|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Spook obsessed with?
2. In the parking lot, what game do the hipsters decide to play?
3. What do Freddie and their friends consider themselves?
4. What is the second reason that people participate in violence?
5. Why does Shelby think that people participate in violence?
Short Essay Questions
1. The hipsters cannot get a lot of respect from the other sailors and the bar owner. Why is this?
2. How does her family react?
3. When Spook announces he has obtained an old police motorbike, how do the party guests react?
4. Explain the game of mum that the hipsters play?
5. What are causes of senseless acts of violence?
6. What is the moral significance to this story?
7. At the end of the story, what does the party end up being?
8. As the reader begins Baby Makes Three, what kind of story do they assume this to be?
9. What is interesting about Georgie and her mother's relationship?
10. What does this story reveal about Brooklyn residents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several characters attempt to suppress their true selves. Discuss how the following characters try to suppress their real feelings and end up paying the consequences for doing so:
Essay Topic 2
It was very difficult to be homosexual in the 1950s.
How does Georgie try to defy opposition to live her life the way she wants to live it?
On the other hand, how does Georgie isolate herself for the life she lives?
Essay Topic 3
What characters are constantly faced with temptation?
Is temptation an excuse to act however you would like?
Name any character that is able to fight temptation.
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)