|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Mack does to slow the soldiers down?
2. How does Peshkov hurt himself in Chapter 33?
3. Who takes Zamatev to the village to find Mack?
4. What does the helicopter pilot say is his mission?
5. Which character has spent his or her's entire life in hiding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Baronas want to leave?
2. How does Zhikarev change his plans?
3. What problems is Mack having in this chapter?
4. Why does Kyra think Ostap is a good choice in assisting with the tracking?
5. Why does Botev pretend to be interested in finding Mack?
6. Why does Mack think the boulder trap that breaks the man's leg is better than the others?
7. How does Peshkov die?
8. How does Mack lead one of Alekhin's men onto the ice?
9. Describe Natayla's trip through the taiga in this section?
10. Why is Mack worried about the soldiers in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Mack's character to the person he is at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Mack hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Mack's ideas about life?
3. How has Mack's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)