|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the bar?
2. How do all of the characters seem to feel at the end of the novel?
3. Why does Tralala become angry with Al and Tony after the robbery?
4. What makes the foremen angry with Harry?
5. Whenever Abe comes home after a long night of drinking, how does he interact with his family?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Tralala wanders around Times Square, why does she get upset?
2. When Tralala meets Harry, what does she suddenly feel?
3. How does Tralala's story end?
4. Why is Harry excited for the upcoming strike?
5. Why does Vinnie decide to tease Harry?
6. As a result of her time in Times Square, what does she begin to do?
7. Why does Irene enjoy going to work?
8. Why does Mike refuse to go along with his wife's requests in the morning?
9. How does Harry pay for his actions?
10. When Abe goes to the barber shop, what does he like to gloat about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters in the novel are looking for an escape. How are the following things an escape to these boring life events:
Essay Topic 2
Many of the female characters in the book are prostitutes.
Why are so many characters prostitutes and not women who work long hours at other jobs?
What does this say about Selby's view of women?
Essay Topic 3
It seems as though many characters do not respect their partners. Analyze each of the following couples and explain how they do or do not have a healthy, trusting, respectful relationship:
Mike and Irene
Abe and Nancy
Tommy and Suzie
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)