|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mack tell Stephen to meet him in Chapter 17?
2. Why does Zamatev consider Major Joe to be alone?
3. Why did Joe sleep so poorly?
4. What raises Zamatev's suspicions that he is being followed?
5. Why does Joe think mine workers lived in the old building?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mack do with the reindeer he kills?
2. Why does the colonel think Mack would be interested in meeting Alekhin?
3. How does Mack cause the helicopter to crash?
4. How does Mack anger Peshkov in this section?
5. Why is Mack not worried about Peshkov in this section?
6. What is Zamatev's relationship with Kyra?
7. What does Mack remember about the Siberian terrain?
8. Why does Mack want to find his own place to stay?
9. How did Mack know what to do with the locks the minute he saw them?
10. How does Mack prepare to leave the village?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Ostap's role in the novel? How does Ostap's character provide a contrast to Mack's character? What does Ostap's character highlight about Mack's character? How would the story change if Ostap was not a character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the author's writing style. How would you describe the author's prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? What meaning does the author's style give to the story?
Essay Topic 3
How does Alekhin manage to track Mack down? How does it help him that he also has Indian blood?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)