|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much was the old beggar woman asking for in return for a quarter of her books?
(a) 4 sacks of diamonds.
(b) 9 sacks of diamonds.
(c) 4 sacks of gold.
(d) 3 sacks of diamonds.
2. According to Carwardine, the population of the Wild Pink pigeons on Mauritius had ________.
(a) Hit zero.
(b) Increased to over 50.
(c) Stayed the same.
(d) Dropped to fewer than 10.
3. In what genre is Last Chance to see classified?
(b) Historical fiction.
(c) Science fiction.
(d) Science non-fiction.
4. Adams details that the gateway to the Forbidden City, the ________ Gate, is where the great iconic portrait of Chairman Mao gazed out across the vastness of the Tiananmen Square.
5. When Adams wrote Last Chance to See, there were ________ human beings on earth.
(a) 2 trillion.
(b) 1 million.
(c) 10 million.
(d) 5 billion.
6. Adams explains that when you spend time on islands with naturalists, you will tend to hear two words frequently. To what two words does Adams refer?
(a) Tame and wild.
(b) Threatened and endangered.
(c) Endemic and exotic.
(d) Poachers and hunters.
7. Adams informs the reader that ________, from the point of view of the ecology of the Mauritius, is a major problem.
8. According to a letter Carwardine received, at 08.45 hours on ________, one of the dog handlers, Alan Munn, and his English Setter, 'Ari' located a new female kakapo near Lees Knob.
(a) September 4, 1999.
(b) November 9, 1998.
(c) July 24, 1977.
(d) August 25, 1989.
9. Adams states that there are only ________ bottle palm trees on Round Island.
10. According to Richard in Rare, or Medium Rare, there are no interesting birds on Reunion because ________.
(a) Reunion is uninhabitable.
(b) There are no trees there.
(c) The French shot them all.
(d) They are all extinct.
11. According to Adams in the first sentence of chapter Blind Panic, ________ are the things you don't know you're making.
12. What term describes the process by which the bird cleans its beak of meat after eating, by rubbing it along a branch?
13. ________ is when a bird shakes its wings and body and is a sign that the bird feels ________.
(a) Simpering / lonely.
(b) Warbling / sad.
(c) Yoddeling / scared.
(d) Rousing / relaxed.
14. Who was the narrator in Last Chance to See?
(a) Douglas Adams.
(b) Chris Muir.
(c) Alain le Garsmeur.
(d) Mark Carwardine.
15. Mark Carwardine says that Mauritius was originally colonized by the _______.
Short Answer Questions
1. In November ________, Carl found a parakeet nest with three eggs inside.
2. What was the name of the sugar estate's elderly gatekeeper and eccentric Mauritian who would not let anybody through his gate without a permit?
3. All of the following animals are mentioned in the book, Last Chance to See, except for which of the following?
4. According to Mark Carwardine, a staggering ________ have been found and identified so far.
5. What was the strange person carrying with them in the beginning of the story the Sibylline books?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)