Part One: Another Day Another Dollar.
• The novel begins at Greeks bar in Brooklyn. This is where the hipsters and sailors hang out.
• There are tensions at the bar because the hipsters and sailors do not get along.
• Hipsters do not have jobs and like to cause trouble, while the sailors are ruled by regulations.
• At the bar, Freddie talks to Rosie, a prostitute. She asks him for money and he hits her.
• The sailors see the interaction and make fun of them.
• Freddie and his gang go after the sailor and beat him up.
• The beating does not stop until the police stop the hipsters.
• The story examines senseless violence in the neighborhood of Brooklyn.
• All the hoodlums such as Vinnie and Sal are unemployed and looking for something to do.
• Selby suggests the violence happens in America because the country is split into too many factions...
This section contains 1,212 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)