|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Vince become during the sixties?
2. What continent did Ray serve in during the war?
3. What does Viv have the benefit of in the navy?
4. What was the name of Ray's wife?
5. What is Jack's nickname?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened between Ray and Carol when Susie left?
2. How did Vic know Jack was coming to say something important when he walked towards his shop?
3. What had Jack and his wife planned to do before Jack died?
4. Why do the men feel good as they head towards Margate?
5. What does Ray talk to the bartender about?
6. Why was Amy disappointed in Jack?
7. What was special about at an earlier time in the Coach and Horses in 1984?
8. What does Vic say about his profession in this section?
9. Why did Vince fight in school?
10. What big news did Susie tell Ray?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1) What were the main concerns during the 1980s? How does Swift express these concerns?
2) How would Swift have to change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the following people and outline Jack's influence on his or her life:
Essay Topic 3
Swift is said to have used Faulkner's As I Lay Dying as his model for Last Orders. Compare As I Lay Dying to the novel. What comparisons can be drawn between Last Orders and the As I Lay Dying? Why did Swift choose Faulkner's book as his model for Last Orders?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)