|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lenny joke about seeing?
2. What are the last words that Ray speaks?
3. What is Ray's surname?
4. What does Vince presume would happen to the money he gave Jack?
5. What does Vic read in the church?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vic remember about the funeral at Fairfax Park Hospital?
2. What problems has Lenny had with his daughter Sally?
3. Why does the situation in the pub in Rochester feel surreal?
4. Why did Ray refuse to sell Jack his camper van?
5. How do the characters cope climbing up the hill?
6. How does Lenny react when Vince leaves behind Jack's remains?
7. What did Vince think about when he heard that Jack was dying?
8. What does Vince regret doing to his daughter Kathy?
9. Why did Amy decide not to tell Jack about her affair with Ray?
10. How did Amy meet Jack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1980s? How does Swift express these concerns?
2) How would Swift have to change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Swift's life. In what way is his life and personality is reflected in the book? Does he identify with any of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)