Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Outside of Greeks one night, Georgie tries to describe her feelings for Vinnie. What does Vinnie do?
2. What do Suzie and Tommy end up having?
3. What do the hipsters become scared of?
4. How does he react to the news?
5. What do Freddie and their friends consider themselves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Vinnie decide to tease Harry?
2. How does Georgie's lifestyle isolated him from others?
3. What is interesting about Georgie and her mother's relationship?
4. How is Georgie self destructive?
5. What makes the group of hipsters finally decide to stop beating one another up?
6. Compare the hipsters and sailors to one another.
7. What is the moral significance to this story?
8. The novel begins in this place and is frequented by what group?
9. Why does Georgie use drugs?
10. Who does not accept Georgie?
Essay Topic 1
How do Selby's characters view marriage?
How do they view sex?
To these characters, why can't their marriages also invoice sex?
Essay Topic 2
Why are the hipsters and sailors so different from one another?
How does Selby show that different groups can work together to create unreasonable violence?
Essay Topic 3
Selby's book caused a huge controversy during its publication. The major topics in the book consist of homosexuality, child abuse, cheating, stealing, violence, transvestites, anger, insanity, and drug use. Using your knowledge about these topics in the 1950s, how do you think the book was accepted by general American culture? How was it perceived in a more liberal Europe?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)