|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Richard in Rare, or Medium Rare, there are no interesting birds on Reunion because ________.
(a) There are no trees there.
(b) They are all extinct.
(c) Reunion is uninhabitable.
(d) The French shot them all.
2. Adams and Carwardine also received a letter from Kes Hillman-Smith in Zaire, saying that ________ baby Northern White rhinos had been born in Garamba since they left, bringing the total population up to ________.
(a) 4 / 8.
(b) 8 / 20.
(c) 10 / 11.
(d) 3 / 25.
3. In what genre is Last Chance to see classified?
(a) Science fiction.
(b) Science non-fiction.
(d) Historical fiction.
4. Who was the premier expert on the endangered baiji described as a polite, kindly man about 60 years old, working at Nanjing University?
(a) Jurgen Langer.
(b) Dr. Hillman-Smith.
(c) Professor Zhou.
(d) Ros Aveling.
5. Adams states that there are only ________ bottle palm trees on Round Island.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the expedition, whose job was it to turn up with a suitcase and try to remember what happened long enough to write it down?
2. How much was the old beggar woman asking for in return for a single book at the end of Sifting Through the Embers?
3. After being rejected by the towns people, the old beggar woman burned ________ books.
4. Carl Jones expresses that he hates ________ in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
5. A unique feature revealed by Adams about the baiji is that it is half ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What book bothered Douglas Adams when he was young? How does he feel about the book now? Explain.
2. Explain Carl Jones and Richard Lewis' s first obsession as seen in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
3. Analyze one of the problems with breeding birds in captivity.
4. Analyze the importance of the reincarnation of the drowned princess to the Chinese culture, as described in Blind Panic.
5. Analyze the two new species of lemur found in Madagascar, according to the chapter Mark's Epilogue.
6. What is Mark Carwardine's response to the question: "Does it really matter if the Yangtze river dolphin, or the kakapo, or the northern white rhino, or any other species live on only in scientists' notebooks?"
7. Explain what happened to the Passenger pigeon according to Mark Carwardine.
8. Define the term "exotic species." Explain why a disaster usually is the result when species is introduced from abroad.
9. What has since happened to the Northern White rhinos in Zaire as detailed by Kes Hillman-Smith in the chapter Mark's Epilogue?
10. What two odd things did Adams find about the music he heard while in China? Explain.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)