|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Coach Graber comes up behind Chip to meet whom in Chapter 19?
2. In Chapter 12, Susan Carol is sitting next to a sportscaster who is interviewing whom as part of the interview panel?
3. In Chapter 19, after the award ceremony, who gives a press conference?
4. Who is the president of MSU in the novel?
5. Before Stevie and Susan Carol part for the night, Susan Carol does what in Chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Stevie and Susan Carol learn about Dean Wojenski in Chapter 19?
2. How has Stevie's relationship with Susan Carol evolved in Chapter 13?
3. What is foreshadowed in Chapter 16 regarding Stuart Feeley?
4. What moral of the story is revealed in Coach Graber's discussion with his son in Chapter 19?
5. What does Susan Carol discover when she calls the dean's office in Chapter 11? Where is the dean located?
6. Why is Stevie antsy in the morning in Chapter 16? What news does he learn from Chip?
7. What happens after the game in Chapter 19? What do Stevie and Susan Carol reveal to Chip?
8. What is ironic about the taped confession in Chapter 18?
9. What famous sports journalist do Stevie and Susan Carol meet in Chapter 12?
10. What does the dean tell Susan Carol when she calls him in Chapter 12? Who does she encounter in the game?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe, analyze, and discuss the character of Chip Graber in the novel. How old is Chip? On what team does Chip play? What is his position on the team? What story does Chip relate to Stevie and Susan Carol in Chapter 10? Is it believable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the blackmailing plot and Chip Graber's involvement. Why did Chip decide not to go to his father when Professor Whiting told him about his transcript? What would you have done under the circumstances? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Define, identify, and analyze conflict in the narrative. What are the three principle types of conflict that a character can encounter in a literary or dramatic work? Which are at play for Stevie in Chapter 5? What internal conflicts does Stevie encounter?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)