Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe use to cross Olekma?
2. How has Kyra made sure Zhikrev can't get into China?
3. Why does Zamatev think Kyra is the best?
4. What does Kyra think Wulff wants?
5. What characteristic annoys Zamatev when he first meets Makatozi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Natayla's trip through the taiga in this section?
2. What is Zamatev's relationship with Kyra?
3. What does Mack do with the bear he sees?
4. Why does Peshkov hate Mack?
5. How does Yakov help Mack?
6. What information does Pennington give Zamatev about Mack?
7. How did Mack know what to do with the locks the minute he saw them?
8. What does Mack see when he steps into the sunlight?
9. What is Mack's routine at the village?
10. Why is Yakov on the run from the Soviets?
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
What are the similarities between Mack and Alekhin? How does Mack manage to overcome Alekhin despite that are equal in ability?
Essay Topic 3
What is Ostap's role in the novel? How does Ostap's character provide a contrast to Mack's character? What does Ostap's character highlight about Mack's character? How would the story change if Ostap was not a character in the novel?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)