|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these is NOT a punishment sent down to Jerusalem, by God?
2. After his time in the desert, where does God bring Jesus?
3. How does Zebedee view Jesus and his disciples when they arrive at Capernaum for the second time?
4. What is John the Baptist's opinion of Jesus?
5. Peter dreams about Jesus _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jesus and his disciples go to Magdala in Chapter 22?
2. Why are Jesus and his disciples hiding in Simon's inn?
3. How do Annas, Caiaphas, and Pilate feel about Jesus after meeting him?
4. What does Matthew do while Jesus and the other disciples sleep?
5. What happens when Jesus rides into Jerusalem in the spring?
6. What does Jesus say to Pilate, regarding Rome, the first time they meet?
7. What happens in the Garden of Gethsemane after the Passover meal?
8. What does Judas see in Jesus's hand that makes him want to follow Jesus?
9. Why does Barabbas confront Jesus at Simon's Inn?
10. How does Jesus react when he reads what Matthew has written in scripture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kazantzakis portrays Jesus as a man who is in a constant battle with God and wants to go against God's will. How is this depiction of Jesus different from the commonly-accepted Biblical account of Jesus? Why does Jesus constantly try to force God to leave him alone? What would happen to him without God's intervening in his life? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The angel with the green wings is the last one to tempt Jesus and shows him what he could have had if he had not chosen to follow the path God laid out for him. What effect does the angel's interference have on Jesus? How does it change Jesus's attitude toward the events of his life and his crucifixion? Who sent the angel? Why? What is its purpose? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Pontius Pilate dismisses Jesus as harmless, though there are others, such as Annas and Caiaphas, who feel that he is a revolutionary and a threat to Rome. Why isn't Pilate as concerned about Jesus as the others are? Why is Pilate initially reluctant to condemn Jesus? Why does he eventually comply with the others' wishes to crucify him, even though he doesn't see him as a threat? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)