|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How would people describe the ceremony?
2. What does the reader think would have happened to the solider, had a police officer not stopped the beating?
3. Why does this person say she will never get married?
4. Why won't the owner of the bar address Freddie and his group as "Sir"?
5. What does she hope she can find there?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ada spend most of her life doing and what do people in Brooklyn feel about her?
2. What is Tralala unable to show to the sailor, Doggie?
3. As Tralala wanders around Times Square, why does she get upset?
4. What has Georgie struggled to find for most of his life?
5. Why is Harry upset when the strike finally comes to an end?
6. What makes the group of hipsters finally decide to stop beating one another up?
7. What does Harry buy with a lot of the money?
8. How does her family react?
9. How does Harry pay for his actions?
10. When Abe goes to the barber shop, what does he like to gloat about?
Essay Topic 1
Nancy exerts her own sexual desires and wants by masturbating. What other female characters exert their own sexuality in a way that does not exploit their bodies for money?
Why would Tralala insist that she knows how to assert her own sexual agency?
Essay Topic 2
How does Ada symbolize innocence?
How do children in the novel symbolize innocence?
How does Ada symbolize childhood?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, many women and children are abused at the hands of men.
Why are men the primary abusers, and why does Selby choose to show them as the primary abusers?
Explain your reasoning.
This section contains 1,208 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)