|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, Stevie and Susan Carol discover that Chip Graber doesn't have what at the hotel?
2. Stevie wants to include the number of references to student athletes, so he asks who to keep track of the number of references for him in Chapter 5?
3. In Chapter 10, Stevie and Susan Carol tell their story to Chip, and Chip says there is nothing they can do about what?
4. In Chapter 10, Chip says the blackmailing started on what night of the week, after they got home from winning the championship game that got MSU into the Final Four?
5. What is a literary device in which an author suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Susan Carol and Stevie overhear in Chapter 5? What conflict do they face?
2. What is ironic about the person Stevie and Susan Carol discover to be the blackmailer in Chapter 6?
3. When did Stevie become a fan of basketball? What does Stevie hope to be when he grows up?
4. Who is Dick Weiss? How is he described in Chapter 3?
5. What plan do Stevie and Susan Carol develop to identify the blackmailer in Chapter 6?
6. What do Stevie and Susan Carol know about the plot in Chapter 7?
7. Why is Stevie jealous of Susan Carol in Chapter 4? Who dissuades him from writing his article about MSU's player?
8. Who do Susan Carol and Stevie see speaking suspiciously in Chapter 5? Where do they go?
9. Where does Stevie meet Coach K in Chapter 4? What does Coach K ask Stevie to do?
10. What do Stevie and Susan Carol do in order to get in touch with Chip in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define, identify, and analyze conflict in the narrative. What are the three principle types of conflict that a character can encounter in a literary or dramatic work? Which are at play for Stevie in Chapter 5? What internal conflicts does Stevie encounter?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Dick Weiss and the assignment given to Stevie and Susan Carol during their stay in New Orleans. What are the kids to write about and how often? How exclusive is the opportunity the kids are given? How do they feel about their assignments?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the press conferences in the novel and analyze the character of Coach K in the narrative. What is Susan Carol's relationship with Coach K? How does the author describe the press interviews? What sports celebrities are mentioned in the narrative and why?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)