|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Garrigan called upon to brief as they reported on Idi Amin?
2. Who is NOT a part of the dinner at the Merrits' at the start of Chapter 11 in the book?
3. What does Amin wear when he says that he has been talking to NASA about being the first black man on the moon?
4. Barclay is the _____________ who takes Garrigan to the Ministry of Health for his new position.
5. Garrigan wants to provide an ____________ account of the actions and decisions of Idi Amin.
Short Essay Questions
1. When Garrigan stops to ask some men for directions, what do they tell him about his safety?
2. What is one of the duties that Garrigan is asked to do, outside of his hospital and medical duties?
3. Where is Amin, according to news reports that Garrigan hears from his new home?
4. What do the people in the city begin to do once they realize that the soldiers are not going to stop them?
5. How do the Israelis take the guards by surprise in their attempts to free the hostages and kill the terrorists?
6. Why are Gugu's relatives angry with Garrigan and Sara for letting him stay with them for a month?
7. What does Garrigan tell Sara about the handling of predators after he stares down a leopard?
8. What is the disheartening sight Garrigan can see from the window of his new office in Kampala?
9. What happens as Garrigan emerges from his hiding place after running from the soldiers?
10. What does Garrigan do in order to aid the escape of Amin during the looting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At times, Garrigan seems quite naive when talking to others. For example, Sara uses a shortwave radio to talk to her family, which seems odd.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan is a bit more native than others around him?
Part 2: What other reason might there be for Sara to have a short wave radio on hand?
Part 3: How might Garrigan's gullibility affect him as the story continues? Is this a good or bad quality for him to have?
Essay Topic 2
As is the case with many books, the narrator may or may not be as reliable as the reader wants them to be.
Part 1: Does Garrigan seem to be a reliable narrator? Why or why not?
Part 2: Who might have been a better narrator for this story? Why?
Part 3: In what ways does the narrator affect the story for a reader? How does their version of events affect a story?
Essay Topic 3
Women are portrayed as being weaker in this novel - the report, Amin's wives, etc.
Part 1: Why do you think that women are seen as being weaker and harmless in this story?
Part 2: What does the character of Sara tell the reader about women during this time period?
Part 3: Do you think that Garrigan is sexist? Why or why not?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)