|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Georgie end her night?
2. Georgie waits for her mother to fall asleep so that she can go where?
3. Why does this person say she will never get married?
4. What do the sailors decide to do?
5. What does this do to Georgie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does her family react?
2. The hipsters cannot get a lot of respect from the other sailors and the bar owner. Why is this?
3. What makes the group of hipsters finally decide to stop beating one another up?
4. What do Tommy and Suzie enjoy doing the most?
5. When the police stop the fight, why does Freddie claim he attacked the solider?
6. What does the reader soon realize about the story?
7. What does this story reveal about Brooklyn residents?
8. Where does Georgie live?
9. The novel begins in this place and is frequented by what group?
10. How does Georgie's lifestyle isolated him from others?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Selby think there is a never ending circle of bitterness in the borough of Brooklyn?
Explain and describe the vicious circle that he feels exists for Brooklyn's residents.
Essay Topic 2
It seems as though many characters do not respect their partners. Analyze each of the following couples and explain how they do or do not have a healthy, trusting, respectful relationship:
Mike and Irene
Abe and Nancy
Tommy and Suzie
Essay Topic 3
Many characters use sex in different ways.
What characters use sex for money or to get ahead in their lives?
Which characters are denied sex?
Which characters partake in many sexual experiences to escape from their boring lives?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)