|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Douglas Adams explains in the chapter Blind Panic that foreigners are not allowed to ________ in China.
2. All of the following animals are mentioned in the book, Last Chance to See, except for which of the following?
(b) Komodo dragon.
3. The population of Chatham Island robins was down to one pregnant female, but the dedication of ________ and his team saved the species from extinction according to Mark's Epilogue.
(a) Bill Black.
(b) Don Merton.
(c) Richard Lewis.
(d) Andy Roberts.
4. What term used in Rare, or Medium Rare describes when a bird hatches from its egg and falls in love with the first thing that feeds it?
5. What term describes the process by which the bird cleans its beak of meat after eating, by rubbing it along a branch?
6. What was the name of the brilliant, but mad Welshman in his late 30s, who loves birds to the point of obsession?
(a) Bill Black.
(b) Peter Guzzardi.
(c) Carl Jones.
(d) Richard Lewis.
7. What was Last Chance to See about?
(a) Endangered species.
(b) Poisonous species.
(c) Extinct species.
(d) Newly discovered species.
8. On the expedition, whose job was it to turn up with a suitcase and try to remember what happened long enough to write it down?
(a) Mark Carwardine.
(b) Gaynor Shutte.
(c) Douglas Adams.
(d) Chris Muir.
9. After being rejected by the towns people, the old beggar woman burned ________ books.
10. According to Carwardine, there are only ______ elephants left in Africa due to poachers.
11. The Chapter Rare, or Medium Rare states that in the Indian Ocean on an island called Mauritius there was a very rare bird, perhaps the rarest of all ________, called the Mauritius Kestrel.
12. Who has long been discredited as a bourgeois capitalist running-dog lackey, according to the chapter Blind Panic?
(b) Leonardo da Vinci.
(c) Albert Einstein.
(d) Sir Isaac Newton.
13. ________ is when a bird shakes its wings and body and is a sign that the bird feels ________.
(a) Yoddeling / scared.
(b) Warbling / sad.
(c) Simpering / lonely.
(d) Rousing / relaxed.
14. Mark Carwardine explains that the ________, which was once the most common bird that ever lived on earth was hunted to extinction in little more than fifty years.
(a) Flying Squirrels.
(b) Passenger pigeon.
(c) African Clawed Frogs.
(d) Chinese Water Dragons.
15. Which environment alone contains half the world's species of animals and plants, according to Carwardine?
(d) Rain Forests.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Adams and Carwardine need to buy a condom in chapter Blind Panic?
2. According to Adams, the term "fed up" actually comes from ________.
3. How much was the strange person asking in return for all of their books?
4. Adams explains that all the history of China is symbolically focused at the ________.
5. Mark's Epilogue explains that for millions of years, on average, ________ species became extinct every century.
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)