|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Simeon rebuke Jesus after the Abbot's funeral?
(a) Jesus is showing too much weakness.
(b) Jesus could have saved the Abbot.
(c) Jesus has no pity for his mother.
(d) Jesus is trying to defy God's will.
2. What do the monks want Jesus to do?
(a) To help them spread their message.
(b) To live in the desert monastery with them.
(c) To become their Abbot.
(d) To lead a revolt against the Romans.
3. Who is "The Curse"?
(a) An armor-clad woman with an eagle's head.
(b) An invisible vulture that claws at Jesus's head.
(c) A snake with a woman's head.
(d) Mary Magdalene.
4. Why does Jesus think Magdalene prostitutes herself?
(a) She wants to hurt Jesus for not marrying her.
(b) When they were three years old they played together naked.
(c) He wasn't able to marry and support her.
(d) She has no other skills with which to support herself.
5. Jesus angers Judas when he talks about what?
(a) Allowing himself to be crucified.
(b) Living in peace with the Romans.
(c) Pitying all of Creation.
(d) Being the Messiah.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Abbot Joachim's last speech about?
2. Why is Abbot Joachim starving himself to death?
3. Who is helping Barabbas, in Chapter 1?
4. Why does Judas waver in his intent to kill Jesus in the monastery?
5. Why is Mary Magdalene being chased, by a mob, to Capernaum?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the Zealot do immediately before and during his crucifixion?
2. At the beginning of the novel, how does Jesus feel about God's demands that he preach the Kingdom of Heaven?
3. What does Simeon advise Jesus to do, in Chapter 10, and how does Jesus respond?
4. What do Mary and Simeon talk about when he visits her in Chapter 5?
5. Why does the mob chase Mary Magdalene to Capernaum?
6. How does Jesus meet Zebedee?
7. What does Jesus wonder about his dreams?
8. What do Jesus and Nathaniel talk about at the wedding of Nathaniel's nephew?
9. Why does Judas decide not to kill Jesus at the monastery?
10. What is the subject of Joachim's last speech to the monks?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)