Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vic order to drink?
2. Why was Amy disappointed in Jack?
3. What kind of business did Ray's father own?
4. Who does Ray think is the healthiest of all the friends?
5. What was the name of the woman Jack fell in love with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation does Ray remember having with Jack?
2. What does Ray think about his and his friends health?
3. How does Ray think insurance works?
4. What do the characters think about as they look at the war memorial?
5. Why did Vince fight in school?
6. What reason does Ray give for Amy not coming on the trip?
7. What does Vince say he hated his father for doing?
8. How do the characters cope climbing up the hill?
9. What deal did Vince offer Ray for the use of his yard?
10. What does Vince say they are looking for?
Essay Topic 1
Away from the main character examine the way Swift uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Swift use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)