|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ________ nest is the first encouraging sign that the kakapo project is actually working according to Mark's Epilogue.
2. On Little Barrier Island, several of the males there had been booming for the first time, including a nine-year-old called ________, according to Mark's Epilogue.
3. Adams and Carwardine entered the Friendship Store in the chapter Blind Panic to purchase what item?
4. ________ is when a bird shakes its wings and body and is a sign that the bird feels ________.
(a) Warbling / sad.
(b) Rousing / relaxed.
(c) Simpering / lonely.
(d) Yoddeling / scared.
5. Who was the premier expert on the endangered baiji described as a polite, kindly man about 60 years old, working at Nanjing University?
(a) Jurgen Langer.
(b) Ros Aveling.
(c) Dr. Hillman-Smith.
(d) Professor Zhou.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Adams in the first sentence of chapter Blind Panic, ________ are the things you don't know you're making.
2. Adams and Carwardine entered the Tiananmen Square on ________.
3. Mark Carwardine explains that the ________, which was once the most common bird that ever lived on earth was hunted to extinction in little more than fifty years.
4. Mark Carwardine explains that ring-tailed lemurs have scent glands in their ________.
5. In what year was the baiji dolphin first discovered, according to Adams in chapter Blind Panic?
Short Essay Questions
1. Analyze the letter Douglas and Mark received from Andy Roberts in the chapter, Mark's Epilogue.
2. Explain what happened to the Passenger pigeon according to Mark Carwardine.
3. Explain how Round Island has remained a refuge for unique species as described in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
4. What is Mark Carwardine's response to the question: "Was this really our last chance to see these animals?"
5. Describe and identify Pink as detailed in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
6. Explain the beginning of the story of the Sibylline books. How do the townspeople respond to the old beggar woman?
7. What is Mark Carwardine's response to the question: "Does it really matter if the Yangtze river dolphin, or the kakapo, or the northern white rhino, or any other species live on only in scientists' notebooks?"
8. According to the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare, what happened to Reunion Island? Explain.
9. What odd thing did Adams notice while in China that he describes in the chapter Blind Panic?
10. Analyze the ending of the story of the Sibylline books.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)