|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator states in the chapter Here Be Chickens, "I knew that if I were a mariner in unknown waters, the first thing I would write on my charts at this moment would be 'Here Be ________.'"
2. What was the name of the two smooth characters dressed in military camouflage and black berets, who slouched across the table languidly caressing their rifles in the chapter Leopard-skin Pillbox Hat?
3. Douglas Adams was a self-proclaimed writer of humorous ________.
4. Adams informs the reader that a young female gorilla called ________, caught her hand in a wire antelope snare and eventually died of septicemia in August 1988.
5. According to Mark Carwardine, there are only _______ Kakapos still alive.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Kakapo Castle, which is found in the chapter Heartbeats in the Night?
2. Describe the first thing Adams and Carwardine saw in the customs hut in Zaire.
3. Explain Dr. Struan Sutherland's answer to the question: What does one do when bitten by a poisonous snake?
4. Compare and contrast Adams' view of Bali to that of David Attenborough's.
5. Analyze and describe the Kakapo.
6. Analyze and discuss the Great Apes found in the chapter Leopard-Skin Pillbox Hat.
7. Define primary rain forest and its importance to the ecological system.
8. Analyze the Northern White rhinoceros of Czechoslovakia.
9. Describe the remarkable feature of the Aye-aye that both Adams and Carwardine analyzed.
10. Describe the Komodo dragons found in chapter Here Be Chickens.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the theme of poaching contributes to the meaning and significance of Last Chance to See. Define poaching and describe its effects on endangered species. Discuss current measures to circumvent poachers in many countries.
Essay Topic 2
Detail the importance and history of the Great Ape as seen in the chapter, Leopard-Skin Pillbox Hat.
Essay Topic 3
Clearly identify the connection between the term "assumptions" and the chapter Blind Panic.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)