|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stahr offer to do for the person he meets with?
2. Why does Martha want to speak with Cecelia's father?
3. Where is Stahr building a house?
4. Where does Stahr ask Cecelia to go with him?
5. What does Stahr do for the man that tries to commit suicide at the studio?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Brady do while Stahr is ill?
2. What does Stahr do when he looks at the dailies after lunch?
3. Why does Stahr want a meeting set up between him and members of the Communist Party?
4. What happens when a phone begins to ring at Stahr's unfinished house?
5. What happens when Cecelia tells Stahr how she feels about him?
6. What does Stahr find in his office after he looks at the afternoon dailies?
7. What happens when Brimmer and Stahr are together at Cecelia's house?
8. How was Cecelia once connected to Communist Party leaders, and why has that connection weakened?
9. Why does Brimmer criticize Stahr during their meeting?
10. What does Stahr realize when he meets with the girl from the flood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character do you relate with the most in this book? Why is this? How does this character change throughout the book?
Essay Topic 2
Stahr endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Brady and Stahr are similar characters in this book, and yet there are some marked differences. What are some of the differences and similarities in these two dynamic characters?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)