|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Zamatev's roots?
2. Who does Yakov say is searching for Mack?
3. Why did Joe sleep so poorly?
4. Who figures out that Mack is behind the helicopter crash?
5. Why did the Indians lose to the white man according to Joe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems does Mack have at the beginning of Chapter 6?
2. In what way is Mack cautious when approaching the woman?
3. Why is a bow so important for Mack?
4. Why does Peshkov hate Mack?
5. Why does Natayla want to make Mack a shirt?
6. How did Mack know what to do with the locks the minute he saw them?
7. How does Mack prepare to leave the village?
8. How does Mack anger Peshkov in this section?
9. Why doesn't Mack want to get close to Natayla?
10. Why does Kyra want to change the guards at the Chinese border?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Mack's Indian identity.
1. How does Mack's Indian heritage help him in the novel?
2. What does it suggest about America in the fifties that a Native American could be so loyal towards the USA.
Essay Topic 2
How does Alekhin manage to track Mack down? How does it help him that he also has Indian blood?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)