|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does this do to Georgie?
(a) She vows to keep trying.
(b) She is resigned to his decision.
(c) She feels excited.
(d) Makes her sad. She takes more drugs to feel better.
2. What does everyone seem to be doing?
(a) Bringing each other down.
(b) Putting their way of life above each other.
(c) Making better lives for themselves.
(d) Trying to get ahead in life.
3. What do the hippies think of the music that the sailors play?
(a) They think it is very "square."
(b) They hate the sailors but like their music.
(c) They like the music and the sailors.
(d) They enjoy it.
4. At the end of the novel, what does Tommy give in to?
(a) Spook's incompetence.
(b) His mother's will.
(c) Suzie's demands.
(d) Peer pressure.
5. What starts a fight between the hipsters and the sailors?
(a) Freddie hits Rosie.
(b) Rosie hits Freddie.
(c) Vinnie hits a sailor.
(d) Freddie confronts a sailor.
6. In the parking lot, what game do the hipsters decide to play?
(a) They play chicken with their cars.
(b) They play a game of mum.
(c) They throw the horseshoe around.
(d) They play a card game called Spades.
7. Why was Vinnie given so many chances to lead a good, criminal free life?
(a) Everyone thought he was too young to be committing the crimes he was accused of.
(b) Vinnie comes from a very prominent Brooklyn family.
(c) His older brothers made sure to take the fall.
(d) His family had a connection in the courts.
8. How would people describe the ceremony?
(a) Lacking emotion.
9. What does the reader think would have happened to the solider, had a police officer not stopped the beating?
(a) The sailor would have overcome his abusers.
(b) The sailors would have killed the hipsters.
(c) Someone would have died.
(d) The gang would have gone to jail for killing.
10. What is Spook obsessed with?
(c) His job.
11. Who do the sailors think the hipsters sympathize with?
(b) Multiracial people.
(c) Black people.
12. What is the violence in the novel equal to?
(a) The beast in the Bible quote.
(b) The fight was not very violent.
(c) Violence in war.
(d) Crime on the streets.
13. What do Suzie and Tommy end up having?
(a) A baby boy.
(b) Identical twins.
(c) A boy and a girl.
(d) A girl.
14. Why does Shelby think that people participate in violence?
(a) They hate one another.
(b) They need entertainment.
(c) Because they cannot control their anger.
15. What seems to happen a lot in the neighborhood in Brooklyn?
(a) A lot of senseless violence.
(b) Many children are killed.
(c) The community is very close.
(d) Many men are sent off to war.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Spook react to their laughter?
2. What does Spook carry around with him?
3. How does he react to the news?
4. How does Georgie feel about her lifestyle?
5. What do the hipsters do in this situation?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)