|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alekhin do before he tries to find Mack?
2. Which character has spent his or her's entire life in hiding?
3. What does the pilot say is Yakov's current location?
4. What is the name of the man in charge of the town in Chapter 26?
5. Which character dies in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problem does Zamatev have with Kyra?
2. Why is Mack worried about the soldiers in this section?
3. Why does Baronas want to leave?
4. What do Baronas and Natayla plan to do?
5. How does Mack escape the soldiers at the end of the chapter?
6. How does Mack lead one of Alekhin's men onto the ice?
7. Why does Botev pretend to be interested in finding Mack?
8. Why do Natayla and her father think they are in danger at the end of this section?
9. How does Peshkov die?
10. What does Mack learn from the helicopter pilot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Mack's character to the person he is at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Mack hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Mack's ideas about life?
3. How has Mack's character changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)