|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Barclay is the _____________ who takes Garrigan to the Ministry of Health for his new position.
2. What do Garrigan and the other workers have to examine on their own after a day at the clinic?
3. What does Peter request from Garrigan in order to cover up an affair Peter had with one of Amin's wives?
4. What is the subject that Weir, Stone, and Perkins bring up with Garrigan?
5. ___________ blames Garrigan for the collapse of the clinic before he leaves the country.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Stone say about the position of power that Perkins holds over Garrigan?
2. What is surprising to Marina about the boat trip that she and Garrigan take?
3. While Garrigan is not able to gain access to the hostages at the airport situation, what is he able to do to help?
4. What does Garrigan hear happened to the plane that Swanepoel was in?
5. What does Sara want from Garrigan when she calls him the night of the hostage situation?
6. What does Garrigan realize about the scene he witnesses in the center of the town?
7. What do the Tanzanian forces decide to use for their new headquarters as they advance into Kampala?
8. What does Amin insist that Garrigan publish a report on when Garrigan is still in his services?
9. What does Amin want Garrigan to do as a demonstration of his loyalty to Amin?
10. How does Garrigan help Amin plan for the invasion of Tansania during his time with the dictator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The tremendous racial disparity in the book causes the reader to feel the discomfort of Garrigan and others who he calls friends.
Part 1: How does the racial disparity affect Garrigan on a daily basis? Or doesn't it?
Part 2: Why do you think that the races harbor such ill will toward each other?
Part 3: Why isn't Garrigan harassed more for being often the only white man around?
Essay Topic 2
It's fascinating to see that Garrigan and Merrit still tend to think in terms of their Western medical backgrounds and upbringings rather than considering the context of their new setting.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan and Merrit still think of diseases in terms of their Western training?
Part 2: What was your reaction to the comments of Merrit when talking about his life in Mbarara?
Part 3: Do you think Merrit is actually trying to learn the ways of the Africans or is he trying to push his lifestyle and background on others? Why do you choose the answer you do?
Essay Topic 3
Garrigan's documentation of Amin's life seems to be a bad idea from the start.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan decided to document Amin's life for himself?
Part 2: Why is it important that Garrigan document Amin's life?
Part 3: Is there anyone else who might be better suited to documenting Amin's life? Why or why not?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)