|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A guest house or small hotel in Indonesia is called a ________.
2. Adams states that when Captain Cook saw New Zealand from the sea in ________, he recorded that "inland as far as the eye can see the peaks are crowded together as to scarcely admit any valleys between them."
3. What is the name of the tiny, idyllic, rain-forest island just off the northeast coast of Madagascar?
(b) Nosy Mangabe.
4. The Virunga Volcanoes border the following countries except for which one?
5. Douglas Adams was a self-proclaimed writer of humorous ________.
(a) Science fiction.
(b) Historical fiction.
(c) Romance fiction.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Heartbeats in the Night, Douglas Adams wonders why so many words that describe what the sun does in the morning begin with the letters "________."
2. ________ is on the island of Flores and is the nearest port to Komodo.
3. According to the narrator in Twig Technology, in ________, by some sort of journalistic accident, the narrator went to look for an almost extinct animal.
4. What bird in the chapter Heartbeats in the Night does Adams say he was destined never to find out anything more about while on his way to the warden's lodge?
5. The currency-declaration forms that Adams and Carwardine had to fill out in Zaire had the heading ________, crossed out, with "Zaire" written instead in pencil.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the lack of woodpeckers in Madagascar?
2. What peculiar thing happened to Adams in Twig Technology?
3. Describe the Komodo dragons found in chapter Here Be Chickens.
4. Describe the Kea, as discussed in Heartbeats in the Night.
5. Analyze and describe the Kakapo.
6. What is one of the more dangerous animals in Africa, according to Adams? Explain.
7. Analyze the Northern White rhinoceros of Czechoslovakia.
8. Define primary rain forest and its importance to the ecological system.
9. Describe the first thing Adams and Carwardine saw in the customs hut in Zaire.
10. Discuss the French control over Madagascar and the spelling of Antananarivo.
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)