|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the quickest way out of Siberia?
2. What advantage in grooming do most Indians have?
3. What new tracks does he find as he continues south?
4. Who is Pennington suspicious of?
5. What does Joe use to cross Olekma?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Yakov on the run from the Soviets?
2. How does Zhikacev know Stegman?
3. Why does the colonel think Mack would be interested in meeting Alekhin?
4. Why does Mack decide to leave the village?
5. Why doesn't Mack want to get close to Natayla?
6. Why does Mack think Zamatev is good at his job?
7. Why is a bow so important for Mack?
8. What does Mack remember about the Siberian terrain?
9. What problems does Mack have at the beginning of Chapter 6?
10. How does Mack prepare to leave the village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Alekhin manage to track Mack down? How does it help him that he also has Indian blood?
Essay Topic 2
What is Ostap's role in the novel? How does Ostap's character provide a contrast to Mack's character? What does Ostap's character highlight about Mack's character? How would the story change if Ostap was not a character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)