|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the superiors react to Harry as a union rep?
2. Why is Harry beaten up by Vinnie in his gang?
3. What is Harry's job when the union goes on strike?
4. As she talks to a soldier named Doggie, she gets bored and does what?
5. How does Tralala express all of her needs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Harry excited for the upcoming strike?
2. As a result of her time in Times Square, what does she begin to do?
3. How does Harry pay for his actions?
4. What time does Harry hate spending with his wife?
5. Why does Tralala get physical with the sailor Doggie?
6. Why is Tralala angry when Harry leaves?
7. What does Ada spend most of her life doing and what do people in Brooklyn feel about her?
8. Why does Mike refuse to go along with his wife's requests in the morning?
9. What does Lucy feel she has little control over?
10. How does Tralala's story end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the female characters in the book are prostitutes.
Why are so many characters prostitutes and not women who work long hours at other jobs?
What does this say about Selby's view of women?
Essay Topic 2
Several characters attempt to suppress their true selves. Discuss how the following characters try to suppress their real feelings and end up paying the consequences for doing so:
Essay Topic 3
Many characters in the novel are looking for an escape. How are the following things an escape to these boring life events:
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)