|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joe find it so easy to escape his cell?
2. What does Joe use to cross Olekma?
3. Where does Kyra think Zhikarev is heading?
4. What makes Talya reluctant to go to America?
5. Where does Zhikarev have an offshore account?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mack think Zamatev is good at his job?
2. How does Mack convince the man to let him go?
3. How does Mack anger Peshkov in this section?
4. What does Colonel Zamatev already know about Mack?
5. Why does Natayla want to make Mack a shirt?
6. Why does Peshkov hate Mack?
7. What information does Pennington give Zamatev about Mack?
8. Why does the colonel think Mack would be interested in meeting Alekhin?
9. How does Zhikacev know Stegman?
10. Why does Kyra want to change the guards at the Chinese border?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What problems does Mack have to face in the taiga? How does he overcome these problems?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following statements and write an argument for or against it.
1. Mack cannot be regarded as a hero because he kills many people and often with no real reason.
2. The novel presents Indians as savages.
3. The author misrepresents Russian culture to make America look better.
Essay Topic 3
Away from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)