|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kathleen's husband a leader of?
2. What is Kathleen's husband's occupation?
3. Where is Stahr building a house?
4. How long before her announcement of love to Stahr did Cecelia's boyfriend die?
5. What is Jane Meloney's occupation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Brimmer criticize Stahr during their meeting?
2. What does Brady do while Stahr is ill?
3. What happens just before Stahr leaves his office for the day and how does Stahr respond to this?
4. What does Stahr find in his office after he looks at the afternoon dailies?
5. What does Stahr do when Kathleen tries to sneak out of the party?
6. What does a black man say to Stahr while he is on the beach with Kathleen, and how does he respond?
7. What do we learn when Stahr has a quick check-up with his physician?
8. What happens when Cecelia tells Stahr how she feels about him?
9. How does Brady try to blackmail Stahr?
10. What is so amusing to Kathleen about the house Stahr is building?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Brady and Stahr are similar characters in this book, and yet there are some marked differences. What are some of the differences and similarities in these two dynamic characters?
Essay Topic 2
How does the relationship between Kathleen and Stahr change throughout the course of the plot, and how do these changes affect the characters around them?
Essay Topic 3
What happens at Stahr's unfinished house, and what significance does this have on the plot? Who is involved in the scenes there, and what do these events symbolize?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)