|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Philip want to murder Jesus?
2. How does Jesus's mother look at him when he struggles and falls under the weight of the cross he built?
3. Who takes over carrying the cross that Jesus built, when Jesus becomes tired?
4. What does Simeon tell Jesus's mother, in regard to her son?
5. What do the monks want Jesus to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unpleasant sensation does Jesus often experience?
2. What is the significance of the snakes, according to Jeroboam, Simeon, and Jesus?
3. Why does Judas Iscariot visit Jesus at the beginning of the novel?
4. How does Jesus meet Zebedee?
5. Why does Judas decide not to kill Jesus at the monastery?
6. What are Jesus's beliefs regarding the Messiah at the beginning of the novel?
7. Where does Jesus go in Chapter 6?
8. Why is Abbot Joachim dying?
9. What transpires between Jesus and Ananias?
10. Why does the mob chase Mary Magdalene to Capernaum?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paul tells Jesus that obstinacy, longing, and faith create truth. The world needs consolation, factual or not. How does Jesus react to these statements? How true are they? What historical examples serve to prove Paul's point? What is Kazantzakis trying to say about faith, religion, and truth? How does Paul's version of truth relate to the kind that Jesus is trying to spread? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Jesus is tormented by dreams and visions. God and Satan are constantly battling for Jesus's allegiance. What tricks does the Devil employ to try and gain Jesus's loyalty? How is Jesus able to tell the difference between the Devil's tricks and God's messengers? Are there situations in which he is confused about whether it is God or the Devil communicating with him? If so, what are they? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Jesus prevents an angry mob from stoning Mary Magdalene. Why did the mob want to stone her? What crime did she commit? What logic does Jesus use to stop the mob from stoning her? Why does he save her? What effect does his saving her have on their relationship,? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)