|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What made June's home look like an institution?
(a) Bars on the windows
(b) The residents
(c) A payphone
(d) A chef's kitchen
2. What month does the story take place in?
3. What does Ray think about when he looks at the memorial?
(d) His ex-wife
4. Who does Lenny say got his daughter pregnant?
5. What does Vince stop the car next to?
(a) A monument
(b) A farmhouse
(c) A field
(d) A public footpath
6. What is Ray's last rule of gambling?
(a) Never bet on a losing streak
(b) Don't bet around criminals
(c) You can blow all the rules if you are lucky
(d) Don't bet on an injured horse
7. How did Vince sell out Lenny's daughter?
(a) He never paid back the money she lent him
(b) He ran away from her on their wedding day
(c) He robbed her house
(d) He turned in her boyfriend
8. Which character tries to keep the peace between Lenny and Vince?
(a) The barmaid
9. Who does Ray fantasize about giving his winnings to?
10. Which two characters are badly mud stained?
(a) Ray and Vic
(b) Lenny and Vic
(c) Lenny and Vince
(d) Vince and Ray
11. What does Lenny berate Vince for doing?
(a) Leaving Jack
(d) Not marrying his daughter
12. How is Mandy related to Neville?
(a) Her father
(b) Her uncle
(c) Her brother
(d) Her step father
13. What do the men see out in the water?
(a) A cruise liner
(b) A yacht
(c) A dead whale
(d) The jetty
14. Why does Amy say she hated Jack?
(a) He beat her
(b) He never wanted for anything
(c) He was poor
(d) He wrote off June
15. What killed Vince's parents?
(a) A bomb
(b) The plague
(c) A German gunner
(d) A truck
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Vic see strolling with Amy?
2. What was the name of the horse Ray placed a bet on for Jack?
3. Where did Ray ask Amy to accompany him to?
4. Who does Ray have to grab onto for support?
5. Why did Jack have to close the Butcher's shop?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)