|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mike reward himself after he changes his child's nappies?
(a) Gets a beer.
(b) Goes out with the boys.
(c) Goes to sleep.
(d) Plays with the child.
2. What other memories haunt Ada?
(a) Her son's death by another person.
(b) The car accident that killed her husband.
(c) Playing with her son Ira who died in WWII.
(d) Her family's fight for control over her life.
3. When Harry's wife questions where he is when he is not at home, what does Harry do?
(a) Screams at his wife and son.
(b) Pushes his wife down the stairs.
(c) Hits his son.
(d) Punches his wife.
4. What color is Vinnie's son's hair?
5. Who is his first sexual encounter with a transvestite with?
6. What does this particular story examine?
(a) The tragedy of life.
(b) The sadness of life.
(c) The circle of tragedy.
(d) The circle of life.
7. While bathing his young son, what does Harry Black begin doing?
(a) Touching his son's penis.
(b) Fantasizing about his wife.
(c) Fantasizing about other men.
(d) Touching himself.
8. What big purchase does he make to impress his friends and women?
(a) He gets a new job.
(b) He goes to a cool concert.
(c) He buys a Cadillac.
(d) He treats his wife very poorly.
9. When Harry treats Tralala like a lady, how does she act in return?
(a) Like a lady.
(b) She treats him like a man.
(c) She pretends that she does not feel anything.
(d) She falls in love with him.
10. As the strike continues, what happens to the workers' feelings about the strike?
(a) They get more excited because they will get more money.
(b) They grow tired of Harry.
(c) They get restless because they are not getting paid.
(d) They get violent with one another.
11. What stops Harry Black from continuing to do this?
(a) His wife calls him from another room.
(b) His wife walks into the room.
(c) His son splashes water at him.
(d) The phone rings.
12. What does Ada's character represent?
13. What is Abe's concern over his wife and kids needs?
(a) Getting a new job.
(b) His own needs.
(c) Impressing a new woman he met at a bar.
(d) Doing improvements on his car.
14. What theme does Tralala's character introduce into the book?
(a) The sexuality of women.
(b) That innocence can be found in anyone.
(c) The dangers of repressing one's true feelings.
(d) Anger of a woman.
15. What does Mike demand from Irene, although she works long hours?
(a) She look after the children
(b) She have sex with him even tough he is tired.
(c) He demands her to cook food for the family.
(d) She cooks and takes care of the children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Harry works at the steel mill, but enjoys this position also.
2. Why does the President hire Vinnie?
3. What does Doggie beg of Tralala?
4. What don't any of the men in the story have much respect for?
5. After a week of looking, Tralala becomes very unhappy. What doesn't she realize?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)