|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Fire is finally published at the end of the summer, how is it received?
2. Where does Noel Sullivan, an old friend of Hughes', put him up?
3. After they return to New York City, what does Langston begin planning?
4. Is Langston interested in teaching after he has graduated college?
5. Where does Hughes live in Barcelona?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Langston able to tour the American South for the entirety of the summer?
2. Why does Langston write the poem "Tomorrow's Seed."
3. Why does Hughes' poetry get him into trouble?
4. What happens to the movie for which Hughes had been asked to become a writer?
5. What poetry does Hughes write during this summer?
6. What does Langston do while in Carmel, California?
7. Describe Langston's poetry-reading tour.
8. Where do Langston and his mother move? How is this beneficial?
9. What happens after Langston returns to New York City?
10. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hughes says he begins writing poetry because "he could not help himself."
Part 1) Why does he not have this attitude early on in life?
Part 2) What causes this change?
Part 3) How does this type of attitude lead him through his life?
Essay Topic 2
Mary McLeod Bethune helps Langston Hughes.
Part 1) Who is Mary McLeod Bethune? How does Langston know her?
Part 2) How does she influence Langston's life?
Part 3) How have those people with whom Langston has come into contact influence his life and work?
Essay Topic 3
Hughes' work often gets him into trouble.
Part 1) Why does it get him into trouble?
Part 2) Would it get him into trouble today?
Part 3) Do writers and other artists today get themselves into trouble for the same issues Hughes got himself into trouble? Explain.
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)