|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Stevie live with his family in the novel?
2. Dick Weiss tells Stevie and Susan Carol that they have to work how, in Chapter 3?
3. In Chapter 10, Stevie and Susan Carol tell their story to Chip, and Chip says there is nothing they can do about what?
4. The character of Susan Carol is described as being very what in the narrative?
5. Stevie and Susan Carol get introduced to what big ESPN newscaster in the end of Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do Susan Carol and Stevie reveal the blackmailing plot to in Chapter 7? What is the response?
2. Where does Stevie meet Coach K in Chapter 4? What does Coach K ask Stevie to do?
3. What is foreshadowed when Stevie and his father check into the hotel in Chapter 1?
4. What is Chip's response after Stevie and Susan Carol relate their story to him in Chapter 10?
5. Who do Stevie and Susan Carol meet at the award ceremony in Chapter 2?
6. What does Dick Weiss teach Stevie in Chapter 3? What does Stevie learn about the process of journalism?
7. How do Stevie and Susan Carol gain access to Chip Graber's room in Chapter 9?
8. How is the awards breakfast described in Chapter 3? What does Dick Weiss tell the kids about their assignment?
9. Where do Stevie and Susan Carol find the players' room numbers in Chapter 9? What do they do next?
10. What is ironic about the person Stevie and Susan Carol discover to be the blackmailer in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe, analyze, and discuss the character of Professor Thomas Whiting in the narrative. Why do Stevie and Susan Carol believe that Whiting is involved in the blackmailing plot? At what university does Whiting work? What does Professor Whiting reveal to Stevie and Susan Carol when they first speak with him?
Essay Topic 2
Define, identify, and analyze exposition and rising action in a literary narrative and in this particular novel. How does the author transition the narrative from exposition to suspense? How traditional is this plot structure? What does the author reveal through exposition in the first chapters? How does this effectively set up the plot and characters?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the press conferences in the novel and analyze the character of Coach K in the narrative. What is Susan Carol's relationship with Coach K? How does the author describe the press interviews? What sports celebrities are mentioned in the narrative and why?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)