|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What animal does not breed well in captivity, according to Carwardine in Mark's Epilogue?
(a) Savannah Monitors.
(b) Northern White rhino.
(c) Three Toed Box turtles.
2. How much was the old beggar woman asking for in return for a single book at the end of Sifting Through the Embers?
(a) 20 sacks of diamonds.
(b) 16 sacks of gold.
(c) 10 sacks of diamonds.
(d) 6 sacks of gold.
3. What was the name of the man who gets passengers in his Land Rover to answer questions by watching them rather than the dangerous road until they respond?
(a) Roberto Lira.
(b) Richard Lewis.
(c) John Clements.
(d) Jurgen Langer.
4. The population of Chatham Island robins was down to one pregnant female, but the dedication of ________ and his team saved the species from extinction according to Mark's Epilogue.
(a) Richard Lewis.
(b) Bill Black.
(c) Andy Roberts.
(d) Don Merton.
5. Mark explains that, "There are so many threatened animals around the world that, at the rate of ________ every ________ weeks, it would have taken Douglas and me more than three hundred years to search for them all."
(a) 1 / 3.
(b) 3 / 3.
(c) 2 / 10.
(d) 90 / 8.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the nearly extinct animal living in the Yangtze River that Adams and Carwardine searching for in Blind Panic?
2. When asked in chapter Blind Panic "are you feeling nervous about something," Adams replies, "________."
3. Adams states that there are only ________ bottle palm trees on Round Island.
4. In what genre is Last Chance to see classified?
5. Adams discovers that condoms are referred to as a ________ in China.
Short Essay Questions
1. Analyze the ending of the story of the Sibylline books.
2. What is Mark Carwardine's response to the question: "Does it really matter if the Yangtze river dolphin, or the kakapo, or the northern white rhino, or any other species live on only in scientists' notebooks?"
3. Explain Carl Jones's character according to Adams in Rare, or Medium Rare.
4. Describe and identify Pink as detailed in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
5. According to the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare, what happened to Reunion Island? Explain.
6. What is the significance of the title Sifting Through the Embers?
7. Explain what happened to the Passenger pigeon according to Mark Carwardine.
8. Discuss the Tiananmen Square as described by Adams in the chapter Blind Panic.
9. What two odd things did Adams find about the music he heard while in China? Explain.
10. What odd thing did Adams notice while in China that he describes in the chapter Blind Panic?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)