|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ostap convince the men to help him find Mack?
2. Which character dies in this section?
3. Who do Natalya and her father think they can ask for help?
4. Who does Zhikarev stay with when he gets to the Chinese border?
5. What is the first thing Mack does to slow the soldiers down?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Yakov worry about Natayla?
2. Why does Baronas want to leave?
3. What does Mack learn from the helicopter pilot?
4. What problems is Mack having in this chapter?
5. Why does Mack think the boulder trap that breaks the man's leg is better than the others?
6. How does Mack try to confuse Alekhin?
7. How does Zhikarev change his plans?
8. Why does Kyra think Ostap is a good choice in assisting with the tracking?
9. How does Mack escape the soldiers at the end of the chapter?
10. How does Mack stop the soldiers after him in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Mack's character to the person he is at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Mack hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Mack's ideas about life?
3. How has Mack's character changed by the end of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
What are the similarities between Mack and Alekhin? How does Mack manage to overcome Alekhin despite that are equal in ability?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)