|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Adams explains that in the thirties, the Peace Hotel was known as the ________.
2. In November ________, Carl found a parakeet nest with three eggs inside.
3. What was a mining product used in producing t toothpaste, iron and steel casting, and also as an additive for pig food?
4. On the expedition, whose job was it to turn up with a suitcase and try to remember what happened long enough to write it down?
5. According to a disturbing letter received by Douglas and Mark from a couple who had been working in China, the couple says that they ate ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the beginning of the story of the Sibylline books. How do the townspeople respond to the old beggar woman?
2. What does the note in the hotel's directory of guest services state according to Adams in the chapter Blind Panic?
3. Describe and identify Pink as detailed in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
4. What occurs when they send the old beggar woman away?
5. What has since happened to the Northern White rhinos in Zaire as detailed by Kes Hillman-Smith in the chapter Mark's Epilogue?
6. Analyze the Tiananmen Gate.
7. Explain how Round Island has remained a refuge for unique species as described in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
8. What is the significance of the title Sifting Through the Embers?
9. Discuss the Tiananmen Square as described by Adams in the chapter Blind Panic.
10. What two distinctive sounds in China does Adams encounter in the chapter Blind Panic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In a detailed essay, explain the correlation between the story Sifting Through the Embers to the overall meaning of the book, Last Chance to See.
Essay Topic 2
Interpret the meaning of "Darkest Africa," as it relates to the chapter, Leopard-Skin Pillbox Hat.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the significance of the chapter titled Blind Panic to the overall meaning of Last Chance to See.
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)