|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The story in the chapter Sifting Through the Embers details a summer, when the people of the city were busy thriving and prospering, a strange ________ arrived at the gates.
(a) Old beggar woman.
(b) Hairless child.
(c) Toothless man.
(d) Dirty witch.
2. Carl Jones expresses that he hates ________ in the chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
(d) Media people.
3. Adams states that there are only ________ bottle palm trees on Round Island.
4. Who has long been discredited as a bourgeois capitalist running-dog lackey, according to the chapter Blind Panic?
(a) Albert Einstein.
(b) Sir Isaac Newton.
(d) Leonardo da Vinci.
5. How much was the old beggar woman asking for in return for a quarter of her books?
(a) 4 sacks of gold.
(b) 3 sacks of diamonds.
(c) 4 sacks of diamonds.
(d) 9 sacks of diamonds.
6. When Adams wrote Last Chance to See, there were ________ human beings on earth.
(a) 2 trillion.
(b) 1 million.
(c) 10 million.
(d) 5 billion.
7. Mark's Epilogue explains that for millions of years, on average, ________ species became extinct every century.
8. Why did Adams and Carwardine need to buy a condom in chapter Blind Panic?
(a) To protect their food against bugs.
(b) To go over the microphone to record dolphins.
(c) To have a souvenir.
(d) To use as protection.
9. Who was the narrator in Last Chance to See?
(a) Chris Muir.
(b) Alain le Garsmeur.
(c) Douglas Adams.
(d) Mark Carwardine.
10. ________ are the white trails along cliffs where a bird has been sitting, according to chapter Rare, or Medium Rare.
11. What was the name of the Mauritius kestrel who was in love with Carl Jones?
12. What story once bothered Douglas Adams when he was young according to the chapter Sifting Through the Embers?
(a) The Sibylline books.
(b) The Gift of the Magi.
(c) To Build a Fire.
(d) A Jury of Her Peers.
13. Mark Carwardine explains that ring-tailed lemurs have scent glands in their ________.
14. What was the name of the man who gets passengers in his Land Rover to answer questions by watching them rather than the dangerous road until they respond?
(a) Jurgen Langer.
(b) Richard Lewis.
(c) Roberto Lira.
(d) John Clements.
15. What was the name of the nearly extinct animal living in the Yangtze River that Adams and Carwardine searching for in Blind Panic?
(a) The Tucuxi.
(b) The Baiji.
(c) The Irrawaddy Dolphin.
(d) The Northern Rightwhale Dolphin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Adams explains that when you spend time on islands with naturalists, you will tend to hear two words frequently. To what two words does Adams refer?
2. What was the name of the brilliant, but mad Welshman in his late 30s, who loves birds to the point of obsession?
3. Douglas Adams explains in the chapter Blind Panic that foreigners are not allowed to ________ in China.
4. The population of Chatham Island robins was down to one pregnant female, but the dedication of ________ and his team saved the species from extinction according to Mark's Epilogue.
5. Professor Zhou said that ________ in the Yangtze was a major problem for the baiji dolphins, and severely interfered with their echolocation.
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)