|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the soldier who falls off the rock trap Mack set hurt himself?
2. Who tries to warn the men of the avalanche?
3. Who takes Zamatev to the village to find Mack?
4. Where does Kyra say she can go to get more help?
5. Who does Natalya meet in the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems is Alekhin having with Zamatev in this section?
2. What problem does Zamatev have with Kyra?
3. What does Mack learn from the helicopter pilot?
4. Why don't Natalya and Baronas trust Bocharev?
5. Describe Natayla's trip through the taiga in this section?
6. How does Mack escape the soldiers at the end of the chapter?
7. What does Alekhin learn about Mack's habits?
8. How does Mack lead one of Alekhin's men onto the ice?
9. What mistake has Zamatev not only made, but also continues to make?
10. Why do Natayla and her father think they are in danger at the end of this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author represent the relationship between Russia and America? What does this representation say about 1950s society at the time?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Mack's character to the person he is at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Mack hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Mack's ideas about life?
3. How has Mack's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
How does Mack escape the soldiers after him? What does Mack's attitude towards the soldiers reveal about his character?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)