|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which environment alone contains half the world's species of animals and plants, according to Carwardine?
(b) Rain Forests.
2. On Little Barrier Island, several of the males there had been booming for the first time, including a nine-year-old called ________, according to Mark's Epilogue.
3. The population of Chatham Island robins was down to one pregnant female, but the dedication of ________ and his team saved the species from extinction according to Mark's Epilogue.
(a) Andy Roberts.
(b) Bill Black.
(c) Don Merton.
(d) Richard Lewis.
4. What was the name of the spectacular remnant of the days when Shanghai was one of the most glamorous and cosmopolitan ports in the world?
(a) The Four Seasons Hotel.
(b) The Hampton Hotel.
(c) The Peace Hotel.
(d) The Hilton Hotel.
5. All of the following people are mentioned in the book Last Chance to See, except for who?
(b) Alain le Garsmeur.
6. What was Last Chance to See about?
(a) Poisonous species.
(b) Endangered species.
(c) Extinct species.
(d) Newly discovered species.
7. A unique feature revealed by Adams about the baiji is that it is half ________.
8. Adams reveals that both Richard and Carl's first obsession was for ________.
9. According to Carwardine, the population of the Wild Pink pigeons on Mauritius had ________.
(a) Stayed the same.
(b) Dropped to fewer than 10.
(c) Increased to over 50.
(d) Hit zero.
10. Mark Carwardine explains that the ________, which was once the most common bird that ever lived on earth was hunted to extinction in little more than fifty years.
(a) Flying Squirrels.
(b) African Clawed Frogs.
(c) Passenger pigeon.
(d) Chinese Water Dragons.
11. What is the name of a plant or animal that is native to an island or region and is found nowhere else at all?
(a) Exotic species.
(b) Threatened species.
(c) Endemic species.
(d) Endangered species.
12. The Chapter Rare, or Medium Rare states that in the Indian Ocean on an island called Mauritius there was a very rare bird, perhaps the rarest of all ________, called the Mauritius Kestrel.
13. Douglas Adams explains that in the middle of one of the biggest, longest, noisiest, dirtiest thoroughfares in the world lives the reincarnation of a ________.
(a) Bronze monkey.
(b) Drowned princess.
(c) Golden Minx.
(d) Golden calf.
14. Mark's Epilogue explains that for millions of years, on average, ________ species became extinct every century.
15. How much was the old beggar woman asking for in return for a quarter of her books?
(a) 4 sacks of diamonds.
(b) 4 sacks of gold.
(c) 3 sacks of diamonds.
(d) 9 sacks of diamonds.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Adams, the term "fed up" actually comes from ________.
2. The trips found in Last Chance to See were recorded for ________.
3. Why did Adams and Carwardine need to buy a condom in chapter Blind Panic?
4. Adams and Carwardine also received a letter from Kes Hillman-Smith in Zaire, saying that ________ baby Northern White rhinos had been born in Garamba since they left, bringing the total population up to ________.
5. When did Chairman Mao proclaim the founding of the People's Republic of China?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)