|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After they return to New York City, what does Langston begin planning?
2. Who does Simple represent?
3. Where does Hughes live in Barcelona?
4. What does this group of individuals decide to create?
5. Why are Hughes and the crew sent to Odessa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Langston write the poem "Tomorrow's Seed."
2. How is Langston able to tour the American South for the entirety of the summer?
3. What does Langston do after his first year at Lincoln?
4. Describe Langston's poetry-reading tour.
5. What does Langston do while in Carmel, California?
6. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
7. Where do Langston and his mother move? How is this beneficial?
8. What does Langston do with a four hundred dollar prize for "Not Without Laughter?"
9. What does Langston do with the money he earns from the movie?
10. What does Langston do when he travels to New Orleans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hughes explores many different media.
Part 1) In what media does Hughes experiment? Why does he do this?
Part 2) How do these explorations affect his poetry? Why?
Part 3) How do these explorations affect Hughes' career as an artist? Why are these explorations significant?
Essay Topic 2
Hughes has a strong work ethic.
Part 1) How is this revealed early in his life? How does he come about this work ethic?
Part 2) How does this affect his art?
Part 3) Would he have been as successful without this curiosity and interest in the world? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Mary McLeod Bethune helps Langston Hughes.
Part 1) Who is Mary McLeod Bethune? How does Langston know her?
Part 2) How does she influence Langston's life?
Part 3) How have those people with whom Langston has come into contact influence his life and work?
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)