|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In how many books does Simple appear?
2. Who is the founder of Bethune-Cookman?
3. When do Langston and his friend set off for the South?
4. How does Fisk College reward Hughes for reading his poems at their college?
5. What does his mother receive while they are there?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Langston write the poem "Tomorrow's Seed."
2. What poetry does Hughes write during this summer?
3. Who is Jesse B. Simple?
4. What does Langston do, while he is in Chicago?
5. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
6. What does Langston do upon returning to the United States?
7. What difficulties exist for Langston after graduation?
8. What is significant about "Don't You Want to Be Free?"
9. What does Langston do when he returns to Harlem?
10. What does Langston do with a four hundred dollar prize for "Not Without Laughter?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of this text's themes regards the division between black and white.
Part 1)How is this theme revealed in Langston's family?
Part 2) How does this theme surface throughout the book?
Part 3) How is there irony in this theme when Langston travels to Africa?
Essay Topic 2
Hughes travels to Spain.
Part 1) Why does he travel to Spain? How is this trip foreshadowed?
Part 2) What does this trip reveal about Hughes' character?
Part 3) How does Hughes' time in Spain affect him and those with whom he comes into contact? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Langston is involved in anti-war campaigns.
Part 1) How is he involved in anti-war campaigns? Why is he involved in these campaigns?
Part 2) How does his early interest in social issues foreshadow this?
Part 3) How do his anti-war campaigns affect others? Why?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)