|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the man in Melbourne who Adams claim knew more about poisonous snakes than anyone else on earth?
(a) Dr. Christiaan Barnard
(b) Dr. Jean Astruc.
(c) Dr. Charles R. Drew.
(d) Dr. Struan Sutherland.
2. What was the name of the two smooth characters dressed in military camouflage and black berets, who slouched across the table languidly caressing their rifles in the chapter Leopard-skin Pillbox Hat?
(a) Ros and Roberto.
(b) Boss and Conrad.
(c) Murara and Serundori.
(d) Zhou and Aartee.
3. Douglas Adams was a self-proclaimed writer of humorous ________.
(a) Science fiction.
(b) Romance fiction.
(c) Historical fiction.
4. Mark Carwardine states that the "________ is an incredibly complex system, but when you're actually standing in it, it looks half-empty."
(b) Primary rain forest.
5. A little-known fact revealed in the chapter, Heartbeats in the Night, is that one of the more dangerous animals in Africa is the ________.
(a) Cape Warthog.
(b) Blue Antelope.
(c) Lava Mouse.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the BBC producer who recorded Adams and Carwardine's exploits for a radio documentary series?
2. Dr. Sutherland explains that the most poisonous spider is the ________, which bites about five hundred people a year.
3. Where are the Northern White rhinos located, according to Adams and Carwardine?
4. Who is said to be one of the most experienced helicopter pilots in the world, according to the narrator?
5. What was the name of the benign man with the air of a vicar on-board the plane with Adams and Carwardine in the chapter, Heartbeats in the Night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the term "habituating," as described in the chapter, Leopard-Skin Pillbox Hat.
2. What major evolutionary change passed Madagascar, according to Adams?
3. Analyze and describe Professor Zhou.
4. Analyze the two new species of lemur found in Madagascar, according to the chapter Mark's Epilogue.
5. What three animals are the most poisonous? Explain.
6. What odd thing did Adams notice while in China that he describes in the chapter Blind Panic?
7. Analyze the importance of the reincarnation of the drowned princess to the Chinese culture, as described in Blind Panic.
8. Define the term "exotic species." Explain why a disaster usually is the result when species is introduced from abroad.
9. What does the note in the hotel's directory of guest services state according to Adams in the chapter Blind Panic?
10. What is the significance of the title Sifting Through the Embers?
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)