|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jesus send Peter and John to Jerusalem?
2. Why does Judas get angry with Jesus in Cana?
3. Who does Jesus heal in Cana?
4. What is John the Baptist's opinion of Jesus?
5. The man Jesus heals in Cana wants Jesus's help with _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jesus and his disciples go to Magdala in Chapter 22?
2. What does Jesus declare in Jerusalem that makes Simeon afraid?
3. Why does Barabbas confront Jesus at Simon's Inn?
4. What do Jesus and Zebedee discuss when Jesus and his disciples return to Capernaum?
5. What happens in the Garden of Gethsemane after the Passover meal?
6. What does Matthew do while Jesus and the other disciples sleep?
7. What does Judas see in Jesus's hand that makes him want to follow Jesus?
8. How is Jerusalem described in Chapter 16?
9. What do Jesus's disciples do after Jesus is captured by the mob at Gethsemane?
10. How do Annas, Caiaphas, and Pilate feel about Jesus after meeting him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kazantzakis portrays Jesus as a human being who experiences temptations, sin, and vice, and who is not always welcoming of God's will. How is this portrayal of Jesus different from the way he is depicted in scripture and other religious writings? Why do you think Kazantzakis chose to portray Jesus this way? What can we infer about Kazantzakis's opinion of the accuracy of scripture? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Mary Magdalene is an important character in "The Last Temptation of Christ." Why is her character so prominent, when she is merely a peripheral character in scripture? How is her relationship with Jesus in the novel different from their relationship in scripture? Why? How does her prominence, as a character, reflect on the events of Jesus's life? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Matthew writes one account of Jesus's genealogy, but he is forced by an angel to change what he has written, so that it is in accordance with prophecy. How does Matthew feel about doing so? Why? How does Jesus feel when he reads it? Why? Why does the angel force Matthew to lie? What is Kazantzakis trying to say about his views on scripture? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)