|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jesus realizes that the central figure in all of his dreams is __________.
2. Who takes over carrying the cross that Jesus built, when Jesus becomes tired?
3. What is Mary doing when Simeon visits?
4. What does Andrew lecture Zebedee and the other men about?
5. After watching Jesus carry the cross he built, to whom does Simeon compare Jesus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unpleasant sensation does Jesus often experience?
2. How does Jesus's mother feel when she sees Jesus carrying the cross at the beginning of the novel?
3. What does the Zealot do immediately before and during his crucifixion?
4. What do Philip and Judas talk about after Judas leaves Capernaum?
5. Why is Abbot Joachim dying?
6. What occurs between Judas, Zebedee, and Philip when they meet in Capernaum during the storm?
7. What does Simeon advise Jesus to do, in Chapter 10, and how does Jesus respond?
8. What does Jesus do to defend Mary Magdalene in Capernaum?
9. What does Jesus wonder about his dreams?
10. What are Jesus's beliefs regarding the Messiah at the beginning of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jesus performs many miracles, but at times, he performs them incorrectly, or incompletely, as is the case with Lazarus. Why is he sometimes unable to perform miracles successfully? What is different about these attempted miracles that makes them turn out differently from the ones that are successful? Why? What might Jesus have done differently? How does he feel about these incomplete miracles? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The Curse follows Jesus throughout the course of the novel. How is the Curse described? Why is it following Jesus? What is its purpose? What is the significance of its armored, animalistic appearance? Why is the Curse later referred to as a mother figure? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Jesus prevents an angry mob from stoning Mary Magdalene. Why did the mob want to stone her? What crime did she commit? What logic does Jesus use to stop the mob from stoning her? Why does he save her? What effect does his saving her have on their relationship,? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)