|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After they return to New York City, what does Langston begin planning?
2. Who gives Langston a thousand dollar grant?
3. Where does Hughes live in Barcelona?
4. How does this person feel about Langston's poem, "Goodbye Christ?"
5. Why do Lucas and Hughes spend most of their evenings as guests in black households?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Langston do with a four hundred dollar prize for "Not Without Laughter?"
2. What does Langston do when he returns to Harlem?
3. What happens after Langston returns to New York City?
4. What does Aimie Semple McPherson say about Langston?
5. What does Langston do after his first year at Lincoln?
6. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
7. What difficulties exist for Langston after graduation?
8. Describe Langston's poetry-reading tour.
9. Who is Jesse B. Simple?
10. Why does Hughes travel to Spain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Mulatto" appears on Broadway.
Part 1) Why is the subject of this play important to Hughes?
Part 2) What is significant about this play?
Part 3) What does the popularity of this play reveal about the American people at this time?
Essay Topic 2
Hughes has a strong work ethic.
Part 1) How is this revealed early in his life? How does he come about this work ethic?
Part 2) How does this affect his art?
Part 3) Would he have been as successful without this curiosity and interest in the world? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
One of this text's themes regards the division between black and white.
Part 1)How is this theme revealed in Langston's family?
Part 2) How does this theme surface throughout the book?
Part 3) How is there irony in this theme when Langston travels to Africa?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)