|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who visits Jesus in Chapter 1?
2. Why does Simeon rebuke Jesus after the Abbot's funeral?
3. What does Simeon reveal to reassure the people?
4. What does Jesus's mother recall as he passes her, carrying the cross that he built?
5. What is the rabbi's usual cry to God?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jesus wonder about his dreams?
2. What is the Curse?
3. Why is Abbot Joachim dying?
4. Why does the mob chase Mary Magdalene to Capernaum?
5. What does the Zealot do immediately before and during his crucifixion?
6. What are Jesus's beliefs regarding the Messiah at the beginning of the novel?
7. Why does Judas Iscariot visit Jesus at the beginning of the novel?
8. What does Jesus tells Simeon at the end of Chapter 10?
9. At the beginning of the novel, how does Jesus feel about God's demands that he preach the Kingdom of Heaven?
10. What does Jesus say to comfort the poor in Capernaum, who look to him for guidance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The angel with the green wings is the last one to tempt Jesus and shows him what he could have had if he had not chosen to follow the path God laid out for him. What effect does the angel's interference have on Jesus? How does it change Jesus's attitude toward the events of his life and his crucifixion? Who sent the angel? Why? What is its purpose? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Kazantzakis portrays Jesus as a man who is in a constant battle with God and wants to go against God's will. How is this depiction of Jesus different from the commonly-accepted Biblical account of Jesus? Why does Jesus constantly try to force God to leave him alone? What would happen to him without God's intervening in his life? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
The Curse follows Jesus throughout the course of the novel. How is the Curse described? Why is it following Jesus? What is its purpose? What is the significance of its armored, animalistic appearance? Why is the Curse later referred to as a mother figure? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)