|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mark Carwardine, a staggering ________ have been found and identified so far.
2. What term describes the process by which the bird cleans its beak of meat after eating, by rubbing it along a branch?
3. What was the name of the sugar estate's elderly gatekeeper and eccentric Mauritian who would not let anybody through his gate without a permit?
4. Douglas Adams explains in the chapter Blind Panic that foreigners are not allowed to ________ in China.
5. According to Adams in the first sentence of chapter Blind Panic, ________ are the things you don't know you're making.
Short Essay Questions
1. What has since happened to the Northern White rhinos in Zaire as detailed by Kes Hillman-Smith in the chapter Mark's Epilogue?
2. Explain Carl Jones and Richard Lewis' s first obsession as seen in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
3. What is the significance of the title Sifting Through the Embers?
4. What two odd things did Adams find about the music he heard while in China? Explain.
5. Analyze the importance of the reincarnation of the drowned princess to the Chinese culture, as described in Blind Panic.
6. Analyze the two new species of lemur found in Madagascar, according to the chapter Mark's Epilogue.
7. Analyze the letter Douglas and Mark received from Andy Roberts in the chapter, Mark's Epilogue.
8. Analyze the Tiananmen Gate.
9. What odd thing did Adams notice while in China that he describes in the chapter Blind Panic?
10. What is Mark Carwardine's response to the question: "Does it really matter if the Yangtze river dolphin, or the kakapo, or the northern white rhino, or any other species live on only in scientists' notebooks?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay discussing the relevance of Last Chance to See to today's society. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Interpret the meaning of "Darkest Africa," as it relates to the chapter, Leopard-Skin Pillbox Hat.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay discussing the significance of the books title, Last Chance to See. How is the title developed throughout the book?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)