|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the judges of the essay contest introduces himself to the parents and the kids in Chapter 2?
2. Susan Carol tells Stevie that she already did what for the day in Chapter 3?
3. When Stevie and Susan Carol get to Chip's floor in Chapter 9 they are stopped by a security guard, but Stevie says he's what?
4. In Chapter 1, Stevie receives a letter that he is the winner of an essay contest from what organization?
5. As they approach the locker room, who lets Susan Carol through but tries to stop Stevie in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do Susan Carol and Stevie see speaking suspiciously in Chapter 5? Where do they go?
2. How do Stevie and Susan Carol gain access to Chip Graber's room in Chapter 9?
3. What does the award letter Stevie receives in Chapter 1 give him permission to attend? Where is Stevie going?
4. Where do Stevie and Susan Carol find the players' room numbers in Chapter 9? What do they do next?
5. What is ironic about the person Stevie and Susan Carol discover to be the blackmailer in Chapter 6?
6. How do Stevie and Susan Carol gain access to the floor with the players' rooms in Chapter 8?
7. When did Stevie become a fan of basketball? What does Stevie hope to be when he grows up?
8. How does Susan Carol help Stevie get into the locker room in Chapter 5?
9. Where does Stevie go for a walk in Chapter 5? Who accompanies him?
10. What parts of the mystery are Susan Carol and Stevie still missing in Chapter 7? Who do they decide to talk with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the actions and objectives of Stevie and Susan Carol in Chapters 1-7. What do each of the protagonists want? How do they go about achieving their desires? What appears to be the objective of each character? What actions does each character take?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the blackmailing plot and Chip Graber's involvement. Why did Chip decide not to go to his father when Professor Whiting told him about his transcript? What would you have done under the circumstances? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss Stevie Thomas as the protagonist of the novel. How old is Stevie? What is the sporting event Stevie is covering? What award did Stevie win in order to cover the event? Where does Stevie live with his family? What does Stevie aspire to be when he grows up?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)