|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joe use to cross Olekma?
(a) A single drift log.
(b) A gigantic old floater.
(c) A lumber plank.
(d) A mass of driftwood.
2. Where is Kyra sent?
(a) Back to Shepilov's office.
(b) Along the Sea of Japan.
(c) To Aldan.
(d) The Sikhote Alin Mountains.
3. What is approaching in August?
(a) The time of the Rolling Bear.
(b) The time of the Yellow Leaves.
(c) The Moon of the Ripe Plums.
(d) The Moon of the Formidable Marmot.
4. When do the Indian people kill a bear?
(a) When the shaman tells them it will bring good fortune.
(b) When a bear will not obey commands.
(c) Only on the first day of spring.
(d) Only when there is need.
5. Who does Yakov say is searching for Mack?
6. What did the Alaskan Indian carry over Chilhoot Pass?
(a) Fifty bear hides.
(b) A piano.
(c) Three hundred pounds of bear meat.
(d) Half a ton of water.
7. Where does Zhikarev have an offshore account?
(a) In a Californian credit union.
(b) In a Swiss Bank.
(c) In a Japanese national trust.
(d) In a Hong Kong bank.
8. How much distance is between the wire fence and the white line?
(a) Six meters.
(b) Six inches.
(c) Six centimeters.
(d) Six feet.
9. How far away is Joe when Alekhin visits Vanyushin?
(a) Fifty miles.
(b) Fifteen miles.
(c) Fifty minutes.
(d) Fifteen minutes.
10. How does Mack make sure he can leave the village quickly if needed?
(a) He makes several trails.
(b) He prepaers a helicopter.
(c) He tells no one of his plans to leave.
(d) He prepares a car.
11. Using what hunting weapon would do Joe more harm than good?
(a) Traditional Bow and arrow.
(b) A rifle.
(c) A stone sling.
(d) A wooden spear.
12. What noise alerts Joe to the rail work?
(a) The whistle of a train.
(b) The rumble of a steamroller.
(c) The squeak of a backhoe.
(d) The sound of a tractor.
13. What does Yakov use to wake Joe?
(a) By blowing in his ear.
(b) He throws a pebble.
(c) He pokes with his AK-47.
(d) A loud cough.
14. What is the Siberian taiga known for?
(a) Stretches if tundra.
(b) Great lakes.
(c) Treacherous swamps.
(d) Fine timber.
15. What are the four virtues of a Sioux warrior?
(a) Emotionally detachment, wisdom, fortitude and strength.
(b) Wisdon, ruthlessness, bravery and magnitude.
(c) Bravery, generosity, wisdom and fortitude.
(d) Generoristy, bravery, intelligence and solitude.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joe decide can wait?
2. What is Pennington's specialty?
3. Where does Mack say he will take both Natalya and her father?
4. Where does Mack meet Natalya in Chapter 16?
5. What does Shepilov not have in Kyra's eyes?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)