|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, Chip treats Stevie and Susan Carol as though they are what?
2. Stevie and Susan Carol overhear the guy in the gray suit and someone else talking about throwing a game so that who wins in Chapter 5?
3. After returning to the press room, Stevie checks with his editor, and the editor tells him what in Chapter 7?
4. When they try to pick up their media credentials, Stevie is given a hard time because he does not have what?
5. The other winner of the student reporter essay contest, aside from Stevie, is named what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about the person Stevie and Susan Carol discover to be the blackmailer in Chapter 6?
2. Why is Stevie jealous of Susan Carol in Chapter 4? Who dissuades him from writing his article about MSU's player?
3. What is foreshadowed upon Stevie's meeting Susan Carol in Chapter 2? What does Dick Weiss suggest Stevie read?
4. When did Stevie become a fan of basketball? What does Stevie hope to be when he grows up?
5. Where does Stevie meet Coach K in Chapter 4? What does Coach K ask Stevie to do?
6. How do Stevie and Susan Carol gain access to the floor with the players' rooms in Chapter 8?
7. What do Stevie and Susan Carol know about the plot in Chapter 7?
8. What do Susan Carol and Stevie overhear in Chapter 5? What conflict do they face?
9. Who do Susan Carol and Stevie see speaking suspiciously in Chapter 5? Where do they go?
10. Who do Stevie and Susan Carol meet at the award ceremony in Chapter 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define, identify, and analyze exposition and rising action in a literary narrative and in this particular novel. How does the author transition the narrative from exposition to suspense? How traditional is this plot structure? What does the author reveal through exposition in the first chapters? How does this effectively set up the plot and characters?
Essay Topic 2
Describe, analyze and discuss the characters of Brill and Weiss in the novel. How do Stevie and Susan Carol feel about their assigned reporters? How seriously do Brill and Weiss take Stevie and Susan Carol when they are told about the conversation on the docks?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Dick Weiss and the assignment given to Stevie and Susan Carol during their stay in New Orleans. What are the kids to write about and how often? How exclusive is the opportunity the kids are given? How do they feel about their assignments?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)