|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Adams wrote Last Chance to See, there were ________ human beings on earth.
2. On the expedition, whose job was it to turn up with a suitcase and try to remember what happened long enough to write it down?
3. When asked in chapter Blind Panic "are you feeling nervous about something," Adams replies, "________."
4. Douglas Adams explains that in the middle of one of the biggest, longest, noisiest, dirtiest thoroughfares in the world lives the reincarnation of a ________.
5. What was the name of the brilliant, but mad Welshman in his late 30s, who loves birds to the point of obsession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two odd things did Adams find about the music he heard while in China? Explain.
2. Explain Carl Jones's character according to Adams in Rare, or Medium Rare.
3. According to the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare, what happened to Reunion Island? Explain.
4. Analyze the two new species of lemur found in Madagascar, according to the chapter Mark's Epilogue.
5. What is Mark Carwardine's response to the question: "Was this really our last chance to see these animals?"
6. What occurs when they send the old beggar woman away?
7. What is Mark Carwardine's response to the question: "Does it really matter if the Yangtze river dolphin, or the kakapo, or the northern white rhino, or any other species live on only in scientists' notebooks?"
8. Analyze the ending of the story of the Sibylline books.
9. Why do the people of the city say that the old beggar woman can't be very wise or knowledgeable? Explain.
10. Analyze one of the problems with breeding birds in captivity.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Detail the importance and history of the Great Ape as seen in the chapter, Leopard-Skin Pillbox Hat.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how discotheques are used as a metaphor for the confusion that humans bring into the worlds of animals. Why does he use this metaphor? What affect does it have on the reader?
Essay Topic 3
In a well-organized essay, compare and contrast an endangered species to a threatened species. Use specific examples from the text to support your essay.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)