|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who pronounces Abbot Joachim dead?
2. What does the rabbi tell Jesus, in Chapter 11?
(a) Pity must be put into action, through love and mercy.
(b) Love is only an idea, unless he who loves is also merciful.
(c) Pity is not enough; there must also be love.
(d) Pity and mercy can save humankind.
3. What do the monks want Jesus to do?
(a) To live in the desert monastery with them.
(b) To help them spread their message.
(c) To lead a revolt against the Romans.
(d) To become their Abbot.
4. Why does Judas waver in his intent to kill Jesus in the monastery?
(a) He feels the invisible claws dig into his own skull.
(b) He remembers happy times he and Jesus shared as children.
(c) He hears a noise, and thinks someone might be watching them.
(d) He sees the light intensify around Jesus's face.
5. What are the men doing in Zebedee's yard at the beginning of autumn?
(a) Building a boat.
(b) Cleaning fish and preparing them for market.
(c) Processing grapes into wine.
(d) Shaving the wool from his sheep.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who summons the monks to hear Abbot Joachim's last words?
2. What does Andrew want Jesus to preach about in Capernaum?
3. What does Jesus wonder about his dreams?
4. How does Simeon respond when Jesus tells him about his dreams?
5. Who is the first person to be executed in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What unpleasant sensation does Jesus often experience?
2. What are Jesus's beliefs regarding the Messiah at the beginning of the novel?
3. Why does the mob chase Mary Magdalene to Capernaum?
4. What is the Curse?
5. What does Jesus do to defend Mary Magdalene in Capernaum?
6. What do Philip and Judas talk about after Judas leaves Capernaum?
7. What is the significance of the snakes, according to Jeroboam, Simeon, and Jesus?
8. What does the Zealot do immediately before and during his crucifixion?
9. Why does Judas Iscariot visit Jesus at the beginning of the novel?
10. Why doesn't Jesus propose to Mary Magdalene?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)