|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What theme does Tralala's character introduce into the book?
2. What is Harry's job when the union goes on strike?
3. Who is his first sexual encounter with a transvestite with?
4. What does Ada's character represent?
5. What does Mike like to prove to the rest of his friends?
Essay Topic 1
Selby writes Last Exit to Brooklyn like a collection of stories.
Is this effective to his storytelling?
Would it have been more effective to have the entire novel work as one cohesive unit?
Explain why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Nancy exerts her own sexual desires and wants by masturbating. What other female characters exert their own sexuality in a way that does not exploit their bodies for money?
Why would Tralala insist that she knows how to assert her own sexual agency?
Essay Topic 3
Selby is convinced that violence only happens in Brooklyn for two reasons. Name them.
Then, give two examples of how these two reasons caused violence in the book.
Do you agree with Selby's assertions? Why or why not?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)