|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Richard in Rare, or Medium Rare, there are no interesting birds on Reunion because ________.
(a) There are no trees there.
(b) Reunion is uninhabitable.
(c) The French shot them all.
(d) They are all extinct.
2. Mark's Epilogue explains that for millions of years, on average, ________ species became extinct every century.
3. According to Mark Carwardine, a staggering ________ have been found and identified so far.
(b) 1.4 million.
(c) 1 billion.
(d) 9.5 million.
4. All of the following are locations visited by Adams and Carwardine, except for which of the following?
5. Adams explains that all the history of China is symbolically focused at the ________.
(a) Summer Palace.
(b) Tiananmen Square.
(c) Great Wall.
(d) Reed Flute Cave.
6. The chapter Blind Panic explains that the baiji dolphin was first discovered in ________.
(a) Lugu Lake.
(b) Xingkai Lake.
(c) Dong Ting Lake.
(d) Baiyangdian Lake.
7. Adams details that the gateway to the Forbidden City, the ________ Gate, is where the great iconic portrait of Chairman Mao gazed out across the vastness of the Tiananmen Square.
8. What was the name of the brilliant, but mad Welshman in his late 30s, who loves birds to the point of obsession?
(a) Peter Guzzardi.
(b) Bill Black.
(c) Carl Jones.
(d) Richard Lewis.
9. Adams and Carwardine went to Rodrigues Island to look for what animal?
(a) Elegant frog.
(b) Spider monkey.
(c) Three-toed sloth.
(d) Fruit bats.
10. On Little Barrier Island, several of the males there had been booming for the first time, including a nine-year-old called ________, according to Mark's Epilogue.
11. What is the name of the arrogant Frenchman in chapter Rare, or Medium Rare, who Adams, Carwardine and Richard detest instantly?
12. How much was the strange person asking in return for all of their books?
(a) 1 sack of gold.
(b) 1 sack of diamonds.
(c) 3 sacks of gold.
(d) 7 sacks of diamonds.
13. What was the name of the Mauritius kestrel who was in love with Carl Jones?
14. The story in the chapter Sifting Through the Embers details a summer, when the people of the city were busy thriving and prospering, a strange ________ arrived at the gates.
(a) Old beggar woman.
(b) Hairless child.
(c) Dirty witch.
(d) Toothless man.
15. The Chapter Rare, or Medium Rare states that in the Indian Ocean on an island called Mauritius there was a very rare bird, perhaps the rarest of all ________, called the Mauritius Kestrel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Adams and Carwardine entered the Friendship Store in the chapter Blind Panic to purchase what item?
2. In November ________, Carl found a parakeet nest with three eggs inside.
3. How much was the old beggar woman asking for in return for a quarter of her books?
4. Adams informs the reader that ________, from the point of view of the ecology of the Mauritius, is a major problem.
5. What story once bothered Douglas Adams when he was young according to the chapter Sifting Through the Embers?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)