|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Langston meet in Ashkhabad?
2. The result of Hughes' time spent writing in this place is what?
3. How do Langston's plays become more socially relevant?
4. In New Orleans, what job does Hughes take?
5. Why does Hughes ask for a loan from Knopf, his publisher?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Langston write the poem "Tomorrow's Seed."
2. What does Langston do when he returns to Harlem?
3. What does Langston do after his first year at Lincoln?
4. Why does Hughes' poetry get him into trouble?
5. What does Langston do, while he is in Chicago?
6. What difficulties exist for Langston after graduation?
7. What does Langston do with the money he earns from the movie?
8. What does Aimie Semple McPherson say about Langston?
9. Describe Langston's poetry-reading tour.
10. What does Langston do upon returning to the United States?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Langston is involved in anti-war campaigns.
Part 1) How is he involved in anti-war campaigns? Why is he involved in these campaigns?
Part 2) How does his early interest in social issues foreshadow this?
Part 3) How do his anti-war campaigns affect others? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Hughes travels to Africa.
Part 1) Describe his trip. Does it turn out as he expected? Why or why not?
Part 2) What is ironic about this trip?
Part 3) Why is color so important to various cultures at this time? Is race still important today? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Hughes travels to Spain.
Part 1) Why does he travel to Spain? How is this trip foreshadowed?
Part 2) What does this trip reveal about Hughes' character?
Part 3) How does Hughes' time in Spain affect him and those with whom he comes into contact? Why?
This section contains 1,091 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)