|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jesus's response when Judas reveals his intent to kill him?
2. What is Abbot Joachim's response when he meets Jesus?
3. What is Mary doing when Simeon visits?
4. What does Simeon say to the men who move to block Jesus's path, as he carries the cross he built?
5. Where do the ten fishermen work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jesus meet Zebedee?
2. What occurs between Judas, Zebedee, and Philip when they meet in Capernaum during the storm?
3. What do Jesus and Nathaniel talk about at the wedding of Nathaniel's nephew?
4. What does Jesus do to defend Mary Magdalene in Capernaum?
5. Why does Judas Iscariot visit Jesus at the beginning of the novel?
6. How is Jesus described in Chapter 1?
7. What do Mary and Simeon talk about when he visits her in Chapter 5?
8. What unpleasant sensation does Jesus often experience?
9. What does Jesus say to comfort the poor in Capernaum, who look to him for guidance?
10. Why is Abbot Joachim dying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jesus is tormented by dreams and visions. God and Satan are constantly battling for Jesus's allegiance. What tricks does the Devil employ to try and gain Jesus's loyalty? How is Jesus able to tell the difference between the Devil's tricks and God's messengers? Are there situations in which he is confused about whether it is God or the Devil communicating with him? If so, what are they? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Jerusalem has become a filthy place full of corruption and squalor; even those who make pilgrimages there are soon corrupted by it. What happened to the city of Jerusalem, which allowed it to fall into such disrepair? What is Jesus supposed to do to restore Jerusalem to its former glory? How is he supposed to take his place on the throne of Jerusalem? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Jesus prevents an angry mob from stoning Mary Magdalene. Why did the mob want to stone her? What crime did she commit? What logic does Jesus use to stop the mob from stoning her? Why does he save her? What effect does his saving her have on their relationship,? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)