|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Simeon tell Jesus's mother, in regard to her son?
2. Why does Jesus think Magdalene prostitutes herself?
3. What is Mary doing when Simeon visits?
4. What is Jesus's defense to save himself from God hunting him?
5. What does Jesus tell Simeon when he arrives home and finds Simeon there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Zealot do immediately before and during his crucifixion?
2. Why doesn't Jesus propose to Mary Magdalene?
3. At the beginning of the novel, how does Jesus feel about God's demands that he preach the Kingdom of Heaven?
4. How is Jesus described in Chapter 1?
5. What is the Curse?
6. How does Jesus meet Zebedee?
7. What does Jesus wonder about his dreams?
8. What do Mary and Simeon talk about when he visits her in Chapter 5?
9. What does Jesus do to defend Mary Magdalene in Capernaum?
10. What occurs between Judas, Zebedee, and Philip when they meet in Capernaum during the storm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary Magdalene is an important character in "The Last Temptation of Christ." Why is her character so prominent, when she is merely a peripheral character in scripture? How is her relationship with Jesus in the novel different from their relationship in scripture? Why? How does her prominence, as a character, reflect on the events of Jesus's life? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Jesus is tormented by dreams and visions. God and Satan are constantly battling for Jesus's allegiance. What tricks does the Devil employ to try and gain Jesus's loyalty? How is Jesus able to tell the difference between the Devil's tricks and God's messengers? Are there situations in which he is confused about whether it is God or the Devil communicating with him? If so, what are they? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Jesus prevents an angry mob from stoning Mary Magdalene. Why did the mob want to stone her? What crime did she commit? What logic does Jesus use to stop the mob from stoning her? Why does he save her? What effect does his saving her have on their relationship,? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)