|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Jesus's visitor try to persuade him to do in Chapter 1?
(a) To go to the desert monastery.
(b) To leave his mother's house for Jerusalem.
(c) To propose to Mary Magdalene.
(d) To not provide a cross for that day's execution.
2. Why is John sent to Nazareth?
(a) To get Simeon.
(b) To get Jesus to save Abbot Joachim.
(c) To obtain Jesus's blessing.
(d) To tell everyone that Abbot Joachim is dead.
3. What does Jesus say to the mob that wants to stone Mary Magdalene?
(a) If they want to stone her, they will have to stone him as well.
(b) Working on the Sabbath is not a sin worthy of a stoning.
(c) They cannot stone her without first conducting a fair trial.
(d) Only one who is sinless may throw the first stone.
4. Why does Jesus leave home in Chapter 6?
(a) He thinks it will displease God.
(b) God gently tells him to do so.
(c) He wants to get away from God's persistent commands.
(d) He wants to make things easier for his mother and father.
5. What is Abbot Joachim's response when he meets Jesus?
(a) He is unconscious, and Jesus is unable to wake him.
(b) He looks hopeful, but is convinced by Jesus's conversation that he is not the Messiah.
(c) He screams "Adonai!" and faints.
(d) He looks blissful and says, "You've come."
6. Who visits Jesus in Chapter 1?
7. Why does Jesus think Magdalene prostitutes herself?
(a) She wants to hurt Jesus for not marrying her.
(b) He wasn't able to marry and support her.
(c) When they were three years old they played together naked.
(d) She has no other skills with which to support herself.
8. Where do the ten fishermen work?
9. What happens to Jesus in his dreams?
(a) He is sent to Hell.
(b) He is pursued as "The One."
(c) He rises to Heaven.
(d) He is crucified.
10. What do the monks want Jesus to do?
(a) To lead a revolt against the Romans.
(b) To become their Abbot.
(c) To help them spread their message.
(d) To live in the desert monastery with them.
11. In Chapter 6, Jesus leaves home to do what?
(a) Make a pilgrimage to Jerusalem.
(b) Face Barabbas in Golgotha.
(c) Enter a desert monastery.
(d) Visit Mary Magdalene.
12. Why does Philip want to murder Jesus?
(a) Philip despises Jesus's father.
(b) Philip does not believe that Jesus is the Messiah.
(c) Jesus is a cross-maker.
(d) Philip is in love with Mary Magdalene.
13. What do Judas and Zebedee clash over?
(a) How Zebedee treats his workers.
(b) The consequences of the storm.
(c) The price of fish.
(d) Greed and the Messiah.
14. What does the crowd do to taunt Jesus in Chapter 1?
(a) They call his mother names.
(b) They call him a "cross-maker."
(c) They throw small stones at him.
(d) They call Mary Magdalene a "slut."
15. Jacob sees Jesus in Magdala, and mentally compares him to whom?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Jesus's mother embarrassed when the cross is hoisted for the first execution in the novel?
2. What does Jesus do when he is slapped?
3. Why does Judas waver in his intent to kill Jesus in the monastery?
4. What does Andrew call Jesus?
5. What is Barabbas planning on doing in Chapter 1?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)