|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Shepilov not have in Kyra's eyes?
2. Why does Joe find it so easy to escape his cell?
3. What is the name of the man who tortured Zamatev during the war?
4. Where is Kyra sent?
5. Who gives Joe his non-Indian heritage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What problems does Mack have at the beginning of Chapter 6?
2. What does Colonel Zamatev already know about Mack?
3. How does Mack convince the man to let him go?
4. Why is a bow so important for Mack?
5. Why does Mack think Zamatev is good at his job?
6. How does Mack prepare to leave the village?
7. What information does Pennington give Zamatev about Mack?
8. Why does the colonel think Mack would be interested in meeting Alekhin?
9. How does Mack cause the helicopter to crash?
10. Why does Mack decide to leave the village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author writes The Last of the Breed in the third person. Why do you think the author chose to write the story in the third person? How do you think the meaning of the story would change if the author wrote it in the first person?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author represent the relationship between Russia and America? What does this representation say about 1950s society at the time?
Essay Topic 3
Examine violence in the book.
1. How do the characters in the book view violence?
2. Do the characters need to be violent to cope in the world that the author portrays?
3. How did the public react to the book's violence when it was first published? How would the public react to a similar book today?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)