|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advantage in grooming do most Indians have?
2. Why is Zhikarev so worried?
3. What did the Alaskan Indian carry over Chilhoot Pass?
4. Why does Evgeny Zhilarev wear slippers?
5. Which arrow finally kills the bear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mack worried about Alekhin?
2. Describe the cells the guards take Mack back to?
3. Why does Mack decide to leave the village?
4. What information does Pennington give Zamatev about Mack?
5. What is Zamatev's relationship with Kyra?
6. How does Zhikacev know Stegman?
7. Why does Mack want to find his own place to stay?
8. Why does Kyra want to change the guards at the Chinese border?
9. Why does Mack think Zamatev is good at his job?
10. Why is Mack not worried about Peshkov in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Ostap's role in the novel? How does Ostap's character provide a contrast to Mack's character? What does Ostap's character highlight about Mack's character? How would the story change if Ostap was not a character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)