|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Stevie is waiting to check in at the hotel in Chapter 1, he is in line behind what famous sports reporter?
2. The essay winners and their parents have an opportunity to meet a famous sports writer from what publication in Chapter 2?
3. By what name is Susan Carol's father referred to in the novel?
4. What class does Thomas Whiting teach in the novel?
5. In Chapter 3, Stevie and Susan Carol are attending what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Stevie and Susan Carol gain access to Chip Graber's room in Chapter 9?
2. Who is Dick Weiss? How is he described in Chapter 3?
3. What plan do Stevie and Susan Carol develop to identify the blackmailer in Chapter 6?
4. What is foreshadowed upon Stevie's meeting Susan Carol in Chapter 2? What does Dick Weiss suggest Stevie read?
5. How is the awards breakfast described in Chapter 3? What does Dick Weiss tell the kids about their assignment?
6. Where do Stevie and Susan Carol find the players' room numbers in Chapter 9? What do they do next?
7. Who do Susan Carol and Stevie see speaking suspiciously in Chapter 5? Where do they go?
8. What does the award letter Stevie receives in Chapter 1 give him permission to attend? Where is Stevie going?
9. Where does Stevie meet Coach K in Chapter 4? What does Coach K ask Stevie to do?
10. Why does Stevie dismiss the compliment he receives on his story in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define, identify, and analyze exposition and rising action in a literary narrative and in this particular novel. How does the author transition the narrative from exposition to suspense? How traditional is this plot structure? What does the author reveal through exposition in the first chapters? How does this effectively set up the plot and characters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the plan developed by Susan Carol and Stevie in Chapter 7. Where do the kids decide to go in order to talk to Chip Graber? What do they hope to learn? How do the kids plan on getting around their fathers and assigned reporters in order to reach Chip?
Essay Topic 3
Define, identify, and analyze conflict in the narrative. What are the three principle types of conflict that a character can encounter in a literary or dramatic work? Which are at play for Stevie in Chapter 5? What internal conflicts does Stevie encounter?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)