|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Alekhin decide to track Mack down from?
2. How do the men know that Mack passed through their camp?
3. How is Ostap related to Kyra?
4. Who will Natalya talk to about Mack when she arrives in America?
5. What is the name of the man helping Natalya and Zhikarev across the border?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Yakov worry about Natayla?
2. Why does Kyra think Ostap is a good choice in assisting with the tracking?
3. Why does Mack think the boulder trap that breaks the man's leg is better than the others?
4. How does Peshkov die?
5. What mistake has Zamatev not only made, but also continues to make?
6. What do Baronas and Natayla plan to do?
7. Why do Natayla and her father think they are in danger at the end of this section?
8. How does Mack stop the soldiers after him in this section?
9. Why does Baronas want to leave?
10. Why is Mack worried about the soldiers in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems does Mack have to face in the taiga? How does he overcome these problems?
Essay Topic 2
How does Alekhin manage to track Mack down? How does it help him that he also has Indian blood?
Essay Topic 3
What is Ostap's role in the novel? How does Ostap's character provide a contrast to Mack's character? What does Ostap's character highlight about Mack's character? How would the story change if Ostap was not a character in the novel?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)