|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The dean tells Chip a story about the wife of the man that Chip's father got the head coaching job from when he was working where in Chapter 14?
2. In Chapter 17, the kidnappers say they will hold the kids hostage until they are sure that Chip will do what?
3. Who has a debate with another journalist about how old Stevie and Susan Carol are in Chapter 12?
4. In Chapter 13, Jerry Ventura questions Stevie about what?
5. In Chapter 16, Jurgenson returns Chip's call to meet with Chip late that night at what hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What famous sports journalist do Stevie and Susan Carol meet in Chapter 12?
2. How has Stevie's relationship with Susan Carol evolved in Chapter 13?
3. How are Stevie and Susan Carol rescued in Chapter 17?
4. What conflicts and obstacles do Stevie and Susan Carol face in Chapter 11?
5. What does the dean tell Susan Carol when she calls him in Chapter 12? Who does she encounter in the game?
6. Who ends up following Stevie, Chip, and Susan Carol in Chapter 14? How do they discover this?
7. What plan do Chip, Stevie, and Susan Carol devise when splitting up with Chip in Chapter 11? Where do they go next?
8. Why is Stevie antsy in the morning in Chapter 16? What news does he learn from Chip?
9. What is foreshadowed in Chapter 16 regarding Stuart Feeley?
10. What is the dean's response to Chip's story in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Jerry Ventura in the novel. Why does Ventura give the kids his room key? What does the key allow them to access? Also discuss the actions of Stevie and Susan Carol in Chapter 8. Is their dishonesty warranted?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the FCA and analyze and discuss the ethics of Susan Carol and Stevie's actions in the narrative. Given Susan Carol's religious nature, is her dishonesty seen in a different light than Stevie's? Why or why not? How do the kids feel about lying to their fathers?
Essay Topic 3
Describe, compare, and contrast the settings of Pennsylvania, North Carolina, New Orleans, and Bay St. Louis, Mississippi in the novel. Which characters live in each of these locations? How are the settings described by the author? How are they similar and dissimilar?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)