|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which environment alone contains half the world's species of animals and plants, according to Carwardine?
(a) Rain Forests.
2. Mark Carwardine explains that ring-tailed lemurs have scent glands in their ________.
3. How much was the old beggar woman asking for in return for the six remaining books?
(a) 2 sacks of gold.
(b) 2 sacks of diamonds.
(c) 6 sacks of diamonds.
(d) 1 sack of gold.
4. Why did Adams and Carwardine need to buy a condom in chapter Blind Panic?
(a) To protect their food against bugs.
(b) To go over the microphone to record dolphins.
(c) To have a souvenir.
(d) To use as protection.
5. Adams explains that in the thirties, the Peace Hotel was known as the ________.
Short Answer Questions
1. What term used in Rare, or Medium Rare describes when a bird hatches from its egg and falls in love with the first thing that feeds it?
2. When asked in chapter Blind Panic "are you feeling nervous about something," Adams replies, "________."
3. All of the following animals are mentioned in the book, Last Chance to See, except for which of the following?
4. Don Merton phoned Carwardine to tell him that a newly made kakapo nest had been found on ________.
5. Adams discovers that condoms are referred to as a ________ in China.
Short Essay Questions
1. Analyze the importance of the reincarnation of the drowned princess to the Chinese culture, as described in Blind Panic.
2. What two distinctive sounds in China does Adams encounter in the chapter Blind Panic?
3. Explain the beginning of the story of the Sibylline books. How do the townspeople respond to the old beggar woman?
4. What has since happened to the Northern White rhinos in Zaire as detailed by Kes Hillman-Smith in the chapter Mark's Epilogue?
5. Analyze the two new species of lemur found in Madagascar, according to the chapter Mark's Epilogue.
6. What is the significance of the title Sifting Through the Embers?
7. Explain how Round Island has remained a refuge for unique species as described in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
8. Analyze one of the problems with breeding birds in captivity.
9. Analyze the letter Douglas and Mark received from Andy Roberts in the chapter, Mark's Epilogue.
10. What two odd things did Adams find about the music he heard while in China? Explain.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)