|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Natalya meet in the city?
2. What does Mack decides he needs to stay to survive?
3. Why does Mack decide to help Yakov?
4. Why does Yakov think Baronas will not be much use to his daughter?
5. Which character has spent his or her's entire life in hiding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems is Mack having in this chapter?
2. How does Yakov help Natayla?
3. Why does Botev pretend to be interested in finding Mack?
4. Why does Mack decide to rescue Yakov?
5. Describe Natayla's trip through the taiga in this section?
6. How does Mack try to confuse Alekhin?
7. What problem does Zamatev have with Kyra?
8. How does Zhikarev change his plans?
9. What do Baronas and Natayla plan to do?
10. Why do Natayla and her father think they are in danger at the end of this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine violence in the book.
1. How do the characters in the book view violence?
2. Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that the author portrays?
3. How did the public react to the book's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to a similar book today?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following statements and write an argument for or against it.
1. Mack cannot be regarded as a hero because he kills many people and often with no real reason.
2. The novel presents Indians as savages.
3. The author misrepresents Russian culture to make America look better.
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)