|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Chairman Mao proclaim the founding of the People's Republic of China?
(a) June 18, 1812.
(b) July 21, 1823.
(c) October 1, 1949.
(d) January 3, 1933.
2. What was the name of the spectacular remnant of the days when Shanghai was one of the most glamorous and cosmopolitan ports in the world?
(a) The Hampton Hotel.
(b) The Four Seasons Hotel.
(c) The Hilton Hotel.
(d) The Peace Hotel.
3. What is the name of a plant or animal that is native to an island or region and is found nowhere else at all?
(a) Exotic species.
(b) Endangered species.
(c) Threatened species.
(d) Endemic species.
4. Douglas Adams explains that in the middle of one of the biggest, longest, noisiest, dirtiest thoroughfares in the world lives the reincarnation of a ________.
(a) Bronze monkey.
(b) Drowned princess.
(c) Golden calf.
(d) Golden Minx.
5. In the chapter Blind Panic, Adams and Carwardine made a diversion to see an ________ farm, from which they got chased by police on the grounds that they didn't have appropriate permits.
6. What story once bothered Douglas Adams when he was young according to the chapter Sifting Through the Embers?
(a) The Gift of the Magi.
(b) To Build a Fire.
(c) A Jury of Her Peers.
(d) The Sibylline books.
7. What was the name of the sugar estate's elderly gatekeeper and eccentric Mauritian who would not let anybody through his gate without a permit?
8. The chapter Blind Panic explains that the baiji dolphin was first discovered in ________.
(a) Xingkai Lake.
(b) Lugu Lake.
(c) Baiyangdian Lake.
(d) Dong Ting Lake.
9. Adams discovers that condoms are referred to as a ________ in China.
(a) Safety glove.
(b) Love glove.
10. Adams and Carwardine entered the Tiananmen Square on ________.
(a) August 1972.
(b) October 1988.
(c) July 1990.
(d) January 1982.
11. In what year was the baiji dolphin first discovered, according to Adams in chapter Blind Panic?
12. Who was the premier expert on the endangered baiji described as a polite, kindly man about 60 years old, working at Nanjing University?
(a) Dr. Hillman-Smith.
(b) Ros Aveling.
(c) Jurgen Langer.
(d) Professor Zhou.
13. What was the strange person carrying with them in the beginning of the story the Sibylline books?
(a) 5 green apples.
(b) 22 Bibles.
(c) 3 bags of gold.
(d) 12 large books.
14. Mark Carwardine explains that ring-tailed lemurs have scent glands in their ________.
15. Mark's Epilogue explains that for millions of years, on average, ________ species became extinct every century.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the brilliant, but mad Welshman in his late 30s, who loves birds to the point of obsession?
2. According to Mark Carwardine, a staggering ________ have been found and identified so far.
3. Adams informs the reader that ________, from the point of view of the ecology of the Mauritius, is a major problem.
4. How much was the old beggar woman asking for in return for a quarter of her books?
5. Douglas Adams explains in the chapter Blind Panic that foreigners are not allowed to ________ in China.
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)