|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Susan Carol has what kind of accent in the novel?
2. As they approach the locker room, who lets Susan Carol through but tries to stop Stevie in Chapter 5?
3. In Chapter 9, Stevie and Susan Carol find the list of players' room numbers where?
4. The essay winners and their parents have an opportunity to meet a famous sports writer from what publication in Chapter 2?
5. Whose room are Stevie and Susan Carol attempting to locate in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do Susan Carol and Stevie reveal the blackmailing plot to in Chapter 7? What is the response?
2. What do Stevie and Susan Carol do in order to get in touch with Chip in Chapter 8?
3. What parts of the mystery are Susan Carol and Stevie still missing in Chapter 7? Who do they decide to talk with?
4. Who is Dick Weiss? How is he described in Chapter 3?
5. What do Stevie and Susan Carol know about the plot in Chapter 7?
6. Why is Stevie jealous of Susan Carol in Chapter 4? Who dissuades him from writing his article about MSU's player?
7. What does the award letter Stevie receives in Chapter 1 give him permission to attend? Where is Stevie going?
8. What is Chip's response after Stevie and Susan Carol relate their story to him in Chapter 10?
9. What is foreshadowed when Stevie and his father check into the hotel in Chapter 1?
10. What plan do Stevie and Susan Carol develop to identify the blackmailer in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the blackmailing plot and Chip Graber's involvement. Why did Chip decide not to go to his father when Professor Whiting told him about his transcript? What would you have done under the circumstances? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe, analyze and discuss the characters of Brill and Weiss in the novel. How do Stevie and Susan Carol feel about their assigned reporters? How seriously do Brill and Weiss take Stevie and Susan Carol when they are told about the conversation on the docks?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss Stevie Thomas as the protagonist of the novel. How old is Stevie? What is the sporting event Stevie is covering? What award did Stevie win in order to cover the event? Where does Stevie live with his family? What does Stevie aspire to be when he grows up?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)