|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Susan Carol tells Stevie that the dean wants them to meet him when in Chapter 13?
2. Susan Carol mentions what person having helped to connect them with the dean in Chapter 14?
3. When Susan Carol calls the dean in Chapter 12, the dean tells Susan Carol to come by his house when?
4. In literature, what refers to the inherent incompatibility between the objectives of two or more characters or forces?
5. After listening to the story from the kids, the dean says he cannot find what in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Stevie and Susan Carol learn about Dean Wojenski in Chapter 19?
2. Where does Chip agree to meet Steve Jurgenson in Chapter 16? Who does Susan Carol inform about their whereabouts?
3. What famous sports journalist do Stevie and Susan Carol meet in Chapter 12?
4. Why is Stevie antsy in the morning in Chapter 16? What news does he learn from Chip?
5. What is the dean's response to Chip's story in Chapter 14?
6. What moral of the story is revealed in Coach Graber's discussion with his son in Chapter 19?
7. What lie do Stevie and Susan Carol devise in order to meet the dean in Chapter 13?
8. What conflicts and obstacles do Stevie and Susan Carol face in Chapter 11?
9. What does Susan Carol discover when she calls the dean's office in Chapter 11? Where is the dean located?
10. What is ironic about the taped confession in Chapter 18?
Essay Topic 1
Describe, compare, and contrast the settings of Pennsylvania, North Carolina, New Orleans, and Bay St. Louis, Mississippi in the novel. Which characters live in each of these locations? How are the settings described by the author? How are they similar and dissimilar?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the actions and objectives of Stevie and Susan Carol in Chapters 1-7. What do each of the protagonists want? How do they go about achieving their desires? What appears to be the objective of each character? What actions does each character take?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the characters of Dean Wojenski and Christine Braman in the novel. How are each of these characters potentially involved in the blackmailing plot? What motivation would Braman have in blackmailing Chip? How is Chip's father involved in the plot?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)