|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the agent at the Merpati Airlines, there were ________ people booked on Adams and Carwardine's return flight to Bali.
2. According to Adams in Twig Technology, Antananarivo is pronounced ________.
3. Mark Carwardine said in Twig Technology that the Ambassador in ________ promised that the Ministry of Agriculture would be able to give them two Land Rovers and a helicopter.
4. In Here Be Chickens, room service told Adams and Carwardine that the ________ would be a handy thing to have when looking for man-eating lizards.
5. In what decade did Madagascar manage to divest themselves from French rule?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the significance of "darkest Africa," as seen in the chapter Leopard-Skin Pillbox Hat.
2. Explain the term "habituating," as described in the chapter, Leopard-Skin Pillbox Hat.
3. Analyze and discuss the Great Apes found in the chapter Leopard-Skin Pillbox Hat.
4. Explain Dr. Struan Sutherland's answer to the question: What does one do when bitten by a poisonous snake?
5. Analyze the title of Heartbeats in the Night.
6. What is Kakapo Castle, which is found in the chapter Heartbeats in the Night?
7. What extraordinary thing happened to both Adams and Carwardine in Twig Technology?
8. How does Adams answer the big question: "How on earth has the Kakapo managed to last this long?"
9. Analyze Don Merton as described by Adams in Heartbeats in the Night.
10. Describe Kiri and Moose as discussed in the chapter, Here Be Chickens.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Show how the Europeans, during the years of exploration, affect the islands of the Indian and Pacific Ocean. What steps are being taken to reclaim the native ecology? Give 2-3 examples from the book and demonstrate why reclaiming the native ecosystem can prove vital to the continuation of a species.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay in response to the following question found in Mark's Epilogue: Does it really matter if the Yangtze River dolphin, or the kakapo, or the northern white rhino, or any other species live on only in scientists' notebooks?" State your opinion and support your position with references from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Examine and articulate the author's use of anthropomorphism of animals' thoughts and emotions, as seen throughout the book, Last Chance to See.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)