|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joe think mine workers lived in the old building?
2. What happens at more than fifty below?
3. Where does Kyra think Zhikarev is heading?
4. Who figures out that Mack is behind the helicopter crash?
5. How does the settlement ensure its survival?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Pennington give Zamatev about Mack?
2. What problems does Mack have at the beginning of Chapter 6?
3. How does Mack prepare to leave the village?
4. How does Mack cause the helicopter to crash?
5. Why does Mack think Zamatev is good at his job?
6. How does Zhikacev know Stegman?
7. Describe the cells the guards take Mack back to?
8. In what way is Mack cautious when approaching the woman?
9. Why is Mack not worried about Peshkov in this section?
10. Why does Peshkov hate Mack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Ostap's role in the novel? How does Ostap's character provide a contrast to Mack's character? What does Ostap's character highlight about Mack's character? How would the story change if Ostap was not a character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)