|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Carwardine, there are only ______ elephants left in Africa due to poachers.
2. Adams and Carwardine entered the Tiananmen Square on ________.
3. What was Richard Lewis' profession?
4. After being rejected by the townsmen for the second time, the old beggar woman burned how many more books?
5. What was the point of view of the book, Last Chance to See?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the very rare bird on the island Mauritius? Describe this bird.
2. Analyze the Tiananmen Gate.
3. Explain what happened to the Passenger pigeon according to Mark Carwardine.
4. Discuss the Tiananmen Square as described by Adams in the chapter Blind Panic.
5. What book bothered Douglas Adams when he was young? How does he feel about the book now? Explain.
6. Explain Carl Jones and Richard Lewis' s first obsession as seen in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
7. Why do the people of the city say that the old beggar woman can't be very wise or knowledgeable? Explain.
8. Analyze the importance of the reincarnation of the drowned princess to the Chinese culture, as described in Blind Panic.
9. Describe and identify Pink as detailed in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
10. Define the term "exotic species." Explain why a disaster usually is the result when species is introduced from abroad.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the meaning of the track and bowl system, as it relates to the book, Last Chance to See. How does Adams describe the track and bowl system? Why is it so important?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that exhibits how tourists affect Douglas Adams' views on nature. Why must governments accept tourism in protected areas? Provide specific examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Clearly identify the connection between the term "assumptions" and the chapter Blind Panic.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)