|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Garrigan use in order to learn more about the country and the people of Uganda?
2. Stone says that Garrigan is ___________ in what Amin does if Garrigan does not decide to kill Amin.
3. Where does Garrigan decide to write his memoir after his adventures with Idi Amin?
4. What is Amin's daughter supposedly suffering from having within her body?
5. What are all of the waiters crowding around when Garrigan is up having breakfast the next day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the people in the city begin to do once they realize that the soldiers are not going to stop them?
2. What two things does Garrigan receive during the month of June?
3. What does the Tanzanian Colonel have to say about the boy soldiers who are fighting?
4. What happens when Garrigan is told to come with the soldier and get off the bus?
5. What does Idi Amin offer to Garrigan in exchange for his help after the Maserati accident?
6. What does Garrigan imagine as he wanders in the halls of Amin's house as it is looted?
7. What happens to the driver of the car in which Amin was riding where his life was almost taken?
8. Why are Gugu's relatives angry with Garrigan and Sara for letting him stay with them for a month?
9. What is odd about the fact that Garrigan is doing surgery at the hospital in Kampala?
10. What is one of the duties that Garrigan is asked to do, outside of his hospital and medical duties?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Garrigan ends up giving Swanepoel a box that contains a bomb, causing his plane to crash and for Swanepoel and the pilot to be killed.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan doesn't realize he is doing something wrong?
Part 2: Why do you think that Amin asks Garrigan to deliver this dangerous package to the place?
Part 3: Would you have accepted a gift from Amin if you were in Swanepoel's position? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Within this story is the theme of loss. Garrigan loses much in the first half of the book, which may or may not have led to the rest of his trouble in the second half of the book.
Part 1: How do you think the string of losses for Garrigan will affect him as the book goes on?
Part 2: Do you think losses always have to make a person weaker? Why or why not?
Part 3: Can having many losses in your life make you more vulnerable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Amin knows just how powerful and how feared he is - and thus, how little he can trust others, aside from Garrigan.
Part 1: Do you think it's important for a leader to be able to trust others? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think that Amin trusts Garrigan more than anyone else?
Part 3: Do you think that Garrigan should trust Amin and anything he says? Why or why not?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)