|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the engineer studying?
2. What did the Alaskan Indian carry over Chilhoot Pass?
3. Which berries do little for Joe's hunger?
4. What happens at more than fifty below?
5. What new tracks does he find as he continues south?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mack remember about the Siberian terrain?
2. What does Colonel Zamatev already know about Mack?
3. How does Mack prepare to leave the village?
4. How does Zhikacev know Stegman?
5. What problems does Mack have at the beginning of Chapter 6?
6. Why does Mack decide to leave the village?
7. Why is Mack worried about Alekhin?
8. Why does the colonel think Mack would be interested in meeting Alekhin?
9. How does Mack anger Peshkov in this section?
10. In what way is Mack cautious when approaching the woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following statements and write an argument for or against it.
1. Mack cannot be regarded as a hero because he kills many people and often with no real reason.
2. The novel presents Indians as savages.
3. The author misrepresents Russian culture to make America look better.
Essay Topic 2
How does Alekhin manage to track Mack down? How does it help him that he also has Indian blood?
Essay Topic 3
How are the following people helpful in helping Mack survive?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)