|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the hipsters become scared of?
2. What does Georgie beg Vinnie to do?
3. Why does Georgie suddenly become hysterical?
4. When did he finally go into a correctional institution?
5. Why is Georgie different from many people around her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does her family react?
2. Explain the game of mum that the hipsters play?
3. At the end of the story, what does the party end up being?
4. The hipsters cannot get a lot of respect from the other sailors and the bar owner. Why is this?
5. What makes the group of hipsters finally decide to stop beating one another up?
6. Explain Selby's writing style as the fight between Freddie and Rosie begins.
7. Who does not accept Georgie?
8. Why does Georgie use drugs?
9. When the police stop the fight, why does Freddie claim he attacked the solider?
10. Compare the hipsters and sailors to one another.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Selby is convinced that violence only happens in Brooklyn for two reasons. Name them.
Then, give two examples of how these two reasons caused violence in the book.
Do you agree with Selby's assertions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does Ada symbolize innocence?
How do children in the novel symbolize innocence?
How does Ada symbolize childhood?
Essay Topic 3
Selby writes Last Exit to Brooklyn like a collection of stories.
Is this effective to his storytelling?
Would it have been more effective to have the entire novel work as one cohesive unit?
Explain why or why not?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)