|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which environment alone contains half the world's species of animals and plants, according to Carwardine?
2. Who wrote Douglas and Mark a letter soon after they returned to England about the kakapo's slow road to recovery?
3. When Adams wrote Last Chance to See, there were ________ human beings on earth.
4. Adams explains that in the thirties, the Peace Hotel was known as the ________.
5. According to Richard in Rare, or Medium Rare, there are no interesting birds on Reunion because ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Analyze the letter Douglas and Mark received from Andy Roberts in the chapter, Mark's Epilogue.
2. Discuss the Tiananmen Square as described by Adams in the chapter Blind Panic.
3. Analyze the Tiananmen Gate.
4. Define the term "exotic species." Explain why a disaster usually is the result when species is introduced from abroad.
5. Analyze the ending of the story of the Sibylline books.
6. What book bothered Douglas Adams when he was young? How does he feel about the book now? Explain.
7. What was the very rare bird on the island Mauritius? Describe this bird.
8. Why do the people of the city say that the old beggar woman can't be very wise or knowledgeable? Explain.
9. What is Mark Carwardine's response to the question: "Was this really our last chance to see these animals?"
10. What two distinctive sounds in China does Adams encounter in the chapter Blind Panic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Show how the Europeans, during the years of exploration, affect the islands of the Indian and Pacific Ocean. What steps are being taken to reclaim the native ecology? Give 2-3 examples from the book and demonstrate why reclaiming the native ecosystem can prove vital to the continuation of a species.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how discotheques are used as a metaphor for the confusion that humans bring into the worlds of animals. Why does he use this metaphor? What affect does it have on the reader?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay discussing the significance of the books title, Last Chance to See. How is the title developed throughout the book?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)