|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Zhikarev to the Chinese border in this section?
2. What is the name of the official who pulls up outside the Baronas' cabin?
3. What is Ruskovsky's rank?
4. Who tries to warn the men of the avalanche?
5. Which of Kyra's relatives are arrested in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Compare Mack's character to the person he is at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Mack hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Mack's ideas about life?
3. How has Mack's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)