|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of animal does Mack kill in Chapter 24 for clothing and meat?
2. How do the men know that Mack passed through their camp?
3. Why do Natalya and her father decide to cross the border on their own?
4. What is the name of the official who pulls up outside the Baronas' cabin?
5. Why does Alekhin like tracking down Mack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mack learn from the helicopter pilot?
2. How does Yakov help Natayla?
3. What mistake has Zamatev not only made, but also continues to make?
4. How does Mack try to confuse Alekhin?
5. What problems is Mack having in this chapter?
6. Describe Natayla's trip through the taiga in this section?
7. Why do Natayla and her father think they are in danger at the end of this section?
8. Why does Mack think the boulder trap that breaks the man's leg is better than the others?
9. Why don't Natalya and Baronas trust Bocharev?
10. Why does Kyra think Ostap is a good choice in assisting with the tracking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
What is Ostap's role in the novel? How does Ostap's character provide a contrast to Mack's character? What does Ostap's character highlight about Mack's character? How would the story change if Ostap was not a character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)