|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 16, for what reason does Dimitri decide they should wait until daylight to approach Sonya Karp's house?
2. In chapter 3, who recently re-landscaped the garden outside the church?
3. In chapter 11, why does Sydney trade cars with Raymond?
4. In chapter 10, what reason does Victor give for wanting to help Rose?
5. In chapter 5, why does Dimitri tell Rose that Lissa purposely blocked the mental bond to keep Rose from learning of the escape plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dimitri react to the Strigoi he and Rose are forced to fight to get the information they need about Sonya Karp? Why?
2. Where did Rose get a note written by her alleged murder victim, Queen Tatiana? What does it say?
3. What do Alchemists do for the Keepers that makes Sydney concerned that they might be spotted by other Alchemists? What problem might this cause?
4. Who is Ambrose? Why does Lissa suggest they talk to him as she and her friends begin investigating the murder of Tatiana?
5. In chapter 11, what does Rose need Sydney to research for her? Why?
6. Why do Rose and Dimitri begin fighting physically once they arrive at the motel where they will be staying until Rose's friends can prove her innocence?
7. Who decides to provide security for Lissa during the monarch tests? For what reason?
8. In chapter 11, how do Rose and Dimitri end up in a library? What do they do there?
9. Who is Joe the janitor? What does he reveal to Lissa and Adrian under compulsion about his testimony at Rose's evidence hearing?
10. In chapter 5, how does Rose end up in a mall? What does Rose use as a disguise in this mall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Ian? What is his relationship to Sydney? Why does Lissa think Ian knows something about the Moroi who attacked her and was killed by Eddie? Why would a Moroi attack another Moroi? Is this common in Moroi society? Why is Eddie arrested after killing the Moroi? Was Eddie acting properly, or did he do something illegal? Why does Rose decide she needs to talk to Ian about what he knows about the Moroi man? Who does Ian identify the Moroi man as being?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Sydney? Why is she helping Rose in her escape from jail? How does Sydney feel about Rose and others of her kind? For what reason? Why does Rose believe Sydney is helping her? Where does Sydney take Rose and Dimitri after they are run out of the motel where they were supposed to stay? Why? What does Sydney think of this place where she has taken Rose and Dimitri? Why is Sydney so bothered by the lifestyle of the Keepers? How are the Keepers different from those living in modern Moroi society?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Rose Hathaway? Why is she in jail at the beginning of the novel? What is she accused of doing? What book does her father give her to read? Why is this an interesting choice of books for a person in Rose's position? What note does Rose have from the murder victim? Why would Rose be chosen as the recipient of such a note? What impact could the information in the note have on Rose and Lissa if it proves to be true? Why does Rose contact the person who wrote the note to verify its veracity? Why does Rose not ask this person the identity of her real killer at the same time?
This section contains 1,430 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)