|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Into what language are Langston's poems translated?
2. What does Langston receive for "Not Without Laughter?"
3. To where do Langston and his mother move back?
4. With what difficult position is Langston posed?
5. What does this group of individuals decide to create?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aimie Semple McPherson say about Langston?
2. What does Langston do while in Carmel, California?
3. Describe Langston's poetry-reading tour.
4. What does Langston do upon returning to the United States?
5. What does Langston do, while he is in Chicago?
6. What difficulties exist for Langston after graduation?
7. Why does Langston write the poem "Tomorrow's Seed."
8. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
9. What does Langston do after his first year at Lincoln?
10. What poetry does Hughes write during this summer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hughes travels to Africa.
Part 1) Describe his trip. Does it turn out as he expected? Why or why not?
Part 2) What is ironic about this trip?
Part 3) Why is color so important to various cultures at this time? Is race still important today? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
One of this text's themes regards the division between black and white.
Part 1)How is this theme revealed in Langston's family?
Part 2) How does this theme surface throughout the book?
Part 3) How is there irony in this theme when Langston travels to Africa?
Essay Topic 3
Langston travels to Asia.
Part 1) How is he able to travel here? Why does he want to go to Asia?
Part 2) Describe his Asian travels. How is he affected by these travels?
Part 3) How do Langston's travels in Asia influence those with whom he meets? Use the text to support your response.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)