|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds what the woman from the flood misplaced in Stahr's car?
2. How does the man Cecelia gets to meet with Stahr think writers are being treated unfairly?
3. How does Stahr die?
4. Where does Stahr first make love to the woman who looks like his late wife?
5. Why does Stahr not quit when he returns from his trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Brimmer and Stahr are together at Cecelia's house?
2. What does Stahr do to make up for the inept work of Wylie White?
3. How does Brady try to blackmail Stahr?
4. What happens when a phone begins to ring at Stahr's unfinished house?
5. What does Stahr do when he looks at the dailies after lunch?
6. What does Stahr realize when he meets with the girl from the flood?
7. Why does Brimmer criticize Stahr during their meeting?
8. What do we learn when Stahr has a quick check-up with his physician?
9. What does Brimmer do when Stahr threatens him?
10. Where does Stahr go after his relationship with Cecelia, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The characters in this book all have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affects the characters around them.
Essay Topic 2
Kathleen's husband is a minor character whose presence makes a big difference in the plot. How does he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if he had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Power and greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)