|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Garrigan decide to write his memoir after his adventures with Idi Amin?
2. Who are the soldiers beating up now, according to Swanepoel's observations?
3. What are all of the waiters crowding around when Garrigan is up having breakfast the next day?
4. What is hurting when Garrigan goes to the hospital to examine Idi Amin?
5. What does Garrigan use in order to remedy the problem that Idi Amin is having during Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is odd about the fact that Garrigan is doing surgery at the hospital in Kampala?
2. What is one of the duties that Garrigan is asked to do, outside of his hospital and medical duties?
3. What is the disheartening sight Garrigan can see from the window of his new office in Kampala?
4. What is Amin talking to when Garrigan finds him in the secret rooms?
5. What is the cause of the bleeding nose of Amin's son when he is brought to Garrigan to be cured?
6. What is Garrigan tempted to do instead of going through with the interview?
7. What does Garrigan tell Sara about the handling of predators after he stares down a leopard?
8. What is the reason Waziri doesn't think Garrigan should have gone to see Amin Idi speak?
9. How do the Israelis take the guards by surprise in their attempts to free the hostages and kill the terrorists?
10. What does Amin share with Garrigan about the identity and the activities of Swanepoel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Though Amin seems to be completely enamored with Garrigan, he still pulls a gun on him and forces him into a prison cell for a night.
Part 1: Why do you think that Amin decided to punish Garrigan at this point of the story?
Part 2: Do you think that Garrigan's experience of punishment will affect the way he feels about Amin? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think you would have tried to leave as Garrigan did after his experience? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The outburst that Amin has eaten human flesh understandably makes the entire dinner room quiet with fear.
Part 1: Why do you think Amin decided to shout out that he had eaten human flesh?
Part 2: Do you believe that Amin has actually eaten human flesh? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might you have responded to someone having said what Amin said? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The violence in this story is unsettling to the reader and to the characters who are observers of the violence.
Part 1: Why do you think that dictators so often use violence as a way to control their people?
Part 2: Do you think violence is the only method of completely controlling one's land and one's people? Why or why not?
Part 3: It's said that violence is never the answer. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)