|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Adams explains that all the history of China is symbolically focused at the ________.
2. According to Carwardine, the population of the Wild Pink pigeons on Mauritius had ________.
3. The chapter Blind Panic explains that the baiji dolphin was first discovered in ________.
4. Who has long been discredited as a bourgeois capitalist running-dog lackey, according to the chapter Blind Panic?
5. Douglas Adams explains in the chapter Blind Panic that foreigners are not allowed to ________ in China.
Short Essay Questions
1. What two odd things did Adams find about the music he heard while in China? Explain.
2. Analyze the letter Douglas and Mark received from Andy Roberts in the chapter, Mark's Epilogue.
3. Explain the beginning of the story of the Sibylline books. How do the townspeople respond to the old beggar woman?
4. Analyze the importance of the reincarnation of the drowned princess to the Chinese culture, as described in Blind Panic.
5. Why do the people of the city say that the old beggar woman can't be very wise or knowledgeable? Explain.
6. Explain how Round Island has remained a refuge for unique species as described in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
7. Explain Carl Jones and Richard Lewis' s first obsession as seen in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
8. Analyze and describe Professor Zhou.
9. What book bothered Douglas Adams when he was young? How does he feel about the book now? Explain.
10. What was the very rare bird on the island Mauritius? Describe this bird.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in response to the following question found in Mark's Epilogue: Does it really matter if the Yangtze River dolphin, or the kakapo, or the northern white rhino, or any other species live on only in scientists' notebooks?" State your opinion and support your position with references from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how discotheques are used as a metaphor for the confusion that humans bring into the worlds of animals. Why does he use this metaphor? What affect does it have on the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Detail the importance and history of the Great Ape as seen in the chapter, Leopard-Skin Pillbox Hat.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)