|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does she hope she can find there?
2. What does Georgie beg Vinnie to do?
3. At the end of the novel, what does Tommy give in to?
4. To help his daughter what does Suzy's father do?
5. Georgie waits for her mother to fall asleep so that she can go where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader soon realize about the story?
2. Compare the hipsters and sailors to one another.
3. How does Georgie's lifestyle isolated him from others?
4. How is Georgie self destructive?
5. What is interesting about Georgie and her mother's relationship?
6. What causes Freddie and his friends to chase after the sailors?
7. What do Tommy and Suzie enjoy doing the most?
8. The hipsters cannot get a lot of respect from the other sailors and the bar owner. Why is this?
9. Who will not return Georgie's feelings?
10. Who does not accept Georgie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Selby's book caused a huge controversy during its publication. The major topics in the book consist of homosexuality, child abuse, cheating, stealing, violence, transvestites, anger, insanity, and drug use. Using your knowledge about these topics in the 1950s, how do you think the book was accepted by general American culture? How was it perceived in a more liberal Europe?
Essay Topic 2
Several characters have the chance to express mercy towards others, but fail. Discuss how each of the following characters is unable to show mercy:
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, many women and children are abused at the hands of men.
Why are men the primary abusers, and why does Selby choose to show them as the primary abusers?
Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)