|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Jesus first feel the clawing sensation?
2. What is the subject of the parable Jesus tells the poor on the hill in Capernaum?
3. Why is Abbot Joachim starving himself to death?
4. Why do the poor look to Jesus in Capernaum?
5. What does the rabbi ask Jesus in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jesus meet Zebedee?
2. Why does Judas Iscariot visit Jesus at the beginning of the novel?
3. Where does Jesus go in Chapter 6?
4. How is Jesus described in Chapter 1?
5. What do Mary and Simeon talk about when he visits her in Chapter 5?
6. How does Jesus's mother feel when she sees Jesus carrying the cross at the beginning of the novel?
7. At the beginning of the novel, how does Jesus feel about God's demands that he preach the Kingdom of Heaven?
8. What occurs between Judas, Zebedee, and Philip when they meet in Capernaum during the storm?
9. What happens between Jesus and Mary Magdalene at sunset, on Jesus's first night in Magdala?
10. What unpleasant sensation does Jesus often experience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Matthew writes one account of Jesus's genealogy, but he is forced by an angel to change what he has written, so that it is in accordance with prophecy. How does Matthew feel about doing so? Why? How does Jesus feel when he reads it? Why? Why does the angel force Matthew to lie? What is Kazantzakis trying to say about his views on scripture? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Mary is hailed as the blessed mother of the Son of God, but in "The Last Temptation of Christ," she often feels far from blessed. What does Mary want for her only son? Why is she always upset about the situation Jesus is in? How does she feel about God's involvement in her and her son's life? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Kazantzakis portrays Jesus as a human being who experiences temptations, sin, and vice, and who is not always welcoming of God's will. How is this portrayal of Jesus different from the way he is depicted in scripture and other religious writings? Why do you think Kazantzakis chose to portray Jesus this way? What can we infer about Kazantzakis's opinion of the accuracy of scripture? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)