|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Langston stay the following summer in order to complete his first novel?
2. For how long does "Don't You Want to Be Free?" run?
3. When Fire is finally published at the end of the summer, how is it received?
4. With what difficult position is Langston posed?
5. Who gives Langston a thousand dollar grant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Langston do after his first year at Lincoln?
2. What difficulties exist for Langston after graduation?
3. Why does Hughes travel to Spain?
4. Who is Jesse B. Simple?
5. What does Langston do upon returning to the United States?
6. Describe Langston's poetry-reading tour.
7. Why does Langston write the poem "Tomorrow's Seed."
8. What does Langston do when he travels to New Orleans?
9. What does Langston do, while he is in Chicago?
10. What does Langston do while in Carmel, California?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Mulatto" appears on Broadway.
Part 1) Why is the subject of this play important to Hughes?
Part 2) What is significant about this play?
Part 3) What does the popularity of this play reveal about the American people at this time?
Essay Topic 2
Hughes is a sociologist.
Part 1) How do you know this?
Part 2) How does his curiosity about society get him into trouble? Why does it get him into trouble?
Part 3) How does he use this interest in sociology affect his poetry, as well as his popularity as an artist?
Essay Topic 3
Hughes does not want to climb the social ladder.
Part 1) Why does he not want to climb the social ladder?
Part 2) Is he trying to help others climb the social ladder? Why or why not?
Part 3) Has Hughes climbed the social ladder, even though it is something he does not want? Explain.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)