|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ________ is when a bird shakes its wings and body and is a sign that the bird feels ________.
2. In what genre is Last Chance to see classified?
3. Adams states in chapter Blind Panic that everyone in China rides ________.
4. Who was the premier expert on the endangered baiji described as a polite, kindly man about 60 years old, working at Nanjing University?
5. All of the following animals are mentioned in the book, Last Chance to See, except for which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Analyze the two new species of lemur found in Madagascar, according to the chapter Mark's Epilogue.
2. What is Mark Carwardine's response to the question: "Does it really matter if the Yangtze river dolphin, or the kakapo, or the northern white rhino, or any other species live on only in scientists' notebooks?"
3. What does the note in the hotel's directory of guest services state according to Adams in the chapter Blind Panic?
4. Define the term "exotic species." Explain why a disaster usually is the result when species is introduced from abroad.
5. What was the very rare bird on the island Mauritius? Describe this bird.
6. Analyze one of the problems with breeding birds in captivity.
7. Explain how Round Island has remained a refuge for unique species as described in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
8. What odd thing did Adams notice while in China that he describes in the chapter Blind Panic?
9. Analyze the Tiananmen Gate.
10. What book bothered Douglas Adams when he was young? How does he feel about the book now? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in response to the following question found in Mark's Epilogue: Does it really matter if the Yangtze River dolphin, or the kakapo, or the northern white rhino, or any other species live on only in scientists' notebooks?" State your opinion and support your position with references from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay in which you present a case either for or against animal captivity. Use specific examples from Last Chance to See.
Essay Topic 3
Show how the Europeans, during the years of exploration, affect the islands of the Indian and Pacific Ocean. What steps are being taken to reclaim the native ecology? Give 2-3 examples from the book and demonstrate why reclaiming the native ecosystem can prove vital to the continuation of a species.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)