|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joe find it so easy to escape his cell?
2. What are Zamatev's roots?
3. How does Mack make sure he can leave the village quickly if needed?
4. What does Mac say he will do to Peshkov if he tries to anything again?
5. How does a Sioux prefer to die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Yakov on the run from the Soviets?
2. Why does Mack decide to leave the village?
3. Why does Natayla want to make Mack a shirt?
4. How does Mack convince the man to let him go?
5. In what way is Mack cautious when approaching the woman?
6. Why doesn't Mack want to get close to Natayla?
7. How did Mack know what to do with the locks the minute he saw them?
8. What does Mack remember about the Siberian terrain?
9. Why does the colonel think Mack would be interested in meeting Alekhin?
10. What does Mack do with the bear he sees?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine violence in the book.
1. How do the characters in the book view violence?
2. Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that the author portrays?
3. How did the public react to the book's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to a similar book today?
Essay Topic 2
How much do the students think that L"Amour's representation of the Soviets is effected by political matters at the time? How do the students think a Russian writer would have represented the Americans in this story?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)