|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When talking to Pilate, Jesus compares Rome to ____________.
2. How does Judas respond when Jesus tells him that he is the lamb to be led to slaughter?
3. What happens to Lazarus on the road to Barabbas?
4. Why does Jesus get frustrated with his disciples in Chapter 21?
5. How does Jesus feel when he reads what Matthew has written?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the angel who visits Matthew in Capernaum demand of him?
2. How does Jesus react when he reads what Matthew has written in scripture?
3. Why does Barabbas confront Jesus at Simon's Inn?
4. What does Matthew do while Jesus and the other disciples sleep?
5. What is the position of Lazarus at the end of Chapter 25?
6. What does a bird tell Jesus about Heaven and Hell?
7. How do Annas, Caiaphas, and Pilate feel about Jesus after meeting him?
8. What does Judas see in Jesus's hand that makes him want to follow Jesus?
9. What visions does Jesus see while he is in the desert?
10. What does Jesus say to Pilate, regarding Rome, the first time they meet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary is hailed as the blessed mother of the Son of God, but in "The Last Temptation of Christ," she often feels far from blessed. What does Mary want for her only son? Why is she always upset about the situation Jesus is in? How does she feel about God's involvement in her and her son's life? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Mary Magdalene is an important character in "The Last Temptation of Christ." Why is her character so prominent, when she is merely a peripheral character in scripture? How is her relationship with Jesus in the novel different from their relationship in scripture? Why? How does her prominence, as a character, reflect on the events of Jesus's life? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Jesus goes into the desert in an attempt to communicate directly with God. Abbot Joachim starves himself in a similar attempt. Who else performs extreme actions to gain the attention of God? Why do they find it necessary to go to such extreme measures to communicate with God? How effective are these methods? What is the final result of their attempts? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)