|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mary want Simeon to explain to her when he visits?
2. Why is Jesus's mother embarrassed when the cross is hoisted for the first execution in the novel?
3. What does the crowd do to taunt Jesus in Chapter 1?
4. What does Simeon reveal to reassure the people?
5. While all the men are in Zebedee's yard, what is Salome overjoyed about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does a bird tell Jesus about Heaven and Hell?
2. What do Jesus's disciples do after Jesus is captured by the mob at Gethsemane?
3. What does Matthew do while Jesus and the other disciples sleep?
4. What is the position of Lazarus at the end of Chapter 25?
5. What does Jesus say to comfort the poor in Capernaum, who look to him for guidance?
6. How does the novel end?
7. What does Jesus wonder about his dreams?
8. Why is Jesus happy when he realizes he is still on the cross in Chapter 33?
9. What transpires between Jesus and Ananias?
10. What does Jesus ask of Judas before he sees Pilate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Jesus wakes up on the cross, realizing that he is not a coward or traitor, he shouts "IT IS ACCOMPLISHED!" However, Kazantzakis comments that he could have instead shouted, "Everything has begun." What is the significance of this statement? What does Kazantzakis mean by this? What is Jesus's legacy? How did he change the world? What, specifically, began with his crucifixion, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Jesus performs many miracles, but at times, he performs them incorrectly, or incompletely, as is the case with Lazarus. Why is he sometimes unable to perform miracles successfully? What is different about these attempted miracles that makes them turn out differently from the ones that are successful? Why? What might Jesus have done differently? How does he feel about these incomplete miracles? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The Curse follows Jesus throughout the course of the novel. How is the Curse described? Why is it following Jesus? What is its purpose? What is the significance of its armored, animalistic appearance? Why is the Curse later referred to as a mother figure? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 2,254 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)