|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
2. Where does Langston say he met a man named Simple?
3. Where does Langston tour for the entirety of the summer?
4. In the spring of 1937 for whom does Hughes travel to Spain as a correspondent?
5. What happens to the musical revue for which Langston works as a song lyricist?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Langston and his mother move? How is this beneficial?
2. What happens after Langston returns to New York City?
3. What difficulties exist for Langston after graduation?
4. What happens to the movie for which Hughes had been asked to become a writer?
5. Who is Jesse B. Simple?
6. Describe Langston's poetry-reading tour.
7. What does Aimie Semple McPherson say about Langston?
8. Why does Hughes travel to Spain?
9. How is Langston able to tour the American South for the entirety of the summer?
10. What does Langston do with a four hundred dollar prize for "Not Without Laughter?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Langston goes on a poetry-reading tour.
Part 1) Describe this tour. Why does he go on this tour?
Part 2) How does he affect those to which he speaks? Why?
Part 3) How is Hughes affected by the people to which he speaks and meets?
Part 4) How does racism continue to play a role in Hughes' life during this time?
Essay Topic 2
Hughes throws his books over the edge of a ship.
Part 1) Why had a brought the books along? Why does he throw them overboard?
Part 2) What causes this decision? How does this action reflect his view of life and his work?
Part 3) What does this reveal about his beliefs about his trip to Africa?
Essay Topic 3
Hughes' family life is unsettled.
Part 1) Describe his family life. Why is it so unsettled?
Part 2) How do his family dynamics affect him?
Part 3) How does the theme of a division between black and white play into this unsettled family?
This section contains 1,144 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)