|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the ambassador that meets up with Garrigan at the embassy at the start of Chapter 20?
2. Whose death is considered to be the most traumatic thing to have happened to Garrigan?
3. Most of the ailments that Garrigan treats at the hospital involve some sort of _____________.
4. Amin will not agree to accept Christ's authority in his life, but he will accept the authority of __________.
5. Who is the president that is being overthrown by Major General Idi Amin Dada?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Idi Amin offer to Garrigan in exchange for his help after the Maserati accident?
2. What does Garrigan hear happened to the plane that Swanepoel was in?
3. What is the reason Waziri doesn't think Garrigan should have gone to see Amin Idi speak?
4. What is the cause of the bleeding nose of Amin's son when he is brought to Garrigan to be cured?
5. What was the work of Mr. Malumba, as Garrigan learns when visiting the family?
6. What does Garrigan claim he will not do as he tries to tell the story of Amin in this novel?
7. Why are Gugu's relatives angry with Garrigan and Sara for letting him stay with them for a month?
8. What has happened to the water situation in Kampala and to the hospital in particular?
9. How do the Israelis take the guards by surprise in their attempts to free the hostages and kill the terrorists?
10. What does Sara want from Garrigan when she calls him the night of the hostage situation?
Essay Topic 1
The tremendous racial disparity in the book causes the reader to feel the discomfort of Garrigan and others who he calls friends.
Part 1: How does the racial disparity affect Garrigan on a daily basis? Or doesn't it?
Part 2: Why do you think that the races harbor such ill will toward each other?
Part 3: Why isn't Garrigan harassed more for being often the only white man around?
Essay Topic 2
The question of who is insane and who is not is a theme which continues through the book. After all, while it seems clear that Amin may be mentally disturbed, can he really be classified as insane?
Part 1: Why do you think many readers believe that Amin is truly insane?
Part 2: What other characters might be considered insane as well? Why?
Part 3: Why do you think that many prophets are considered to be insane as well?
Essay Topic 3
At times, Garrigan seems quite naive when talking to others. For example, Sara uses a shortwave radio to talk to her family, which seems odd.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan is a bit more native than others around him?
Part 2: What other reason might there be for Sara to have a short wave radio on hand?
Part 3: How might Garrigan's gullibility affect him as the story continues? Is this a good or bad quality for him to have?
This section contains 2,087 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)