|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe Hughes' family history.
2. How are his first few months in this city?
3. What job does Langston have on his first ship?
4. In what does Hughes become interested?
5. What does Langston's father say about American blacks and Mexicans?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Langston and his father get into an argument?
2. How does Langston feel about attending church with the Reeds?
3. Describe Lincoln.
4. What does Langston do while at Lincoln?
5. What happens when Langston's mother performs at church?
6. How is Langston treated in Africa?
7. In what literature is Langston interested at this time?
8. Why does Langston travel to McKeesport, Pennsylvania?
9. What takes place during Langston's senior year?
10. What jobs does Langston have while living with the Reeds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hughes travels to Spain.
Part 1) Why does he travel to Spain? How is this trip foreshadowed?
Part 2) What does this trip reveal about Hughes' character?
Part 3) How does Hughes' time in Spain affect him and those with whom he comes into contact? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Hughes says he begins writing poetry because "he could not help himself."
Part 1) Why does he not have this attitude early on in life?
Part 2) What causes this change?
Part 3) How does this type of attitude lead him through his life?
Essay Topic 3
Hughes' work often gets him into trouble.
Part 1) Why does it get him into trouble?
Part 2) Would it get him into trouble today?
Part 3) Do writers and other artists today get themselves into trouble for the same issues Hughes got himself into trouble? Explain.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)