|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Andrew want Jesus to preach about in Capernaum?
(a) The blessedness of the poor.
(b) Purifying fire.
(c) The Kingdom of God.
(d) God's commandment to love one another.
2. How does Mary Magdalene feel about God?
(a) She hates God because he has kept her from being happy with Jesus.
(b) She believes in God, but she does not practice a religion.
(c) She believes God exists, but does not believe in the same God Jesus does.
(d) She is an atheist.
3. What does Mary Magdalene dare Jesus to admit?
(a) He loves her.
(b) He is not the Messiah.
(c) Fear drives him into the desert.
(d) He is afraid to leave his mother's house.
4. The ants, the lizard and the butterflies convince Jesus of what?
(a) He is the Messiah, and should begin acting that way.
(b) He should propose to Mary Magdalene.
(c) He cannot save everyone, and must choose wisely.
(d) All are God's creatures.
5. Who keeps Philip from murdering Jesus?
6. While all the men are in Zebedee's yard, what is Salome overjoyed about?
(a) Judas is helping them.
(b) Jesus is coming to visit.
(c) John is home.
(d) The Romans are leaving Capernaum.
7. What is Abbot Joachim's response when he meets Jesus?
(a) He looks blissful and says, "You've come."
(b) He looks hopeful, but is convinced by Jesus's conversation that he is not the Messiah.
(c) He is unconscious, and Jesus is unable to wake him.
(d) He screams "Adonai!" and faints.
8. Simeon advises Jesus to do what, because it often drives out demons?
(a) Get baptized.
(b) Get married.
(c) Be exorcised.
(d) Make a pilgrimage.
9. What does Jesus tell Simeon when he arrives home and finds Simeon there?
(a) Jesus tells Simeon that he defies God's will for his mother's sake.
(b) Jesus tells Simeon to get out of his house.
(c) Jesus tells Simeon that he will resist God until he dies.
(d) Jesus tells Simeon that he is not the Messiah.
10. What does Simeon say to the men who move to block Jesus's path, as he carries the cross he built?
(a) He says nothing.
(b) He tells them not to impede God's will.
(c) He threatens them.
(d) He encourages them.
11. What does Jesus's visitor try to persuade him to do in Chapter 1?
(a) To not provide a cross for that day's execution.
(b) To leave his mother's house for Jerusalem.
(c) To propose to Mary Magdalene.
(d) To go to the desert monastery.
12. What does Simeon tell Jesus's mother, in regard to her son?
(a) She must resign herself to the fact that Jesus will die young.
(b) He is unsure whether Jesus is suited to the role of being the Messiah.
(c) It is God that torments him, not a demon, so there can be no exorcism.
(d) He will have a very difficult life, because he is the Messiah.
13. Jesus realizes that the central figure in all of his dreams is __________.
(a) The Devil.
(d) Mary Magdalene.
14. Why does Simeon rebuke Jesus after the Abbot's funeral?
(a) Jesus is trying to defy God's will.
(b) Jesus is showing too much weakness.
(c) Jesus has no pity for his mother.
(d) Jesus could have saved the Abbot.
15. What is the rabbi's usual cry to God?
(a) "My master!"
(b) "How long?"
(d) "What would you have me do?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Abbot Joachim's last speech about?
2. Why does Philip want to murder Jesus?
3. Jesus angers Judas when he talks about what?
4. Why does Jesus think Magdalene prostitutes herself?
5. What did the clawing sensation stop Jesus from doing when he was twenty years old?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)