|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes the violence in the novel the most shocking?
(a) The way that Selby writes it.
(b) Vinnie's cunning ability.
(c) Women partake in it.
(d) The brutality of Selby.
2. Who does Georgie call to come to the party that has begun?
(a) Other drag queen friends.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Vinnie and his friends.
(d) Her drug dealer.
3. What is wrong with Suzy's father?
(a) He is an alcoholic.
(b) He is not around.
(c) He has a deadly disease.
(d) He hates his daughter.
4. Why does this person say she will never get married?
(a) She has never wanted to have a family.
(b) She thinks men get bored with their wives.
(c) She hopes to get the attention of men.
(d) She knows how to use birth control.
5. Why was Vinnie given so many chances to lead a good, criminal free life?
(a) Everyone thought he was too young to be committing the crimes he was accused of.
(b) His family had a connection in the courts.
(c) His older brothers made sure to take the fall.
(d) Vinnie comes from a very prominent Brooklyn family.
6. At the end of the novel, what does Tommy give in to?
(a) Spook's incompetence.
(b) Suzie's demands.
(c) Peer pressure.
(d) His mother's will.
7. What does this do to Georgie?
(a) She feels excited.
(b) Makes her sad. She takes more drugs to feel better.
(c) She vows to keep trying.
(d) She is resigned to his decision.
8. What is the violence in the novel equal to?
(a) The fight was not very violent.
(b) Violence in war.
(c) The beast in the Bible quote.
(d) Crime on the streets.
9. What do the sailors decide to do?
(a) Get the police.
(b) They run away from the fight.
(c) Join the fight.
(d) Go back inside the bar.
10. What does Georgie's misery cause her to abuse?
(a) Relationships with others.
(c) Her mother's attention.
(d) Alcohol and drugs.
11. At the end of the night, where does Suzy go?
(a) She takes the baby and leaves.
(b) She leaves with her husband.
(c) She goes to her parents' house.
(d) She goes home with another man.
12. Georgie waits for her mother to fall asleep so that she can go where?
(a) To Vinnies.
(b) Out with Regina.
(c) To Goldie's house.
(d) To the market.
13. Why won't the owner of the bar address Freddie and his group as "Sir"?
(a) They are always rude to him.
(b) He does not respect the unemployed group.
(c) He does not like the hipsters.
(d) He does not think they value themseleves.
14. When did Vinnie begin his criminal activities?
(a) At the age of 19.
(b) At 10.
(c) At the age of 12.
(d) At 20.
15. To help his daughter what does Suzy's father do?
(a) Gives her money.
(b) Pays for an elaborate wedding.
(c) Reserves a hall for Tommy and Suzy to get married in.
(d) Makes Tommy swear to marry her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tommy really enjoy doing?
2. What really ends up happening to Tommy?
3. At the bike shops, what does Spook often do?
4. Why does Georgie suddenly become hysterical?
5. What do Suzie and Tommy end up having?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)