|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ants, the lizard and the butterflies convince Jesus of what?
2. Why does Jesus get trapped in Magdala?
3. How does Mary Magdalene feel about God?
4. How does Jesus feel about these dreams?
5. When did Jesus first feel the clawing sensation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Jesus propose to Mary Magdalene?
2. What is the subject of Joachim's last speech to the monks?
3. What does the Zealot do immediately before and during his crucifixion?
4. How does Jesus meet Zebedee?
5. Why does Judas decide not to kill Jesus at the monastery?
6. What unpleasant sensation does Jesus often experience?
7. What does Jesus tells Simeon at the end of Chapter 10?
8. What happens between Jesus and Mary Magdalene at sunset, on Jesus's first night in Magdala?
9. What do Jesus and Nathaniel talk about at the wedding of Nathaniel's nephew?
10. What occurs between Judas, Zebedee, and Philip when they meet in Capernaum during the storm?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Jesus wakes up on the cross, realizing that he is not a coward or traitor, he shouts "IT IS ACCOMPLISHED!" However, Kazantzakis comments that he could have instead shouted, "Everything has begun." What is the significance of this statement? What does Kazantzakis mean by this? What is Jesus's legacy? How did he change the world? What, specifically, began with his crucifixion, and why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Jesus goes into the desert in an attempt to communicate directly with God. Abbot Joachim starves himself in a similar attempt. Who else performs extreme actions to gain the attention of God? Why do they find it necessary to go to such extreme measures to communicate with God? How effective are these methods? What is the final result of their attempts? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Mary Magdalene is an important character in "The Last Temptation of Christ." Why is her character so prominent, when she is merely a peripheral character in scripture? How is her relationship with Jesus in the novel different from their relationship in scripture? Why? How does her prominence, as a character, reflect on the events of Jesus's life? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)