|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jesus want to do with the existing Laws?
2. Where does Jesus revive after the incident in Jerusalem's temple?
3. The archangel that comes to Jesus in the desert is really whom?
4. Peter dreams about Jesus _______.
5. How do Annas and Caiaphas feel about Jesus, after meeting him for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jesus react when he reads what Matthew has written in scripture?
2. What do Jesus and Zebedee discuss when Jesus and his disciples return to Capernaum?
3. What happens when Jesus meets John the Baptist?
4. What does Jesus declare in Jerusalem that makes Simeon afraid?
5. What does Jesus do in Cana?
6. What does Matthew do while Jesus and the other disciples sleep?
7. What does Judas see in Jesus's hand that makes him want to follow Jesus?
8. What is the position of Lazarus at the end of Chapter 25?
9. What happens when Jesus rides into Jerusalem in the spring?
10. Why does Barabbas confront Jesus at Simon's Inn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kazantzakis portrays Jesus as a human being who experiences temptations, sin, and vice, and who is not always welcoming of God's will. How is this portrayal of Jesus different from the way he is depicted in scripture and other religious writings? Why do you think Kazantzakis chose to portray Jesus this way? What can we infer about Kazantzakis's opinion of the accuracy of scripture? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The angel with the green wings is the last one to tempt Jesus and shows him what he could have had if he had not chosen to follow the path God laid out for him. What effect does the angel's interference have on Jesus? How does it change Jesus's attitude toward the events of his life and his crucifixion? Who sent the angel? Why? What is its purpose? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Jerusalem has become a filthy place full of corruption and squalor; even those who make pilgrimages there are soon corrupted by it. What happened to the city of Jerusalem, which allowed it to fall into such disrepair? What is Jesus supposed to do to restore Jerusalem to its former glory? How is he supposed to take his place on the throne of Jerusalem? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)