|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Garrigan believes that Amin's delusions of grandeur may be common to all __________.
2. Amin writes to the Secretary General of the UM, telling him that __________ was right in massacring the Israelis.
3. Amin also says that Swanepoel is a spy for a ______________ aviation company.
4. Amin threatens a reporter by saying that no one can outrun a ______________.
5. Who are the soldiers beating up now, according to Swanepoel's observations?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Amin talking to when Garrigan finds him in the secret rooms?
2. What are some of the images that Garrigan sees in his recurring dream about Amin?
3. What does Garrigan realize about the scene he witnesses in the center of the town?
4. What does Garrigan see when he approaches the center of town?
5. What does Idi Amin offer to Garrigan in exchange for his help after the Maserati accident?
6. What happens when Garrigan is told to come with the soldier and get off the bus?
7. What does the Tanzanian Colonel have to say about the boy soldiers who are fighting?
8. What is the disheartening sight Garrigan can see from the window of his new office in Kampala?
9. Which couple does Garrigan observe in the bar when he is walking through Kampala?
10. Where is Amin, according to news reports that Garrigan hears from his new home?
Essay Topic 1
Though Amin seems to be completely enamored with Garrigan, he still pulls a gun on him and forces him into a prison cell for a night.
Part 1: Why do you think that Amin decided to punish Garrigan at this point of the story?
Part 2: Do you think that Garrigan's experience of punishment will affect the way he feels about Amin? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think you would have tried to leave as Garrigan did after his experience? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Garrigan treats Amin's children as well, even going so far as to indicate that Amin's daughter is faking an injury to get more attention.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan decides to be honest about the daughter's lack of injury?
Part 2: Do you think you could have been able to treat Amin's children if you were in Garrigan's shoes? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think that Garrigan is willing to help everyone in Amin's family?
Essay Topic 3
When Garrigan learns of the deaths of both of his parents, he makes the decision not to return to England to see them.
Part 1: Do you think Garrigan made the right decision to not go to see his parents and his family? Why or why not?
Part 2: Garrigan is beginning to believe he is growing callous. Do you agree with his assessment? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might you have reacted to the news of your parents' deaths while you were far away?
This section contains 2,045 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)