|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Alekhin decide to track Mack down from?
2. Where does Mack think he should hide during the winter?
3. How is Ostap related to Kyra?
4. Why does Kyra want Ostap to help her?
5. What is the name of the official who pulls up outside the Baronas' cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mack think the boulder trap that breaks the man's leg is better than the others?
2. How does Mack escape the soldiers at the end of the chapter?
3. Why does Kyra think Ostap is a good choice in assisting with the tracking?
4. What problems is Alekhin having with Zamatev in this section?
5. Why do Natayla and her father think they are in danger at the end of this section?
6. Describe Natayla's trip through the taiga in this section?
7. Why does Yakov worry about Natayla?
8. How does Yakov help Natayla?
9. What does Mack learn from the helicopter pilot?
10. What problem does Zamatev have with Kyra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Mack's character to the person he is at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Mack hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Mack's ideas about life?
3. How has Mack's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author represent the relationship between Russia and America? What does this representation say about 1950s society at the time?
Essay Topic 3
What problems does Mack have to face in the taiga? How does he overcome these problems?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)