|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mack think Alekhin will be harder to hide from?
2. How big is Siberia?
3. How does Mack make sure he can leave the village quickly if needed?
4. Where is Kyra sent?
5. What is Alekhin's pride?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mack convince the man to let him go?
2. Why does Peshkov hate Mack?
3. What problems does Mack have at the beginning of Chapter 6?
4. How does Mack anger Peshkov in this section?
5. Why is a bow so important for Mack?
6. Why does Mack decide to leave the village?
7. Why does Kyra want to change the guards at the Chinese border?
8. How does Zhikacev know Stegman?
9. How does Mack cause the helicopter to crash?
10. What is Zamatev's relationship with Kyra?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Stephen's death affect the lives of the characters? How would the story have been different if Stephen had lived?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine violence in the book.
1. How do the characters in the book view violence?
2. Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that the author portrays?
3. How did the public react to the book's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to a similar book today?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)