|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the wedding celebration, who makes him or herself well known to everyone at the party?
2. What does she hope she can find there?
3. How does Georgie end her night?
4. How would people describe the ceremony?
5. Who do the sailors think the hipsters sympathize with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does her family react?
2. What does this story reveal about Brooklyn residents?
3. When Spook announces he has obtained an old police motorbike, how do the party guests react?
4. When the police stop the fight, why does Freddie claim he attacked the solider?
5. How is Georgie self destructive?
6. What does Spook want more than anything?
7. How do their lives change early on in the story?
8. Compare the hipsters and sailors to one another.
9. Who will not return Georgie's feelings?
10. On the same day as the wedding, what else occurs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several characters attempt to suppress their true selves. Discuss how the following characters try to suppress their real feelings and end up paying the consequences for doing so:
Essay Topic 2
Why is Harry never punished for the corruption that he causes at the union?
Describe how he weasels out of any sort of punishment.
Essay Topic 3
Selby writes Last Exit to Brooklyn like a collection of stories.
Is this effective to his storytelling?
Would it have been more effective to have the entire novel work as one cohesive unit?
Explain why or why not?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)