|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Langston's mother write?
2. Of what is Langston an active member?
3. How does Mary make her living?
4. How does Langston's father try to convince Langston to come to Mexico for the summer?
5. What happens when Langston is a junior in high school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Langston, again, affected by racism, on his train ride home from Mexico?
2. Describe Lincoln.
3. What happens when Langston returns to New York?
4. Why does Langston travel to McKeesport, Pennsylvania?
5. What does Langston do, now that he has become interested in social issues?
6. What takes place during Langston's senior year?
7. Why does Langston return to Mexico for the summer?
8. Why do Langston's classmates believe he would be a good poet?
9. Describe Langston's father.
10. How do Langston and his father get into an argument?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hughes is a sociologist.
Part 1) How do you know this?
Part 2) How does his curiosity about society get him into trouble? Why does it get him into trouble?
Part 3) How does he use this interest in sociology affect his poetry, as well as his popularity as an artist?
Essay Topic 2
Langston is involved in anti-war campaigns.
Part 1) How is he involved in anti-war campaigns? Why is he involved in these campaigns?
Part 2) How does his early interest in social issues foreshadow this?
Part 3) How do his anti-war campaigns affect others? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Hughes has a strong work ethic.
Part 1) How is this revealed early in his life? How does he come about this work ethic?
Part 2) How does this affect his art?
Part 3) Would he have been as successful without this curiosity and interest in the world? Explain.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)