|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Adams states in chapter Blind Panic that everyone in China rides ________.
(a) Sports cars.
2. The population of Chatham Island robins was down to one pregnant female, but the dedication of ________ and his team saved the species from extinction according to Mark's Epilogue.
(a) Richard Lewis.
(b) Andy Roberts.
(c) Don Merton.
(d) Bill Black.
3. According to Adams, the term "fed up" actually comes from ________.
4. According to Carwardine, there are only ______ elephants left in Africa due to poachers.
5. The story in the chapter Sifting Through the Embers details a summer, when the people of the city were busy thriving and prospering, a strange ________ arrived at the gates.
(a) Toothless man.
(b) Old beggar woman.
(c) Hairless child.
(d) Dirty witch.
Short Answer Questions
1. Professor Zhou said that ________ in the Yangtze was a major problem for the baiji dolphins, and severely interfered with their echolocation.
2. Mark Carwardine explains that the ________, which was once the most common bird that ever lived on earth was hunted to extinction in little more than fifty years.
3. Mark explains that, "There are so many threatened animals around the world that, at the rate of ________ every ________ weeks, it would have taken Douglas and me more than three hundred years to search for them all."
4. According to Richard in Rare, or Medium Rare, there are no interesting birds on Reunion because ________.
5. Adams explains that when you spend time on islands with naturalists, you will tend to hear two words frequently. To what two words does Adams refer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the people of the city say that the old beggar woman can't be very wise or knowledgeable? Explain.
2. What two distinctive sounds in China does Adams encounter in the chapter Blind Panic?
3. What occurs when they send the old beggar woman away?
4. Analyze the ending of the story of the Sibylline books.
5. Explain what happened to the Passenger pigeon according to Mark Carwardine.
6. Analyze the letter Douglas and Mark received from Andy Roberts in the chapter, Mark's Epilogue.
7. Describe and identify Pink as detailed in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
8. Explain Carl Jones's character according to Adams in Rare, or Medium Rare.
9. Explain how Round Island has remained a refuge for unique species as described in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
10. What is the significance of the title Sifting Through the Embers?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)