|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Langston help this family?
2. How does Langston's father try to convince Langston to come to Mexico for the summer?
3. What does Langston do on the train ride to Mexico?
4. In what community center does Langston become involved?
5. What do the children do one by one?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Langston affected by his father's attitude?
2. What is Langston's job on the S.S. West Hesseltine?
3. Why does Langston return to Mexico for the summer?
4. In what literature is Langston interested at this time?
5. What happens when Langston becomes a busboy at the Wardman Park Hotel?
6. What happened to Langston, one day during a revival at the church?
7. What happens to Langston when he goes to a cafeteria with a white friend?
8. What happens when Langston returns to New York?
9. What does Langston do while at Lincoln?
10. How does Langston become involved in school activities at Central High School?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A theme found in much of Hughes' work is the optimism of humor.
Part 1) How is this a theme?
Part 2) How is humor optimistic? What does this reveal about Hughes?
Part 3) How might this theme draw readers to Hughes' work?
Essay Topic 2
Hughes' father is interested in paying for him to go to college.
Part 1) What does his father want him to study? What does Langston want to study?
Part 2) Why does his father want him to go to college? How is this motive revealed in the book?
Part 3) How does his father's reason for sending Langston to college reinforce Langston's opinion of him?
Essay Topic 3
Hughes does not want to climb the social ladder.
Part 1) Why does he not want to climb the social ladder?
Part 2) Is he trying to help others climb the social ladder? Why or why not?
Part 3) Has Hughes climbed the social ladder, even though it is something he does not want? Explain.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)