|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subject of the parable Jesus tells the poor on the hill in Capernaum?
(a) A seed, falling into different kinds of soil.
(b) A man who is cold and burns down his house trying to warm himself.
(c) A poor man who gives his last crust of bread to someone else, and then becomes rich.
(d) A man who is wealthy on Earth, but goes to Hell when he dies.
2. Why does the old woman feed Jesus?
(a) She knows that there is something special about him.
(b) She is afraid of what he might do if she doesn't feed him.
(c) She knows that he is the Messiah.
(d) She is embittered that the monastery took her son.
3. Why does Jesus commit sins?
(a) To better relate to his followers, because they too are sinners.
(b) Because he is human, and therefore imperfect.
(c) To convince his followers that he is unworthy of being the Messiah.
(d) To make God detest him.
4. What happens to Jesus in his dreams?
(a) He is crucified.
(b) He rises to Heaven.
(c) He is sent to Hell.
(d) He is pursued as "The One."
5. Where does Jesus think the animals have come from?
(a) His imagination.
(b) His bowels.
(c) The river.
6. Why does Jesus leave home in Chapter 6?
(a) God gently tells him to do so.
(b) He wants to get away from God's persistent commands.
(c) He wants to make things easier for his mother and father.
(d) He thinks it will displease God.
7. How does Simeon respond when Jesus tells him about his dreams?
(a) He looks at Jesus, shocked.
(b) He scoffs at Jesus.
(c) He leaves, without saying anything else to Jesus.
(d) He agrees with Jesus.
8. In Chapter 6, Jesus leaves home to do what?
(a) Enter a desert monastery.
(b) Visit Mary Magdalene.
(c) Make a pilgrimage to Jerusalem.
(d) Face Barabbas in Golgotha.
9. Why does Jacob resist when Barabbas drags Mary Magdalene out?
(a) He knows how angry Jesus will be.
(b) He and Mary Magdalene were childhood friends.
(c) He is in love with Mary Magdalene.
(d) He wants to observe Moses's law.
10. Who is helping Barabbas, in Chapter 1?
(a) The Israelites.
(b) Jesus and his disciples.
(c) Zebedee and his workers.
(d) The Zealots.
11. What does Jesus say to the mob that wants to stone Mary Magdalene?
(a) Only one who is sinless may throw the first stone.
(b) Working on the Sabbath is not a sin worthy of a stoning.
(c) They cannot stone her without first conducting a fair trial.
(d) If they want to stone her, they will have to stone him as well.
12. Who summons the monks to hear Abbot Joachim's last words?
13. What is Jesus's response when Judas reveals his intent to kill him?
(a) Jesus reminds Judas that murderers do not go to Heaven.
(b) Jesus calls for help.
(c) Jesus threatens Judas in return.
(d) Jesus invites him to strike.
14. What does Jesus do when he is slapped?
(a) Ignores the slap completely.
(b) Slaps the person back.
(c) Offers his other cheek.
(d) Reminds the person of God's swift retribution.
15. What does the rabbi ask Jesus in Chapter 11?
(a) If he is ready to speak to all of mankind.
(b) If he is certain about his faith in God.
(c) If he wants to be worshipped.
(d) If he believes he is the Messiah.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nathaniel want Jesus to do for him in Magdala?
2. How does Jesus's mother look at him when he struggles and falls under the weight of the cross he built?
3. Why is Mary Magdalene being chased, by a mob, to Capernaum?
4. Why does Judas waver in his intent to kill Jesus in the monastery?
5. Why is Philip afraid to take Judas's side in his argument with Zebedee?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)