|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vic order to drink?
2. Why was Amy disappointed in Jack?
3. What kind of business did Ray's father own?
4. Who does Ray think is the healthiest of all the friends?
5. What was the name of the woman Jack fell in love with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation does Ray remember having with Jack?
2. What does Ray think about his and his friends health?
3. How does Ray think insurance works?
4. What do the characters think about as they look at the war memorial?
5. Why did Vince fight in school?
6. What reason does Ray give for Amy not coming on the trip?
7. What does Vince say he hated his father for doing?
8. How do the characters cope climbing up the hill?
9. What deal did Vince offer Ray for the use of his yard?
10. What does Vince say they are looking for?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does Swift's dialogue contribute to the following areas?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1980s? How does Swift express these concerns?
2) How would Swift have to change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about life in '80s Britain:
1) The Mercedes.
2) Family life.
This section contains 1,350 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)