|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the first Simple story appear in the Chicago Defender?
2. How does Hughes become involved with anti-war campaigns?
3. How much success does Langston have with these submissions?
4. What do Langston and Zell Ingram, a friend from Cleveland, decide to do?
5. Why does Hughes ask for a loan from Knopf, his publisher?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aimie Semple McPherson say about Langston?
2. What does Langston do upon returning to the United States?
3. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
4. Describe Langston's poetry-reading tour.
5. What does Langston do after his first year at Lincoln?
6. Why does Hughes travel to Spain?
7. What does Langston do, while he is in Chicago?
8. Why does Hughes' poetry get him into trouble?
9. What does Langston do with a four hundred dollar prize for "Not Without Laughter?"
10. What does Langston do while in Carmel, California?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mary McLeod Bethune helps Langston Hughes.
Part 1) Who is Mary McLeod Bethune? How does Langston know her?
Part 2) How does she influence Langston's life?
Part 3) How have those people with whom Langston has come into contact influence his life and work?
Essay Topic 2
"Mulatto" appears on Broadway.
Part 1) Why is the subject of this play important to Hughes?
Part 2) What is significant about this play?
Part 3) What does the popularity of this play reveal about the American people at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Hughes travels to Africa.
Part 1) Describe his trip. Does it turn out as he expected? Why or why not?
Part 2) What is ironic about this trip?
Part 3) Why is color so important to various cultures at this time? Is race still important today? Explain.
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)