|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of car did Vince buy when he came out of the army?
2. What kind of job did Ray's father want him to get?
3. What is Striclkand's job?
4. What continent did Ray serve in during the war?
5. What kind of business did Ray's father own?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Ray raise money to pay for Susie's plane ticket?
2. What does jack ask Vince for at the hospital?
3. Why was Amy disappointed in Jack?
4. How did Vince change after coming back from the army?
5. Why did Vince start to feel guilt during the trips to the seaside?
6. How did Vince think differently to Jack?
7. Why was Vince getting teased at school?
8. How did Vic know Jack was coming to say something important when he walked towards his shop?
9. How does Lenny goad Vince in this chapter?
10. What does Vic say about his profession in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Swift's writing style. How would you describe Swift's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does Swift's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the time period? How does Swift use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Swift's life. In what way is his life and personality is reflected in the book? Does he identify with any of the characters?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)