|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 17, what does Lissa discover the items her clues on the map led her to during her first monarch test were meant to be used for?
2. In chapter 18, how does Sonya begin to break free from her restraints?
3. In chapter 5, what does Dimitri insist Rose must do when he realizes they are being followed?
4. In chapter 14, who is last to nominate Lissa as a queen candidate?
5. In chapter 14, which of the candidates does Rose favor the most?
Short Essay Questions
1. What warning does Victor make to Rose about Sonya Karp in chapter 18? Why does this warning frighten Sydney?
2. What do Alchemists do for the Keepers that makes Sydney concerned that they might be spotted by other Alchemists? What problem might this cause?
3. In chapter 4, Rose becomes aware that most of the guards have run out of her cell block and left her with much fewer guards. What has caused this?
4. Who is Dimitri Belikov? What happened to him in the previous novel?
5. In chapter 13, what does Ambrose tell Lissa, Adrian, and Christian about Tatiana's beliefs regarding the dhampirs?
6. In chapter 10, what does Victor suggest Rose have Lissa due in order to buy them time to find out who really killed Tatiana? How will this delay Rose's fate?
7. Who is Sonya Karp? How did she become a Strigoi? What does she have to do with Lissa's illegitimate sibling?
8. What is Lissa's role to be in the funeral for Tatiana?
9. Who wants to go with Rose, Dimitri, and Sydney when they leave the Keepers settlement? For what reason? Why does Rose refuse?
10. With whom do Rose and Dimitri meet in a McDonald's parking lot? How does Rose think this meeting came about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are auras? Why does Sonya tell Rose that her aura matches with Dimitri's? What did Sonya see in Dimitri and Rose's auras that made her believe they were lovers? How does this information lead Rose to realize that Dimitri is still in love with her? Why is this information a surprise to Rose? How does Rose respond to Dimitri's admission of love? What complicates Rose and Dimitri's relationship? What ultimatum does Rose place on Dimitri before she will agree to become committed to him? What other relationship does Rose need to deal with before committing to Dimitri?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Dimitri have such a violent reaction when he kills Strigoi? What does Dimitri hope will be the result of these killings? How does Rose help Dimitri calm after this episode? How does this mark a change in Dimitri's attitude toward Rose? What happened to Dimitri to fill him with so much guilt and self-loathing? Why has Dimitri pushed Rose away? After this episode, what seems to have changed in Dimitri's behavior as compared to earlier in the novel? How does Dimitri appear to continue changing when Sonya Karp is healed from her Strigoi condition?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following relationships in an essay using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
1) Rose and Lissa
2) Rose and Dimitri
3) Rose and Adrian
4) Rose and Abe
This section contains 1,305 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)