|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money does Jack ask Vince to lend him?
2. What color hair does the nurse have?
3. Why does Ray think Carol is upset that Susie is leaving?
4. What is the name of the horse Ray puts money on?
5. What does Ray say is almost as blue as the car?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Vince say he hated his father for doing?
2. What was Ray's life like after the war?
3. What fond memory does Ray have of his father?
4. What had Jack and his wife planned to do before Jack died?
5. Why was Vince getting teased at school?
6. How did Vic know Jack was coming to say something important when he walked towards his shop?
7. How did Ray raise money to pay for Susie's plane ticket?
8. What reason does Ray give for Amy not coming on the trip?
9. What conversation does Vince remember having with Jack?
10. What conversation does Ray remember having with Jack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Away from the main character examine the way Swift uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Pick a character from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1980s? How does Swift express these concerns?
2) How would Swift have to change the novel if it was set in today's society?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)