|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While all the men are in Zebedee's yard, what is Salome overjoyed about?
2. Why does Jesus commit sins?
3. What do the monks want Jesus to do?
4. Why does Jesus think Magdalene prostitutes herself?
5. What is Jesus unable to vanquish?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Jesus and Mary Magdalene at sunset, on Jesus's first night in Magdala?
2. In Chapter 11, what does Simeon say to Jesus about the possibility of Jesus being the Messiah?
3. What is the subject of Joachim's last speech to the monks?
4. What do Jesus and Nathaniel talk about at the wedding of Nathaniel's nephew?
5. Where does Jesus go in Chapter 6?
6. What does the Zealot do immediately before and during his crucifixion?
7. What do Mary and Simeon talk about when he visits her in Chapter 5?
8. How is Jesus described in Chapter 1?
9. What is the Curse?
10. What does Jesus say to comfort the poor in Capernaum, who look to him for guidance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jesus begins feeling the sensation of an invisible vulture digging its claws into his skull when he is 12 years old. How does this sensation change over time? What is the message that the sensation is meant to convey, and from whom does it originate? Does the meaning of the sensation change as the sensation itself becomes more painful and intense? What effect does this sensation have on Jesus's life? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Jesus praises Nathaniel for giving an answer that goes contrary to the law because the law goes contrary to Jesus's heart. What does Jesus feel is wrong with the existing laws? How does he propose fixing them? What, specifically, does he disagree with? Why? Is there a difference between something that is legal and something that is just? If so, what is it? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Jesus's disciples follow him, but with varying degrees of devotion, and all are cowardly when the time comes for Jesus's execution. Why do some of the disciples choose to follow Jesus, despite all of their doubts? Why does their courage fail them when Jesus is being executed? Why does Simon still stand by Jesus when the others won't and condemn them for their timidity? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)