|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Simeon wonder about Jesus when they are at the monastery together?
(a) What signals Jesus receives from God.
(b) What hidden pain devours Jesus.
(c) When Jesus began thinking that he might be the Messiah.
(d) Why Jesus doesn't marry Mary Magdalene.
2. Why is John sent to Nazareth?
(a) To get Jesus to save Abbot Joachim.
(b) To obtain Jesus's blessing.
(c) To tell everyone that Abbot Joachim is dead.
(d) To get Simeon.
3. Why is Jesus's mother embarrassed when the cross is hoisted for the first execution in the novel?
(a) The cross Jesus made tilts.
(b) The crowd taunts Jesus for making the cross.
(c) The man who is to be executed spits on Jesus.
(d) Jesus is too weak to hoist the cross.
4. What does the crowd do to taunt Jesus in Chapter 1?
(a) They call his mother names.
(b) They call him a "cross-maker."
(c) They throw small stones at him.
(d) They call Mary Magdalene a "slut."
5. The ants, the lizard and the butterflies convince Jesus of what?
(a) All are God's creatures.
(b) He should propose to Mary Magdalene.
(c) He is the Messiah, and should begin acting that way.
(d) He cannot save everyone, and must choose wisely.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of invisible animal does Jesus feel sinking its claws into his skull?
2. What does Simeon reveal to reassure the people?
3. While all the men are in Zebedee's yard, what is Salome overjoyed about?
4. After watching Jesus carry the cross he built, to whom does Simeon compare Jesus?
5. Why does Philip want to murder Jesus?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Jesus described in Chapter 1?
2. What are Jesus's beliefs regarding the Messiah at the beginning of the novel?
3. Why does Judas decide not to kill Jesus at the monastery?
4. What is the subject of Joachim's last speech to the monks?
5. What does Jesus say to comfort the poor in Capernaum, who look to him for guidance?
6. What occurs between Judas, Zebedee, and Philip when they meet in Capernaum during the storm?
7. What is the significance of the snakes, according to Jeroboam, Simeon, and Jesus?
8. What happens between Jesus and Mary Magdalene at sunset, on Jesus's first night in Magdala?
9. What do Jesus and Nathaniel talk about at the wedding of Nathaniel's nephew?
10. In Chapter 11, what does Simeon say to Jesus about the possibility of Jesus being the Messiah?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)