|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What really ends up happening to Tommy?
2. What seems to be one of the biggest obstacles in Georgie's life?
3. At the end of the novel, what does Tommy give in to?
4. What does Brooklyn show it can have?
5. What is the violence in the novel equal to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Freddie and his friends to chase after the sailors?
2. Why does Georgie sleep with Harry?
3. What do Tommy and Suzie enjoy doing the most?
4. What has Georgie struggled to find for most of his life?
5. The hipsters cannot get a lot of respect from the other sailors and the bar owner. Why is this?
6. Where does Georgie live?
7. Why does Georgie use drugs?
8. Compare the hipsters and sailors to one another.
9. What is interesting about Georgie and her mother's relationship?
10. How does her family react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several characters attempt to suppress their true selves. Discuss how the following characters try to suppress their real feelings and end up paying the consequences for doing so:
Essay Topic 2
Why does Selby think there is a never ending circle of bitterness in the borough of Brooklyn?
Explain and describe the vicious circle that he feels exists for Brooklyn's residents.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Tralala push any man that tries to get close to her away?
Is it difficult for her to trust men because of her past and childhood?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)