|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Tommy's true intentions for the end of the night?
2. Who does Georgie call to come to the party that has begun?
3. What do the hipsters try to clean Georgie's wound with?
4. Who does Vinnie end up choosing?
5. What doesn't he notice about his daughter until it is too late?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is interesting about Georgie and her mother's relationship?
2. How do their lives change early on in the story?
3. How does Georgie's lifestyle isolated him from others?
4. What do Tommy and Suzie enjoy doing the most?
5. Why does Vinnie allow his friends to throw knives at Georgie?
6. Explain Selby's writing style as the fight between Freddie and Rosie begins.
7. What is the moral significance to this story?
8. The hipsters cannot get a lot of respect from the other sailors and the bar owner. Why is this?
9. What are causes of senseless acts of violence?
10. How is Georgie self destructive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many of the female characters in the book are prostitutes.
Why are so many characters prostitutes and not women who work long hours at other jobs?
What does this say about Selby's view of women?
Essay Topic 2
How do Selby's characters view marriage?
How do they view sex?
To these characters, why can't their marriages also invoice sex?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Tralala push any man that tries to get close to her away?
Is it difficult for her to trust men because of her past and childhood?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)