|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is this action an odd thing for Ada to do?
2. What is Nancy missing from her life?
3. How do all of the characters seem to feel at the end of the novel?
4. When the men are done with Tralala what do they do?
5. What day will they receive the bag of groceries?
Short Essay Questions
1. While Abe goes out with a woman named Lucy, what does Nancy do?
2. What does Ada spend most of her life doing and what do people in Brooklyn feel about her?
3. What does Lucy feel she has little control over?
4. What time does Harry hate spending with his wife?
5. Why does Irene enjoy going to work?
6. When Tralala meets Harry, what does she suddenly feel?
7. What does Harry buy with a lot of the money?
8. What scam does Tralala run on many men that come into Greeks?
9. Why does Mike refuse to go along with his wife's requests in the morning?
10. Why does Vinnie decide to tease Harry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why are the hipsters and sailors so different from one another?
How does Selby show that different groups can work together to create unreasonable violence?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Harry never punished for the corruption that he causes at the union?
Describe how he weasels out of any sort of punishment.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the female characters in the book are prostitutes.
Why are so many characters prostitutes and not women who work long hours at other jobs?
What does this say about Selby's view of women?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)