topic 1
Within this story is the theme of loss. Garrigan loses much in the first half of the book, which may or may not have led to the rest of his trouble in the second half of the book.
Part 1: How do you think the string of losses for Garrigan will affect him as the book goes on?
Part 2: Do you think losses always have to make a person weaker? Why or why not?
Part 3: Can having many losses in your life make you more vulnerable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When Garrigan learns of the deaths of both of his parents, he makes the decision not to return to England to see them.
Part 1: Do you think Garrigan made the right decision to not go to see his parents and his family? Why or why not?
Part 2: Garrigan is beginning to believe he is growing callous. Do you agree with his assessment? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might you have reacted to the news of your parents' deaths while you were far away?
Essay Topic 3
Garrigan's documentation of Amin's life seems to be a bad idea from the start.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan decided to document Amin's life for himself?
Part 2: Why is it important that Garrigan document Amin's life?
Part 3: Is there anyone else who might be better suited to documenting Amin's life? Why or why not?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)