|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the warden's wife on Little Barrier Island's?
2. Who was an extremely experienced and knowledgeable zoologist who was working at that time for the World Wildlife Fund?
3. What is the name of the tiny, idyllic, rain-forest island just off the northeast coast of Madagascar?
4. What does DOC stand for as it relates to the chapter, Heartbeats in the Night?
5. Mark Carwardine explains that the best way to catch a Komodo dragon is to have a ________ that has been dead for ________ days.
Short Essay Questions
1. Analyze and describe the Kakapo.
2. Illustrate the other two people sharing the hut with Adams and Carwardine in the Virunga Volcanoes.
3. How does Adams answer the big question: "How on earth has the Kakapo managed to last this long?"
4. Explain Dr. Struan Sutherland's answer to the question: What does one do when bitten by a poisonous snake?
5. Analyze the Northern White rhinoceros of Czechoslovakia.
6. What is Kakapo Castle, which is found in the chapter Heartbeats in the Night?
7. Analyze the title of Heartbeats in the Night.
8. Define primary rain forest and its importance to the ecological system.
9. Explain the term "habituating," as described in the chapter, Leopard-Skin Pillbox Hat.
10. Describe the Kea, as discussed in Heartbeats in the Night.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a research paper on the Aye-aye. Explain the major changes that have occurred since the publishing of Last Chance to See.
Essay Topic 2
In a well-organized essay, compare and contrast an endangered species to a threatened species. Use specific examples from the text to support your essay.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the significance of the chapter titled Blind Panic to the overall meaning of Last Chance to See.
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)