|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mark Carwardine, a staggering ________ have been found and identified so far.
(b) 1 billion.
(c) 9.5 million.
(d) 1.4 million.
2. What was a mining product used in producing t toothpaste, iron and steel casting, and also as an additive for pig food?
3. According to a disturbing letter received by Douglas and Mark from a couple who had been working in China, the couple says that they ate ________.
(a) One Northern White Rhino.
(b) Two Aye-aye lemurs.
(c) Three Kakapos.
(d) Two Baiji Dolphins.
4. What story once bothered Douglas Adams when he was young according to the chapter Sifting Through the Embers?
(a) A Jury of Her Peers.
(b) The Sibylline books.
(c) To Build a Fire.
(d) The Gift of the Magi.
5. The Chapter Rare, or Medium Rare states that in the Indian Ocean on an island called Mauritius there was a very rare bird, perhaps the rarest of all ________, called the Mauritius Kestrel.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Carwardine, there are only ______ elephants left in Africa due to poachers.
2. Adams explains that in the thirties, the Peace Hotel was known as the ________.
3. The story in the chapter Sifting Through the Embers details a summer, when the people of the city were busy thriving and prospering, a strange ________ arrived at the gates.
4. ________ is when a bird shakes its wings and body and is a sign that the bird feels ________.
5. Professor Zhou said that ________ in the Yangtze was a major problem for the baiji dolphins, and severely interfered with their echolocation.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the beginning of the story of the Sibylline books. How do the townspeople respond to the old beggar woman?
2. Explain how Round Island has remained a refuge for unique species as described in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
3. What two distinctive sounds in China does Adams encounter in the chapter Blind Panic?
4. Explain Carl Jones and Richard Lewis' s first obsession as seen in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
5. Explain what happened to the Passenger pigeon according to Mark Carwardine.
6. What is Mark Carwardine's response to the question: "Does it really matter if the Yangtze river dolphin, or the kakapo, or the northern white rhino, or any other species live on only in scientists' notebooks?"
7. Discuss the Tiananmen Square as described by Adams in the chapter Blind Panic.
8. What book bothered Douglas Adams when he was young? How does he feel about the book now? Explain.
9. Analyze the Tiananmen Gate.
10. What occurs when they send the old beggar woman away?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)