|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe long for after killing the bear?
2. Why does Zhikarev excite Kyra?
3. Which region would provide Joe more game?
4. What did the Alaskan Indian carry over Chilhoot Pass?
5. Why did the Indians lose to the white man according to Joe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mack do with the bear he sees?
2. Why does Peshkov hate Mack?
3. Why does Kyra want to change the guards at the Chinese border?
4. What is Mack's routine at the village?
5. Why is Mack not worried about Peshkov in this section?
6. How does Yakov help Mack?
7. Why is a bow so important for Mack?
8. Why does Mack decide to leave the village?
9. How does Zhikacev know Stegman?
10. In what way is Mack cautious when approaching the woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Mack's Indian identity.
1. How does Mack's Indian heritage help him in the novel?
2. What does it suggest about America in the fifties that a Native American could be so loyal towards the USA.
Essay Topic 3
What problems does Mack have to face in the taiga? How does he overcome these problems?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)