|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jesus's visitor try to persuade him to do in Chapter 1?
2. What does Simeon say to the men who move to block Jesus's path, as he carries the cross he built?
3. What is Mary doing when Simeon visits?
4. Who visits Jesus in Chapter 1?
5. What does the rabbi tell Jesus, in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Judas Iscariot visit Jesus at the beginning of the novel?
2. What does Jesus do to defend Mary Magdalene in Capernaum?
3. Why is Abbot Joachim dying?
4. What does Simeon advise Jesus to do, in Chapter 10, and how does Jesus respond?
5. What happens between Jesus and Mary Magdalene at sunset, on Jesus's first night in Magdala?
6. What occurs between Judas, Zebedee, and Philip when they meet in Capernaum during the storm?
7. What does Jesus wonder about his dreams?
8. How does Jesus's mother feel when she sees Jesus carrying the cross at the beginning of the novel?
9. What does Jesus tells Simeon at the end of Chapter 10?
10. What does Jesus say to comfort the poor in Capernaum, who look to him for guidance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jesus performs many miracles, but at times, he performs them incorrectly, or incompletely, as is the case with Lazarus. Why is he sometimes unable to perform miracles successfully? What is different about these attempted miracles that makes them turn out differently from the ones that are successful? Why? What might Jesus have done differently? How does he feel about these incomplete miracles? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The Curse follows Jesus throughout the course of the novel. How is the Curse described? Why is it following Jesus? What is its purpose? What is the significance of its armored, animalistic appearance? Why is the Curse later referred to as a mother figure? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The angel with the green wings is the last one to tempt Jesus and shows him what he could have had if he had not chosen to follow the path God laid out for him. What effect does the angel's interference have on Jesus? How does it change Jesus's attitude toward the events of his life and his crucifixion? Who sent the angel? Why? What is its purpose? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)