|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years does Garrigan spend as Amin's personal doctor?
2. What does Garrigan use in order to remedy the problem that Idi Amin is having during Chapter 22?
3. In which city is Garrigan now stationed after his run in with Idi Amin?
4. Perkins tells Garrigan that Amin will soon be cracking down on the ________ and he is right.
5. Amin also says that Swanepoel is a spy for a ______________ aviation company.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Idi Amin say to the Queen when she asks him why he came to visit the country?
2. What two things does Garrigan receive during the month of June?
3. What does Idi Amin offer to Garrigan in exchange for his help after the Maserati accident?
4. What is Amin talking to when Garrigan finds him in the secret rooms?
5. What does Stone say about the position of power that Perkins holds over Garrigan?
6. What does Garrigan realize about the scene he witnesses in the center of the town?
7. What do the people in the city begin to do once they realize that the soldiers are not going to stop them?
8. While Garrigan is not able to gain access to the hostages at the airport situation, what is he able to do to help?
9. What does Garrigan tell Sara about the handling of predators after he stares down a leopard?
10. Who does Garrigan call in order to explain to them the headlines that are being posted about him and his interview?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Within this story is the theme of loss. Garrigan loses much in the first half of the book, which may or may not have led to the rest of his trouble in the second half of the book.
Part 1: How do you think the string of losses for Garrigan will affect him as the book goes on?
Part 2: Do you think losses always have to make a person weaker? Why or why not?
Part 3: Can having many losses in your life make you more vulnerable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
It's fascinating to see that Garrigan and Merrit still tend to think in terms of their Western medical backgrounds and upbringings rather than considering the context of their new setting.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan and Merrit still think of diseases in terms of their Western training?
Part 2: What was your reaction to the comments of Merrit when talking about his life in Mbarara?
Part 3: Do you think Merrit is actually trying to learn the ways of the Africans or is he trying to push his lifestyle and background on others? Why do you choose the answer you do?
Essay Topic 3
Garrigan ends up giving Swanepoel a box that contains a bomb, causing his plane to crash and for Swanepoel and the pilot to be killed.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan doesn't realize he is doing something wrong?
Part 2: Why do you think that Amin asks Garrigan to deliver this dangerous package to the place?
Part 3: Would you have accepted a gift from Amin if you were in Swanepoel's position? Why or why not?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)