|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Joe scared he might never have again?
2. Where does Mack tell Stephen to meet him in Chapter 17?
3. What happens at more than fifty below?
4. What does Joe use to cross Olekma?
5. Where does Kyra think Zhikarev is heading?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Mack want to get close to Natayla?
2. Describe the cells the guards take Mack back to?
3. What is Mack's routine at the village?
4. What does Mack remember about the Siberian terrain?
5. What does Mack do with the reindeer he kills?
6. Why does the colonel think Mack would be interested in meeting Alekhin?
7. What does Mack see when he steps into the sunlight?
8. How did Mack know what to do with the locks the minute he saw them?
9. How does Yakov help Mack?
10. What information does Pennington give Zamatev about Mack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Stephen's death affect the lives of the characters? How would the story have been different if Stephen had lived?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Mack's character to the person he is at the beginning of the book to the he is at the end.
1. What did Mack hope to achieve at the beginning of the book?
2. What events changes Mack's ideas about life?
3. How has Mack's character changed by the end of the book?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)