|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why won't the owner of the bar address Freddie and his group as "Sir"?
2. What do the hipsters try to clean Georgie's wound with?
3. Why is Georgie obsessed with Vinnie?
4. Why do the others laugh at Spook's bike?
5. What does the Bible passage create for the beginning of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Vinnie decide to tease Harry?
2. What makes Harry very happy after meeting a couple of drag queens?
3. Why did Vinnie and Mary decide to get married?
4. What time does Harry hate spending with his wife?
5. Who does not accept Georgie?
6. What scam does Tralala run on many men that come into Greeks?
7. Why is Tralala angry when Harry leaves?
8. What does this story reveal about Brooklyn residents?
9. Why is Harry upset when the strike finally comes to an end?
10. Why does Georgie use drugs?
Essay Topic 1
Selby is convinced that violence only happens in Brooklyn for two reasons. Name them.
Then, give two examples of how these two reasons caused violence in the book.
Do you agree with Selby's assertions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Harry never punished for the corruption that he causes at the union?
Describe how he weasels out of any sort of punishment.
Essay Topic 3
Selby writes Last Exit to Brooklyn like a collection of stories.
Is this effective to his storytelling?
Would it have been more effective to have the entire novel work as one cohesive unit?
Explain why or why not?
This section contains 1,222 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)