|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Langston's father approach him one day and say?
2. Who is Dr. Woodson?
3. How much money does Langston earn from The Crisis?
4. Who is Langston's only friend at Columbia?
5. What does Auntie Reed insist that Langston do?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what literature is Langston interested at this time?
2. What jobs does Langston have while living with the Reeds?
3. Describe Lincoln.
4. What does Langston do, now that he has become interested in social issues?
5. Why do Langston's classmates believe he would be a good poet?
6. How does Langston act on stage at church? What are the reactions of the congregation and his mother?
7. How does Langston end up meeting the editors of The Crisis?
8. What influences exist in Langston's life at this point?
9. What happens when Langston becomes a busboy at the Wardman Park Hotel?
10. What does Langston do while at Lincoln?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hughes' family life is unsettled.
Part 1) Describe his family life. Why is it so unsettled?
Part 2) How do his family dynamics affect him?
Part 3) How does the theme of a division between black and white play into this unsettled family?
Essay Topic 2
Hughes has a strong work ethic.
Part 1) How is this revealed early in his life? How does he come about this work ethic?
Part 2) How does this affect his art?
Part 3) Would he have been as successful without this curiosity and interest in the world? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Hughes travels to Spain.
Part 1) Why does he travel to Spain? How is this trip foreshadowed?
Part 2) What does this trip reveal about Hughes' character?
Part 3) How does Hughes' time in Spain affect him and those with whom he comes into contact? Why?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)