|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mack cause the avalanche?
(a) He hits the mountainside with a club.
(b) He throws loose rocks down from a ledge.
(c) He shoots at the mountainside.
(d) He causes an animal trampede.
2. Why do Natalya and her father decide to cross the border on their own?
(a) They can't pay Bocharev.
(b) Three's a crowd.
(c) They don't have the time to wait.
(d) They can't trust Bocharev.
3. What kind of transport does Mack steal after freeing Yakov?
(a) A truck.
(b) A plane.
(c) A motorcycle.
(d) A helicopter.
4. Who does Natalya meet in the city?
5. Who takes Zhikarev to the Chinese border in this section?
(a) A truck driver.
(b) A taxi driver.
(c) An official.
(d) A soldier.
6. Which of the following is a reason why Natalya does not want to wait for Bocharev?
(a) The Soviets will use her to capture Mack.
(b) She no longer loves Mack.
(c) His son was not the nice person he thinks.
(d) Bocharev is known as a torturer.
7. How does Mack slow down the men following him in Chapter 39?
(a) He pushes a boulder towards them.
(b) He releases rats.
(c) He creates a avalanche.
(d) He fires a rain of arrows.
8. Why does Botev pretend to be interested in finding Mack?
(a) To keep the trackers away from Mack's path.
(b) To get information on Yakov.
(c) To find more about what Ostap is doing.
(d) To earn some money.
9. Which of the following two characters helps Mack to rescue Yakov?
(a) Botev and Borowsky.
(b) Natayla and Kyra.
(c) Peshkov and Baraonas.
(d) Zamatev and Alekhin.
10. Whose loyalty does Zamatev begin to question in this section?
11. What does Mack decides he needs to stay to survive?
(a) The taiga.
(b) A village.
(c) A cave.
(d) A city.
12. What item of Mack's did Alekhin find at the helicopter crash?
(a) His hair band.
(b) His bow.
(c) His arrows.
(d) His moccasins.
13. How does Natalya try to warm up her father?
(a) She makes a fire.
(b) She makes him a sheep skin jacket.
(c) She makes a camp.
(d) She gives him her clothes.
14. How is Ostap related to Kyra?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her son.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) Her brother-in-law.
15. Why are Natalya and her father so worried at the end of the section?
(a) Mack should have already arrived.
(b) They hear gunshots.
(c) They hear a warrant has been put out for their arrest.
(d) An official car stops at their cabin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character dies in this section?
2. Why does Yakov think Baronas will not be much use to his daughter?
3. What interests Ostap about the job?
4. Where does Mack think he should hide during the winter?
5. What does Mack do to Petrovich before he leaves him?
This section contains 478 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)