|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ray say Vince has just come from?
2. What country does Susie want to move to?
3. What kind of job did Ray's father want him to get?
4. Where does the traffic start slowing to a crawl?
5. Who does Amy have to see?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Ray's life like after the war?
2. Why did Vince fight in school?
3. How did Ray raise money to pay for Susie's plane ticket?
4. How did Vince think differently to Jack?
5. What had Jack and his wife planned to do before Jack died?
6. Why was Amy disappointed in Jack?
7. How did Vince change after coming back from the army?
8. What does Vic have with him?
9. What does Vince say he hated his father for doing?
10. How did Vince rebel against Jack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1980s? How does Swift express these concerns?
2) How would Swift have to change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
In 2001, Fred Schepisi directed a film version of Last Orders, starring Michael Caine. Why do you think the themes and ideas in the book were still relevant six years later? How did the filmmakers adapt the themes to fit in with the new environment? How did these changes affect the meaning of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Swift's dialogue contribute to the following areas?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)