|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Judas get angry with Jesus in Cana?
2. What is the subject of Jesus's earliest dream?
3. What does Barabbas accuse Jesus of while he and his disciples are in Jerusalem?
4. Why does Jesus send Peter and John to Jerusalem?
5. Who joins Jesus's group of disciples in Chapter 21?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Jesus's disciples do after Jesus is captured by the mob at Gethsemane?
2. Why does Barabbas confront Jesus at Simon's Inn?
3. What does Jesus ask of Judas before he sees Pilate?
4. What does Jesus declare in Jerusalem that makes Simeon afraid?
5. Why are Jesus and his disciples hiding in Simon's inn?
6. What does Jesus say to Pilate, regarding Rome, the first time they meet?
7. What does Judas see in Jesus's hand that makes him want to follow Jesus?
8. What happens in the Garden of Gethsemane after the Passover meal?
9. What visions does Jesus see while he is in the desert?
10. What does Matthew do while Jesus and the other disciples sleep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Jesus wakes up on the cross, realizing that he is not a coward or traitor, he shouts "IT IS ACCOMPLISHED!" However, Kazantzakis comments that he could have instead shouted, "Everything has begun." What is the significance of this statement? What does Kazantzakis mean by this? What is Jesus's legacy? How did he change the world? What, specifically, began with his crucifixion, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Jesus is tormented by dreams and visions. God and Satan are constantly battling for Jesus's allegiance. What tricks does the Devil employ to try and gain Jesus's loyalty? How is Jesus able to tell the difference between the Devil's tricks and God's messengers? Are there situations in which he is confused about whether it is God or the Devil communicating with him? If so, what are they? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The Curse follows Jesus throughout the course of the novel. How is the Curse described? Why is it following Jesus? What is its purpose? What is the significance of its armored, animalistic appearance? Why is the Curse later referred to as a mother figure? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)