|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Weiss explains that the higher level seat tickets are selling for how much in Chapter 3?
2. Where do Susan Carol and Stevie sit down to review what they know in Chapter 7?
3. The character of Susan Carol is described as being very what in the narrative?
4. Weiss explains that the lower seat tickets are selling for how much in Chapter 3?
5. In Chapter 1, Stevie receives a letter that he is the winner of an essay contest from what organization?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is foreshadowed in Chip's conversation with Stevie and Susan Carol in Chapter 10?
2. What plan do Stevie and Susan Carol develop to identify the blackmailer in Chapter 6?
3. Why does Stevie dismiss the compliment he receives on his story in Chapter 7?
4. What do Stevie and Susan Carol know about the plot in Chapter 7?
5. When did Stevie become a fan of basketball? What does Stevie hope to be when he grows up?
6. Who do Susan Carol and Stevie reveal the blackmailing plot to in Chapter 7? What is the response?
7. Who is Dick Weiss? How is he described in Chapter 3?
8. Who do Susan Carol and Stevie see speaking suspiciously in Chapter 5? Where do they go?
9. How is the awards breakfast described in Chapter 3? What does Dick Weiss tell the kids about their assignment?
10. What is foreshadowed upon Stevie's meeting Susan Carol in Chapter 2? What does Dick Weiss suggest Stevie read?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe, analyze, and discuss the character of Chip Graber in the novel. How old is Chip? On what team does Chip play? What is his position on the team? What story does Chip relate to Stevie and Susan Carol in Chapter 10? Is it believable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe, analyze and discuss Stevie and Susan Carol's impressions of the conversation overheard on the docks in Chapter 5. How does this information lend itself to both internal and external conflicts for the characters? What would you do if faced with this information?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the press conferences in the novel and analyze the character of Coach K in the narrative. What is Susan Carol's relationship with Coach K? How does the author describe the press interviews? What sports celebrities are mentioned in the narrative and why?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)