|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does everyone seem to be doing?
2. What do the hippies think of the music that the sailors play?
3. What is the best description for the end of this story?
4. Why is Georgie obsessed with Vinnie?
5. At home, how does Georgie's mother feel about Georgie's life choices?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the game of mum that the hipsters play?
2. What does this story reveal about Brooklyn residents?
3. How is Georgie self destructive?
4. Who will not return Georgie's feelings?
5. Why does Vinnie allow his friends to throw knives at Georgie?
6. What is interesting about Georgie and her mother's relationship?
7. What makes the group of hipsters finally decide to stop beating one another up?
8. Why does Georgie use drugs?
9. How does Georgie's lifestyle isolated him from others?
10. Compare the hipsters and sailors to one another.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Selby writes Last Exit to Brooklyn like a collection of stories.
Is this effective to his storytelling?
Would it have been more effective to have the entire novel work as one cohesive unit?
Explain why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
It was very difficult to be homosexual in the 1950s.
How does Georgie try to defy opposition to live her life the way she wants to live it?
On the other hand, how does Georgie isolate herself for the life she lives?
Essay Topic 3
It seems as though many characters do not respect their partners. Analyze each of the following couples and explain how they do or do not have a healthy, trusting, respectful relationship:
Mike and Irene
Abe and Nancy
Tommy and Suzie
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)