|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the point of view of the book, Last Chance to See?
2. In November ________, Carl found a parakeet nest with three eggs inside.
3. Adams and Carwardine entered the Tiananmen Square on ________.
4. According to Adams, the term "fed up" actually comes from ________.
5. What was the name of the sugar estate's elderly gatekeeper and eccentric Mauritian who would not let anybody through his gate without a permit?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare, what happened to Reunion Island? Explain.
2. Analyze and describe Professor Zhou.
3. Analyze the two new species of lemur found in Madagascar, according to the chapter Mark's Epilogue.
4. Explain the beginning of the story of the Sibylline books. How do the townspeople respond to the old beggar woman?
5. Define the term "exotic species." Explain why a disaster usually is the result when species is introduced from abroad.
6. What two odd things did Adams find about the music he heard while in China? Explain.
7. Analyze the letter Douglas and Mark received from Andy Roberts in the chapter, Mark's Epilogue.
8. What is Mark Carwardine's response to the question: "Was this really our last chance to see these animals?"
9. What is Mark Carwardine's response to the question: "Does it really matter if the Yangtze river dolphin, or the kakapo, or the northern white rhino, or any other species live on only in scientists' notebooks?"
10. What is the significance of the title Sifting Through the Embers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the effects humans have on nature and the importance of biodiversity. Reference the book to support your analysis.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay in which you present a case either for or against animal captivity. Use specific examples from Last Chance to See.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the significance of the chapter titled Blind Panic to the overall meaning of Last Chance to See.
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)