|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mack use the mountain goat for?
2. Where does Kyra say she can go to get more help?
3. Who does Natalya meet in the city?
4. How does the soldier who falls off the rock trap Mack set hurt himself?
5. Who is Mack constantly thinking about as he battles the cold?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Natayla and her father think they are in danger at the end of this section?
2. How does Zhikarev change his plans?
3. Why does Botev pretend to be interested in finding Mack?
4. Why does Kyra think Ostap is a good choice in assisting with the tracking?
5. Why does Yakov worry about Natayla?
6. Why does Mack decide to rescue Yakov?
7. Why is Mack worried about the soldiers in this section?
8. How does Mack lead one of Alekhin's men onto the ice?
9. Why don't Natalya and Baronas trust Bocharev?
10. Describe Natayla's trip through the taiga in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following statements and write an argument for or against it.
1. Mack cannot be regarded as a hero because he kills many people and often with no real reason.
2. The novel presents Indians as savages.
3. The author misrepresents Russian culture to make America look better.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Mack's character to the person he is at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Mack hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Mack's ideas about life?
3. How has Mack's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Mack's Indian identity.
1. How does Mack's Indian heritage help him in the novel?
2. What does it suggest about America in the fifties that a Native American could be so loyal towards the USA.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)