|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Kyra want Ostap to help her?
(a) He is the best tracker in Russia.
(b) He is very trustworthy.
(c) He will be better at dealing with the trackers.
(d) He can speak English.
2. What does Mack think will happen if he is unable to get far enough away from the soldiers?
(a) He will get to to a part of the taiga the soldiers know vey well.
(b) He will get to a part of the taiga where he will have nowhere to hide.
(c) He will run out of food.
(d) He will reach the city and be arrested.
3. Which of the following is a reason why Natalya does not want to wait for Bocharev?
(a) Bocharev is known as a torturer.
(b) She no longer loves Mack.
(c) The Soviets will use her to capture Mack.
(d) His son was not the nice person he thinks.
4. Why does Baronas not want to stay in the cabin?
(a) He hates confined spaces.
(b) He has spent too long in hiding.
(c) He has always wanted to go to America.
(d) He refuses to leave his daughter.
5. Where does Alekhin decide to track Mack down from?
(a) The helicopter crash site.
(b) The mountains.
(c) The woods.
(d) Natayla's house.
6. What item of Mack's did Alekhin find at the helicopter crash?
(a) His moccasins.
(b) His hair band.
(c) His arrows.
(d) His bow.
7. Why does Yakov think Baronas will not be much use to his daughter?
(a) He can't run fast.
(b) He is too used to comfort.
(c) He is too loud.
(d) He is too ill.
8. Why does Alekhin like tracking down Mack?
(a) The longer it takes the longer he can torture him.
(b) He is a challenge.
(c) The longer it takes the more money he earns.
(d) He is easy work.
9. What does Mack see looking for him from his hiding spot in the valley?
10. Where does Mack hide in Chapter 29?
(a) Tall grass.
(b) A cave.
(c) A tree trunk.
(d) A burrow.
11. Who does Alekhin think Mack plans to kill?
(a) Botev and Borowsky.
(b) Natalya and Yakov.
(c) Himself and Zamatev.
(d) Kyra and Zamatev.
12. What is Peshkov looking for in Chapter 33?
(a) Mack's bow and arrows.
(b) His suitcase of gold.
(c) Mack's hideout.
(d) Buried treasure.
13. Whose loyalty does Zamatev begin to question in this section?
14. Why don't Natalya and her father want to wait for Mack at Plastun Bay?
(a) They may need to betray him to escape.
(b) He is bad news.
(c) They feel he has betrayed them.
(d) It is dangerous for him to come back.
15. How does Ostap convince the men to help him find Mack?
(a) He tells them they will get a good position in society.
(b) He tells them they will be paid alot of money.
(c) He tells them they will be allowed to travel freely.
(d) He tells them they wil be given good houses.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Kyra's relatives are arrested in this section?
2. How do the men know that Mack passed through their camp?
3. Why does Botev pretend to be interested in finding Mack?
4. Who do Natalya and her father think they can ask for help?
5. What is the name of the official who pulls up outside the Baronas' cabin?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)