|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mike reward himself after he changes his child's nappies?
2. Harry works at the steel mill, but enjoys this position also.
3. While the other men are out on the picket line, what is Harry doing?
4. How does Tralala distinguish herself from other women?
5. What is her plan with her friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tralala differentiate herself from other women?
2. As a result of her time in Times Square, what does she begin to do?
3. Why does Irene enjoy going to work?
4. What does Lucy fear about her children playing in the laundromat?
5. Why is Tralala angry when Harry leaves?
6. What makes Harry very happy after meeting a couple of drag queens?
7. What does Ada spend most of her life doing and what do people in Brooklyn feel about her?
8. Why does Mike insist on making his wife's life very difficult?
9. What is Harry's job occupation?
10. When Abe goes to the barber shop, what does he like to gloat about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, many women and children are abused at the hands of men.
Why are men the primary abusers, and why does Selby choose to show them as the primary abusers?
Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Selby's book caused a huge controversy during its publication. The major topics in the book consist of homosexuality, child abuse, cheating, stealing, violence, transvestites, anger, insanity, and drug use. Using your knowledge about these topics in the 1950s, how do you think the book was accepted by general American culture? How was it perceived in a more liberal Europe?
Essay Topic 3
How does Ada symbolize innocence?
How do children in the novel symbolize innocence?
How does Ada symbolize childhood?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)