|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much was the old beggar woman asking for in return for a quarter of her books?
(a) 4 sacks of diamonds.
(b) 4 sacks of gold.
(c) 3 sacks of diamonds.
(d) 9 sacks of diamonds.
2. In November ________, Carl found a parakeet nest with three eggs inside.
3. ________ are the white trails along cliffs where a bird has been sitting, according to chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
4. Who was the premier expert on the endangered baiji described as a polite, kindly man about 60 years old, working at Nanjing University?
(a) Dr. Hillman-Smith.
(b) Ros Aveling.
(c) Jurgen Langer.
(d) Professor Zhou.
5. Adams and Carwardine entered the Tiananmen Square on ________.
(a) July 1990.
(b) October 1988.
(c) January 1982.
(d) August 1972.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to a letter Carwardine received, at 08.45 hours on ________, one of the dog handlers, Alan Munn, and his English Setter, 'Ari' located a new female kakapo near Lees Knob.
2. Douglas Adams explains that in the middle of one of the biggest, longest, noisiest, dirtiest thoroughfares in the world lives the reincarnation of a ________.
3. According to Adams, the term "fed up" actually comes from ________.
4. Douglas Adams explains in the chapter Blind Panic that foreigners are not allowed to ________ in China.
5. Adams and Carwardine also received a letter from Kes Hillman-Smith in Zaire, saying that ________ baby Northern White rhinos had been born in Garamba since they left, bringing the total population up to ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What has since happened to the Northern White rhinos in Zaire as detailed by Kes Hillman-Smith in the chapter Mark's Epilogue?
2. What is Mark Carwardine's response to the question: "Was this really our last chance to see these animals?"
3. Explain what happened to the Passenger pigeon according to Mark Carwardine.
4. What book bothered Douglas Adams when he was young? How does he feel about the book now? Explain.
5. Analyze the ending of the story of the Sibylline books.
6. What is the significance of the title Sifting Through the Embers?
7. Define the term "exotic species." Explain why a disaster usually is the result when species is introduced from abroad.
8. Describe and identify Pink as detailed in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
9. Analyze the Tiananmen Gate.
10. Analyze and describe Professor Zhou.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)