|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does this trip south take Langston?
2. Why are his readings canceled?
3. Why does Langston become depressed?
4. Where does the incident occur where the colored teachers of a school were told they'd be fired if Hughes, an assumed Communist, read his poetry?
5. Where does Hughes live in Barcelona?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Langston do, while he is in Chicago?
2. What does Langston do with the money he earns from the movie?
3. Who is Jesse B. Simple?
4. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
5. Where do Langston and his mother move? How is this beneficial?
6. What does Aimie Semple McPherson say about Langston?
7. What does Langston do after his first year at Lincoln?
8. What does Langston do while in Carmel, California?
9. What does Langston do when he returns to Harlem?
10. What difficulties exist for Langston after graduation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hughes does not want to climb the social ladder.
Part 1) Why does he not want to climb the social ladder?
Part 2) Is he trying to help others climb the social ladder? Why or why not?
Part 3) Has Hughes climbed the social ladder, even though it is something he does not want? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
A theme found in much of Hughes' work is the optimism of humor.
Part 1) How is this a theme?
Part 2) How is humor optimistic? What does this reveal about Hughes?
Part 3) How might this theme draw readers to Hughes' work?
Essay Topic 3
Hughes' family life is unsettled.
Part 1) Describe his family life. Why is it so unsettled?
Part 2) How do his family dynamics affect him?
Part 3) How does the theme of a division between black and white play into this unsettled family?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)