|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who likes to hang out at the Greeks?
2. Who backs up the story?
3. How does Spook react to their laughter?
4. What does Rosie ask Freddie for?
5. When this group runs out of things to talk about, what do they end up doing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader soon realize about the story?
2. How does Georgie's lifestyle isolated him from others?
3. Why does Vinnie allow his friends to throw knives at Georgie?
4. The hipsters cannot get a lot of respect from the other sailors and the bar owner. Why is this?
5. What are causes of senseless acts of violence?
6. Who does not accept Georgie?
7. Compare the hipsters and sailors to one another.
8. What causes Freddie and his friends to chase after the sailors?
9. What do Tommy and Suzie enjoy doing the most?
10. How does her family react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Selby's book caused a huge controversy during its publication. The major topics in the book consist of homosexuality, child abuse, cheating, stealing, violence, transvestites, anger, insanity, and drug use. Using your knowledge about these topics in the 1950s, how do you think the book was accepted by general American culture? How was it perceived in a more liberal Europe?
Essay Topic 2
Many characters use sex in different ways.
What characters use sex for money or to get ahead in their lives?
Which characters are denied sex?
Which characters partake in many sexual experiences to escape from their boring lives?
Essay Topic 3
How do Selby's characters view marriage?
How do they view sex?
To these characters, why can't their marriages also invoice sex?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)