|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far away is Joe when Alekhin visits Vanyushin?
2. Who is Pennington suspicious of?
3. Where is Shepilov looking for Joe?
4. What does Joe use to cross Olekma?
5. What is a stool pigeon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mack prepare to leave the village?
2. What is Mack's routine at the village?
3. What problems does Mack have at the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. How does Yakov help Mack?
5. What information does Pennington give Zamatev about Mack?
6. What does Mack see when he steps into the sunlight?
7. Why does Kyra want to change the guards at the Chinese border?
8. Why does Mack decide to leave the village?
9. In what way is Mack cautious when approaching the woman?
10. How did Mack know what to do with the locks the minute he saw them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How much do the students think that L"Amour's representation of the Soviets is effected by political matters at the time? How do the students think a Russian writer would have represented the Americans in this story?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following statements and write an argument for or against it.
1. Mack cannot be regarded as a hero because he kills many people and often with no real reason.
2. The novel presents Indians as savages.
3. The author misrepresents Russian culture to make America look better.
Essay Topic 3
Examine violence in the book.
1. How do the characters in the book view violence?
2. Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that the author portrays?
3. How did the public react to the book's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to a similar book today?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)