|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Garrigan do at the main hospital at Kampala, even though he is not trained to do so?
2. Amin will not agree to accept Christ's authority in his life, but he will accept the authority of __________.
3. Where does Garrigan decide to write his memoir after his adventures with Idi Amin?
4. Garrigan's life at Mbarara has become _____________ to him, according to his descriptions.
5. What does Mrs. Merrit reveal to Garrigan as the reason why Dr. Merrit will not go back to England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Garrigan wearing a pair of clean scrubs as he goes down into the city later in the day?
2. What does Garrigan answer during an interview when he is asked what his address is?
3. What is surprising to Marina about the boat trip that she and Garrigan take?
4. How will Amin know that the baby that his second wife is carrying is not his, according to her lover?
5. What does Garrigan find himself charged with once he arrives on the shores of Kenya?
6. Who does Garrigan call in order to explain to them the headlines that are being posted about him and his interview?
7. What do Stone and Perkins want Garrigan to do in order to control Amin Idi more?
8. What is Merrit's reaction to the decision of Garrigan to leave the clinic to work with Amin?
9. Why does Garrigan need to test his own specimens at his clinic where he works?
10. What is the disheartening sight Garrigan can see from the window of his new office in Kampala?
Essay Topic 1
The tremendous racial disparity in the book causes the reader to feel the discomfort of Garrigan and others who he calls friends.
Part 1: How does the racial disparity affect Garrigan on a daily basis? Or doesn't it?
Part 2: Why do you think that the races harbor such ill will toward each other?
Part 3: Why isn't Garrigan harassed more for being often the only white man around?
Essay Topic 2
The outburst that Amin has eaten human flesh understandably makes the entire dinner room quiet with fear.
Part 1: Why do you think Amin decided to shout out that he had eaten human flesh?
Part 2: Do you believe that Amin has actually eaten human flesh? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might you have responded to someone having said what Amin said? Why?
Essay Topic 3
It's fascinating to see that Garrigan and Merrit still tend to think in terms of their Western medical backgrounds and upbringings rather than considering the context of their new setting.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan and Merrit still think of diseases in terms of their Western training?
Part 2: What was your reaction to the comments of Merrit when talking about his life in Mbarara?
Part 3: Do you think Merrit is actually trying to learn the ways of the Africans or is he trying to push his lifestyle and background on others? Why do you choose the answer you do?
This section contains 2,102 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)