|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Yakov lower his gun?
2. Why does Zhikarev excite Kyra?
3. What does Joe realize he needs to actually escape Siberia?
4. Who is Pennington suspicious of?
5. What rank does Zamatev want by fifty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Pennington give Zamatev about Mack?
2. What problem does Zamatev have with Kyra?
3. What mistake has Zamatev not only made, but also continues to make?
4. Why does Natayla want to make Mack a shirt?
5. Why is Yakov on the run from the Soviets?
6. In what way is Mack cautious when approaching the woman?
7. Describe Natayla's trip through the taiga in this section?
8. Why does Kyra want to change the guards at the Chinese border?
9. Why is Natayla lucky when she goes to find Pontin?
10. Why does Ostap inform on Mack?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1950s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
What is Ostap's role in the novel? How does Ostap's character provide a contrast to Mack's character? What does Ostap's character highlight about Mack's character? How would the story change if Ostap was not a character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How does Alekhin manage to track Mack down? How does it help him that he also has Indian blood?
This section contains 1,378 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)