|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does Ray say always has clean hands?
2. Where does Jack make Vince sit?
3. Who does Lenny call Big Boy?
4. Why was Amy disappointed in Jack?
5. What kind of tips does Lenny say Ray gives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ray think about his and his friends health?
2. How did Ray get his nickname of Lucky?
3. What conversation does Ray remember having with Jack's father, Ronnie?
4. How did Vince rebel against Jack?
5. How did Ray raise money to pay for Susie's plane ticket?
6. Why was Vince getting teased at school?
7. What reason does Ray give for Amy not coming on the trip?
8. What does Vic have with him?
9. What conversation does Vince remember having with Jack?
10. What conversation does Ray remember having with Jack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Away from the main character examine the way Swift uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of one of the following jobs: butcher, insurance worker, undertaker and car salesman.
1) What kind of person would be best suited to the job?
2) In what way did the character in the book have the right characteristics to succeed in that job? Was it the perfect job for him or would he have been more suited to something else?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure; Exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)