|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't Natalya and her father want to wait for Mack at Plastun Bay?
2. How does Ostap agree to help Kyra?
3. Where does Kyra say she can go to get more help?
4. Which character has spent his or her's entire life in hiding?
5. Which character dies in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Zhikarev change his plans?
2. Describe Natayla's trip through the taiga in this section?
3. How does Mack escape the soldiers at the end of the chapter?
4. How does Peshkov die?
5. Why does Mack think the boulder trap that breaks the man's leg is better than the others?
6. What does Mack learn from the helicopter pilot?
7. Why don't Natalya and Baronas trust Bocharev?
8. What problems is Alekhin having with Zamatev in this section?
9. Why is Mack worried about the soldiers in this section?
10. What mistake has Zamatev not only made, but also continues to make?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
How much do the students think that L"Amour's representation of the Soviets is effected by political matters at the time? How do the students think a Russian writer would have represented the Americans in this story?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)