|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What doesn't he notice about his daughter until it is too late?
(a) She was pregnant.
(b) She is about to commit sucide.
(c) She is going to run off with her husband to get married.
(d) She has cut her hair.
2. What do Suzie and Tommy end up having?
(a) A boy and a girl.
(b) A girl.
(c) Identical twins.
(d) A baby boy.
3. What makes the violence in the novel the most shocking?
(a) Women partake in it.
(b) The brutality of Selby.
(c) Vinnie's cunning ability.
(d) The way that Selby writes it.
4. Who do the sailors think the hipsters sympathize with?
(a) Multiracial people.
(d) Black people.
5. What seems to happen a lot in the neighborhood in Brooklyn?
(a) A lot of senseless violence.
(b) Many men are sent off to war.
(c) Many children are killed.
(d) The community is very close.
6. What are Vinnie and Sal thought to be?
(b) Old men.
(c) Smart men.
(d) Good people.
7. What do the sailors decide to do?
(a) Get the police.
(b) Join the fight.
(c) They run away from the fight.
(d) Go back inside the bar.
8. What do the hipsters tell the police when they find them beating up a sailor?
(a) The sailor insulted Freddie's wife.
(b) The sailor took their car.
(c) The sailor was stealing from them.
(d) The sailor started the fight.
9. What does the Bible passage create for the beginning of the story?
(a) Sets the mood or tone.
(b) Create anger in the characters.
(c) Makes the reader bored.
(d) It creates the novel's moral center.
10. What does Brooklyn show it can have?
(a) A healthy community.
(b) A community spirit.
(c) Fun in the community.
(d) An escape for residents.
11. What does Spook carry around with him?
(a) A motorbike helmet.
(b) His license to drive.
(c) His little black book.
(d) Spare parts for a bike.
12. At home, how does Georgie's mother feel about Georgie's life choices?
(a) She hates Georgie for being gay.
(b) She still loves Georgie because she is her son no matter what.
(c) She loves her son, but not the woman he pretends to be.
(d) She hates her son for dressing like a woman.
13. Once Georgie gets to this place, what are most of the people complaining about?
(a) They have mostly run out of drugs.
(b) That there are so many drag queen prostitutes.
(c) They (the drag queens) are sad that there are no men there to flirt with.
(d) They have run out of alcohol.
14. What really ends up happening to Tommy?
(a) He goes home with another woman.
(b) He wanders around drunk.
(c) He passes out at the party.
(d) He goes home with his friends.
15. Outside of Greeks one night, Georgie tries to describe her feelings for Vinnie. What does Vinnie do?
(a) He teases her.
(b) He tells Georgie to get lost.
(c) He tells her he loves her.
(d) He embraces her.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Vinnie begin his criminal activities?
2. What is Georgie failing to address about her life and her true feelings?
3. When this group runs out of things to talk about, what do they end up doing?
4. What does the reader think would have happened to the solider, had a police officer not stopped the beating?
5. When Vinnie left prison, how did he feel?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)