|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What noise alerts Joe to the rail work?
(a) The squeak of a backhoe.
(b) The whistle of a train.
(c) The rumble of a steamroller.
(d) The sound of a tractor.
2. What is the Siberian taiga known for?
(a) Great lakes.
(b) Treacherous swamps.
(c) Stretches if tundra.
(d) Fine timber.
3. How does the settlement ensure its survival?
(a) They give Wulff free meals.
(b) They refuse all strangers.
(c) The make money by selling coffee.
(d) By offering their best furs.
4. Why does Mack think Alekhin will be harder to hide from?
(a) He knows Mack inside out.
(b) He is a marine.
(c) He will stop at nothing.
(d) He is an Indian.
5. When do the Indian people kill a bear?
(a) When a bear will not obey commands.
(b) When the shaman tells them it will bring good fortune.
(c) Only on the first day of spring.
(d) Only when there is need.
6. What rank does Zamatev want by fifty?
(b) Field Marshal.
(d) Chief Commander.
7. Why does Natalya make Mack a shirt?
(a) To get married.
(b) To wear for special occassions.
(c) To keep him warm.
(d) So he will blend in.
8. Who does Yakov say is searching for Mack?
9. How many moccasins could Joe make from the reindeer?
(a) Easily nine pairs.
(b) Only four pairs.
(c) Only one pair.
(d) About 14 pairs.
10. By which river does Joe fall asleep from weariness?
(a) The Tsipa River.
(b) The Amur River.
(c) The Kalar River.
(d) The Lena River.
11. Where is the engineer studying?
12. How big is Siberia?
(a) Less than five times the size of the United States.
(b) More than three million square miles.
(c) More than three times the size of the United States.
(d) More than five million square miles.
13. What does Kyra think Wulff wants?
(a) The American captured for himself.
(b) Natalya Lebedev.
(c) To rise to the top.
(d) Nothing to change.
14. Why does the settlement need Peshkov?
(a) He knows how to throw a party.
(b) He is a good hunter.
(c) He is popular and good for morale.
(d) He is a good leader.
15. What is the quickest way out of Siberia?
(a) Riding a deer through Yakutia territory.
(b) Swimming Lake Baikal to Manchuria.
(c) Trekking to China.
(d) Trans-Siberia Railway.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Zamatev's coat so unadorned?
2. What are Tungus?
3. Why is Kyra so confused?
4. What is Pennington's specialty?
5. What is the name of the man who tortured Zamatev during the war?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)