|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jesus's visitor try to persuade him to do in Chapter 1?
(a) To propose to Mary Magdalene.
(b) To go to the desert monastery.
(c) To leave his mother's house for Jerusalem.
(d) To not provide a cross for that day's execution.
2. What does Simeon tell Jesus's mother, in regard to her son?
(a) He will have a very difficult life, because he is the Messiah.
(b) She must resign herself to the fact that Jesus will die young.
(c) He is unsure whether Jesus is suited to the role of being the Messiah.
(d) It is God that torments him, not a demon, so there can be no exorcism.
3. What does Jesus's quiet and elusive nature make Jacob suspect about him?
(a) He has something to hide.
(b) He is too timid to be the Messiah.
(c) He is a Roman spy.
(d) He is ashamed to be in Magdala.
4. What is Jesus unable to vanquish?
5. Jesus realizes that the central figure in all of his dreams is __________.
(a) Mary Magdalene.
(c) The Devil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jesus say to the mob that wants to stone Mary Magdalene?
2. What does Jesus tell Simeon he dreams of doing?
3. What happens to Jesus in his dreams?
4. Why is Jesus's mother embarrassed when the cross is hoisted for the first execution in the novel?
5. Simeon advises Jesus to do what, because it often drives out demons?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Jesus described in Chapter 1?
2. At the beginning of the novel, how does Jesus feel about God's demands that he preach the Kingdom of Heaven?
3. What does Jesus wonder about his dreams?
4. What happens between Jesus and Mary Magdalene at sunset, on Jesus's first night in Magdala?
5. Why doesn't Jesus propose to Mary Magdalene?
6. Why is Abbot Joachim dying?
7. What do Philip and Judas talk about after Judas leaves Capernaum?
8. What is the significance of the snakes, according to Jeroboam, Simeon, and Jesus?
9. What does Jesus tells Simeon at the end of Chapter 10?
10. What does Jesus say to comfort the poor in Capernaum, who look to him for guidance?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)