|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The story in the chapter Sifting Through the Embers details a summer, when the people of the city were busy thriving and prospering, a strange ________ arrived at the gates.
(a) Toothless man.
(b) Hairless child.
(c) Old beggar woman.
(d) Dirty witch.
2. ________ is when a bird shakes its wings and body and is a sign that the bird feels ________.
(a) Simpering / lonely.
(b) Warbling / sad.
(c) Yoddeling / scared.
(d) Rousing / relaxed.
3. Douglas Adams explains that in the middle of one of the biggest, longest, noisiest, dirtiest thoroughfares in the world lives the reincarnation of a ________.
(a) Golden calf.
(b) Drowned princess.
(c) Golden Minx.
(d) Bronze monkey.
4. What was the name of the Mauritius kestrel who was in love with Carl Jones?
5. On the expedition, whose job was it to turn up with a suitcase and try to remember what happened long enough to write it down?
(a) Gaynor Shutte.
(b) Chris Muir.
(c) Mark Carwardine.
(d) Douglas Adams.
Short Answer Questions
1. ________ are the white trails along cliffs where a bird has been sitting, according to chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
2. All of the following people are mentioned in the book Last Chance to See, except for who?
3. How much was the old beggar woman asking for in return for a quarter of her books?
4. According to a letter Carwardine received, at 08.45 hours on ________, one of the dog handlers, Alan Munn, and his English Setter, 'Ari' located a new female kakapo near Lees Knob.
5. In November ________, Carl found a parakeet nest with three eggs inside.
Short Essay Questions
1. What has since happened to the Northern White rhinos in Zaire as detailed by Kes Hillman-Smith in the chapter Mark's Epilogue?
2. Describe and identify Pink as detailed in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
3. Explain what happened to the Passenger pigeon according to Mark Carwardine.
4. According to the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare, what happened to Reunion Island? Explain.
5. Explain the beginning of the story of the Sibylline books. How do the townspeople respond to the old beggar woman?
6. Analyze one of the problems with breeding birds in captivity.
7. Explain Carl Jones and Richard Lewis' s first obsession as seen in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
8. What is the significance of the title Sifting Through the Embers?
9. What occurs when they send the old beggar woman away?
10. Analyze the letter Douglas and Mark received from Andy Roberts in the chapter, Mark's Epilogue.
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)