|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Vinnie and Sal thought to be?
2. What is Spook obsessed with?
3. What doesn't Suzie's father consider concerning his daughter's pregnancy?
4. How does Georgie end her night?
5. What has Georgie taken that makes her a little numb to the pain?
Short Essay Questions
1. The novel begins in this place and is frequented by what group?
2. The hipsters cannot get a lot of respect from the other sailors and the bar owner. Why is this?
3. Where does Georgie live?
4. Explain the game of mum that the hipsters play?
5. Who does not accept Georgie?
6. Why does Georgie use drugs?
7. What is the moral significance to this story?
8. What are causes of senseless acts of violence?
9. When Spook announces he has obtained an old police motorbike, how do the party guests react?
10. How is Georgie self destructive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Selby's book caused a huge controversy during its publication. The major topics in the book consist of homosexuality, child abuse, cheating, stealing, violence, transvestites, anger, insanity, and drug use. Using your knowledge about these topics in the 1950s, how do you think the book was accepted by general American culture? How was it perceived in a more liberal Europe?
Essay Topic 2
Nancy exerts her own sexual desires and wants by masturbating. What other female characters exert their own sexuality in a way that does not exploit their bodies for money?
Why would Tralala insist that she knows how to assert her own sexual agency?
Essay Topic 3
It was very difficult to be homosexual in the 1950s.
How does Georgie try to defy opposition to live her life the way she wants to live it?
On the other hand, how does Georgie isolate herself for the life she lives?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)