|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Langston employed on a freighter?
2. Who will Langston be joining?
3. Who does Langston's grandmother take Langston to hear at the university?
4. One day when Langston and a white friend go to a cafeteria for lunch, how much does his friend's meal cost?
5. What does Langston's mother want him to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Langston feel about attending church with the Reeds?
2. What happens when Langston becomes a busboy at the Wardman Park Hotel?
3. What happens when Langston returns to New York?
4. What does Langston do after dropping out of Columbia?
5. Why does Langston move to Cleveland?
6. How is Langston affected by his father's attitude?
7. What influences exist in Langston's life at this point?
8. Describe Lincoln.
9. How is Langston affected by racism at this point in his life?
10. Describe Hughes' family history.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hughes is a sociologist.
Part 1) How do you know this?
Part 2) How does his curiosity about society get him into trouble? Why does it get him into trouble?
Part 3) How does he use this interest in sociology affect his poetry, as well as his popularity as an artist?
Essay Topic 2
Langston is involved in anti-war campaigns.
Part 1) How is he involved in anti-war campaigns? Why is he involved in these campaigns?
Part 2) How does his early interest in social issues foreshadow this?
Part 3) How do his anti-war campaigns affect others? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Langston travels to Asia.
Part 1) How is he able to travel here? Why does he want to go to Asia?
Part 2) Describe his Asian travels. How is he affected by these travels?
Part 3) How do Langston's travels in Asia influence those with whom he meets? Use the text to support your response.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)