|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ostap convince the men to help him find Mack?
2. What does Mack decides he needs to stay to survive?
3. Which character has spent his or her's entire life in hiding?
4. Why do Natalya and her father decide to cross the border on their own?
5. Whose loyalty does Zamatev begin to question in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems is Mack having in this chapter?
2. Why don't Natalya and Baronas trust Bocharev?
3. How does Mack escape the soldiers at the end of the chapter?
4. Why does Mack decide to rescue Yakov?
5. What do Baronas and Natayla plan to do?
6. How does Yakov help Natayla?
7. How does Peshkov die?
8. How does Mack stop the soldiers after him in this section?
9. How does Mack try to confuse Alekhin?
10. Why is Mack worried about the soldiers in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Ostap's role in the novel? How does Ostap's character provide a contrast to Mack's character? What does Ostap's character highlight about Mack's character? How would the story change if Ostap was not a character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What are the similarities between Mack and Alekhin? How does Mack manage to overcome Alekhin despite that are equal in ability?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following statements and write an argument for or against it.
1. Mack cannot be regarded as a hero because he kills many people and often with no real reason.
2. The novel presents Indians as savages.
3. The author misrepresents Russian culture to make America look better.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)