|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Lazarus on the road to Barabbas?
2. What is Salome doing when Jesus and his disciples arrive in Capernaum for the second time?
3. How does Judas respond when Jesus tells him that he is the lamb to be led to slaughter?
4. What is the subject of the parable that Jesus tells Zebedee?
5. Who does Jesus bring back to life in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jesus declare in Jerusalem that makes Simeon afraid?
2. What does Matthew do while Jesus and the other disciples sleep?
3. Why does Barabbas confront Jesus at Simon's Inn?
4. How does Jesus react when he reads what Matthew has written in scripture?
5. Why are Jesus and his disciples hiding in Simon's inn?
6. How do Annas, Caiaphas, and Pilate feel about Jesus after meeting him?
7. Why does Simeon come to see Jesus in Capernaum?
8. What does Judas see in Jesus's hand that makes him want to follow Jesus?
9. What does Jesus ask of Judas before he sees Pilate?
10. What visions does Jesus see while he is in the desert?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jerusalem has become a filthy place full of corruption and squalor; even those who make pilgrimages there are soon corrupted by it. What happened to the city of Jerusalem, which allowed it to fall into such disrepair? What is Jesus supposed to do to restore Jerusalem to its former glory? How is he supposed to take his place on the throne of Jerusalem? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
When Jesus wakes up on the cross, realizing that he is not a coward or traitor, he shouts "IT IS ACCOMPLISHED!" However, Kazantzakis comments that he could have instead shouted, "Everything has begun." What is the significance of this statement? What does Kazantzakis mean by this? What is Jesus's legacy? How did he change the world? What, specifically, began with his crucifixion, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Kazantzakis portrays Jesus as a human being who experiences temptations, sin, and vice, and who is not always welcoming of God's will. How is this portrayal of Jesus different from the way he is depicted in scripture and other religious writings? Why do you think Kazantzakis chose to portray Jesus this way? What can we infer about Kazantzakis's opinion of the accuracy of scripture? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)