|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Zamatev's coat so unadorned?
2. Where does Mack meet Natalya in Chapter 16?
3. Why did the Indians lose to the white man according to Joe?
4. What is the name of the man who tortured Zamatev during the war?
5. How big is Siberia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is a bow so important for Mack?
2. Why does Kyra want to change the guards at the Chinese border?
3. How does Mack prepare to leave the village?
4. What does Mack do with the bear he sees?
5. Why is Mack worried about Alekhin?
6. Why doesn't Mack want to get close to Natayla?
7. What problems does Mack have at the beginning of Chapter 6?
8. How does Yakov help Mack?
9. In what way is Mack cautious when approaching the woman?
10. Why does Peshkov hate Mack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems does Mack have to face in the taiga? How does he overcome these problems?
Essay Topic 2
The author writes The Last of the Breed in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
What are the similarities between Mack and Alekhin? How does Mack manage to overcome Alekhin despite that are equal in ability?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)