|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Evgeny Zhilarev wear slippers?
2. Which tribe did the Sioux defeat for control of the Black Hills?
3. What does Mack use to kill the helicopter pilot?
4. Why does Joe think mine workers lived in the old building?
5. When do the Indian people kill a bear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mack think Zamatev is good at his job?
2. Why does Kyra want to change the guards at the Chinese border?
3. What is Zamatev's relationship with Kyra?
4. How does Zhikacev know Stegman?
5. Why does Mack decide to leave the village?
6. Why is Yakov on the run from the Soviets?
7. How does Mack anger Peshkov in this section?
8. What does Mack remember about the Siberian terrain?
9. How does Mack convince the man to let him go?
10. Why does Natayla want to make Mack a shirt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Ostap's role in the novel? How does Ostap's character provide a contrast to Mack's character? What does Ostap's character highlight about Mack's character? How would the story change if Ostap was not a character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1950s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
What problems does Mack have to face in the taiga? How does he overcome these problems?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)