|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is John sent to Nazareth?
2. What is Jesus unable to vanquish?
3. Why does Jacob resist when Barabbas drags Mary Magdalene out?
4. Jesus realizes that the central figure in all of his dreams is __________.
5. What does Simeon say to the men who move to block Jesus's path, as he carries the cross he built?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Zealot do immediately before and during his crucifixion?
2. In Chapter 11, what does Simeon say to Jesus about the possibility of Jesus being the Messiah?
3. Why does Judas decide not to kill Jesus at the monastery?
4. Why is Abbot Joachim dying?
5. What is the significance of the snakes, according to Jeroboam, Simeon, and Jesus?
6. What do Mary and Simeon talk about when he visits her in Chapter 5?
7. What does Jesus do to defend Mary Magdalene in Capernaum?
8. How is Jesus described in Chapter 1?
9. What do Jesus and Nathaniel talk about at the wedding of Nathaniel's nephew?
10. What transpires between Jesus and Ananias?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Judas spends most of his time struggling with whether or not to kill Jesus. Why does he want to do so? What drives him to the point of feeling that he needs to take such drastic measures? Why is he unable to carry out his plan every time he has an opportunity? What does this say about his level of commitment to his plan? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
Jesus begins feeling the sensation of an invisible vulture digging its claws into his skull when he is 12 years old. How does this sensation change over time? What is the message that the sensation is meant to convey, and from whom does it originate? Does the meaning of the sensation change as the sensation itself becomes more painful and intense? What effect does this sensation have on Jesus's life? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Jesus's disciples follow him, but with varying degrees of devotion, and all are cowardly when the time comes for Jesus's execution. Why do some of the disciples choose to follow Jesus, despite all of their doubts? Why does their courage fail them when Jesus is being executed? Why does Simon still stand by Jesus when the others won't and condemn them for their timidity? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)