|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the tiny, idyllic, rain-forest island just off the northeast coast of Madagascar?
(b) Nosy Mangabe.
2. The narrator explains in Twig Technology that monkeys are ambitious and interested in all sorts of things, especially ________, with which they found they could do all kinds of things that they couldn't do by themselves.
3. What bird in the chapter Heartbeats in the Night does Adams say he was destined never to find out anything more about while on his way to the warden's lodge?
(a) The Peregrine Falcon.
(b) The little blue penguin.
(c) The White-cheeked Bulbul.
(d) The Emu.
4. The first thing Adams and Carwardine saw in the Zaire customs hut was a picture of a ________.
(a) Baiji river dolphin.
(b) Komodo dragon.
5. Who is said to be one of the most experienced helicopter pilots in the world, according to the narrator?
(a) Richard Lewis.
(b) Bill Black.
(c) Terry Greene.
(d) Craig Hodsell.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mark Carwardine states that the "________ is an incredibly complex system, but when you're actually standing in it, it looks half-empty."
2. According to Dr. Sutherland, the ________ is the fifteenth deadliest snake in the world, and all the other fourteen are in ________.
3. The currency-declaration forms that Adams and Carwardine had to fill out in Zaire had the heading ________, crossed out, with "Zaire" written instead in pencil.
4. According to Douglas Adams, there are ________ species of lemurs on Madagascar.
5. What was the name of the BBC sound engineer that accompanied Douglas Adams and Mark Carwardine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Dr. Struan Sutherland's answer to the question: What does one do when bitten by a poisonous snake?
2. Explain the term "habituating," as described in the chapter, Leopard-Skin Pillbox Hat.
3. Describe the first thing Adams and Carwardine saw in the customs hut in Zaire.
4. What is one of the more dangerous animals in Africa, according to Adams? Explain.
5. Analyze the ending of the story of the Sibylline books.
6. Analyze the importance of the reincarnation of the drowned princess to the Chinese culture, as described in Blind Panic.
7. What three animals are the most poisonous? Explain.
8. Define primary rain forest and its importance to the ecological system.
9. Analyze and discuss the Great Apes found in the chapter Leopard-Skin Pillbox Hat.
10. Describe the remarkable feature of the Aye-aye that both Adams and Carwardine analyzed.
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)