|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the new meaning of the paschal meal?
2. Who joins Jesus's group of disciples in Chapter 21?
3. What does Jesus cry out, as he faints, at the end of Chapter 29?
4. What archangel comes to Jesus while he is in the desert?
5. Which of these is NOT a punishment sent down to Jerusalem, by God?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Jerusalem described in Chapter 16?
2. What does Jesus declare in Jerusalem that makes Simeon afraid?
3. What does a bird tell Jesus about Heaven and Hell?
4. What visions does Jesus see while he is in the desert?
5. What does Judas see in Jesus's hand that makes him want to follow Jesus?
6. What do Jesus's disciples do after Jesus is captured by the mob at Gethsemane?
7. How does Jesus change the significance of the paschal meal?
8. What is the position of Lazarus at the end of Chapter 25?
9. What does Jesus do in Cana?
10. What happens in the Garden of Gethsemane after the Passover meal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Judas spends most of his time struggling with whether or not to kill Jesus. Why does he want to do so? What drives him to the point of feeling that he needs to take such drastic measures? Why is he unable to carry out his plan every time he has an opportunity? What does this say about his level of commitment to his plan? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Pontius Pilate dismisses Jesus as harmless, though there are others, such as Annas and Caiaphas, who feel that he is a revolutionary and a threat to Rome. Why isn't Pilate as concerned about Jesus as the others are? Why is Pilate initially reluctant to condemn Jesus? Why does he eventually comply with the others' wishes to crucify him, even though he doesn't see him as a threat? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Mary Magdalene is an important character in "The Last Temptation of Christ." Why is her character so prominent, when she is merely a peripheral character in scripture? How is her relationship with Jesus in the novel different from their relationship in scripture? Why? How does her prominence, as a character, reflect on the events of Jesus's life? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)