|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does a Sioux prefer to die?
2. Which arrow finally kills the bear?
3. What animal dislikes Joe's smell?
4. What does Joe decide can wait?
5. Where does Mack tell Stephen to meet him in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mack anger Peshkov in this section?
2. How did Mack know what to do with the locks the minute he saw them?
3. What does Mack do with the bear he sees?
4. In what way is Mack cautious when approaching the woman?
5. How does Mack prepare to leave the village?
6. What does Mack remember about the Siberian terrain?
7. What does Mack do with the reindeer he kills?
8. Why does Mack think Zamatev is good at his job?
9. Why does Mack want to find his own place to stay?
10. How does Mack convince the man to let him go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pick a character from the book and discuss his or her goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
Essay Topic 2
The author writes The Last of the Breed in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 3
How does Stephen's death affect the lives of the characters? How would the story have been different if Stephen had lived?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)