|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mack land the helicopter?
2. Who do Natalya and her father think they can ask for help?
3. Why are Natalya and her father so worried at the end of the section?
4. What is the first thing Mack does to slow the soldiers down?
5. Who does Zhikarev stay with when he gets to the Chinese border?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kyra think Ostap is a good choice in assisting with the tracking?
2. Why don't Natalya and Baronas trust Bocharev?
3. Why do Natayla and her father think they are in danger at the end of this section?
4. Why does Botev pretend to be interested in finding Mack?
5. What problem does Zamatev have with Kyra?
6. What does Mack learn from the helicopter pilot?
7. How does Peshkov die?
8. Why does Yakov worry about Natayla?
9. How does Mack stop the soldiers after him in this section?
10. Why is Mack worried about the soldiers in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author writes The Last of the Breed in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 2
What is Ostap's role in the novel? How does Ostap's character provide a contrast to Mack's character? What does Ostap's character highlight about Mack's character? How would the story change if Ostap was not a character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)