|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Adams reveals that both Richard and Carl's first obsession was for ________.
2. What was the name of the brilliant, but mad Welshman in his late 30s, who loves birds to the point of obsession?
(a) Bill Black.
(b) Peter Guzzardi.
(c) Richard Lewis.
(d) Carl Jones.
3. Mark's Epilogue explains that for millions of years, on average, ________ species became extinct every century.
4. All of the following people are mentioned in the book Last Chance to See, except for who?
(a) Alain le Garsmeur.
5. In what genre is Last Chance to see classified?
(a) Science fiction.
(c) Historical fiction.
(d) Science non-fiction.
Short Answer Questions
1. ________ are the white trails along cliffs where a bird has been sitting, according to chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
2. The trips found in Last Chance to See were recorded for ________.
3. A unique feature revealed by Adams about the baiji is that it is half ________.
4. Douglas Adams explains that in the middle of one of the biggest, longest, noisiest, dirtiest thoroughfares in the world lives the reincarnation of a ________.
5. When Adams wrote Last Chance to See, there were ________ human beings on earth.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mark Carwardine's response to the question: "Was this really our last chance to see these animals?"
2. Why do the people of the city say that the old beggar woman can't be very wise or knowledgeable? Explain.
3. Explain how Round Island has remained a refuge for unique species as described in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
4. Analyze the importance of the reincarnation of the drowned princess to the Chinese culture, as described in Blind Panic.
5. Define the term "exotic species." Explain why a disaster usually is the result when species is introduced from abroad.
6. What book bothered Douglas Adams when he was young? How does he feel about the book now? Explain.
7. Explain what happened to the Passenger pigeon according to Mark Carwardine.
8. What is the significance of the title Sifting Through the Embers?
9. Analyze one of the problems with breeding birds in captivity.
10. What two odd things did Adams find about the music he heard while in China? Explain.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)