|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has long been discredited as a bourgeois capitalist running-dog lackey, according to the chapter Blind Panic?
2. On the expedition, whose job was it to turn up with a suitcase and try to remember what happened long enough to write it down?
3. Professor Zhou said that ________ in the Yangtze was a major problem for the baiji dolphins, and severely interfered with their echolocation.
4. What was the name of the man who gets passengers in his Land Rover to answer questions by watching them rather than the dangerous road until they respond?
5. According to Carwardine, the population of the Wild Pink pigeons on Mauritius had ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What has since happened to the Northern White rhinos in Zaire as detailed by Kes Hillman-Smith in the chapter Mark's Epilogue?
2. What odd thing did Adams notice while in China that he describes in the chapter Blind Panic?
3. Analyze the importance of the reincarnation of the drowned princess to the Chinese culture, as described in Blind Panic.
4. Define the term "exotic species." Explain why a disaster usually is the result when species is introduced from abroad.
5. What book bothered Douglas Adams when he was young? How does he feel about the book now? Explain.
6. According to the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare, what happened to Reunion Island? Explain.
7. Explain the beginning of the story of the Sibylline books. How do the townspeople respond to the old beggar woman?
8. Analyze the Tiananmen Gate.
9. Discuss the Tiananmen Square as described by Adams in the chapter Blind Panic.
10. What is Mark Carwardine's response to the question: "Does it really matter if the Yangtze river dolphin, or the kakapo, or the northern white rhino, or any other species live on only in scientists' notebooks?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interpret the meaning of "Darkest Africa," as it relates to the chapter, Leopard-Skin Pillbox Hat.
Essay Topic 2
In a well-organized essay, compare and contrast an endangered species to a threatened species. Use specific examples from the text to support your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay discussing the relevance of Last Chance to See to today's society. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)