|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jesus realizes that the central figure in all of his dreams is __________.
(b) Mary Magdalene.
(d) The Devil.
2. Why is John sent to Nazareth?
(a) To obtain Jesus's blessing.
(b) To tell everyone that Abbot Joachim is dead.
(c) To get Simeon.
(d) To get Jesus to save Abbot Joachim.
3. What is Jesus's response when Judas reveals his intent to kill him?
(a) Jesus reminds Judas that murderers do not go to Heaven.
(b) Jesus invites him to strike.
(c) Jesus threatens Judas in return.
(d) Jesus calls for help.
4. After hearing what Jesus says to Simeon, what does Jesus's mother do?
(a) She slaps Jesus.
(b) She collapses.
(c) She falls, weeping, into Joseph's arms.
(d) She screams "Adonai!"
5. What does Nathaniel want Jesus to do for him in Magdala?
(a) Convince Mary Magdalene to leave her life of sin.
(b) Help him to smuggle Mary Magdalene out of Magdala.
(c) Preach to his group of friends and relatives.
(d) Bless his nephew's wedding.
6. Where does Jesus think the animals have come from?
(b) The river.
(c) His bowels.
(d) His imagination.
7. Why does Philip want to murder Jesus?
(a) Jesus is a cross-maker.
(b) Philip is in love with Mary Magdalene.
(c) Philip does not believe that Jesus is the Messiah.
(d) Philip despises Jesus's father.
8. What does Jesus's visitor try to persuade him to do in Chapter 1?
(a) To go to the desert monastery.
(b) To not provide a cross for that day's execution.
(c) To propose to Mary Magdalene.
(d) To leave his mother's house for Jerusalem.
9. What does the crowd do to taunt Jesus in Chapter 1?
(a) They call him a "cross-maker."
(b) They throw small stones at him.
(c) They call his mother names.
(d) They call Mary Magdalene a "slut."
10. Who is the rich man who wants Jesus to perform sorcery to rid him of nightmares?
11. How does Mary Magdalene feel about God?
(a) She hates God because he has kept her from being happy with Jesus.
(b) She believes God exists, but does not believe in the same God Jesus does.
(c) She believes in God, but she does not practice a religion.
(d) She is an atheist.
12. When does the clawing sensation occur for Jesus?
(a) Whenever he has committed a sin.
(b) Whenever something bad happens to one of his disciples.
(c) Whenever he feels pleasure.
(d) Whenever he is in close proximity to the Devil.
13. What is the subject of the parable Jesus tells the poor on the hill in Capernaum?
(a) A seed, falling into different kinds of soil.
(b) A poor man who gives his last crust of bread to someone else, and then becomes rich.
(c) A man who is wealthy on Earth, but goes to Hell when he dies.
(d) A man who is cold and burns down his house trying to warm himself.
14. While all the men are in Zebedee's yard, what is Salome overjoyed about?
(a) Judas is helping them.
(b) John is home.
(c) Jesus is coming to visit.
(d) The Romans are leaving Capernaum.
15. How does Jesus's mother look at him when he struggles and falls under the weight of the cross he built?
(a) With pity.
(b) With disappointment.
(c) With anger.
(d) With love.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jesus's quiet and elusive nature make Jacob suspect about him?
2. Why is Jesus's mother embarrassed when the cross is hoisted for the first execution in the novel?
3. Why does Judas waver in his intent to kill Jesus in the monastery?
4. How does Jesus feel about these dreams?
5. How does Simeon respond when Jesus tells him about his dreams?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)