|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Adams wrote Last Chance to See, there were ________ human beings on earth.
2. Adams and Carwardine also received a letter from Kes Hillman-Smith in Zaire, saying that ________ baby Northern White rhinos had been born in Garamba since they left, bringing the total population up to ________.
3. Who has long been discredited as a bourgeois capitalist running-dog lackey, according to the chapter Blind Panic?
4. According to Carwardine, there are only ______ elephants left in Africa due to poachers.
5. All of the following are locations visited by Adams and Carwardine, except for which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Carl Jones and Richard Lewis' s first obsession as seen in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
2. What book bothered Douglas Adams when he was young? How does he feel about the book now? Explain.
3. Explain Carl Jones's character according to Adams in Rare, or Medium Rare.
4. Discuss the Tiananmen Square as described by Adams in the chapter Blind Panic.
5. Analyze the ending of the story of the Sibylline books.
6. What two odd things did Adams find about the music he heard while in China? Explain.
7. What was the very rare bird on the island Mauritius? Describe this bird.
8. What does the note in the hotel's directory of guest services state according to Adams in the chapter Blind Panic?
9. What is the significance of the title Sifting Through the Embers?
10. Describe and identify Pink as detailed in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Detail the importance and history of the Great Ape as seen in the chapter, Leopard-Skin Pillbox Hat.
Essay Topic 2
Write a research paper on the Aye-aye. Explain the major changes that have occurred since the publishing of Last Chance to See.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the theme of poaching contributes to the meaning and significance of Last Chance to See. Define poaching and describe its effects on endangered species. Discuss current measures to circumvent poachers in many countries.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)