|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is "The Curse"?
2. What does Andrew call Jesus?
3. Why does Jesus get trapped in Magdala?
4. How does Simeon respond when Jesus tells him about his dreams?
5. What is the rabbi's usual cry to God?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are Jesus and his disciples hiding in Simon's inn?
2. How does the novel end?
3. What happens to Mary Magdalene in Chapter 30?
4. What happens between Jesus and Mary Magdalene at sunset, on Jesus's first night in Magdala?
5. What does Jesus ask of Judas before he sees Pilate?
6. What do Philip and Judas talk about after Judas leaves Capernaum?
7. Why does Simeon come to see Jesus in Capernaum?
8. Who does Jesus see when he returns to consciousness in Chapter 30?
9. What does Judas see in Jesus's hand that makes him want to follow Jesus?
10. How is Jesus described in Chapter 1?
Essay Topic 1
Mary Magdalene is an important character in "The Last Temptation of Christ." Why is her character so prominent, when she is merely a peripheral character in scripture? How is her relationship with Jesus in the novel different from their relationship in scripture? Why? How does her prominence, as a character, reflect on the events of Jesus's life? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Jesus is tormented by dreams and visions. God and Satan are constantly battling for Jesus's allegiance. What tricks does the Devil employ to try and gain Jesus's loyalty? How is Jesus able to tell the difference between the Devil's tricks and God's messengers? Are there situations in which he is confused about whether it is God or the Devil communicating with him? If so, what are they? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Jesus goes into the desert in an attempt to communicate directly with God. Abbot Joachim starves himself in a similar attempt. Who else performs extreme actions to gain the attention of God? Why do they find it necessary to go to such extreme measures to communicate with God? How effective are these methods? What is the final result of their attempts? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 2,224 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)