|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mark's Epilogue explains that for millions of years, on average, ________ species became extinct every century.
2. A unique feature revealed by Adams about the baiji is that it is half ________.
3. How much was the old beggar woman asking for in return for a single book at the end of Sifting Through the Embers?
(a) 6 sacks of gold.
(b) 16 sacks of gold.
(c) 20 sacks of diamonds.
(d) 10 sacks of diamonds.
4. Douglas Adams explains in the chapter Blind Panic that foreigners are not allowed to ________ in China.
5. According to Richard in Rare, or Medium Rare, there are no interesting birds on Reunion because ________.
(a) There are no trees there.
(b) They are all extinct.
(c) Reunion is uninhabitable.
(d) The French shot them all.
6. Mark Carwardine explains that the ________, which was once the most common bird that ever lived on earth was hunted to extinction in little more than fifty years.
(a) Passenger pigeon.
(b) Flying Squirrels.
(c) Chinese Water Dragons.
(d) African Clawed Frogs.
7. What was the name of the man who gets passengers in his Land Rover to answer questions by watching them rather than the dangerous road until they respond?
(a) John Clements.
(b) Richard Lewis.
(c) Jurgen Langer.
(d) Roberto Lira.
8. When asked in chapter Blind Panic "are you feeling nervous about something," Adams replies, "________."
9. The Chapter Rare, or Medium Rare states that in the Indian Ocean on an island called Mauritius there was a very rare bird, perhaps the rarest of all ________, called the Mauritius Kestrel.
10. In what genre is Last Chance to see classified?
(a) Historical fiction.
(b) Science non-fiction.
(c) Science fiction.
11. According to a letter Carwardine received, at 08.45 hours on ________, one of the dog handlers, Alan Munn, and his English Setter, 'Ari' located a new female kakapo near Lees Knob.
(a) September 4, 1999.
(b) November 9, 1998.
(c) August 25, 1989.
(d) July 24, 1977.
12. ________ nest is the first encouraging sign that the kakapo project is actually working according to Mark's Epilogue.
13. Carl Jones expresses that he hates ________ in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
(c) Media people.
14. According to Carwardine, the population of the Wild Pink pigeons on Mauritius had ________.
(a) Dropped to fewer than 10.
(b) Increased to over 50.
(c) Stayed the same.
(d) Hit zero.
15. What was the name of the Mauritius kestrel who was in love with Carl Jones?
Short Answer Questions
1. Adams explains that in the thirties, the Peace Hotel was known as the ________.
2. What term describes the process by which the bird cleans its beak of meat after eating, by rubbing it along a branch?
3. Which environment alone contains half the world's species of animals and plants, according to Carwardine?
4. In the chapter Blind Panic, Adams and Carwardine made a diversion to see an ________ farm, from which they got chased by police on the grounds that they didn't have appropriate permits.
5. ________ are the white trails along cliffs where a bird has been sitting, according to chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)