|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who beheads John the Baptist?
2. What is the subject of Jesus's earliest dream?
3. What will happen if Herod hears of John the Baptist's last words?
4. Which of Jesus's disciples wants to return to Galilee, while they are all hiding in Jerusalem?
5. Andrew compares John the Baptist to whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Annas, Caiaphas, and Pilate feel about Jesus after meeting him?
2. How does Jesus change the significance of the paschal meal?
3. What happens when Jesus rides into Jerusalem in the spring?
4. What happens when Jesus and his disciples go to Magdala in Chapter 22?
5. What does a bird tell Jesus about Heaven and Hell?
6. How is Jerusalem described in Chapter 16?
7. What does Jesus say to Pilate, regarding Rome, the first time they meet?
8. What does Jesus do in Cana?
9. What happens when Jesus meets John the Baptist?
10. What is the position of Lazarus at the end of Chapter 25?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Judas spends most of his time struggling with whether or not to kill Jesus. Why does he want to do so? What drives him to the point of feeling that he needs to take such drastic measures? Why is he unable to carry out his plan every time he has an opportunity? What does this say about his level of commitment to his plan? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Paul tells Jesus that obstinacy, longing, and faith create truth. The world needs consolation, factual or not. How does Jesus react to these statements? How true are they? What historical examples serve to prove Paul's point? What is Kazantzakis trying to say about faith, religion, and truth? How does Paul's version of truth relate to the kind that Jesus is trying to spread? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Mary is hailed as the blessed mother of the Son of God, but in "The Last Temptation of Christ," she often feels far from blessed. What does Mary want for her only son? Why is she always upset about the situation Jesus is in? How does she feel about God's involvement in her and her son's life? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)