|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Fire is finally published at the end of the summer, how is it received?
2. What does Langston receive for "Not Without Laughter?"
3. While in Baton Rouge, what does Langston visit?
4. For how long does "Don't You Want to Be Free?" run?
5. Is Langston interested in teaching after he has graduated college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hughes travels to Spain.
Part 1) Why does he travel to Spain? How is this trip foreshadowed?
Part 2) What does this trip reveal about Hughes' character?
Part 3) How does Hughes' time in Spain affect him and those with whom he comes into contact? Why?
Essay Topic 2
"Mulatto" appears on Broadway.
Part 1) Why is the subject of this play important to Hughes?
Part 2) What is significant about this play?
Part 3) What does the popularity of this play reveal about the American people at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Langston is involved in anti-war campaigns.
Part 1) How is he involved in anti-war campaigns? Why is he involved in these campaigns?
Part 2) How does his early interest in social issues foreshadow this?
Part 3) How do his anti-war campaigns affect others? Why?
This section contains 1,157 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)