|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, Stevie, Susan Carol, and Chip arrive at the dean's house at what time?
2. What refers to a state or condition of mental uncertainty or excitement, as in awaiting a decision or outcome, usually accompanied by a degree of apprehension or anxiety?
3. In Chapter 16, Susan Carol tells Stevie Mr. Feeley is going to talk to whom?
4. Stevie and Susan Carol explain to Chip how who helped save them in Chapter 19?
5. Susan Carol asks the hotel to ring whose room when she and Stevie overhear a conversation in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mr. Thomas in the narrative? How is he described? What does he tell Stevie to tell his mom in Chapter 19?
2. What is foreshadowed in Chapter 16 regarding Stuart Feeley?
3. What led Steve Jurgenson to follow Chip, Stevie and Susan Carol, according to his story in Chapter 18?
4. Who do Stevie, Chip, and Susan Carol find in the hotel room when they enter in Chapter 17? What do they learn?
5. How has Stevie's relationship with Susan Carol evolved in Chapter 13?
6. What does the dean tell Susan Carol when she calls him in Chapter 12? Who does she encounter in the game?
7. What do Brill and Weiss suggest Stevie and Susan Carol do in Chapter 19?
8. Who does Steve Jurgenson ask Stevie and Susan Carol to give statements to in Chapter 18? Why?
9. What does Susan Carol discover when she calls the dean's office in Chapter 11? Where is the dean located?
10. Who do Stevie, Susan Carol, and Chip decide to reveal the blackmailing plot to in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Susan Carol Anderson. How does Stevie feel about Susan Carol upon meeting her? How old is Susan Carol? Where is she from? How is Susan Carol's appearance described by the author? What kind of accent does she have?
Essay Topic 2
Describe, analyze and discuss Stevie and Susan Carol's impressions of the conversation overheard on the docks in Chapter 5. How does this information lend itself to both internal and external conflicts for the characters? What would you do if faced with this information?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the characters of Dean Wojenski and Christine Braman in the novel. How are each of these characters potentially involved in the blackmailing plot? What motivation would Braman have in blackmailing Chip? How is Chip's father involved in the plot?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)