|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many moccasins could Joe make from the reindeer?
2. Why does Evgeny Zhilarev wear slippers?
3. How has Kyra made sure Zhikrev can't get into China?
4. What does the undamaged nature of the new furs suggest?
5. What did the Alaskan Indian carry over Chilhoot Pass?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Pennington give Zamatev about Mack?
2. How did Mack know what to do with the locks the minute he saw them?
3. What does Mack do with the reindeer he kills?
4. What is Mack's routine at the village?
5. Why does Kyra want to change the guards at the Chinese border?
6. Why doesn't Mack want to get close to Natayla?
7. Why does Mack think Zamatev is good at his job?
8. How does Mack convince the man to let him go?
9. How does Mack cause the helicopter to crash?
10. What is Zamatev's relationship with Kyra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Mack's Indian identity.
1. How does Mack's Indian heritage help him in the novel?
2. What does it suggest about America in the fifties that a Native American could be so loyal towards the USA.
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)