|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mary doing when Simeon visits?
(a) Making soap.
(b) Tending to her animals.
(c) Cooking dinner.
(d) Spinning wool.
2. Why is John sent to Nazareth?
(a) To get Simeon.
(b) To get Jesus to save Abbot Joachim.
(c) To tell everyone that Abbot Joachim is dead.
(d) To obtain Jesus's blessing.
3. What is Abbot Joachim's last speech about?
(a) The imminent arrival of the Messiah.
(b) Reasons why the Israelites should rise up against the Romans.
(c) Freedom, slavery, and liberation.
(d) God's loving and forgiving nature.
4. What does Jesus do when he is slapped?
(a) Reminds the person of God's swift retribution.
(b) Offers his other cheek.
(c) Slaps the person back.
(d) Ignores the slap completely.
5. What does Nathaniel want Jesus to do for him in Magdala?
(a) Preach to his group of friends and relatives.
(b) Help him to smuggle Mary Magdalene out of Magdala.
(c) Bless his nephew's wedding.
(d) Convince Mary Magdalene to leave her life of sin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pronounces Abbot Joachim dead?
2. Why is Jesus's mother embarrassed when the cross is hoisted for the first execution in the novel?
3. Jesus angers Judas when he talks about what?
4. What does Jesus's mother recall as he passes her, carrying the cross that he built?
5. What does Andrew want Jesus to preach about in Capernaum?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Mary and Simeon talk about when he visits her in Chapter 5?
2. What does Jesus tells Simeon at the end of Chapter 10?
3. What is the subject of Joachim's last speech to the monks?
4. What does Jesus do to defend Mary Magdalene in Capernaum?
5. What is the significance of the snakes, according to Jeroboam, Simeon, and Jesus?
6. What happens between Jesus and Mary Magdalene at sunset, on Jesus's first night in Magdala?
7. Why does Judas decide not to kill Jesus at the monastery?
8. What are Jesus's beliefs regarding the Messiah at the beginning of the novel?
9. How does Jesus meet Zebedee?
10. What do Philip and Judas talk about after Judas leaves Capernaum?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)