|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Ray's wife?
2. What is Jack's nickname?
3. What is the name of the horse Ray puts money on?
4. Who does Susie want to move to Australia with?
5. What is inside the jar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vic have with him?
2. What happened between Ray and Carol when Susie left?
3. How did Vince rebel against Jack?
4. Why was Vince getting teased at school?
5. How did Ray get his nickname of Lucky?
6. What conversation does Vince remember having with Jack?
7. How did Vince think differently to Jack?
8. What reason does Ray give for Amy not coming on the trip?
9. What does Ray talk to the bartender about?
10. How did Vic know Jack was coming to say something important when he walked towards his shop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Swift's life. In what way is his life and personality is reflected in the book? Does he identify with any of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about life in '80s Britain:
1) The Mercedes.
2) Family life.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)