|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What town do the friends drive through at the beginning of this section?
2. What did Vince want to call his business?
3. What color legs does Ray say the nurse has?
4. What is the name of Ray's daughter?
5. What is Jack's nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Ray's life like after the war?
2. Why do the men feel good as they head towards Margate?
3. What reason does Ray give for Amy not coming on the trip?
4. What does Vic have with him?
5. How did Vince rebel against Jack?
6. How did Vince think differently to Jack?
7. What fond memory does Ray have of his father?
8. How did Vic know Jack was coming to say something important when he walked towards his shop?
9. Who do the friends toast in the pub?
10. How did Ray get his nickname of Lucky?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Swift use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of one of the following jobs: butcher, insurance worker, undertaker and car salesman.
1) What kind of person would be best suited to the job?
2) In what way did the character in the book have the right characteristics to succeed in that job? Was it the perfect job for him or would he have been more suited to something else?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Ray's divorce affected one of the following areas in his life:
2) Social life.
3) Intimate relationships.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)