|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mack cause the avalanche?
2. Who will Natalya talk to about Mack when she arrives in America?
3. Which of the following two characters helps Mack to rescue Yakov?
4. What kind of animal does Mack kill in Chapter 24 for clothing and meat?
5. Why do Natalya and her father decide to cross the border on their own?
Essay Topic 1
How does the author represent the relationship between Russia and America? What does this representation say about 1950s society at the time?
Essay Topic 2
What are the similarities between Mack and Alekhin? How does Mack manage to overcome Alekhin despite that are equal in ability?
Essay Topic 3
How much do the students think that L"Amour's representation of the Soviets is effected by political matters at the time? How do the students think a Russian writer would have represented the Americans in this story?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)