|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is "The Curse"?
2. What does Andrew call Jesus?
3. Why does Jesus get trapped in Magdala?
4. How does Simeon respond when Jesus tells him about his dreams?
5. What is the rabbi's usual cry to God?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Jesus and his disciples hiding in Simon's inn?
2. How does the novel end?
3. What happens to Mary Magdalene in Chapter 30?
4. What happens between Jesus and Mary Magdalene at sunset, on Jesus's first night in Magdala?
5. What does Jesus ask of Judas before he sees Pilate?
6. What do Philip and Judas talk about after Judas leaves Capernaum?
7. Why does Simeon come to see Jesus in Capernaum?
8. Who does Jesus see when he returns to consciousness in Chapter 30?
9. What does Judas see in Jesus's hand that makes him want to follow Jesus?
10. How is Jesus described in Chapter 1?
Essay Topic 1
Mary is hailed as the blessed mother of the Son of God, but in "The Last Temptation of Christ," she often feels far from blessed. What does Mary want for her only son? Why is she always upset about the situation Jesus is in? How does she feel about God's involvement in her and her son's life? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The Israelites are being oppressed by the Romans, and some people resent Jesus's willingness to help those on both sides of the struggle. Why is he so willing to help his enemies? How do they repay him? How do they react when he helps them, or attempts to? What effect does his willingness to help his enemies have on his reputation? What does it say about his character? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Jesus's disciples follow him, but with varying degrees of devotion, and all are cowardly when the time comes for Jesus's execution. Why do some of the disciples choose to follow Jesus, despite all of their doubts? Why does their courage fail them when Jesus is being executed? Why does Simon still stand by Jesus when the others won't and condemn them for their timidity? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 2,224 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)