|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who do Natalya and her father think they can ask for help?
2. Where does Alekhin decide to track Mack down from?
3. What does Mack use the mountain goat for?
4. Who is Mack constantly thinking about as he battles the cold?
5. What does Mack wear on his feet to confuse Alekhin and his men?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why don't Natalya and Baronas trust Bocharev?
2. Why does Mack decide to rescue Yakov?
3. How does Mack stop the soldiers after him in this section?
4. How does Mack try to confuse Alekhin?
5. Why does Kyra think Ostap is a good choice in assisting with the tracking?
6. How does Zhikarev change his plans?
7. What does Alekhin learn about Mack's habits?
8. How does Mack lead one of Alekhin's men onto the ice?
9. Describe Natayla's trip through the taiga in this section?
10. Why do Natayla and her father think they are in danger at the end of this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
What are the similarities between Mack and Alekhin? How does Mack manage to overcome Alekhin despite that are equal in ability?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Mack's character to the person he is at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Mack hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Mack's ideas about life?
3. How has Mack's character changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)