|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As Jesus prays in Gethsemane, what does he beg God to do?
2. What is John the Baptist's opinion of Jesus?
3. Who washes Jesus's feet with perfume?
4. Who insists that the disciples stay in Jerusalem and protect Jesus, instead of returning to Galilee?
5. Who does Jesus bring back to life in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Jesus and Zebedee discuss when Jesus and his disciples return to Capernaum?
2. Why are Jesus and his disciples hiding in Simon's inn?
3. What happens in the Garden of Gethsemane after the Passover meal?
4. How is Jerusalem described in Chapter 16?
5. What does Jesus ask of Judas before he sees Pilate?
6. What do Jesus's disciples do after Jesus is captured by the mob at Gethsemane?
7. What does Judas see in Jesus's hand that makes him want to follow Jesus?
8. What happens to Jesus and his disciples in the temple of Jerusalem?
9. How do Annas, Caiaphas, and Pilate feel about Jesus after meeting him?
10. What does a bird tell Jesus about Heaven and Hell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary is hailed as the blessed mother of the Son of God, but in "The Last Temptation of Christ," she often feels far from blessed. What does Mary want for her only son? Why is she always upset about the situation Jesus is in? How does she feel about God's involvement in her and her son's life? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Kazantzakis portrays Jesus as a human being who experiences temptations, sin, and vice, and who is not always welcoming of God's will. How is this portrayal of Jesus different from the way he is depicted in scripture and other religious writings? Why do you think Kazantzakis chose to portray Jesus this way? What can we infer about Kazantzakis's opinion of the accuracy of scripture? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Jesus goes into the desert in an attempt to communicate directly with God. Abbot Joachim starves himself in a similar attempt. Who else performs extreme actions to gain the attention of God? Why do they find it necessary to go to such extreme measures to communicate with God? How effective are these methods? What is the final result of their attempts? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)