|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mack hide in Chapter 29?
2. What is Peshkov looking for in Chapter 33?
3. How is Ostap related to Kyra?
4. Where does Mack think he should hide during the winter?
5. How does Ostap convince the men to help him find Mack?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why don't Natalya and Baronas trust Bocharev?
2. Describe Natayla's trip through the taiga in this section?
3. How does Yakov help Natayla?
4. What problems is Alekhin having with Zamatev in this section?
5. Why does Baronas want to leave?
6. How does Mack lead one of Alekhin's men onto the ice?
7. Why does Botev pretend to be interested in finding Mack?
8. What does Alekhin learn about Mack's habits?
9. Why does Mack think the boulder trap that breaks the man's leg is better than the others?
10. What problems is Mack having in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Stephen's death affect the lives of the characters? How would the story have been different if Stephen had lived?
Essay Topic 2
Examine violence in the book.
1. How do the characters in the book view violence?
2. Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that the author portrays?
3. How did the public react to the book's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to a similar book today?
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 861 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)