|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Joe his non-Indian heritage?
2. How big is Siberia?
3. Why has the settlement never been found?
4. Why does the rest of the village want Mack to stay?
5. What is the name of the man who tortured Zamatev during the war?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the colonel think Mack would be interested in meeting Alekhin?
2. Why is Natayla lucky when she goes to find Pontin?
3. Why does Kyra want to change the guards at the Chinese border?
4. How does Mack lead one of Alekhin's men onto the ice?
5. How does Mack escape?
6. What problem does Zamatev have with Kyra?
7. Summarize the book.
8. Why does Baronas want to leave?
9. How does Mack threaten Zamatev at the end of the book?
10. How does Mack cause the helicopter to crash?
Essay Topic 1
How does Alekhin manage to track Mack down? How does it help him that he also has Indian blood?
Essay Topic 2
Examine violence in the book.
1. How do the characters in the book view violence?
2. Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that the author portrays?
3. How did the public react to the book's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to a similar book today?
Essay Topic 3
What is Ostap's role in the novel? How does Ostap's character provide a contrast to Mack's character? What does Ostap's character highlight about Mack's character? How would the story change if Ostap was not a character in the novel?
This section contains 1,342 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)