|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Doggie beg of Tralala?
2. Why does Tralala begin to give her body to anyone?
3. What completely outrages Tralala as she goes from bar to bar?
4. How do all of the characters seem to feel at the end of the novel?
5. What is Abe's concern over his wife and kids needs?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Harry sees his son in the bath, what does he do?
2. When Abe goes to the barber shop, what does he like to gloat about?
3. What time does Harry hate spending with his wife?
4. Why does Irene enjoy going to work?
5. What scam does Tralala run on many men that come into Greeks?
6. How does Tralala differentiate herself from other women?
7. While Abe goes out with a woman named Lucy, what does Nancy do?
8. Why does Lucy get very angry at her husband?
9. Why is Harry upset when the strike finally comes to an end?
10. As a result of her time in Times Square, what does she begin to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why are the hipsters and sailors so different from one another?
How does Selby show that different groups can work together to create unreasonable violence?
Essay Topic 2
Several characters attempt to suppress their true selves. Discuss how the following characters try to suppress their real feelings and end up paying the consequences for doing so:
Essay Topic 3
Nancy exerts her own sexual desires and wants by masturbating. What other female characters exert their own sexuality in a way that does not exploit their bodies for money?
Why would Tralala insist that she knows how to assert her own sexual agency?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)