|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ray think is the healthiest of all the friends?
2. What famous attraction stands opposite St. Thomas's?
3. What did Vince become during the sixties?
4. Where does Ray say Vince has just come from?
5. Who does Lenny ask Ray about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Ray's life like after the war?
2. How do the characters cope climbing up the hill?
3. How did Vince feel about giving money to Jack?
4. How does Lenny react when Vince leaves behind Jack's remains?
5. What does Ray think about his and his friends health?
6. Why did Ray refuse to sell Jack his camper van?
7. What does Ray talk to the bartender about?
8. Why does Ray think insurance is similar to gambling?
9. How did Amy meet Jack?
10. What big news did Susie tell Ray?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme.
2) Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of one of the following jobs: butcher, insurance worker, undertaker and car salesman.
1) What kind of person would be best suited to the job?
2) In what way did the character in the book have the right characteristics to succeed in that job? Was it the perfect job for him or would he have been more suited to something else?
This section contains 1,415 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)