|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the angel demand of Matthew?
2. In Chapter 21, what happens to Jesus's mother as a result of her wailing?
3. What does Jesus cry out, as he faints, at the end of Chapter 29?
4. Who washes Jesus's feet with perfume?
5. What does Jesus request of Judas before entering Pilate's palace?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Judas see in Jesus's hand that makes him want to follow Jesus?
2. What happens when Jesus and his disciples go to Magdala in Chapter 22?
3. What happens when Jesus meets John the Baptist?
4. What visions does Jesus see while he is in the desert?
5. Why does Simeon come to see Jesus in Capernaum?
6. What do Jesus and Zebedee discuss when Jesus and his disciples return to Capernaum?
7. What does the angel who visits Matthew in Capernaum demand of him?
8. What is the position of Lazarus at the end of Chapter 25?
9. What happens to Jesus and his disciples in the temple of Jerusalem?
10. How does Jesus change the significance of the paschal meal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jesus begins feeling the sensation of an invisible vulture digging its claws into his skull when he is 12 years old. How does this sensation change over time? What is the message that the sensation is meant to convey, and from whom does it originate? Does the meaning of the sensation change as the sensation itself becomes more painful and intense? What effect does this sensation have on Jesus's life? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Matthew writes one account of Jesus's genealogy, but he is forced by an angel to change what he has written, so that it is in accordance with prophecy. How does Matthew feel about doing so? Why? How does Jesus feel when he reads it? Why? Why does the angel force Matthew to lie? What is Kazantzakis trying to say about his views on scripture? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The Curse follows Jesus throughout the course of the novel. How is the Curse described? Why is it following Jesus? What is its purpose? What is the significance of its armored, animalistic appearance? Why is the Curse later referred to as a mother figure? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)