|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Bible passage create for the beginning of the story?
2. Why doesn't Georgie want to go home?
3. Why is Georgie different from many people around her?
4. Why do Tommy and Spook often meet?
5. In this story, what does it seem that people do to one another?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Georgie struggled to find for most of his life?
2. Why does Vinnie allow his friends to throw knives at Georgie?
3. Who does not accept Georgie?
4. The novel begins in this place and is frequented by what group?
5. How is Georgie self destructive?
6. What makes the group of hipsters finally decide to stop beating one another up?
7. Why does Georgie sleep with Harry?
8. Explain the game of mum that the hipsters play?
9. When Spook announces he has obtained an old police motorbike, how do the party guests react?
10. On the same day as the wedding, what else occurs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Selby is convinced that violence only happens in Brooklyn for two reasons. Name them.
Then, give two examples of how these two reasons caused violence in the book.
Do you agree with Selby's assertions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What characters are constantly faced with temptation?
Is temptation an excuse to act however you would like?
Name any character that is able to fight temptation.
Essay Topic 3
Selby writes Last Exit to Brooklyn like a collection of stories.
Is this effective to his storytelling?
Would it have been more effective to have the entire novel work as one cohesive unit?
Explain why or why not?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)