|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jesus flee from, in Jerusalem's temple?
2. When confronted by Pilate, what does Jesus deny?
3. What does Jesus fear as Spring approaches?
4. Who is Matthew when Jesus meets him?
5. What is the new meaning of the paschal meal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Jesus rides into Jerusalem in the spring?
2. How does Jesus react when he reads what Matthew has written in scripture?
3. What does Judas see in Jesus's hand that makes him want to follow Jesus?
4. Why does Barabbas confront Jesus at Simon's Inn?
5. What happens to Jesus and his disciples in the temple of Jerusalem?
6. What visions does Jesus see while he is in the desert?
7. What does Jesus declare in Jerusalem that makes Simeon afraid?
8. What do Jesus and Zebedee discuss when Jesus and his disciples return to Capernaum?
9. How is Jerusalem described in Chapter 16?
10. What does Jesus say to Pilate, regarding Rome, the first time they meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jesus praises Nathaniel for giving an answer that goes contrary to the law because the law goes contrary to Jesus's heart. What does Jesus feel is wrong with the existing laws? How does he propose fixing them? What, specifically, does he disagree with? Why? Is there a difference between something that is legal and something that is just? If so, what is it? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Mary is hailed as the blessed mother of the Son of God, but in "The Last Temptation of Christ," she often feels far from blessed. What does Mary want for her only son? Why is she always upset about the situation Jesus is in? How does she feel about God's involvement in her and her son's life? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Mary Magdalene is an important character in "The Last Temptation of Christ." Why is her character so prominent, when she is merely a peripheral character in scripture? How is her relationship with Jesus in the novel different from their relationship in scripture? Why? How does her prominence, as a character, reflect on the events of Jesus's life? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)