|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the spectacular remnant of the days when Shanghai was one of the most glamorous and cosmopolitan ports in the world?
(a) The Hilton Hotel.
(b) The Four Seasons Hotel.
(c) The Hampton Hotel.
(d) The Peace Hotel.
2. What was the name of the non-round island near Mauritius Island in the Indian Ocean?
(a) Victoria Island.
(b) Kodiak Island.
(c) Baffin Island.
(d) Round Island.
3. What was the name of the nearly extinct animal living in the Yangtze River that Adams and Carwardine searching for in Blind Panic?
(a) The Tucuxi.
(b) The Northern Rightwhale Dolphin.
(c) The Baiji.
(d) The Irrawaddy Dolphin.
4. What is the name of the arrogant Frenchman in chapter Rare, or Medium Rare, who Adams, Carwardine and Richard detest instantly?
5. Douglas Adams explains in the chapter Blind Panic that foreigners are not allowed to ________ in China.
6. According to Mark Carwardine, a staggering ________ have been found and identified so far.
(a) 1.4 million.
(c) 1 billion.
(d) 9.5 million.
7. Professor Zhou said that ________ in the Yangtze was a major problem for the baiji dolphins, and severely interfered with their echolocation.
8. Who has long been discredited as a bourgeois capitalist running-dog lackey, according to the chapter Blind Panic?
(a) Leonardo da Vinci.
(c) Albert Einstein.
(d) Sir Isaac Newton.
9. The population of Chatham Island robins was down to one pregnant female, but the dedication of ________ and his team saved the species from extinction according to Mark's Epilogue.
(a) Don Merton.
(b) Bill Black.
(c) Andy Roberts.
(d) Richard Lewis.
10. Adams and Carwardine went to Rodrigues Island to look for what animal?
(a) Three-toed sloth.
(b) Elegant frog.
(c) Fruit bats.
(d) Spider monkey.
11. Why did Adams and Carwardine need to buy a condom in chapter Blind Panic?
(a) To have a souvenir.
(b) To go over the microphone to record dolphins.
(c) To use as protection.
(d) To protect their food against bugs.
12. ________ is when a bird shakes its wings and body and is a sign that the bird feels ________.
(a) Rousing / relaxed.
(b) Simpering / lonely.
(c) Warbling / sad.
(d) Yoddeling / scared.
13. According to a letter Carwardine received, at 08.45 hours on ________, one of the dog handlers, Alan Munn, and his English Setter, 'Ari' located a new female kakapo near Lees Knob.
(a) November 9, 1998.
(b) August 25, 1989.
(c) July 24, 1977.
(d) September 4, 1999.
14. Who was the narrator in Last Chance to See?
(a) Chris Muir.
(b) Mark Carwardine.
(c) Alain le Garsmeur.
(d) Douglas Adams.
15. What does Adams claim to be the most famous of all the animals on Mauritius?
(b) Gentle dove.
(d) Bush baby.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much was the old beggar woman asking for in return for the six remaining books?
2. The Chapter Rare, or Medium Rare states that in the Indian Ocean on an island called Mauritius there was a very rare bird, perhaps the rarest of all ________, called the Mauritius Kestrel.
3. On the expedition, whose job was it to turn up with a suitcase and try to remember what happened long enough to write it down?
4. The story in the chapter Sifting Through the Embers details a summer, when the people of the city were busy thriving and prospering, a strange ________ arrived at the gates.
5. A unique feature revealed by Adams about the baiji is that it is half ________.
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)