|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the village in the foothills of the Virungas, which marks the point where the road finally gives up, and from which Adams and Carwardine had to travel on by foot?
2. Carwardine told Adams before going to bed in the chapter, Leopard-skin Pillbox Hat, to turn his boots upside-down and shake them in the morning for what reason?
3. In what decade did Madagascar manage to divest themselves from French rule?
4. In Heartbeats in the Night, Douglas Adams wonders why so many words that describe what the sun does in the morning begin with the letters "________."
5. Other than Madagascar, where else does the Aye-aye live?
(c) New Zealand.
6. What is the name of the mountain parrots that are very intelligent, with long curved beaks and distinctive wing beats in the chapter, Heartbeats in the Night?
(a) Congo Peafowl.
(c) The Kea.
(d) Gray-necked Rockfowl.
7. According to Adams, what happens to all cats born in Labuan Bajo?
(a) They are killed.
(b) They have their tails docked.
(c) They are sold on the black market.
(d) They are shipped to Europe.
8. What was the name of the BBC sound engineer that accompanied Douglas Adams and Mark Carwardine?
(a) Liu Renjun.
(b) Chris Muir.
(c) John Fontana.
(d) Robert Giusti.
9. According to the narrator in Twig Technology, in ________, by some sort of journalistic accident, the narrator went to look for an almost extinct animal.
10. Twig Technology says that the Kakapo lives in what country?
(a) New Guinea.
(b) New Finland.
(c) New Amsterdam.
(d) New Zealand.
11. What was the first animal Adams and Carwardine looked for in Here Be Chickens?
(a) Komodo dragon.
(c) White Lion.
(d) Squirrel monkey.
12. According to Adams in Twig Technology, Antananarivo is pronounced ________.
13. Mark Carwardine states that the "________ is an incredibly complex system, but when you're actually standing in it, it looks half-empty."
(b) Primary rain forest.
14. Who are the two stereotypically superior, young German tourists in Zaïre who go with Adams and Carwardine on their search for mountain gorillas?
(a) Murara and Serundori.
(b) Helmut and Kurt.
(c) Arab and Zhou.
(d) Kes and Fraser.
15. What guide did Adams and Carwardine expect to have in the chapter Here Be Chickens?
(a) Bill Black.
(c) Mr. Condo.
(d) Gary "Arab" Aburn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the charming man with a squarish face, a shock of wavy black hair, and a thick black mustache that sat on his lip like a bar of chocolate?
2. According to Dr. Sutherland, the ________ is the fifteenth deadliest snake in the world, and all the other fourteen are in ________.
3. The first thing Adams and Carwardine saw in the Zaire customs hut was a picture of a ________.
4. Chapter Leopard-skin Pillbox Hat asserts that the other ________ are the gorillas, of which there are ________ subspecies.
5. Bill Black claims he has flown in Fiordland for ________ years.
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)