|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Doggie go after Tralala outside?
2. What is the name of the manager at the steel mill?
3. What is the name of the bar?
4. What is Harry's job when the union goes on strike?
5. Why does Harry's new girlfriend want to break up with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Vinnie decide to tease Harry?
2. Why is Tralala angry when Harry leaves?
3. As a result of her time in Times Square, what does she begin to do?
4. Why does Tralala get physical with the sailor Doggie?
5. What time does Harry hate spending with his wife?
6. What scam does Tralala run on many men that come into Greeks?
7. Why is Harry upset when the strike finally comes to an end?
8. When Harry sees his son in the bath, what does he do?
9. How does Tralala's story end?
10. How does Tralala feel about the note Harry leaves behind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, many women and children are abused at the hands of men.
Why are men the primary abusers, and why does Selby choose to show them as the primary abusers?
Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Selby's book caused a huge controversy during its publication. The major topics in the book consist of homosexuality, child abuse, cheating, stealing, violence, transvestites, anger, insanity, and drug use. Using your knowledge about these topics in the 1950s, how do you think the book was accepted by general American culture? How was it perceived in a more liberal Europe?
Essay Topic 3
How do Selby's characters view marriage?
How do they view sex?
To these characters, why can't their marriages also invoice sex?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)