|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After months of violence, a fight finally breaks out on the picket lines. What do the police do to keep people in check?
(a) The police side with the union workers.
(b) The union workers turn on the police.
(c) The union workers charge against the truck drivers and police intervene.
(d) The police hose the fighting men down.
2. What is Harry's job when the union goes on strike?
(a) To make sure the entire staff does not work.
(b) Run the union shop and organize pickets.
(c) To get the union on the same side.
(d) He gets to walk around and hand out information.
3. Why does the President hire Vinnie?
(a) To deliver some essential items.
(b) To appease the union workers.
(c) Vinnie has trucker friends that can work with the union.
(d) Vinnie blackmails the President into hiring him.
4. What does Doggie beg of Tralala?
(a) TO have sex with him because he is a virgin.
(b) His money so he can take a cab home.
(c) His ID card so that he can get back to the naval base.
(d) To be his girlfriend because he is madly in love.
5. How does Tralala express all of her needs?
(a) With her facial emotions.
(b) Through her violent or sexual actions.
(c) Through letters and music.
(d) With her words.
6. What is Nancy missing from her life?
(a) She wants to be sexual with her husband.
(b) Kindness from her husband.
(c) Love from her children.
(d) Her own parents to guide her.
7. What does this provoke Vinnie to do?
(a) Admit to Harry he also likes men.
(b) Tease Harry about his homophobic rants.
(c) Take Harry to a place where he can try out his new dreams.
(d) Introduces Harry to a transvestite.
8. What was Tralala expecting from Harry when they leave one another?
(a) She thought he would have given her more money.
(b) She thought she would get paid a lot of money.
(c) She wanted him to declare his love.
(d) She thought he would stay with her.
9. How does Ada act as though nothing in her life has changed?
(a) She is slow to take up new technologies.
(b) She prepares her husband's pyjamas every night.
(c) She watches the same tv shows that she and her husband used to watch.
(d) She follows the same routine everyday.
10. What is Abe's concern over his wife and kids needs?
(a) Impressing a new woman he met at a bar.
(b) Getting a new job.
(c) Doing improvements on his car.
(d) His own needs.
11. Tralala thinks she will get paid a lot of money because ________________.
(a) Harry seems to be rich.
(b) Harry liked her a lot.
(c) Harry is buying her dresses and taking her to expensive dinners.
(d) She spent a lot of time with Harry.
12. When Harry's wife questions where he is when he is not at home, what does Harry do?
(a) Punches his wife.
(b) Hits his son.
(c) Screams at his wife and son.
(d) Pushes his wife down the stairs.
13. Because she is not getting any attention from sailors in Times Square, what does Tralala do?
(a) Walks into the bar with no pants on.
(b) Promises to have sex with anyone.
(c) Wears a very revealing outfit.
(d) Walks into a bar and shows her breasts to all the men present.
14. What could the reader assume the stories are about?
(a) Focuses on female fight.
(b) The lives of the children in these neighborhoods.
(c) This small community.
(d) Focuses on male dominance in American society in the fifties.
15. Why does Harry's new girlfriend want to break up with him?
(a) She wants to move in with him.
(b) He no longer has money to take her to expensive places.
(c) She wants him to leave his wife.
(d) He actually breaks up with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Harry feel about his wife?
2. Because his wife is taking too long in the bathroom, what does Vinnie decide to do?
3. Why is this action an odd thing for Ada to do?
4. Is Mike able to provide for his family?
5. How do all of the characters seem to feel at the end of the novel?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)