|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stevie's last name in the novel?
2. What is a rhetorical device, literary technique, or situation in which there is a sharp incongruity or discordance that goes beyond the simple and evident intention of words or actions?
3. Dick Weiss tells Stevie and Susan Carol that it's in the moderator handbook to refer to the basketball players as what in Chapter 4?
4. What refers to the final resolution of the intricacies of a plot, as of a drama or novel?
5. Stevie decides to write his story about what in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Stevie and Susan Carol find the players' room numbers in Chapter 9? What do they do next?
2. What does the award letter Stevie receives in Chapter 1 give him permission to attend? Where is Stevie going?
3. How is the awards breakfast described in Chapter 3? What does Dick Weiss tell the kids about their assignment?
4. What plan do Stevie and Susan Carol develop to identify the blackmailer in Chapter 6?
5. Where does Stevie meet Coach K in Chapter 4? What does Coach K ask Stevie to do?
6. When did Stevie become a fan of basketball? What does Stevie hope to be when he grows up?
7. What is ironic about the person Stevie and Susan Carol discover to be the blackmailer in Chapter 6?
8. How do Stevie and Susan Carol gain access to Chip Graber's room in Chapter 9?
9. What do Stevie and Susan Carol do in order to get in touch with Chip in Chapter 8?
10. Who contacted Chip when the blackmailing began, according to his story in Chapter 10? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe, analyze, and discuss the character of Professor Thomas Whiting in the narrative. Why do Stevie and Susan Carol believe that Whiting is involved in the blackmailing plot? At what university does Whiting work? What does Professor Whiting reveal to Stevie and Susan Carol when they first speak with him?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the character of Jerry Ventura in the novel. Why does Ventura give the kids his room key? What does the key allow them to access? Also discuss the actions of Stevie and Susan Carol in Chapter 8. Is their dishonesty warranted?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the blackmailing plot and Chip Graber's involvement. Why did Chip decide not to go to his father when Professor Whiting told him about his transcript? What would you have done under the circumstances? Why?
This section contains 995 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)