|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the clawing sensation occur for Jesus?
(a) Whenever something bad happens to one of his disciples.
(b) Whenever he feels pleasure.
(c) Whenever he is in close proximity to the Devil.
(d) Whenever he has committed a sin.
2. Who orders Barabbas to leave?
3. Jacob sees Jesus in Magdala, and mentally compares him to whom?
4. What does Jesus's visitor try to persuade him to do in Chapter 1?
(a) To not provide a cross for that day's execution.
(b) To propose to Mary Magdalene.
(c) To go to the desert monastery.
(d) To leave his mother's house for Jerusalem.
5. What does Simeon reveal to reassure the people?
(a) Jesus is the Messiah.
(b) The Israelites will be successful in their revolt against the Romans.
(c) Jerusalem will be restored to its former glory.
(d) God has assured him that he will live to see the Messiah.
6. Who is "The Curse"?
(a) An armor-clad woman with an eagle's head.
(b) An invisible vulture that claws at Jesus's head.
(c) A snake with a woman's head.
(d) Mary Magdalene.
7. Who does Zebedee assign to bring Andrew home?
8. Jesus realizes that the central figure in all of his dreams is __________.
(c) Mary Magdalene.
(d) The Devil.
9. Jesus angers Judas when he talks about what?
(a) Allowing himself to be crucified.
(b) Living in peace with the Romans.
(c) Being the Messiah.
(d) Pitying all of Creation.
10. What are the men doing in Zebedee's yard at the beginning of autumn?
(a) Processing grapes into wine.
(b) Cleaning fish and preparing them for market.
(c) Building a boat.
(d) Shaving the wool from his sheep.
11. Why is Abbot Joachim starving himself to death?
(a) To provoke the Romans.
(b) To incite the Israelites to retaliate against the Romans.
(c) To bring Israel's grievances to the attention of God.
(d) To convince his followers to give up their material possessions.
12. What does Simeon say to the men who move to block Jesus's path, as he carries the cross he built?
(a) He threatens them.
(b) He says nothing.
(c) He encourages them.
(d) He tells them not to impede God's will.
13. What does Andrew lecture Zebedee and the other men about?
(a) The Messiah.
(c) Slavery to the Romans.
(d) Work ethic.
14. Who is the first person to be executed in the novel?
(a) John the Baptist.
(b) The Zealot.
15. What does the rabbi tell Jesus, in Chapter 11?
(a) Love is only an idea, unless he who loves is also merciful.
(b) Pity and mercy can save humankind.
(c) Pity is not enough; there must also be love.
(d) Pity must be put into action, through love and mercy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the rich man who wants Jesus to perform sorcery to rid him of nightmares?
2. Who is helping Barabbas, in Chapter 1?
3. What is Jesus's defense to save himself from God hunting him?
4. What is Jesus unable to vanquish?
5. Why does the old woman feed Jesus?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)