|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does this trip south take Langston?
2. What does his mother receive while they are there?
3. What does Hughes do when he returns to Moscow?
4. About what is Hughes to report?
5. Where does the incident occur where the colored teachers of a school were told they'd be fired if Hughes, an assumed Communist, read his poetry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Langston do upon returning to the United States?
2. Why does Hughes travel to Spain?
3. What does Langston do after his first year at Lincoln?
4. What does Aimie Semple McPherson say about Langston?
5. What does Langston do when he returns to Harlem?
6. What does Langston do when he travels to New Orleans?
7. What happens to the movie for which Hughes had been asked to become a writer?
8. Describe Langston's poetry-reading tour.
9. What happens after Langston returns to New York City?
10. Where do Langston and his mother move? How is this beneficial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hughes travels to Spain.
Part 1) Why does he travel to Spain? How is this trip foreshadowed?
Part 2) What does this trip reveal about Hughes' character?
Part 3) How does Hughes' time in Spain affect him and those with whom he comes into contact? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Hughes' father is interested in paying for him to go to college.
Part 1) What does his father want him to study? What does Langston want to study?
Part 2) Why does his father want him to go to college? How is this motive revealed in the book?
Part 3) How does his father's reason for sending Langston to college reinforce Langston's opinion of him?
Essay Topic 3
Hughes' work often gets him into trouble.
Part 1) Why does it get him into trouble?
Part 2) Would it get him into trouble today?
Part 3) Do writers and other artists today get themselves into trouble for the same issues Hughes got himself into trouble? Explain.
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)