|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the narrator in the chapter Leopard-skin Pillbox Hat, where in Zaire do the mountain gorillas live?
2. Who was the man in Melbourne who Adams claim knew more about poisonous snakes than anyone else on earth?
3. Twig Technology says that the Kakapo lives in what country?
4. According to Adams, what happens to all cats born in Labuan Bajo?
5. Who is said to be one of the most experienced helicopter pilots in the world, according to the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Kiri and Moose as discussed in the chapter, Here Be Chickens.
2. Define primary rain forest and its importance to the ecological system.
3. Illustrate the other two people sharing the hut with Adams and Carwardine in the Virunga Volcanoes.
4. Analyze the Northern White rhinoceros of Czechoslovakia.
5. Describe the Kea, as discussed in Heartbeats in the Night.
6. What extraordinary thing happened to both Adams and Carwardine in Twig Technology?
7. Describe the remarkable feature of the Aye-aye that both Adams and Carwardine analyzed.
8. How does Adams answer the big question: "How on earth has the Kakapo managed to last this long?"
9. Discuss the poaching problem described in the chapter, Leopard-Skin Pillbox Hat.
10. Analyze the title of Heartbeats in the Night.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how the theme of poaching contributes to the meaning and significance of Last Chance to See. Define poaching and describe its effects on endangered species. Discuss current measures to circumvent poachers in many countries.
Essay Topic 2
Show how the Europeans, during the years of exploration, affect the islands of the Indian and Pacific Ocean. What steps are being taken to reclaim the native ecology? Give 2-3 examples from the book and demonstrate why reclaiming the native ecosystem can prove vital to the continuation of a species.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the meaning of the track and bowl system, as it relates to the book, Last Chance to See. How does Adams describe the track and bowl system? Why is it so important?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)