|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Tralala when she become sexually active?
2. What does the new worker think?
3. Where does Tralala pick Harry up from?
4. While bathing his young son, what does Harry Black begin doing?
5. While the other men are out on the picket line, what is Harry doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Vinnie and Mary decide to get married?
2. What is Harry's job occupation?
3. Why is Harry excited for the upcoming strike?
4. When Abe goes to the barber shop, what does he like to gloat about?
5. Why does Vinnie decide to tease Harry?
6. As Tralala wanders around Times Square, why does she get upset?
7. What scam does Tralala run on many men that come into Greeks?
8. Why does Mike refuse to go along with his wife's requests in the morning?
9. When Harry sees his son in the bath, what does he do?
10. How does Harry pay for his actions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Selby writes Last Exit to Brooklyn like a collection of stories.
Is this effective to his storytelling?
Would it have been more effective to have the entire novel work as one cohesive unit?
Explain why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Selby's book caused a huge controversy during its publication. The major topics in the book consist of homosexuality, child abuse, cheating, stealing, violence, transvestites, anger, insanity, and drug use. Using your knowledge about these topics in the 1950s, how do you think the book was accepted by general American culture? How was it perceived in a more liberal Europe?
Essay Topic 3
Several characters attempt to suppress their true selves. Discuss how the following characters try to suppress their real feelings and end up paying the consequences for doing so:
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)