|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe use to cross Olekma?
2. How has Kyra made sure Zhikrev can't get into China?
3. Why does Zamatev think Kyra is the best?
4. What does Kyra think Wulff wants?
5. What characteristic annoys Zamatev when he first meets Makatozi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Natayla's trip through the taiga in this section?
2. What is Zamatev's relationship with Kyra?
3. What does Mack do with the bear he sees?
4. Why does Peshkov hate Mack?
5. How does Yakov help Mack?
6. What information does Pennington give Zamatev about Mack?
7. How did Mack know what to do with the locks the minute he saw them?
8. What does Mack see when he steps into the sunlight?
9. What is Mack's routine at the village?
10. Why is Yakov on the run from the Soviets?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1950s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 2
What is Ostap's role in the novel? How does Ostap's character provide a contrast to Mack's character? What does Ostap's character highlight about Mack's character? How would the story change if Ostap was not a character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How much do the students think that L"Amour's representation of the Soviets is effected by political matters at the time? How do the students think a Russian writer would have represented the Americans in this story?
This section contains 1,391 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)