|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Georgie end her night?
(a) She decides to get completely drunk.
(b) She goes home crying.
(c) She tries to reunite with her brother.
(d) She tries to forget by sleeping with Harry.
2. What seems to happen a lot in the neighborhood in Brooklyn?
(a) A lot of senseless violence.
(b) Many men are sent off to war.
(c) The community is very close.
(d) Many children are killed.
3. What do the hipsters view the sailors as?
(c) Rednecks and squares.
(d) Redneck idiots.
4. At the end of the novel, what does Tommy give in to?
(a) Spook's incompetence.
(b) His mother's will.
(c) Suzie's demands.
(d) Peer pressure.
5. What does the reader think would have happened to the solider, had a police officer not stopped the beating?
(a) The sailors would have killed the hipsters.
(b) The gang would have gone to jail for killing.
(c) Someone would have died.
(d) The sailor would have overcome his abusers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with Suzy's father?
2. What doesn't Suzie's father consider concerning his daughter's pregnancy?
3. What do the hipsters do in this situation?
4. What does she hope she can find there?
5. What does Georgie's misery cause her to abuse?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do their lives change early on in the story?
2. When Spook announces he has obtained an old police motorbike, how do the party guests react?
3. What makes the group of hipsters finally decide to stop beating one another up?
4. On the same day as the wedding, what else occurs?
5. What is interesting about Georgie and her mother's relationship?
6. At the end of the story, what does the party end up being?
7. What is the moral significance to this story?
8. When the police stop the fight, why does Freddie claim he attacked the solider?
9. The hipsters cannot get a lot of respect from the other sailors and the bar owner. Why is this?
10. What has Georgie struggled to find for most of his life?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)