|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Shelby think that people participate in violence?
(b) Because they cannot control their anger.
(c) They need entertainment.
(d) They hate one another.
2. What does Rosie ask Freddie for?
(a) For $.50.
3. Who do the sailors think the hipsters sympathize with?
(b) Black people.
(d) Multiracial people.
4. What does the reader think would have happened to the solider, had a police officer not stopped the beating?
(a) The gang would have gone to jail for killing.
(b) The sailors would have killed the hipsters.
(c) Someone would have died.
(d) The sailor would have overcome his abusers.
5. What is Georgie failing to address about her life and her true feelings?
(a) Her desire for life.
(b) Her want of a relationship in her life.
(c) Her lonliness.
(d) Her urge to be "normal."
6. How does Georgie isolate herself?
(a) By wanting to hang out with her mother.
(b) Not going out to be with friends.
(c) With her hair style.
(d) By the ways she dresses.
7. Even though Tommy and Spook are supposed to be friends, how is Spook treated?
(a) Very well.
(b) Like a brother.
(c) Like the baby's uncle.
8. What could have stopped Tommy from making a bad decision?
(a) Getting a ride to Spook's apartment.
(b) Talking to Spook.
(c) Going home with Spook.
(d) Going for a ride with Spook.
9. When Vinnie left prison, how did he feel?
(a) Like a grown man.
(c) Very angry about life.
(d) Challenged with how to live his life.
10. What seems to be one of the biggest obstacles in Georgie's life?
(a) Getting others to accept her.
(b) Finding love with another person like her.
(c) Having her mother's love.
(d) Her relationship with her brother who cannot accept her.
11. What does the Bible passage create for the beginning of the story?
(a) Sets the mood or tone.
(b) It creates the novel's moral center.
(c) Create anger in the characters.
(d) Makes the reader bored.
12. What is Spook obsessed with?
(a) His job.
13. What are Vinnie and Sal thought to be?
(a) Good people.
(c) Smart men.
(d) Old men.
14. Who backs up the story?
(d) The hipsters.
15. How does he react to the news?
(a) He is angry but then happy he has a grandson.
(b) He wants to be at the wedding.
(c) He hates her decisions.
(d) He is overcome with sadness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the violence in the novel the most shocking?
2. What does Georgie's misery cause her to abuse?
3. Who does Georgie call to come to the party that has begun?
4. What has Georgie taken that makes her a little numb to the pain?
5. What doesn't he notice about his daughter until it is too late?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)