|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author think that Georgie and her mother's relationship is?
2. What does this do to Georgie?
3. To help his daughter what does Suzy's father do?
4. In this story, what does it seem that people do to one another?
5. What are Tommy's true intentions for the end of the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Georgie sleep with Harry?
2. Compare the hipsters and sailors to one another.
3. Explain the game of mum that the hipsters play?
4. What makes the group of hipsters finally decide to stop beating one another up?
5. Who will not return Georgie's feelings?
6. As the reader begins Baby Makes Three, what kind of story do they assume this to be?
7. What is interesting about Georgie and her mother's relationship?
8. What do Tommy and Suzie enjoy doing the most?
9. The hipsters cannot get a lot of respect from the other sailors and the bar owner. Why is this?
10. How does Georgie's lifestyle isolated him from others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Suzie's baby change Tommy's life?
Does Tommy seem like a person that will do what is right to protect his wife and child?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, many women and children are abused at the hands of men.
Why are men the primary abusers, and why does Selby choose to show them as the primary abusers?
Explain your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Why are the hipsters and sailors so different from one another?
How does Selby show that different groups can work together to create unreasonable violence?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)