|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After hearing what Jesus says to Simeon, what does Jesus's mother do?
2. What does Jesus's visitor try to persuade him to do in Chapter 1?
3. Why does the old woman feed Jesus?
4. What does Jesus say to the mob that wants to stone Mary Magdalene?
5. Who shelters Mary Magdalene in Capernaum?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Jesus propose to Mary Magdalene?
2. How does Jesus meet Zebedee?
3. What are Jesus's beliefs regarding the Messiah at the beginning of the novel?
4. What happens between Jesus and Mary Magdalene at sunset, on Jesus's first night in Magdala?
5. What does Jesus wonder about his dreams?
6. What is the significance of the snakes, according to Jeroboam, Simeon, and Jesus?
7. What does Jesus do to defend Mary Magdalene in Capernaum?
8. Where does Jesus go in Chapter 6?
9. How does Jesus's mother feel when she sees Jesus carrying the cross at the beginning of the novel?
10. What do Philip and Judas talk about after Judas leaves Capernaum?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jesus praises Nathaniel for giving an answer that goes contrary to the law because the law goes contrary to Jesus's heart. What does Jesus feel is wrong with the existing laws? How does he propose fixing them? What, specifically, does he disagree with? Why? Is there a difference between something that is legal and something that is just? If so, what is it? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Jesus performs many miracles, but at times, he performs them incorrectly, or incompletely, as is the case with Lazarus. Why is he sometimes unable to perform miracles successfully? What is different about these attempted miracles that makes them turn out differently from the ones that are successful? Why? What might Jesus have done differently? How does he feel about these incomplete miracles? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Jerusalem has become a filthy place full of corruption and squalor; even those who make pilgrimages there are soon corrupted by it. What happened to the city of Jerusalem, which allowed it to fall into such disrepair? What is Jesus supposed to do to restore Jerusalem to its former glory? How is he supposed to take his place on the throne of Jerusalem? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)