|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Simeon say to the men who move to block Jesus's path, as he carries the cross he built?
2. What does Mary Magdalene dare Jesus to admit?
3. Why does Jesus leave home in Chapter 6?
4. Why is Jesus's mother embarrassed when the cross is hoisted for the first execution in the novel?
5. What are the men doing in Zebedee's yard at the beginning of autumn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Simeon advise Jesus to do, in Chapter 10, and how does Jesus respond?
2. Why does the mob chase Mary Magdalene to Capernaum?
3. What do Philip and Judas talk about after Judas leaves Capernaum?
4. At the beginning of the novel, how does Jesus feel about God's demands that he preach the Kingdom of Heaven?
5. What is the subject of Joachim's last speech to the monks?
6. What is the significance of the snakes, according to Jeroboam, Simeon, and Jesus?
7. Where does Jesus go in Chapter 6?
8. What occurs between Judas, Zebedee, and Philip when they meet in Capernaum during the storm?
9. How does Jesus's mother feel when she sees Jesus carrying the cross at the beginning of the novel?
10. What does Jesus tells Simeon at the end of Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jesus goes into the desert in an attempt to communicate directly with God. Abbot Joachim starves himself in a similar attempt. Who else performs extreme actions to gain the attention of God? Why do they find it necessary to go to such extreme measures to communicate with God? How effective are these methods? What is the final result of their attempts? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Jesus performs many miracles, but at times, he performs them incorrectly, or incompletely, as is the case with Lazarus. Why is he sometimes unable to perform miracles successfully? What is different about these attempted miracles that makes them turn out differently from the ones that are successful? Why? What might Jesus have done differently? How does he feel about these incomplete miracles? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Jesus praises Nathaniel for giving an answer that goes contrary to the law because the law goes contrary to Jesus's heart. What does Jesus feel is wrong with the existing laws? How does he propose fixing them? What, specifically, does he disagree with? Why? Is there a difference between something that is legal and something that is just? If so, what is it? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)