|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was a mining product used in producing t toothpaste, iron and steel casting, and also as an additive for pig food?
2. According to Adams, the term "fed up" actually comes from ________.
3. Adams informs the reader that ________, from the point of view of the ecology of the Mauritius, is a major problem.
4. What animal does not breed well in captivity, according to Carwardine in Mark's Epilogue?
(a) Three Toed Box turtles.
(b) Savannah Monitors.
(c) Northern White rhino.
5. How much was the old beggar woman asking for in return for the six remaining books?
(a) 1 sack of gold.
(b) 2 sacks of diamonds.
(c) 2 sacks of gold.
(d) 6 sacks of diamonds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Adams explains that all the history of China is symbolically focused at the ________.
2. Mark Carwardine explains that ring-tailed lemurs have scent glands in their ________.
3. Mark explains that, "There are so many threatened animals around the world that, at the rate of ________ every ________ weeks, it would have taken Douglas and me more than three hundred years to search for them all."
4. After being rejected by the townsmen for the second time, the old beggar woman burned how many more books?
5. Mark Carwardine explains that the ________, which was once the most common bird that ever lived on earth was hunted to extinction in little more than fifty years.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mark Carwardine's response to the question: "Was this really our last chance to see these animals?"
2. Define the term "exotic species." Explain why a disaster usually is the result when species is introduced from abroad.
3. What odd thing did Adams notice while in China that he describes in the chapter Blind Panic?
4. Explain Carl Jones's character according to Adams in Rare, or Medium Rare.
5. What book bothered Douglas Adams when he was young? How does he feel about the book now? Explain.
6. Discuss the Tiananmen Square as described by Adams in the chapter Blind Panic.
7. Explain what happened to the Passenger pigeon according to Mark Carwardine.
8. Analyze the Tiananmen Gate.
9. What was the very rare bird on the island Mauritius? Describe this bird.
10. What two distinctive sounds in China does Adams encounter in the chapter Blind Panic?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)