|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Adams reveals that both Richard and Carl's first obsession was for ________.
2. Who was the premier expert on the endangered baiji described as a polite, kindly man about 60 years old, working at Nanjing University?
3. What is the name of a plant or animal that is native to an island or region and is found nowhere else at all?
4. What was the name of the man who gets passengers in his Land Rover to answer questions by watching them rather than the dangerous road until they respond?
5. What was the name of the non-round island near Mauritius Island in the Indian Ocean?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare, what happened to Reunion Island? Explain.
2. What odd thing did Adams notice while in China that he describes in the chapter Blind Panic?
3. Analyze and describe Professor Zhou.
4. What does the note in the hotel's directory of guest services state according to Adams in the chapter Blind Panic?
5. Discuss the Tiananmen Square as described by Adams in the chapter Blind Panic.
6. Analyze one of the problems with breeding birds in captivity.
7. Explain how Round Island has remained a refuge for unique species as described in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
8. Analyze the Tiananmen Gate.
9. Explain what happened to the Passenger pigeon according to Mark Carwardine.
10. Describe and identify Pink as detailed in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Show how the Europeans, during the years of exploration, affect the islands of the Indian and Pacific Ocean. What steps are being taken to reclaim the native ecology? Give 2-3 examples from the book and demonstrate why reclaiming the native ecosystem can prove vital to the continuation of a species.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay that exhibits how tourists affect Douglas Adams' views on nature. Why must governments accept tourism in protected areas? Provide specific examples from the book to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how discotheques are used as a metaphor for the confusion that humans bring into the worlds of animals. Why does he use this metaphor? What affect does it have on the reader?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)