|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mary Magdalene dare Jesus to admit?
(a) He is afraid to leave his mother's house.
(b) He loves her.
(c) Fear drives him into the desert.
(d) He is not the Messiah.
2. Why is Jesus's mother embarrassed when the cross is hoisted for the first execution in the novel?
(a) The cross Jesus made tilts.
(b) Jesus is too weak to hoist the cross.
(c) The man who is to be executed spits on Jesus.
(d) The crowd taunts Jesus for making the cross.
3. After hearing what Jesus says to Simeon, what does Jesus's mother do?
(a) She collapses.
(b) She screams "Adonai!"
(c) She falls, weeping, into Joseph's arms.
(d) She slaps Jesus.
4. What is Jesus's defense to save himself from God hunting him?
(a) Committing every conceivable sin to make God detest him.
(b) Hiding himself in the monastery.
(c) Helping his disciples to see him as human.
(d) Doing what he can to keep the Romans out of Nazareth.
5. Who warns Jesus that Judas intends to kill him in Magdala?
6. Who is the first person to be executed in the novel?
(b) The Zealot.
(c) John the Baptist.
7. What does Simeon reveal to reassure the people?
(a) God has assured him that he will live to see the Messiah.
(b) Jerusalem will be restored to its former glory.
(c) The Israelites will be successful in their revolt against the Romans.
(d) Jesus is the Messiah.
8. What does Andrew want Jesus to preach about in Capernaum?
(a) God's commandment to love one another.
(b) The blessedness of the poor.
(c) Purifying fire.
(d) The Kingdom of God.
9. Who keeps Philip from murdering Jesus?
10. How does Jesus's mother look at him when he struggles and falls under the weight of the cross he built?
(a) With disappointment.
(b) With anger.
(c) With pity.
(d) With love.
11. What does Jesus's mother recall as he passes her, carrying the cross that he built?
(a) A message that was delivered to her by God.
(b) Happy memories of his childhood.
(c) The moment of his birth.
(d) The visitors that brought him gifts when he was young.
12. What does Jesus tell Simeon he dreams of doing?
(a) Becoming the Son of God and God himself.
(b) Leaving Nazareth and starting over somewhere that no one knows him.
(c) Marrying Mary Magdalene and having a normal life.
(d) Dying and ascending to Heaven.
13. What does Jesus wonder about his dreams?
(a) Whether it is God or the Devil who visits him.
(b) What he has to do to make them stop.
(c) Why he has them.
(d) Whether he is really the Chosen One.
14. What do Judas and Zebedee clash over?
(a) Greed and the Messiah.
(b) The price of fish.
(c) The consequences of the storm.
(d) How Zebedee treats his workers.
15. Who is "The Curse"?
(a) An invisible vulture that claws at Jesus's head.
(b) Mary Magdalene.
(c) An armor-clad woman with an eagle's head.
(d) A snake with a woman's head.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Judas waver in his intent to kill Jesus in the monastery?
2. What does the rabbi tell Jesus, in Chapter 11?
3. Why is John sent to Nazareth?
4. Why does Jesus leave home in Chapter 6?
5. What does Jesus do when he is slapped?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)