|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chip Garber is the star player of what team in the novel?
2. When Stevie and Susan Carol get to Chip's floor in Chapter 9 they are stopped by a security guard, but Stevie says he's what?
3. The essay winners and their parents have an opportunity to meet what famous sports writer in Chapter 2?
4. In Chapter 6, Stevie comes up with a plan for Susan Carol to talk to different men to see if she recognizes what?
5. The coaches are being interviewed by the reporters from what news organization in the beginning of Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the awards breakfast described in Chapter 3? What does Dick Weiss tell the kids about their assignment?
2. What is foreshadowed when Stevie and his father check into the hotel in Chapter 1?
3. Where do Stevie and Susan Carol find the players' room numbers in Chapter 9? What do they do next?
4. What plan do Stevie and Susan Carol develop to identify the blackmailer in Chapter 6?
5. What do Stevie and Susan Carol do in order to get in touch with Chip in Chapter 8?
6. Who do Susan Carol and Stevie see speaking suspiciously in Chapter 5? Where do they go?
7. How do Stevie and Susan Carol gain access to the floor with the players' rooms in Chapter 8?
8. Who do Susan Carol and Stevie reveal the blackmailing plot to in Chapter 7? What is the response?
9. What does Dick Weiss teach Stevie in Chapter 3? What does Stevie learn about the process of journalism?
10. Who contacted Chip when the blackmailing began, according to his story in Chapter 10? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the teams involved in the Final Four Games in the novel. Which team is Stevie rooting for? Which team is Susan Carol a fan of? What is the outcome of the games? How does the blackmailing scheme affect the games' outcome?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the plan developed by Susan Carol and Stevie in Chapter 7. Where do the kids decide to go in order to talk to Chip Graber? What do they hope to learn? How do the kids plan on getting around their fathers and assigned reporters in order to reach Chip?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting of Bay St. Louis and its proximity to New Orleans and analyze and discuss the information derived by Susan Carol in Chapter 11. What did the dean's assistant's voicemail reveal? What do Stevie and Susan Carol plan to do in order to learn more about the plot?
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)