|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What could have stopped Tommy from making a bad decision?
2. What do the regulars at Greeks bar do to Spook?
3. What is the name of the bar owner at the Greeks?
4. In this story, what does it seem that people do to one another?
5. When did Vinnie begin his criminal activities?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Georgie's lifestyle isolated him from others?
2. How does her family react?
3. The novel begins in this place and is frequented by what group?
4. As the reader begins Baby Makes Three, what kind of story do they assume this to be?
5. What causes Freddie and his friends to chase after the sailors?
6. Why does Georgie use drugs?
7. What is the moral significance to this story?
8. What has Georgie struggled to find for most of his life?
9. How do their lives change early on in the story?
10. Explain the game of mum that the hipsters play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many characters in the novel are looking for an escape. How are the following things an escape to these boring life events:
Essay Topic 2
Selby's book caused a huge controversy during its publication. The major topics in the book consist of homosexuality, child abuse, cheating, stealing, violence, transvestites, anger, insanity, and drug use. Using your knowledge about these topics in the 1950s, how do you think the book was accepted by general American culture? How was it perceived in a more liberal Europe?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the female characters in the book are prostitutes.
Why are so many characters prostitutes and not women who work long hours at other jobs?
What does this say about Selby's view of women?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)