|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. All of the following are locations visited by Adams and Carwardine, except for which of the following?
2. Which environment alone contains half the world's species of animals and plants, according to Carwardine?
3. What was the point of view of the book, Last Chance to See?
4. The trips found in Last Chance to See were recorded for ________.
5. ________ is when a bird shakes its wings and body and is a sign that the bird feels ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Define the term "exotic species." Explain why a disaster usually is the result when species is introduced from abroad.
2. Analyze the ending of the story of the Sibylline books.
3. Analyze the two new species of lemur found in Madagascar, according to the chapter Mark's Epilogue.
4. Explain Carl Jones and Richard Lewis' s first obsession as seen in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
5. Analyze and describe Professor Zhou.
6. What book bothered Douglas Adams when he was young? How does he feel about the book now? Explain.
7. Explain what happened to the Passenger pigeon according to Mark Carwardine.
8. Describe and identify Pink as detailed in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
9. What occurs when they send the old beggar woman away?
10. Analyze one of the problems with breeding birds in captivity.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Show how the Europeans, during the years of exploration, affect the islands of the Indian and Pacific Ocean. What steps are being taken to reclaim the native ecology? Give 2-3 examples from the book and demonstrate why reclaiming the native ecosystem can prove vital to the continuation of a species.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay in response to the following question found in Mark's Epilogue: Does it really matter if the Yangtze River dolphin, or the kakapo, or the northern white rhino, or any other species live on only in scientists' notebooks?" State your opinion and support your position with references from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Detail the importance and history of the Great Ape as seen in the chapter, Leopard-Skin Pillbox Hat.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)