|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What window do the prisoners have to talk without being spied on?
2. How does Mack make sure he can leave the village quickly if needed?
3. What is Joe scared he might never have again?
4. Why do the Soviets capture Makatozi?
5. What puzzles Jack about Yakov?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problem does Zamatev have with Kyra?
2. Why does Botev pretend to be interested in finding Mack?
3. Why does Baronas want to leave?
4. What do Baronas and Natayla plan to do?
5. How does Mack convince the man to let him go?
6. Why is Yakov on the run from the Soviets?
7. How do Natayla and Zhikarev cross the border?
8. What does Mack see when he steps into the sunlight?
9. How does Mack threaten Zamatev at the end of the book?
10. Why does Ostap inform on Mack?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the book and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
How does Stephen's death affect the lives of the characters? How would the story have been different if Stephen had lived?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Mack's Indian identity.
1. How does Mack's Indian heritage help him in the novel?
2. What does it suggest about America in the fifties that a Native American could be so loyal towards the USA.
This section contains 1,359 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)