|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pilate feel about Jesus, after meeting him for the first time?
2. Who washes Jesus's feet with perfume?
3. During their first meeting, what does Pilate urge Jesus to do?
4. After his time in the desert, where does God bring Jesus?
5. What does Jesus cry out, as he faints, at the end of Chapter 29?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Jesus and his disciples hiding in Simon's inn?
2. Why does Simeon come to see Jesus in Capernaum?
3. What does the angel who visits Matthew in Capernaum demand of him?
4. What do Jesus and Zebedee discuss when Jesus and his disciples return to Capernaum?
5. What does Jesus say to Pilate, regarding Rome, the first time they meet?
6. How do Annas, Caiaphas, and Pilate feel about Jesus after meeting him?
7. What is the position of Lazarus at the end of Chapter 25?
8. What happens to Jesus and his disciples in the temple of Jerusalem?
9. What does Judas see in Jesus's hand that makes him want to follow Jesus?
10. What happens when Jesus rides into Jerusalem in the spring?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jesus goes into the desert in an attempt to communicate directly with God. Abbot Joachim starves himself in a similar attempt. Who else performs extreme actions to gain the attention of God? Why do they find it necessary to go to such extreme measures to communicate with God? How effective are these methods? What is the final result of their attempts? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Jesus is tormented by dreams and visions. God and Satan are constantly battling for Jesus's allegiance. What tricks does the Devil employ to try and gain Jesus's loyalty? How is Jesus able to tell the difference between the Devil's tricks and God's messengers? Are there situations in which he is confused about whether it is God or the Devil communicating with him? If so, what are they? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Paul tells Jesus that obstinacy, longing, and faith create truth. The world needs consolation, factual or not. How does Jesus react to these statements? How true are they? What historical examples serve to prove Paul's point? What is Kazantzakis trying to say about faith, religion, and truth? How does Paul's version of truth relate to the kind that Jesus is trying to spread? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)