|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the old woman feed Jesus?
(a) She is afraid of what he might do if she doesn't feed him.
(b) She knows that there is something special about him.
(c) She knows that he is the Messiah.
(d) She is embittered that the monastery took her son.
2. What does Simeon reveal to reassure the people?
(a) Jerusalem will be restored to its former glory.
(b) God has assured him that he will live to see the Messiah.
(c) The Israelites will be successful in their revolt against the Romans.
(d) Jesus is the Messiah.
3. What happens to Jesus in his dreams?
(a) He is pursued as "The One."
(b) He rises to Heaven.
(c) He is crucified.
(d) He is sent to Hell.
4. Why does Philip want to murder Jesus?
(a) Jesus is a cross-maker.
(b) Philip despises Jesus's father.
(c) Philip does not believe that Jesus is the Messiah.
(d) Philip is in love with Mary Magdalene.
5. What is Mary doing when Simeon visits?
(a) Spinning wool.
(b) Tending to her animals.
(c) Making soap.
(d) Cooking dinner.
6. How does Jesus feel about these dreams?
(a) He is happy about them.
(b) He is tormented by them.
(c) He is puzzled by them.
(d) He is resigned to them.
7. Why is John sent to Nazareth?
(a) To get Simeon.
(b) To obtain Jesus's blessing.
(c) To get Jesus to save Abbot Joachim.
(d) To tell everyone that Abbot Joachim is dead.
8. What does Andrew want Jesus to preach about in Capernaum?
(a) God's commandment to love one another.
(b) The Kingdom of God.
(c) Purifying fire.
(d) The blessedness of the poor.
9. Why does Jesus get trapped in Magdala?
(a) A storm prevents him from leaving.
(b) The guards are detaining him because they think he is suspicious.
(c) The disciples ask him to wait and meet them there.
(d) He is being hunted, and Magdala is the only place where he is safe.
10. Why is Jesus's mother embarrassed when the cross is hoisted for the first execution in the novel?
(a) The cross Jesus made tilts.
(b) The man who is to be executed spits on Jesus.
(c) The crowd taunts Jesus for making the cross.
(d) Jesus is too weak to hoist the cross.
11. Who shelters Mary Magdalene in Capernaum?
12. What does Simeon say to the men who move to block Jesus's path, as he carries the cross he built?
(a) He says nothing.
(b) He encourages them.
(c) He threatens them.
(d) He tells them not to impede God's will.
13. In Chapter 6, Jesus leaves home to do what?
(a) Visit Mary Magdalene.
(b) Face Barabbas in Golgotha.
(c) Enter a desert monastery.
(d) Make a pilgrimage to Jerusalem.
14. What are the men doing in Zebedee's yard at the beginning of autumn?
(a) Shaving the wool from his sheep.
(b) Cleaning fish and preparing them for market.
(c) Building a boat.
(d) Processing grapes into wine.
15. What did the clawing sensation stop Jesus from doing when he was twenty years old?
(a) Traveling to Golgotha.
(b) Turning his back on his disciples.
(c) Leaving his mother's house.
(d) Proposing to Mary Magdalene.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who orders Barabbas to leave?
2. Where does Jesus think the animals have come from?
3. Who warns Jesus that Judas intends to kill him in Magdala?
4. What does Jesus say to the mob that wants to stone Mary Magdalene?
5. What does Mary Magdalene dare Jesus to admit?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)