|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Zhikarev excite Kyra?
2. What might aid Joe's dash to the forest?
3. What advantage in grooming do most Indians have?
4. How far away is Joe when Alekhin visits Vanyushin?
5. Which member of the village wants Mack to leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mack decide to leave the village?
2. How does Mack prepare to leave the village?
3. What does Colonel Zamatev already know about Mack?
4. What does Mack see when he steps into the sunlight?
5. What information does Pennington give Zamatev about Mack?
6. What does Mack remember about the Siberian terrain?
7. Why does the colonel think Mack would be interested in meeting Alekhin?
8. What does Mack do with the reindeer he kills?
9. How does Zhikacev know Stegman?
10. How does Mack convince the man to let him go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Ostap's role in the novel? How does Ostap's character provide a contrast to Mack's character? What does Ostap's character highlight about Mack's character? How would the story change if Ostap was not a character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the book's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1950s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the book if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
How does Stephen's death affect the lives of the characters? How would the story have been different if Stephen had lived?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)