|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During this time he meets with many important literary figures of what movement?
2. Why does Hughes ask for a loan from Knopf, his publisher?
3. When he returned to Harlem in January of 1938, what does Langston do?
4. How is "The Big Sea" received by many critics?
5. What does Langston think about his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the movie for which Hughes had been asked to become a writer?
2. What does Langston do with a four hundred dollar prize for "Not Without Laughter?"
3. Describe Langston's poetry-reading tour.
4. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
5. Who is Jesse B. Simple?
6. What poetry does Hughes write during this summer?
7. What does Langston do when he travels to New Orleans?
8. Why does Hughes travel to Spain?
9. What does Langston do upon returning to the United States?
10. What does Langston do while in Carmel, California?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hughes says he begins writing poetry because "he could not help himself."
Part 1) Why does he not have this attitude early on in life?
Part 2) What causes this change?
Part 3) How does this type of attitude lead him through his life?
Essay Topic 2
Hughes' work often gets him into trouble.
Part 1) Why does it get him into trouble?
Part 2) Would it get him into trouble today?
Part 3) Do writers and other artists today get themselves into trouble for the same issues Hughes got himself into trouble? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Langston goes on a poetry-reading tour.
Part 1) Describe this tour. Why does he go on this tour?
Part 2) How does he affect those to which he speaks? Why?
Part 3) How is Hughes affected by the people to which he speaks and meets?
Part 4) How does racism continue to play a role in Hughes' life during this time?
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)