|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the rabbi ask Jesus in Chapter 11?
2. Why is John sent to Nazareth?
3. Who is the rich man who wants Jesus to perform sorcery to rid him of nightmares?
4. Why does the old woman feed Jesus?
5. Jesus realizes that the central figure in all of his dreams is __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Abbot Joachim dying?
2. Why does Judas decide not to kill Jesus at the monastery?
3. What transpires between Jesus and Ananias?
4. What is the subject of Joachim's last speech to the monks?
5. What does Jesus tells Simeon at the end of Chapter 10?
6. What does the Zealot do immediately before and during his crucifixion?
7. What is the Curse?
8. Why does Judas Iscariot visit Jesus at the beginning of the novel?
9. How does Jesus meet Zebedee?
10. Where does Jesus go in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Judas spends most of his time struggling with whether or not to kill Jesus. Why does he want to do so? What drives him to the point of feeling that he needs to take such drastic measures? Why is he unable to carry out his plan every time he has an opportunity? What does this say about his level of commitment to his plan? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Jesus is tormented by dreams and visions. God and Satan are constantly battling for Jesus's allegiance. What tricks does the Devil employ to try and gain Jesus's loyalty? How is Jesus able to tell the difference between the Devil's tricks and God's messengers? Are there situations in which he is confused about whether it is God or the Devil communicating with him? If so, what are they? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Matthew writes one account of Jesus's genealogy, but he is forced by an angel to change what he has written, so that it is in accordance with prophecy. How does Matthew feel about doing so? Why? How does Jesus feel when he reads it? Why? Why does the angel force Matthew to lie? What is Kazantzakis trying to say about his views on scripture? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)