|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Abe's concern over his wife and kids needs?
2. What do some characters like Lucy strive to achieve?
3. When Harry leaves to go to his next post, what does he give Tralala?
4. What could the reader assume the stories are about?
5. As the strike continues, what happens to the workers' feelings about the strike?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tralala's story end?
2. Why is Harry upset when the strike finally comes to an end?
3. Why does Mike insist on making his wife's life very difficult?
4. When Abe goes to the barber shop, what does he like to gloat about?
5. How does Tralala differentiate herself from other women?
6. Why did Vinnie and Mary decide to get married?
7. When Harry sees his son in the bath, what does he do?
8. As a result of her time in Times Square, what does she begin to do?
9. What time does Harry hate spending with his wife?
10. What does Lucy fear about her children playing in the laundromat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the female characters in the book are prostitutes.
Why are so many characters prostitutes and not women who work long hours at other jobs?
What does this say about Selby's view of women?
Essay Topic 2
Why are the hipsters and sailors so different from one another?
How does Selby show that different groups can work together to create unreasonable violence?
Essay Topic 3
It seems as though many characters do not respect their partners. Analyze each of the following couples and explain how they do or do not have a healthy, trusting, respectful relationship:
Mike and Irene
Abe and Nancy
Tommy and Suzie
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)