|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Abbot Joachim starving himself to death?
(a) To bring Israel's grievances to the attention of God.
(b) To incite the Israelites to retaliate against the Romans.
(c) To provoke the Romans.
(d) To convince his followers to give up their material possessions.
2. Simeon advises Jesus to do what, because it often drives out demons?
(a) Be exorcised.
(b) Make a pilgrimage.
(c) Get baptized.
(d) Get married.
3. What does Simeon tell Jesus's mother, in regard to her son?
(a) It is God that torments him, not a demon, so there can be no exorcism.
(b) She must resign herself to the fact that Jesus will die young.
(c) He will have a very difficult life, because he is the Messiah.
(d) He is unsure whether Jesus is suited to the role of being the Messiah.
4. What does Andrew want Jesus to preach about in Capernaum?
(a) The blessedness of the poor.
(b) God's commandment to love one another.
(c) The Kingdom of God.
(d) Purifying fire.
5. Jacob sees Jesus in Magdala, and mentally compares him to whom?
6. What did the clawing sensation stop Jesus from doing when he was twenty years old?
(a) Turning his back on his disciples.
(b) Leaving his mother's house.
(c) Proposing to Mary Magdalene.
(d) Traveling to Golgotha.
7. Why does the old woman feed Jesus?
(a) She is embittered that the monastery took her son.
(b) She knows that there is something special about him.
(c) She knows that he is the Messiah.
(d) She is afraid of what he might do if she doesn't feed him.
8. Why does Judas waver in his intent to kill Jesus in the monastery?
(a) He feels the invisible claws dig into his own skull.
(b) He sees the light intensify around Jesus's face.
(c) He remembers happy times he and Jesus shared as children.
(d) He hears a noise, and thinks someone might be watching them.
9. Who takes over carrying the cross that Jesus built, when Jesus becomes tired?
10. What does Jesus do when he has an obscene dream after seeing Mary Magdalene?
(a) Repents in prayer.
(b) Leaves Magdala.
(c) Swears to never see her again.
(d) Scourges himself.
11. What does Jesus's visitor try to persuade him to do in Chapter 1?
(a) To not provide a cross for that day's execution.
(b) To go to the desert monastery.
(c) To leave his mother's house for Jerusalem.
(d) To propose to Mary Magdalene.
12. Why is Philip afraid to take Judas's side in his argument with Zebedee?
(a) Zebedee is his employer.
(b) He is afraid to associate himself with Judas and Jesus.
(c) He thinks that Judas is cursed.
(d) He doesn't trust Judas.
13. What does Simeon wonder about Jesus when they are at the monastery together?
(a) Why Jesus doesn't marry Mary Magdalene.
(b) When Jesus began thinking that he might be the Messiah.
(c) What hidden pain devours Jesus.
(d) What signals Jesus receives from God.
14. What does Jesus say to the mob that wants to stone Mary Magdalene?
(a) They cannot stone her without first conducting a fair trial.
(b) Working on the Sabbath is not a sin worthy of a stoning.
(c) Only one who is sinless may throw the first stone.
(d) If they want to stone her, they will have to stone him as well.
15. What does Andrew call Jesus?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of invisible animal does Jesus feel sinking its claws into his skull?
2. What does Jesus tell Simeon he dreams of doing?
3. Why is Jesus's mother embarrassed when the cross is hoisted for the first execution in the novel?
4. Who shelters Mary Magdalene in Capernaum?
5. How does Jesus feel about these dreams?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)