|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Heartbeats in the Night, Douglas Adams wonders why so many words that describe what the sun does in the morning begin with the letters "________."
2. Who was the photographer on the plane with Adams in Twig Technology?
(a) Don Merton.
(b) Chris Muir.
(c) Alain le Garsmeur.
(d) Condo Subagyo.
3. Who knows more about Kakapos than anyone else in the world, according to Adams?
(a) Chen Peixun.
(b) Jean-Jacques Petter.
(c) Doreen Montgomery.
(d) Don Merton.
4. All of the following were on-board the twenty-three-foot fishing vessel in the chapter Here Be Chickens, except for which?
(a) Four chickens.
(c) Two small boys.
(d) A goat.
5. The currency-declaration forms that Adams and Carwardine had to fill out in Zaire had the heading ________, crossed out, with "Zaire" written instead in pencil.
(a) French Territory.
(b) District of Columbia.
(c) Belgian Congo.
(d) Property of the United States.
6. The narrator explains in Twig Technology that monkeys are ambitious and interested in all sorts of things, especially ________, with which they found they could do all kinds of things that they couldn't do by themselves.
7. Adams expresses that if you took the whole of ________, scrunched it up a bit, shook out all the moose and reindeer, hurled it ten thousand miles around the world, and filled it with birds, then you'd be wasting your time, because it looks as if someone has already done it.
8. Douglas Adams was a self-proclaimed writer of humorous ________.
(b) Romance fiction.
(c) Historical fiction.
(d) Science fiction.
9. A guest house or small hotel in Indonesia is called a ________.
10. Douglas Adams explains that "one of the characteristics that laymen find most odd about zoologists is their insatiable enthusiasm for ________."
(a) Animal breeding.
(b) Animal hair.
(c) Animal droppings.
(d) Animal fossils.
11. In Here Be Chickens, room service told Adams and Carwardine that the ________ would be a handy thing to have when looking for man-eating lizards.
(a) Pepper spray.
(b) Bow and arrow.
(d) Cricket bat.
12. What is the name of the mountain parrots that are very intelligent, with long curved beaks and distinctive wing beats in the chapter, Heartbeats in the Night?
(a) The Kea.
(b) Gray-necked Rockfowl.
(c) Congo Peafowl.
13. Adams informs the reader that "Moose" was short for ________.
(c) Tineka Jawana.
14. According to the narrator in the chapter Leopard-skin Pillbox Hat, where in Zaire do the mountain gorillas live?
(a) Amak Volcano.
(b) Cold Bay Volcano.
(c) Buldir Volcano.
(d) The Virunga Volcanoes.
15. In the beginning of Twig Technology, the narrator reveals that he went to what country?
(d) New Guinea.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the charming man with a squarish face, a shock of wavy black hair, and a thick black mustache that sat on his lip like a bar of chocolate?
2. What bird in the chapter Heartbeats in the Night does Adams say he was destined never to find out anything more about while on his way to the warden's lodge?
3. The first thing Adams and Carwardine saw in the Zaire customs hut was a picture of a ________.
4. What animal is the world's largest, fattest, and least able-to-fly parrot?
5. According to the agent at the Merpati Airlines, there were ________ people booked on Adams and Carwardine's return flight to Bali.
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)