|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Harry's wife questions where he is when he is not at home, what does Harry do?
2. What has caused Harry to lash out and molest the boy?
3. What does Mike demand from Irene, although she works long hours?
4. How does Irene feel about her job?
5. How does Tralala distinguish herself from other women?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Tralala angry when Harry leaves?
2. Why does Mike insist on making his wife's life very difficult?
3. How does Tralala's story end?
4. Why does Mike refuse to go along with his wife's requests in the morning?
5. Why does Tralala get physical with the sailor Doggie?
6. What is Tralala unable to show to the sailor, Doggie?
7. Why does Irene enjoy going to work?
8. What does Harry buy with a lot of the money?
9. What is Harry's job occupation?
10. What time does Harry hate spending with his wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the female characters in the book are prostitutes.
Why are so many characters prostitutes and not women who work long hours at other jobs?
What does this say about Selby's view of women?
Essay Topic 2
It was very difficult to be homosexual in the 1950s.
How does Georgie try to defy opposition to live her life the way she wants to live it?
On the other hand, how does Georgie isolate herself for the life she lives?
Essay Topic 3
Nancy exerts her own sexual desires and wants by masturbating. What other female characters exert their own sexuality in a way that does not exploit their bodies for money?
Why would Tralala insist that she knows how to assert her own sexual agency?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)