Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Outside of Greeks one night, Georgie tries to describe her feelings for Vinnie. What does Vinnie do?
2. What do Suzie and Tommy end up having?
3. What do the hipsters become scared of?
4. How does he react to the news?
5. What do Freddie and their friends consider themselves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Vinnie decide to tease Harry?
2. How does Georgie's lifestyle isolated him from others?
3. What is interesting about Georgie and her mother's relationship?
4. How is Georgie self destructive?
5. What makes the group of hipsters finally decide to stop beating one another up?
6. Compare the hipsters and sailors to one another.
7. What is the moral significance to this story?
8. The novel begins in this place and is frequented by what group?
9. Why does Georgie use drugs?
10. Who does not accept Georgie?
Essay Topic 1
Selby writes Last Exit to Brooklyn like a collection of stories.
Is this effective to his storytelling?
Would it have been more effective to have the entire novel work as one cohesive unit?
Explain why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
It seems as though many characters do not respect their partners. Analyze each of the following couples and explain how they do or do not have a healthy, trusting, respectful relationship:
Mike and Irene
Abe and Nancy
Tommy and Suzie
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, many women and children are abused at the hands of men.
Why are men the primary abusers, and why does Selby choose to show them as the primary abusers?
Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)