|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Langston a thousand dollar grant?
2. Where does Noel Sullivan, an old friend of Hughes', put him up?
3. With what is Hughes' poetry often infused?
4. Why are Hughes and the crew sent to Odessa?
5. Does Langston read his poetry at this luncheon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the movie for which Hughes had been asked to become a writer?
2. What does Langston do after his first year at Lincoln?
3. Describe Langston's poetry-reading tour.
4. What does Langston do when he returns to Harlem?
5. What does Langston do when he travels to New Orleans?
6. What does Langston do while in Carmel, California?
7. Who is Jesse B. Simple?
8. Why does Langston write the poem "Tomorrow's Seed."
9. What is significant about "Don't You Want to Be Free?"
10. What does Langston do upon returning to the United States?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of this text's themes regards the division between black and white.
Part 1)How is this theme revealed in Langston's family?
Part 2) How does this theme surface throughout the book?
Part 3) How is there irony in this theme when Langston travels to Africa?
Essay Topic 2
Hughes is accepted into Columbia University.
Part 1) Describe his experience at Columbia.
Part 2) Why does he drop out? How does his experience at Columbia play a role in his decision to drop out?
Part 3) Is Langston's college experience worthwhile? Why or why not? What purpose does this time at Columbia serve?
Essay Topic 3
Langston goes on a poetry-reading tour.
Part 1) Describe this tour. Why does he go on this tour?
Part 2) How does he affect those to which he speaks? Why?
Part 3) How is Hughes affected by the people to which he speaks and meets?
Part 4) How does racism continue to play a role in Hughes' life during this time?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)