|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the rich man who wants Jesus to perform sorcery to rid him of nightmares?
2. How does Simeon respond when Jesus tells him about his dreams?
3. How does Jesus's mother look at him when he struggles and falls under the weight of the cross he built?
4. What does Jesus tell Simeon when he arrives home and finds Simeon there?
5. Why does Jesus commit sins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subject of Joachim's last speech to the monks?
2. What do Philip and Judas talk about after Judas leaves Capernaum?
3. Where does Jesus go in Chapter 6?
4. In Chapter 11, what does Simeon say to Jesus about the possibility of Jesus being the Messiah?
5. What does the Zealot do immediately before and during his crucifixion?
6. What does Jesus tells Simeon at the end of Chapter 10?
7. What does Simeon advise Jesus to do, in Chapter 10, and how does Jesus respond?
8. What unpleasant sensation does Jesus often experience?
9. What is the significance of the snakes, according to Jeroboam, Simeon, and Jesus?
10. What is the Curse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Israelites are being oppressed by the Romans, and some people resent Jesus's willingness to help those on both sides of the struggle. Why is he so willing to help his enemies? How do they repay him? How do they react when he helps them, or attempts to? What effect does his willingness to help his enemies have on his reputation? What does it say about his character? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Paul tells Jesus that obstinacy, longing, and faith create truth. The world needs consolation, factual or not. How does Jesus react to these statements? How true are they? What historical examples serve to prove Paul's point? What is Kazantzakis trying to say about faith, religion, and truth? How does Paul's version of truth relate to the kind that Jesus is trying to spread? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Jesus is tormented by dreams and visions. God and Satan are constantly battling for Jesus's allegiance. What tricks does the Devil employ to try and gain Jesus's loyalty? How is Jesus able to tell the difference between the Devil's tricks and God's messengers? Are there situations in which he is confused about whether it is God or the Devil communicating with him? If so, what are they? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)