|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amin wear when he says that he has been talking to NASA about being the first black man on the moon?
2. What does Marina offer to bring on the boat trip with Garrigan, when she is invited?
3. What is the nickname of the student Garrigan meets while riding on the bus to Mbarara?
4. Who tells Garrigan that he/she is restricted by the position of his/her spouse and are bored as a result?
5. What does Amin think is wrong with Garrigan when he returns in a daze?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Garrigan is told to come with the soldier and get off the bus?
2. What is the supposed ailment of Amin's daughter who attends a boarding school?
3. What is odd about the fact that Garrigan is doing surgery at the hospital in Kampala?
4. Describe the bothy that is waiting for Garrigan when he finally arrives on the island.
5. What does Amin insist that Garrigan publish a report on when Garrigan is still in his services?
6. What does Garrigan answer during an interview when he is asked what his address is?
7. What is Merrit's reaction to the decision of Garrigan to leave the clinic to work with Amin?
8. What does Stone say about the position of power that Perkins holds over Garrigan?
9. Why does Garrigan need to test his own specimens at his clinic where he works?
10. What is Garrigan tempted to do instead of going through with the interview?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Amin knows just how powerful and how feared he is - and thus, how little he can trust others, aside from Garrigan.
Part 1: Do you think it's important for a leader to be able to trust others? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think that Amin trusts Garrigan more than anyone else?
Part 3: Do you think that Garrigan should trust Amin and anything he says? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The violence in this story is unsettling to the reader and to the characters who are observers of the violence.
Part 1: Why do you think that dictators so often use violence as a way to control their people?
Part 2: Do you think violence is the only method of completely controlling one's land and one's people? Why or why not?
Part 3: It's said that violence is never the answer. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The question of who is insane and who is not is a theme which continues through the book. After all, while it seems clear that Amin may be mentally disturbed, can he really be classified as insane?
Part 1: Why do you think many readers believe that Amin is truly insane?
Part 2: What other characters might be considered insane as well? Why?
Part 3: Why do you think that many prophets are considered to be insane as well?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)