|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 17, the kidnappers say they will hold the kids hostage until when?
2. Stevie goes into the press room to find whom in Chapter 15?
3. In Chapter 14, the dean catches Chip in a lie when he introduces Susan Carol as what?
4. What do Stevie and Susan Carol do when Chip Graber makes a score in Chapter 12?
5. Stevie, Susan Carol, and Chip devise a plan to try to get a hold of whom in Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the dean tell Susan Carol when she calls him in Chapter 12? Who does she encounter in the game?
2. How are Stevie and Susan Carol rescued in Chapter 17?
3. How does the game end in Chapter 12? Who does Stevie encounter after the game?
4. How does the dean believe Christine Braman is involved in the mystery in Chapter 14?
5. What do Stevie and Susan Carol learn about Dean Wojenski in Chapter 19?
6. What relationship does Steve Jurgenson have with Coach Graber, according to his story in Chapter 18? What is the plan upon arriving at the arena?
7. What is foreshadowed in Chapter 16 regarding Stuart Feeley?
8. Why is Stevie antsy in the morning in Chapter 16? What news does he learn from Chip?
9. Why does Jerry Ventura believe the kids were in his room in Chapter 13?
10. Who do Stevie, Susan Carol, and Chip decide to reveal the blackmailing plot to in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the plan developed by Susan Carol and Stevie in Chapter 7. Where do the kids decide to go in order to talk to Chip Graber? What do they hope to learn? How do the kids plan on getting around their fathers and assigned reporters in order to reach Chip?
Essay Topic 2
Define, identify, and analyze exposition and rising action in a literary narrative and in this particular novel. How does the author transition the narrative from exposition to suspense? How traditional is this plot structure? What does the author reveal through exposition in the first chapters? How does this effectively set up the plot and characters?
Essay Topic 3
Describe, compare, and contrast the settings of Pennsylvania, North Carolina, New Orleans, and Bay St. Louis, Mississippi in the novel. Which characters live in each of these locations? How are the settings described by the author? How are they similar and dissimilar?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)