|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Langston and his friend set off for the South?
2. Who gives Langston a thousand dollar grant?
3. After they return to New York City, what does Langston begin planning?
4. When does Langston return to the United States?
5. Where does Langston say he met a man named Simple?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Langston do with the money he earns from the movie?
2. What does Langston do after his first year at Lincoln?
3. Describe Langston's poetry-reading tour.
4. Why does Hughes' poetry get him into trouble?
5. What does Langston do upon returning to the United States?
6. Where do Langston and his mother move? How is this beneficial?
7. What poetry does Hughes write during this summer?
8. How is Langston able to tour the American South for the entirety of the summer?
9. What is significant about "Don't You Want to Be Free?"
10. Why does Langston write the poem "Tomorrow's Seed."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hughes' family life is unsettled.
Part 1) Describe his family life. Why is it so unsettled?
Part 2) How do his family dynamics affect him?
Part 3) How does the theme of a division between black and white play into this unsettled family?
Essay Topic 2
Hughes throws his books over the edge of a ship.
Part 1) Why had a brought the books along? Why does he throw them overboard?
Part 2) What causes this decision? How does this action reflect his view of life and his work?
Part 3) What does this reveal about his beliefs about his trip to Africa?
Essay Topic 3
Hughes travels to Spain.
Part 1) Why does he travel to Spain? How is this trip foreshadowed?
Part 2) What does this trip reveal about Hughes' character?
Part 3) How does Hughes' time in Spain affect him and those with whom he comes into contact? Why?
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)