|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bocharev want to help Natalya and her father?
2. How does Mack slow down the men following him in Chapter 39?
3. Whose loyalty does Zamatev begin to question in this section?
4. How does Ostap convince the men to help him find Mack?
5. Why is Mack unable to hunt as often as he would like in Chapter 36?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Natayla's trip through the taiga in this section?
2. How does Mack try to confuse Alekhin?
3. Why does Mack think the boulder trap that breaks the man's leg is better than the others?
4. How does Mack stop the soldiers after him in this section?
5. What do Baronas and Natayla plan to do?
6. Why does Kyra think Ostap is a good choice in assisting with the tracking?
7. What problems is Alekhin having with Zamatev in this section?
8. What problems is Mack having in this chapter?
9. What mistake has Zamatev not only made, but also continues to make?
10. What problem does Zamatev have with Kyra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
How does Mack escape the soldiers after him? What does Mack's attitude towards the soldiers reveal about his character?
Essay Topic 3
What is Ostap's role in the novel? How does Ostap's character provide a contrast to Mack's character? What does Ostap's character highlight about Mack's character? How would the story change if Ostap was not a character in the novel?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)