Essay Topic 1
What problems does Mack have to face in the taiga? How does he overcome these problems?
Essay Topic 2
What are the similarities between Mack and Alekhin? How does Mack manage to overcome Alekhin despite that are equal in ability?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author represent the relationship between Russia and America? What does this representation say about 1950s society at the time?
Essay Topic 4
Choose one of the following statements and write an argument for or against it.
1. Mack cannot be regarded as a hero because he kills many people and often with no real reason.
2. The novel presents Indians as savages.
3. The author misrepresents Russian culture to make America look better.
Essay Topic 5
Examine Mack's Indian identity.
1. How does Mack's Indian heritage help him in the novel?
2. What does it suggest about America in the fifties that a Native American could be so loyal...
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)