|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mack say he will take both Natalya and her father?
2. What is a stool pigeon?
3. How does a Sioux prefer to die?
4. How does Joe dry off after his swim?
5. What is the Siberian taiga known for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Pennington give Zamatev about Mack?
2. How does Zhikacev know Stegman?
3. Why is Mack worried about Alekhin?
4. In what way is Mack cautious when approaching the woman?
5. What does Mack remember about the Siberian terrain?
6. Why does Natayla want to make Mack a shirt?
7. What does Colonel Zamatev already know about Mack?
8. Why is Mack not worried about Peshkov in this section?
9. Why does Mack think Zamatev is good at his job?
10. What does Mack do with the bear he sees?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How much do the students think that L"Amour's representation of the Soviets is effected by political matters at the time? How do the students think a Russian writer would have represented the Americans in this story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine violence in the book.
1. How do the characters in the book view violence?
2. Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that the author portrays?
3. How did the public react to the book's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to a similar book today?
Essay Topic 3
How does Alekhin manage to track Mack down? How does it help him that he also has Indian blood?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)