|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the engineer studying?
2. What is Joe scared he might never have again?
(a) The love of a woman.
(b) Enough fat to survive the winter.
(c) Escape from the wolves.
(d) A feeling of warmth.
3. Where does Zhikarev have an offshore account?
(a) In a Swiss Bank.
(b) In a Hong Kong bank.
(c) In a Japanese national trust.
(d) In a Californian credit union.
4. Why did the Indians lose to the white man according to Joe?
(a) The white man attacked in spring and caught them by surprise.
(b) The Indians did not know how to fight short term battles.
(c) The Indians were not good at fighting in the cold.
(d) The white man had better armour.
5. What happens at more than fifty below?
(a) Rubber turns to metal.
(b) Rubber tires melt.
(c) Metal becomes fragile.
(d) Metal becomes stronger.
6. Where is Kyra sent?
(a) Back to Shepilov's office.
(b) To Aldan.
(c) The Sikhote Alin Mountains.
(d) Along the Sea of Japan.
7. What animal dislikes Joe's smell?
(a) A brown bear.
(b) A wild grouse in the trees.
(c) A salmon in the stream.
(d) A forest deer.
8. What is approaching in August?
(a) The Moon of the Formidable Marmot.
(b) The Moon of the Ripe Plums.
(c) The time of the Yellow Leaves.
(d) The time of the Rolling Bear.
9. Where does Kyra think Zhikarev is heading?
10. Why do the Soviets capture Makatozi?
(a) They want a bargaining tool for war negotiations.
(b) He has information on experimental aircraft.
(c) They are scared he will oust their spy agents.
(d) He is being retrained as a doube agent.
11. What does Mac say he will do to Peshkov if he tries to anything again?
(a) Maime him.
(b) Castrate him.
(c) Turn him in.
(d) Kill him.
12. What noise alerts Joe to the rail work?
(a) The whistle of a train.
(b) The sound of a tractor.
(c) The rumble of a steamroller.
(d) The squeak of a backhoe.
13. Which member of the village wants Mack to leave?
14. Who is Pennington suspicious of?
(a) The English chemist.
(b) The West German.
(c) The French diplomat.
(d) The Swedish naval officer.
15. Why does Joe find it so easy to escape his cell?
(a) In Idaho he worked as a key maker.
(b) The lights are out.
(c) Pennington opens the door for him from the outside.
(d) The locks are not complicated.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Joe sleep so poorly?
2. What did the Alaskan Indian carry over Chilhoot Pass?
3. By which river does Joe fall asleep from weariness?
4. Where does Mack say he will take both Natalya and her father?
5. What is the Siberian taiga known for?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)