|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jesus realizes that the central figure in all of his dreams is __________.
2. What does Mary Magdalene dare Jesus to admit?
3. Why does Jesus think Magdalene prostitutes herself?
4. What does Andrew call Jesus?
5. What does Mary want Simeon to explain to her when he visits?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Jesus and Nathaniel talk about at the wedding of Nathaniel's nephew?
2. What does Jesus say to Pilate, regarding Rome, the first time they meet?
3. What does the angel tell Jesus about Mary Magdalene after her death?
4. In Chapter 11, what does Simeon say to Jesus about the possibility of Jesus being the Messiah?
5. How does Jesus meet Zebedee?
6. What does the Zealot do immediately before and during his crucifixion?
7. What happens in the Garden of Gethsemane after the Passover meal?
8. Why does Judas decide not to kill Jesus at the monastery?
9. How do Annas, Caiaphas, and Pilate feel about Jesus after meeting him?
10. What is the subject of Joachim's last speech to the monks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kazantzakis portrays Jesus as a man who is in a constant battle with God and wants to go against God's will. How is this depiction of Jesus different from the commonly-accepted Biblical account of Jesus? Why does Jesus constantly try to force God to leave him alone? What would happen to him without God's intervening in his life? Why? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 2
The angel with the green wings is the last one to tempt Jesus and shows him what he could have had if he had not chosen to follow the path God laid out for him. What effect does the angel's interference have on Jesus? How does it change Jesus's attitude toward the events of his life and his crucifixion? Who sent the angel? Why? What is its purpose? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
Essay Topic 3
Matthew writes one account of Jesus's genealogy, but he is forced by an angel to change what he has written, so that it is in accordance with prophecy. How does Matthew feel about doing so? Why? How does Jesus feel when he reads it? Why? Why does the angel force Matthew to lie? What is Kazantzakis trying to say about his views on scripture? Be sure to cite specific examples from the text to support your thesis.
This section contains 2,252 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)