|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adams claim to be the most famous of all the animals on Mauritius?
2. What was the name of the spectacular remnant of the days when Shanghai was one of the most glamorous and cosmopolitan ports in the world?
3. The trips found in Last Chance to See were recorded for ________.
4. What was the name of the sugar estate's elderly gatekeeper and eccentric Mauritian who would not let anybody through his gate without a permit?
5. Which environment alone contains half the world's species of animals and plants, according to Carwardine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What odd thing did Adams notice while in China that he describes in the chapter Blind Panic?
2. Explain how Round Island has remained a refuge for unique species as described in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
3. According to the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare, what happened to Reunion Island? Explain.
4. What two odd things did Adams find about the music he heard while in China? Explain.
5. What is Mark Carwardine's response to the question: "Does it really matter if the Yangtze river dolphin, or the kakapo, or the northern white rhino, or any other species live on only in scientists' notebooks?"
6. What book bothered Douglas Adams when he was young? How does he feel about the book now? Explain.
7. Analyze and describe Professor Zhou.
8. Why do the people of the city say that the old beggar woman can't be very wise or knowledgeable? Explain.
9. What was the very rare bird on the island Mauritius? Describe this bird.
10. What two distinctive sounds in China does Adams encounter in the chapter Blind Panic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that exhibits how tourists affect Douglas Adams' views on nature. Why must governments accept tourism in protected areas? Provide specific examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay discussing the significance of the books title, Last Chance to See. How is the title developed throughout the book?
Essay Topic 3
Research and compose an essay on the benefits and contributions of one of the the six funds/projects found in One More Chance. Discuss the impact these funds or projects have on endangered species detailed in the book.
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)