|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shepilov not have in Kyra's eyes?
2. What does Joe long for after killing the bear?
3. Who gives Joe his non-Indian heritage?
4. What new tracks does he find as he continues south?
5. What puzzles Jack about Yakov?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Colonel Zamatev already know about Mack?
2. Why does Mack decide to leave the village?
3. Why does Mack decide to rescue Yakov?
4. Why is a bow so important for Mack?
5. Why doesn't Mack want to get close to Natayla?
6. Why don't Natalya and Baronas trust Bocharev?
7. What problems does Mack have at the beginning of Chapter 6?
8. What problems is Alekhin having with Zamatev in this section?
9. How does Mack prepare to leave the village?
10. How does Yakov help Natayla?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems does Mack have to face in the taiga? How does he overcome these problems?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author represent the relationship between Russia and America? What does this representation say about 1950s society at the time?
This section contains 1,431 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)