|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While Jesus is in Cana, what is Mary Magdalene doing?
2. What does Jesus cry out, as he faints, at the end of Chapter 29?
3. What animal has Jerusalem driven into the desert?
4. Who joins Jesus's group of disciples after their trek from Cana to Capernaum?
5. Who washes Jesus's feet with perfume?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Jesus's disciples do after Jesus is captured by the mob at Gethsemane?
2. How does Jesus change the significance of the paschal meal?
3. What does Jesus do in Cana?
4. Why does Simeon come to see Jesus in Capernaum?
5. What does Matthew do while Jesus and the other disciples sleep?
6. How does Jesus react when he reads what Matthew has written in scripture?
7. What does Jesus say to Pilate, regarding Rome, the first time they meet?
8. Why does Barabbas confront Jesus at Simon's Inn?
9. What does the angel who visits Matthew in Capernaum demand of him?
10. What happens to Jesus and his disciples in the temple of Jerusalem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Jesus wakes up on the cross, realizing that he is not a coward or traitor, he shouts "IT IS ACCOMPLISHED!" However, Kazantzakis comments that he could have instead shouted, "Everything has begun." What is the significance of this statement? What does Kazantzakis mean by this? What is Jesus's legacy? How did he change the world? What, specifically, began with his crucifixion, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Jesus begins feeling the sensation of an invisible vulture digging its claws into his skull when he is 12 years old. How does this sensation change over time? What is the message that the sensation is meant to convey, and from whom does it originate? Does the meaning of the sensation change as the sensation itself becomes more painful and intense? What effect does this sensation have on Jesus's life? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The angel with the green wings is the last one to tempt Jesus and shows him what he could have had if he had not chosen to follow the path God laid out for him. What effect does the angel's interference have on Jesus? How does it change Jesus's attitude toward the events of his life and his crucifixion? Who sent the angel? Why? What is its purpose? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)