|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Simeon advises Jesus to do what, because it often drives out demons?
(a) Get baptized.
(b) Get married.
(c) Make a pilgrimage.
(d) Be exorcised.
2. Why is Abbot Joachim starving himself to death?
(a) To incite the Israelites to retaliate against the Romans.
(b) To convince his followers to give up their material possessions.
(c) To provoke the Romans.
(d) To bring Israel's grievances to the attention of God.
3. How does Mary Magdalene feel about God?
(a) She hates God because he has kept her from being happy with Jesus.
(b) She is an atheist.
(c) She believes in God, but she does not practice a religion.
(d) She believes God exists, but does not believe in the same God Jesus does.
4. Why is Jesus's mother embarrassed when the cross is hoisted for the first execution in the novel?
(a) The crowd taunts Jesus for making the cross.
(b) The man who is to be executed spits on Jesus.
(c) The cross Jesus made tilts.
(d) Jesus is too weak to hoist the cross.
5. What does the crowd do to taunt Jesus in Chapter 1?
(a) They call him a "cross-maker."
(b) They throw small stones at him.
(c) They call Mary Magdalene a "slut."
(d) They call his mother names.
6. Who is "The Curse"?
(a) An armor-clad woman with an eagle's head.
(b) A snake with a woman's head.
(c) An invisible vulture that claws at Jesus's head.
(d) Mary Magdalene.
7. What does Jesus's mother recall as he passes her, carrying the cross that he built?
(a) Happy memories of his childhood.
(b) The moment of his birth.
(c) A message that was delivered to her by God.
(d) The visitors that brought him gifts when he was young.
8. Who visits Jesus in Chapter 1?
9. What do the monks want Jesus to do?
(a) To lead a revolt against the Romans.
(b) To become their Abbot.
(c) To live in the desert monastery with them.
(d) To help them spread their message.
10. What is Jesus's defense to save himself from God hunting him?
(a) Committing every conceivable sin to make God detest him.
(b) Helping his disciples to see him as human.
(c) Hiding himself in the monastery.
(d) Doing what he can to keep the Romans out of Nazareth.
11. In Chapter 6, Jesus leaves home to do what?
(a) Make a pilgrimage to Jerusalem.
(b) Enter a desert monastery.
(c) Visit Mary Magdalene.
(d) Face Barabbas in Golgotha.
12. What does Jesus do when he has an obscene dream after seeing Mary Magdalene?
(a) Leaves Magdala.
(b) Scourges himself.
(c) Swears to never see her again.
(d) Repents in prayer.
13. Who shelters Mary Magdalene in Capernaum?
14. What does Jesus do when he is slapped?
(a) Slaps the person back.
(b) Ignores the slap completely.
(c) Offers his other cheek.
(d) Reminds the person of God's swift retribution.
15. What does Simeon reveal to reassure the people?
(a) God has assured him that he will live to see the Messiah.
(b) The Israelites will be successful in their revolt against the Romans.
(c) Jesus is the Messiah.
(d) Jerusalem will be restored to its former glory.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the windstorm drive out of the well?
2. Who keeps Philip from murdering Jesus?
3. What does Jesus say to the mob that wants to stone Mary Magdalene?
4. After watching Jesus carry the cross he built, to whom does Simeon compare Jesus?
5. What is Jesus unable to vanquish?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)