|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which arrow finally kills the bear?
(a) The sixth shot into its right side.
(b) The fifth shot down its throat.
(c) The third arrow into its throat.
(d) The fourth shot.
2. What does Joe long for after killing the bear?
(a) More arrows.
(b) A glass of wine.
(c) A sharper knife.
(d) A cup of coffee.
3. What does the soldier count up to before he is allowed to go?
(a) One hundred.
(b) One billion.
(c) One million.
(d) One thousand.
4. What window do the prisoners have to talk without being spied on?
(a) Only three steps.
(b) Three words.
(c) Only three seconds.
(d) Three breaths.
5. Which member of the village wants Mack to leave?
6. Why would Joe be expected to make for the Mongolian border?
(a) It is controlled by the British.
(b) He has family there.
(c) They would sell him weapons.
(d) It is the least distance.
7. Who is Pennington suspicious of?
(a) The English chemist.
(b) The West German.
(c) The Swedish naval officer.
(d) The French diplomat.
8. What is a stool pigeon?
(a) A type of bird.
(b) A chemist.
(c) A person form England.
(d) An informant.
9. How does the settlement ensure its survival?
(a) They give Wulff free meals.
(b) The make money by selling coffee.
(c) They refuse all strangers.
(d) By offering their best furs.
10. How does Joe dry off after his swim?
(a) Wiping himself with grass.
(b) By standing in the breeze.
(c) He rolls around in the forest.
(d) By putting on some dry clothes.
11. What is Alekhin's pride?
(a) A reputation as a great chef.
(b) He has never been defeated in an arm wrestle.
(c) His Russian heritage.
(d) No prisoner has escaped him.
12. Why did the Indians lose to the white man according to Joe?
(a) The Indians were not good at fighting in the cold.
(b) The white man had better armour.
(c) The white man attacked in spring and caught them by surprise.
(d) The Indians did not know how to fight short term battles.
13. Why does Wulff not want Kyra around?
(a) He does not like her connection to Zamatev.
(b) She is too intelligent.
(c) She tempts him too much with her beauty.
(d) His wife would be jealous.
14. Where does Mack meet Natalya in Chapter 16?
(a) The woods.
(b) Her tent.
(c) The cave.
(d) The temple.
15. How many moccasins could Joe make from the reindeer?
(a) Only four pairs.
(b) Easily nine pairs.
(c) About 14 pairs.
(d) Only one pair.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joe find it so easy to escape his cell?
2. What is Joe scared he might never have again?
3. What does Joe decide can wait?
4. When do the Indian people kill a bear?
5. Why does Natalya make Mack a shirt?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)