|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Richard Lewis' profession?
2. According to a disturbing letter received by Douglas and Mark from a couple who had been working in China, the couple says that they ate ________.
(a) One Northern White Rhino.
(b) Two Aye-aye lemurs.
(c) Three Kakapos.
(d) Two Baiji Dolphins.
3. What story once bothered Douglas Adams when he was young according to the chapter Sifting Through the Embers?
(a) The Gift of the Magi.
(b) A Jury of Her Peers.
(c) The Sibylline books.
(d) To Build a Fire.
4. All of the following are locations visited by Adams and Carwardine, except for which of the following?
5. According to Carwardine, there are only ______ elephants left in Africa due to poachers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mark explains that, "There are so many threatened animals around the world that, at the rate of ________ every ________ weeks, it would have taken Douglas and me more than three hundred years to search for them all."
2. When asked in chapter Blind Panic "are you feeling nervous about something," Adams replies, "________."
3. What was the name of the Mauritius kestrel who was in love with Carl Jones?
4. Adams discovers that condoms are referred to as a ________ in China.
5. ________ are the white trails along cliffs where a bird has been sitting, according to chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
Short Essay Questions
1. What book bothered Douglas Adams when he was young? How does he feel about the book now? Explain.
2. Why do the people of the city say that the old beggar woman can't be very wise or knowledgeable? Explain.
3. Analyze the Tiananmen Gate.
4. Explain what happened to the Passenger pigeon according to Mark Carwardine.
5. Analyze and describe Professor Zhou.
6. According to the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare, what happened to Reunion Island? Explain.
7. Analyze the two new species of lemur found in Madagascar, according to the chapter Mark's Epilogue.
8. Analyze the importance of the reincarnation of the drowned princess to the Chinese culture, as described in Blind Panic.
9. What is the significance of the title Sifting Through the Embers?
10. Describe and identify Pink as detailed in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)