|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Langston's mother just done?
2. What does Langston do on the train ride to Mexico?
3. What does Langston do when he hears how much his food will cost?
4. By whom is Langston greatly influenced?
5. In Africa, how is Hughes considered?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Langston affected by his father's attitude?
2. Describe Lincoln.
3. Why do Langston's classmates believe he would be a good poet?
4. Describe Hughes' family history.
5. How is Langston affected by racism at this point in his life?
6. How is Langston, again, affected by racism, on his train ride home from Mexico?
7. What happens to Langston when he goes to a cafeteria with a white friend?
8. What does Langston do while at Lincoln?
9. How is Langston's father's mind changed, regarding his collegiate studies?
10. What happens when Langston becomes a busboy at the Wardman Park Hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hughes says he begins writing poetry because "he could not help himself."
Part 1) Why does he not have this attitude early on in life?
Part 2) What causes this change?
Part 3) How does this type of attitude lead him through his life?
Essay Topic 2
Hughes has a strong work ethic.
Part 1) How is this revealed early in his life? How does he come about this work ethic?
Part 2) How does this affect his art?
Part 3) Would he have been as successful without this curiosity and interest in the world? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Hughes travels to Spain.
Part 1) Why does he travel to Spain? How is this trip foreshadowed?
Part 2) What does this trip reveal about Hughes' character?
Part 3) How does Hughes' time in Spain affect him and those with whom he comes into contact? Why?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)