|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Chip's story in Chapter 10, Professor Whiting told Chip he had failed how many courses in the previous semester?
2. What refers to a decisive moment that is of maximum intensity or is a major turning point in a plot?
3. Susan Carol and Stevie run into what MSU staff member who gives them his keycard to go to his room in Chapter 8?
4. In Chapter 10, Stevie and Susan Carol tell their story to Chip, and Chip says there is nothing they can do about what?
5. When Stevie and Susan Carol read Professor Whiting's bio in the media program, they find out he sits on a sub-committee about what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Chip's response after Stevie and Susan Carol relate their story to him in Chapter 10?
2. Why is Stevie jealous of Susan Carol in Chapter 4? Who dissuades him from writing his article about MSU's player?
3. Why does Stevie dismiss the compliment he receives on his story in Chapter 7?
4. What is ironic about the person Stevie and Susan Carol discover to be the blackmailer in Chapter 6?
5. What plan do Stevie and Susan Carol develop to identify the blackmailer in Chapter 6?
6. How do Stevie and Susan Carol gain access to Chip Graber's room in Chapter 9?
7. What is foreshadowed upon Stevie's meeting Susan Carol in Chapter 2? What does Dick Weiss suggest Stevie read?
8. When did Stevie become a fan of basketball? What does Stevie hope to be when he grows up?
9. Who is Dick Weiss? How is he described in Chapter 3?
10. Who do Stevie and Susan Carol meet at the award ceremony in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe, analyze and discuss the characters of Brill and Weiss in the novel. How do Stevie and Susan Carol feel about their assigned reporters? How seriously do Brill and Weiss take Stevie and Susan Carol when they are told about the conversation on the docks?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the actions and objectives of Stevie and Susan Carol in Chapters 1-7. What do each of the protagonists want? How do they go about achieving their desires? What appears to be the objective of each character? What actions does each character take?
Essay Topic 3
Define, identify, and analyze conflict in the narrative. What are the three principle types of conflict that a character can encounter in a literary or dramatic work? Which are at play for Stevie in Chapter 5? What internal conflicts does Stevie encounter?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)