|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the ceremony performed?
2. What seems to be one of the biggest obstacles in Georgie's life?
3. What really ends up happening to Tommy?
4. Who backs up the story?
5. What kind of relationship do Rosie and Freddie have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Georgie self destructive?
2. What is interesting about Georgie and her mother's relationship?
3. How do their lives change early on in the story?
4. What makes the group of hipsters finally decide to stop beating one another up?
5. The novel begins in this place and is frequented by what group?
6. What does the reader soon realize about the story?
7. As the reader begins Baby Makes Three, what kind of story do they assume this to be?
8. What do Tommy and Suzie enjoy doing the most?
9. What causes Freddie and his friends to chase after the sailors?
10. When the police stop the fight, why does Freddie claim he attacked the solider?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, many women and children are abused at the hands of men.
Why are men the primary abusers, and why does Selby choose to show them as the primary abusers?
Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
How do Selby's characters view marriage?
How do they view sex?
To these characters, why can't their marriages also invoice sex?
Essay Topic 3
Several characters attempt to suppress their true selves. Discuss how the following characters try to suppress their real feelings and end up paying the consequences for doing so:
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)