|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has the settlement never been found?
2. What happens at more than fifty below?
3. Where does Mack meet Natalya in Chapter 16?
4. What are the four virtues of a Sioux warrior?
5. Why does Joe find it so easy to escape his cell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the colonel think Mack would be interested in meeting Alekhin?
2. What does Colonel Zamatev already know about Mack?
3. Why does Mack decide to leave the village?
4. Why doesn't Mack want to get close to Natayla?
5. Why is Mack worried about Alekhin?
6. Why is a bow so important for Mack?
7. What problems does Mack have at the beginning of Chapter 6?
8. Describe the cells the guards take Mack back to?
9. What information does Pennington give Zamatev about Mack?
10. How does Mack anger Peshkov in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How much do the students think that L"Amour's representation of the Soviets is effected by political matters at the time? How do the students think a Russian writer would have represented the Americans in this story?
Essay Topic 2
How are the following people helpful in helping Mack survive?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author represent the relationship between Russia and America? What does this representation say about 1950s society at the time?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)