|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When asked in chapter Blind Panic "are you feeling nervous about something," Adams replies, "________."
2. Mark explains that, "There are so many threatened animals around the world that, at the rate of ________ every ________ weeks, it would have taken Douglas and me more than three hundred years to search for them all."
(a) 2 / 10.
(b) 1 / 3.
(c) 3 / 3.
(d) 90 / 8.
3. Adams explains that all the history of China is symbolically focused at the ________.
(a) Reed Flute Cave.
(b) Tiananmen Square.
(c) Summer Palace.
(d) Great Wall.
4. Who wrote Douglas and Mark a letter soon after they returned to England about the kakapo's slow road to recovery?
(a) Professor Zhou.
(b) Richard Lewis.
(c) Andy Roberts.
(d) Carl Jones.
5. What term used in Rare, or Medium Rare describes when a bird hatches from its egg and falls in love with the first thing that feeds it?
Short Answer Questions
1. A unique feature revealed by Adams about the baiji is that it is half ________.
2. What is the name of a plant or animal that is native to an island or region and is found nowhere else at all?
3. How much was the strange person asking in return for all of their books?
4. Adams and Carwardine went to Rodrigues Island to look for what animal?
5. What was the strange person carrying with them in the beginning of the story the Sibylline books?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the note in the hotel's directory of guest services state according to Adams in the chapter Blind Panic?
2. Analyze the importance of the reincarnation of the drowned princess to the Chinese culture, as described in Blind Panic.
3. Analyze the ending of the story of the Sibylline books.
4. According to the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare, what happened to Reunion Island? Explain.
5. What odd thing did Adams notice while in China that he describes in the chapter Blind Panic?
6. Discuss the Tiananmen Square as described by Adams in the chapter Blind Panic.
7. Define the term "exotic species." Explain why a disaster usually is the result when species is introduced from abroad.
8. What book bothered Douglas Adams when he was young? How does he feel about the book now? Explain.
9. Analyze and describe Professor Zhou.
10. Explain how Round Island has remained a refuge for unique species as described in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)