|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hughes purchase?
2. Why do Lucas and Hughes spend most of their evenings as guests in black households?
3. To where do Langston and his mother move back?
4. Who is Aimie Semple McPherson?
5. Who does Simple represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jesse B. Simple?
2. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
3. Why does Hughes travel to Spain?
4. Why does Hughes' poetry get him into trouble?
5. What does Langston do with a four hundred dollar prize for "Not Without Laughter?"
6. What happens to the movie for which Hughes had been asked to become a writer?
7. Where do Langston and his mother move? How is this beneficial?
8. What does Langston do when he travels to New Orleans?
9. What does Aimie Semple McPherson say about Langston?
10. Describe Langston's poetry-reading tour.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hughes has an interest in social issues.
Part 1) In what social issues, specifically, is Hughes interested?
Part 2) How does this interest shape his work and career?
Part 3) How does his work in both the United States and abroad affect those nations?
Essay Topic 2
Mary McLeod Bethune helps Langston Hughes.
Part 1) Who is Mary McLeod Bethune? How does Langston know her?
Part 2) How does she influence Langston's life?
Part 3) How have those people with whom Langston has come into contact influence his life and work?
Essay Topic 3
Hughes has a strong work ethic.
Part 1) How is this revealed early in his life? How does he come about this work ethic?
Part 2) How does this affect his art?
Part 3) Would he have been as successful without this curiosity and interest in the world? Explain.
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)