|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the hippies think of the music that the sailors play?
(a) They like the music and the sailors.
(b) They think it is very "square."
(c) They hate the sailors but like their music.
(d) They enjoy it.
2. What do the hipsters tell the police when they find them beating up a sailor?
(a) The sailor took their car.
(b) The sailor started the fight.
(c) The sailor insulted Freddie's wife.
(d) The sailor was stealing from them.
3. Who does Georgie call to come to the party that has begun?
(a) Vinnie and his friends.
(b) Other drag queen friends.
(c) Her drug dealer.
(d) Her brother.
4. Why does Shelby think that people participate in violence?
(a) They hate one another.
(b) They need entertainment.
(c) Because they cannot control their anger.
5. How does he react to the news?
(a) He is angry but then happy he has a grandson.
(b) He is overcome with sadness.
(c) He wants to be at the wedding.
(d) He hates her decisions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Georgie different from many people around her?
2. At the bike shops, what does Spook often do?
3. What does Brooklyn show it can have?
4. What do the sailors view the hipsters as?
5. What do Vinnie's friends do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What time does Harry hate spending with his wife?
2. Explain Selby's writing style as the fight between Freddie and Rosie begins.
3. What does the reader soon realize about the story?
4. Why is Harry upset when the strike finally comes to an end?
5. Compare the hipsters and sailors to one another.
6. When Harry no longer has an outlet for his repressed sexual feelings, what does he do?
7. How is Georgie self destructive?
8. What does this story reveal about Brooklyn residents?
9. When the police stop the fight, why does Freddie claim he attacked the solider?
10. What makes the group of hipsters finally decide to stop beating one another up?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)