|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Douglas Adams explains in the chapter Blind Panic that foreigners are not allowed to ________ in China.
2. Adams informs the reader that ________, from the point of view of the ecology of the Mauritius, is a major problem.
3. How much was the old beggar woman asking for in return for a single book at the end of Sifting Through the Embers?
(a) 6 sacks of gold.
(b) 10 sacks of diamonds.
(c) 20 sacks of diamonds.
(d) 16 sacks of gold.
4. Who was the premier expert on the endangered baiji described as a polite, kindly man about 60 years old, working at Nanjing University?
(a) Dr. Hillman-Smith.
(b) Ros Aveling.
(c) Professor Zhou.
(d) Jurgen Langer.
5. What was the name of the nearly extinct animal living in the Yangtze River that Adams and Carwardine searching for in Blind Panic?
(a) The Irrawaddy Dolphin.
(b) The Tucuxi.
(c) The Northern Rightwhale Dolphin.
(d) The Baiji.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the expedition, whose job was it to turn up with a suitcase and try to remember what happened long enough to write it down?
2. When asked in chapter Blind Panic "are you feeling nervous about something," Adams replies, "________."
3. According to Adams in the first sentence of chapter Blind Panic, ________ are the things you don't know you're making.
4. What story once bothered Douglas Adams when he was young according to the chapter Sifting Through the Embers?
5. In November ________, Carl found a parakeet nest with three eggs inside.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Carl Jones's character according to Adams in Rare, or Medium Rare.
2. What is Mark Carwardine's response to the question: "Does it really matter if the Yangtze river dolphin, or the kakapo, or the northern white rhino, or any other species live on only in scientists' notebooks?"
3. What has since happened to the Northern White rhinos in Zaire as detailed by Kes Hillman-Smith in the chapter Mark's Epilogue?
4. Analyze the ending of the story of the Sibylline books.
5. Analyze the two new species of lemur found in Madagascar, according to the chapter Mark's Epilogue.
6. What is Mark Carwardine's response to the question: "Was this really our last chance to see these animals?"
7. What two distinctive sounds in China does Adams encounter in the chapter Blind Panic?
8. What occurs when they send the old beggar woman away?
9. Explain the beginning of the story of the Sibylline books. How do the townspeople respond to the old beggar woman?
10. What odd thing did Adams notice while in China that he describes in the chapter Blind Panic?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)