|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the party has gotten out of control, where must everyone relocate to?
2. What do the hipsters view the sailors as?
3. To help his daughter what does Suzy's father do?
4. What does Spook carry around with him?
5. What starts a fight between the hipsters and the sailors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the reader soon realize about the story?
2. What causes Freddie and his friends to chase after the sailors?
3. The hipsters cannot get a lot of respect from the other sailors and the bar owner. Why is this?
4. What is the moral significance to this story?
5. How is Georgie self destructive?
6. Why does Vinnie allow his friends to throw knives at Georgie?
7. Where does Georgie live?
8. Explain the game of mum that the hipsters play?
9. The novel begins in this place and is frequented by what group?
10. What does this story reveal about Brooklyn residents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Ada symbolize innocence?
How do children in the novel symbolize innocence?
How does Ada symbolize childhood?
Essay Topic 2
Several characters have the chance to express mercy towards others, but fail. Discuss how each of the following characters is unable to show mercy:
Essay Topic 3
Why are the hipsters and sailors so different from one another?
How does Selby show that different groups can work together to create unreasonable violence?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)