|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does his mother do afterward?
2. How is Langston treated in Africa?
3. How does Langston's father try to convince Langston to come to Mexico for the summer?
4. Why do the children do this?
5. What does Langston find to still be prevalent when he visits his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Langston, one day during a revival at the church?
2. Why does Langston travel to McKeesport, Pennsylvania?
3. How does Langston get the opportunity to travel to Africa? What does he do, as he travels across the ocean?
4. What does Langston do, now that he has become interested in social issues?
5. What is Langston's job on the S.S. West Hesseltine?
6. What happens when Langston's mother performs at church?
7. How do Langston and his father get into an argument?
8. How is Langston, again, affected by racism, on his train ride home from Mexico?
9. What does Langston do after dropping out of Columbia?
10. Describe Langston's father.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hughes travels to Spain.
Part 1) Why does he travel to Spain? How is this trip foreshadowed?
Part 2) What does this trip reveal about Hughes' character?
Part 3) How does Hughes' time in Spain affect him and those with whom he comes into contact? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Hughes is accepted into Columbia University.
Part 1) Describe his experience at Columbia.
Part 2) Why does he drop out? How does his experience at Columbia play a role in his decision to drop out?
Part 3) Is Langston's college experience worthwhile? Why or why not? What purpose does this time at Columbia serve?
Essay Topic 3
Hughes is a sociologist.
Part 1) How do you know this?
Part 2) How does his curiosity about society get him into trouble? Why does it get him into trouble?
Part 3) How does he use this interest in sociology affect his poetry, as well as his popularity as an artist?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)