|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After being rejected by the towns people, the old beggar woman burned ________ books.
2. All of the following animals are mentioned in the book, Last Chance to See, except for which of the following?
3. Adams discovers that condoms are referred to as a ________ in China.
4. Mark explains that, "There are so many threatened animals around the world that, at the rate of ________ every ________ weeks, it would have taken Douglas and me more than three hundred years to search for them all."
5. According to a disturbing letter received by Douglas and Mark from a couple who had been working in China, the couple says that they ate ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Analyze the letter Douglas and Mark received from Andy Roberts in the chapter, Mark's Epilogue.
2. What odd thing did Adams notice while in China that he describes in the chapter Blind Panic?
3. Why do the people of the city say that the old beggar woman can't be very wise or knowledgeable? Explain.
4. What is Mark Carwardine's response to the question: "Does it really matter if the Yangtze river dolphin, or the kakapo, or the northern white rhino, or any other species live on only in scientists' notebooks?"
5. Analyze the ending of the story of the Sibylline books.
6. What is Mark Carwardine's response to the question: "Was this really our last chance to see these animals?"
7. What two distinctive sounds in China does Adams encounter in the chapter Blind Panic?
8. Describe and identify Pink as detailed in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
9. Explain what happened to the Passenger pigeon according to Mark Carwardine.
10. Explain the beginning of the story of the Sibylline books. How do the townspeople respond to the old beggar woman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay discussing the relevance of Last Chance to See to today's society. Use specific examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
In a well-organized essay, compare and contrast an endangered species to a threatened species. Use specific examples from the text to support your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Detail the importance and history of the Great Ape as seen in the chapter, Leopard-Skin Pillbox Hat.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)