|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ray think Carol is upset that Susie is leaving?
2. When does Ray say he did all of his traveling?
3. What does Ray say is almost as blue as the car?
4. Where does Jack make Vince sit?
5. Where does the traffic start slowing to a crawl?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Ray's life like after the war?
2. How did Ray get his nickname of Lucky?
3. What conversation does Ray remember having with Jack's father, Ronnie?
4. How did Vince think differently to Jack?
5. What reason does Ray give for Amy not coming on the trip?
6. Who do the friends toast in the pub?
7. What does Vince say he hated his father for doing?
8. What does Vic have with him?
9. Why do the men feel good as they head towards Margate?
10. What does Ray talk to the bartender about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and examine it what expresses about life in '80s Britain:
1) The Mercedes.
2) Family life.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Swift's writing style. How would you describe Swift's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does Swift's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of one of the following jobs: butcher, insurance worker, undertaker and car salesman.
1) What kind of person would be best suited to the job?
2) In what way did the character in the book have the right characteristics to succeed in that job? Was it the perfect job for him or would he have been more suited to something else?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)