|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jesus tell Simeon when he arrives home and finds Simeon there?
2. Why does Judas waver in his intent to kill Jesus in the monastery?
3. Who keeps Philip from murdering Jesus?
4. Jesus realizes that the central figure in all of his dreams is __________.
5. Who visits Jesus in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Philip and Judas talk about after Judas leaves Capernaum?
2. How is Jesus described in Chapter 1?
3. What happens between Jesus and Mary Magdalene at sunset, on Jesus's first night in Magdala?
4. What does Jesus do to defend Mary Magdalene in Capernaum?
5. What do Mary and Simeon talk about when he visits her in Chapter 5?
6. At the beginning of the novel, how does Jesus feel about God's demands that he preach the Kingdom of Heaven?
7. Why does the mob chase Mary Magdalene to Capernaum?
8. Why is Abbot Joachim dying?
9. What does Jesus say to comfort the poor in Capernaum, who look to him for guidance?
10. What does the Zealot do immediately before and during his crucifixion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jesus praises Nathaniel for giving an answer that goes contrary to the law because the law goes contrary to Jesus's heart. What does Jesus feel is wrong with the existing laws? How does he propose fixing them? What, specifically, does he disagree with? Why? Is there a difference between something that is legal and something that is just? If so, what is it? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Jesus begins feeling the sensation of an invisible vulture digging its claws into his skull when he is 12 years old. How does this sensation change over time? What is the message that the sensation is meant to convey, and from whom does it originate? Does the meaning of the sensation change as the sensation itself becomes more painful and intense? What effect does this sensation have on Jesus's life? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Judas spends most of his time struggling with whether or not to kill Jesus. Why does he want to do so? What drives him to the point of feeling that he needs to take such drastic measures? Why is he unable to carry out his plan every time he has an opportunity? What does this say about his level of commitment to his plan? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 939 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)