|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what is Hughes' poetry often infused?
2. What happens to the musical revue for which Langston works as a song lyricist?
3. What does Hughes do before leaving for Paris?
4. What does Mrs. Bethune ask Langston to do for her students?
5. To where do Langston and his mother move back?
Essay Topic 1
Hughes is accepted into Columbia University.
Part 1) Describe his experience at Columbia.
Part 2) Why does he drop out? How does his experience at Columbia play a role in his decision to drop out?
Part 3) Is Langston's college experience worthwhile? Why or why not? What purpose does this time at Columbia serve?
Essay Topic 2
Hughes does not want to climb the social ladder.
Part 1) Why does he not want to climb the social ladder?
Part 2) Is he trying to help others climb the social ladder? Why or why not?
Part 3) Has Hughes climbed the social ladder, even though it is something he does not want? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Hughes has an interest in social issues.
Part 1) In what social issues, specifically, is Hughes interested?
Part 2) How does this interest shape his work and career?
Part 3) How does his work in both the United States and abroad affect those nations?
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)