|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hughes do when he returns to Moscow?
2. What does Mrs. Bethune ask Langston to do for her students?
3. To whom is "Tomorrow's Seed" dedicated?
4. Why are Hughes and the crew sent to Odessa?
5. Why do Lucas and Hughes spend most of their evenings as guests in black households?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
2. Describe Langston's poetry-reading tour.
3. Why does Langston write the poem "Tomorrow's Seed."
4. What does Langston do when he travels to New Orleans?
5. What does Langston do with a four hundred dollar prize for "Not Without Laughter?"
6. What does Langston do upon returning to the United States?
7. What difficulties exist for Langston after graduation?
8. Why does Hughes travel to Spain?
9. What does Aimie Semple McPherson say about Langston?
10. What does Langston do while in Carmel, California?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hughes travels to Spain.
Part 1) Why does he travel to Spain? How is this trip foreshadowed?
Part 2) What does this trip reveal about Hughes' character?
Part 3) How does Hughes' time in Spain affect him and those with whom he comes into contact? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Hughes travels to Africa.
Part 1) Describe his trip. Does it turn out as he expected? Why or why not?
Part 2) What is ironic about this trip?
Part 3) Why is color so important to various cultures at this time? Is race still important today? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Hughes does not want to climb the social ladder.
Part 1) Why does he not want to climb the social ladder?
Part 2) Is he trying to help others climb the social ladder? Why or why not?
Part 3) Has Hughes climbed the social ladder, even though it is something he does not want? Explain.
This section contains 1,120 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)