|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the official who pulls up outside the Baronas' cabin?
2. What does Alekhin do before he tries to find Mack?
3. Which character dies in this section?
4. What item of Mack's did Alekhin find at the helicopter crash?
5. What kind of animal does Mack kill in Chapter 24 for clothing and meat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mack think the boulder trap that breaks the man's leg is better than the others?
2. What problem does Zamatev have with Kyra?
3. Why does Botev pretend to be interested in finding Mack?
4. How does Mack try to confuse Alekhin?
5. How does Mack escape the soldiers at the end of the chapter?
6. Why does Yakov worry about Natayla?
7. Why is Mack worried about the soldiers in this section?
8. What problems is Mack having in this chapter?
9. Why do Natayla and her father think they are in danger at the end of this section?
10. What do Baronas and Natayla plan to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Mack's Indian identity.
1. How does Mack's Indian heritage help him in the novel?
2. What does it suggest about America in the fifties that a Native American could be so loyal towards the USA.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)