|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. All of the following people are mentioned in the book Last Chance to See, except for who?
(d) Alain le Garsmeur.
2. What is the name of the arrogant Frenchman in chapter Rare, or Medium Rare, who Adams, Carwardine and Richard detest instantly?
3. What was the name of the Mauritius kestrel who was in love with Carl Jones?
4. ________ are the white trails along cliffs where a bird has been sitting, according to chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
5. What was the name of the non-round island near Mauritius Island in the Indian Ocean?
(a) Victoria Island.
(b) Kodiak Island.
(c) Round Island.
(d) Baffin Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Adams claim to be the most famous of all the animals on Mauritius?
2. The chapter Blind Panic explains that the baiji dolphin was first discovered in ________.
3. In what genre is Last Chance to see classified?
4. ________ is when a bird shakes its wings and body and is a sign that the bird feels ________.
5. What term describes the process by which the bird cleans its beak of meat after eating, by rubbing it along a branch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the very rare bird on the island Mauritius? Describe this bird.
2. Explain Carl Jones and Richard Lewis' s first obsession as seen in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
3. Explain the beginning of the story of the Sibylline books. How do the townspeople respond to the old beggar woman?
4. Analyze the letter Douglas and Mark received from Andy Roberts in the chapter, Mark's Epilogue.
5. What is the significance of the title Sifting Through the Embers?
6. What two distinctive sounds in China does Adams encounter in the chapter Blind Panic?
7. What is Mark Carwardine's response to the question: "Does it really matter if the Yangtze river dolphin, or the kakapo, or the northern white rhino, or any other species live on only in scientists' notebooks?"
8. What book bothered Douglas Adams when he was young? How does he feel about the book now? Explain.
9. Analyze the ending of the story of the Sibylline books.
10. Explain Carl Jones's character according to Adams in Rare, or Medium Rare.
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)