|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While there is talk of a coup, Garrigan is told not to worry as they generally leave ____________ alone.
2. Stone says that he has orders to tell Garrigan to ____________, not just incapacitate him.
3. What kind of wine is being made at the wine factory Garrigan and Waziri visit during a trip together?
4. Idi Amin makes a speech in which he states that all _____________ should go back to their home country.
5. Who advises Garrigan to get out of the city in order to avoid the coup that is taking place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the complaints the Merrits share about their servants at the house?
2. What has happened to Amin's bed when Garrigan enters Amin's bedroom during the looting?
3. What has happened to the water situation in Kampala and to the hospital in particular?
4. What does Garrigan hear happened to the plane that Swanepoel was in?
5. What does Amin insist that Garrigan publish a report on when Garrigan is still in his services?
6. What do Stone and Perkins want Garrigan to do in order to control Amin Idi more?
7. What does Garrigan find himself charged with once he arrives on the shores of Kenya?
8. What is Merrit's reaction to the decision of Garrigan to leave the clinic to work with Amin?
9. Describe the bothy that is waiting for Garrigan when he finally arrives on the island.
10. What does Idi Amin offer to Garrigan in exchange for his help after the Maserati accident?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The media begins to call Amin's statements stranger and stranger as they continue to be broadcast on the radio.
Part 1: Why do you think the media is quick to point out the flaws and the 'craziness' in the statements of Amin?
Part 2: Do you think that Amin is truly crazy? Why or why not?
Part 3: In what ways does the media benefit from calling a dictator crazy?
Essay Topic 2
Amin knows just how powerful and how feared he is - and thus, how little he can trust others, aside from Garrigan.
Part 1: Do you think it's important for a leader to be able to trust others? Why or why not?
Part 2: Why do you think that Amin trusts Garrigan more than anyone else?
Part 3: Do you think that Garrigan should trust Amin and anything he says? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
It's fascinating to see that Garrigan and Merrit still tend to think in terms of their Western medical backgrounds and upbringings rather than considering the context of their new setting.
Part 1: Why do you think that Garrigan and Merrit still think of diseases in terms of their Western training?
Part 2: What was your reaction to the comments of Merrit when talking about his life in Mbarara?
Part 3: Do you think Merrit is actually trying to learn the ways of the Africans or is he trying to push his lifestyle and background on others? Why do you choose the answer you do?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)