|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After being rejected by the towns people, the old beggar woman burned ________ books.
2. Don Merton phoned Carwardine to tell him that a newly made kakapo nest had been found on ________.
(a) Stewart Island.
(c) Little Barrier Island.
3. Adams reveals that both Richard and Carl's first obsession was for ________.
4. According to Carwardine, there are only ______ elephants left in Africa due to poachers.
5. ________ is when a bird shakes its wings and body and is a sign that the bird feels ________.
(a) Rousing / relaxed.
(b) Simpering / lonely.
(c) Yoddeling / scared.
(d) Warbling / sad.
Short Answer Questions
1. ________ nest is the first encouraging sign that the kakapo project is actually working according to Mark's Epilogue.
2. According to Carwardine, the population of the Wild Pink pigeons on Mauritius had ________.
3. Mark Carwardine explains that the ________, which was once the most common bird that ever lived on earth was hunted to extinction in little more than fifty years.
4. Who was the premier expert on the endangered baiji described as a polite, kindly man about 60 years old, working at Nanjing University?
5. Adams explains that in the thirties, the Peace Hotel was known as the ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mark Carwardine's response to the question: "Does it really matter if the Yangtze river dolphin, or the kakapo, or the northern white rhino, or any other species live on only in scientists' notebooks?"
2. Analyze the Tiananmen Gate.
3. What does the note in the hotel's directory of guest services state according to Adams in the chapter Blind Panic?
4. Analyze one of the problems with breeding birds in captivity.
5. Explain the beginning of the story of the Sibylline books. How do the townspeople respond to the old beggar woman?
6. What is the significance of the title Sifting Through the Embers?
7. Explain how Round Island has remained a refuge for unique species as described in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
8. What two odd things did Adams find about the music he heard while in China? Explain.
9. Why do the people of the city say that the old beggar woman can't be very wise or knowledgeable? Explain.
10. Describe and identify Pink as detailed in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)