|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has the settlement never been found?
(a) No one knows it exists.
(b) They have killed anyone who got near.
(c) The settlement is too well concealed.
(d) The Russians have never tried hard enough.
2. What is the Siberian taiga known for?
(a) Fine timber.
(b) Great lakes.
(c) Stretches if tundra.
(d) Treacherous swamps.
3. What advantage in grooming do most Indians have?
(a) Lack of odour.
(b) Not much facial hair.
(c) Straight, easy to manage hair.
(d) Clean skin.
4. Why does Joe find it so easy to escape his cell?
(a) The lights are out.
(b) In Idaho he worked as a key maker.
(c) The locks are not complicated.
(d) Pennington opens the door for him from the outside.
5. What does Joe realize he needs to actually escape Siberia?
(a) Some Sanskrit.
(b) Some rubles.
(c) More bear skins.
(d) Another pair of mocassins.
6. Where is Shepilov looking for Joe?
(a) Along the Olekma.
(b) In the taiga.
(c) Along the Ob.
(d) In the cities.
7. Why does Mack think Alekhin will be harder to hide from?
(a) He will stop at nothing.
(b) He is an Indian.
(c) He is a marine.
(d) He knows Mack inside out.
8. What is Alekhin's pride?
(a) A reputation as a great chef.
(b) No prisoner has escaped him.
(c) He has never been defeated in an arm wrestle.
(d) His Russian heritage.
9. Why does Evgeny Zhilarev wear slippers?
(a) He doesn't want to make any noise.
(b) He never wears shoes.
(c) His feet are crippled.
(d) He finds them more fashionable.
10. Where is the engineer studying?
11. What kind of weapon does Mack threaten Peshkov with?
(a) A gun.
(b) A knife.
(c) A tomahawk.
(d) A sword.
12. What is Pennington's specialty?
(a) Experimental aircraft.
(b) Weapons and ordnance.
(c) Chemical research.
(d) Military medicine.
13. Why would Joe be expected to make for the Mongolian border?
(a) They would sell him weapons.
(b) It is controlled by the British.
(c) He has family there.
(d) It is the least distance.
14. Who is Pennington suspicious of?
(a) The West German.
(b) The English chemist.
(c) The French diplomat.
(d) The Swedish naval officer.
15. Where does Mack meet Natalya in Chapter 16?
(a) The cave.
(b) The woods.
(c) The temple.
(d) Her tent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who figures out that Mack is behind the helicopter crash?
2. What does Joe decide can wait?
3. What does Joe use to cross Olekma?
4. Using what hunting weapon would do Joe more harm than good?
5. Why does Natalya make Mack a shirt?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)