|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Simeon rebuke Jesus after the Abbot's funeral?
(a) Jesus is trying to defy God's will.
(b) Jesus could have saved the Abbot.
(c) Jesus has no pity for his mother.
(d) Jesus is showing too much weakness.
2. Who orders Barabbas to leave?
3. Who does Zebedee assign to bring Andrew home?
4. What does Jesus tell Simeon he dreams of doing?
(a) Becoming the Son of God and God himself.
(b) Leaving Nazareth and starting over somewhere that no one knows him.
(c) Dying and ascending to Heaven.
(d) Marrying Mary Magdalene and having a normal life.
5. What does Jesus's quiet and elusive nature make Jacob suspect about him?
(a) He is ashamed to be in Magdala.
(b) He is a Roman spy.
(c) He is too timid to be the Messiah.
(d) He has something to hide.
6. Why is Jesus's mother embarrassed when the cross is hoisted for the first execution in the novel?
(a) Jesus is too weak to hoist the cross.
(b) The crowd taunts Jesus for making the cross.
(c) The cross Jesus made tilts.
(d) The man who is to be executed spits on Jesus.
7. What does Jesus's visitor try to persuade him to do in Chapter 1?
(a) To not provide a cross for that day's execution.
(b) To leave his mother's house for Jerusalem.
(c) To propose to Mary Magdalene.
(d) To go to the desert monastery.
8. How does Simeon respond when Jesus tells him about his dreams?
(a) He scoffs at Jesus.
(b) He leaves, without saying anything else to Jesus.
(c) He agrees with Jesus.
(d) He looks at Jesus, shocked.
9. Where does Jesus think the animals have come from?
(a) The river.
(c) His imagination.
(d) His bowels.
10. How does Jesus feel about these dreams?
(a) He is resigned to them.
(b) He is tormented by them.
(c) He is happy about them.
(d) He is puzzled by them.
11. After watching Jesus carry the cross he built, to whom does Simeon compare Jesus?
12. What does Simeon say to the men who move to block Jesus's path, as he carries the cross he built?
(a) He encourages them.
(b) He tells them not to impede God's will.
(c) He threatens them.
(d) He says nothing.
13. What does Jesus do when he has an obscene dream after seeing Mary Magdalene?
(a) Leaves Magdala.
(b) Repents in prayer.
(c) Swears to never see her again.
(d) Scourges himself.
14. Who is the first person to be executed in the novel?
(b) The Zealot.
(d) John the Baptist.
15. When did Jesus first feel the clawing sensation?
(a) At 15.
(b) At 12.
(c) At 9.
(d) At 3.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mary Magdalene feel about God?
2. Why is Mary Magdalene being chased, by a mob, to Capernaum?
3. What does Nathaniel want Jesus to do for him in Magdala?
4. What does Simeon reveal to reassure the people?
5. Why is Philip afraid to take Judas's side in his argument with Zebedee?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)