|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the man in Melbourne who Adams claim knew more about poisonous snakes than anyone else on earth?
2. Who was the charming man with a squarish face, a shock of wavy black hair, and a thick black mustache that sat on his lip like a bar of chocolate?
3. What is the name of the warden's wife on Little Barrier Island's?
4. What is the name of the tiny, idyllic, rain-forest island just off the northeast coast of Madagascar?
5. Who knows more about Kakapos than anyone else in the world, according to Adams?
Short Essay Questions
1. What peculiar thing happened to Adams in Twig Technology?
2. Explain the significance of "darkest Africa," as seen in the chapter Leopard-Skin Pillbox Hat.
3. Discuss the poaching problem described in the chapter, Leopard-Skin Pillbox Hat.
4. What is one of the more dangerous animals in Africa, according to Adams? Explain.
5. Analyze the title of Heartbeats in the Night.
6. Describe the remarkable feature of the Aye-aye that both Adams and Carwardine analyzed.
7. Analyze the Northern White rhinoceros of Czechoslovakia.
8. Analyze Don Merton as described by Adams in Heartbeats in the Night.
9. Describe the Komodo dragons found in chapter Here Be Chickens.
10. Compare and contrast Mark Carwardine to Douglas Adams, as described in chapter Twig Technology.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in response to the following question found in Mark's Epilogue: Does it really matter if the Yangtze River dolphin, or the kakapo, or the northern white rhino, or any other species live on only in scientists' notebooks?" State your opinion and support your position with references from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay in which you present a case either for or against animal captivity. Use specific examples from Last Chance to See.
Essay Topic 3
Interpret the meaning of "Darkest Africa," as it relates to the chapter, Leopard-Skin Pillbox Hat.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)