|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chip arranges to borrow what after talking with Stevie and Susan Carol in Chapter 13?
2. Who taps Stevie on the shoulder and tells Stevie they need to have a talk at the end of Chapter 12?
3. Where was John Feinstein born and raised?
4. Brill and who tell the kids that they should write their own story and that their papers will run it under the by-lines in Chapter 19?
5. In what capacity does Steve Jurgenson work for Chip's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mr. Thomas in the narrative? How is he described? What does he tell Stevie to tell his mom in Chapter 19?
2. How does the dean believe Christine Braman is involved in the mystery in Chapter 14?
3. Who do Stevie, Chip, and Susan Carol find in the hotel room when they enter in Chapter 17? What do they learn?
4. What conflicts and obstacles do Stevie and Susan Carol face in Chapter 11?
5. Where does Chip agree to meet Steve Jurgenson in Chapter 16? Who does Susan Carol inform about their whereabouts?
6. Why does Jerry Ventura believe the kids were in his room in Chapter 13?
7. What happens when Stevie, Susan Carol ,and Chip return to the Superdome in Chapter 15?
8. What does the dean tell Susan Carol when she calls him in Chapter 12? Who does she encounter in the game?
9. What leads Susan Carol to believe Professor Whiting is speaking with Steve Jurgenson in Chapter 15?
10. Why is Stevie antsy in the morning in Chapter 16? What news does he learn from Chip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe, analyze, and discuss the character of Professor Thomas Whiting in the narrative. Why do Stevie and Susan Carol believe that Whiting is involved in the blackmailing plot? At what university does Whiting work? What does Professor Whiting reveal to Stevie and Susan Carol when they first speak with him?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the blackmailing plot and Chip Graber's involvement. Why did Chip decide not to go to his father when Professor Whiting told him about his transcript? What would you have done under the circumstances? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the press conferences in the novel and analyze the character of Coach K in the narrative. What is Susan Carol's relationship with Coach K? How does the author describe the press interviews? What sports celebrities are mentioned in the narrative and why?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)