|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Langston help this family?
2. Who does Langston's grandmother take Langston to hear at the university?
3. What job does Langston have on his first ship?
4. Why does Langston purchase a new suit and coat and travel to McKeesport, Pennsylvania?
5. What does Langston think about his job as a doorman at a nightclub?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Langston, yet again, faced with prejudice?
2. Why do Langston's classmates believe he would be a good poet?
3. In what literature is Langston interested at this time?
4. What is Langston's job on the S.S. West Hesseltine?
5. How is Langston treated in Africa?
6. Describe Hughes' family history.
7. How is Langston reunited with his father?
8. What jobs does Langston have while living with the Reeds?
9. Why does Langston move to Cleveland?
10. What does Langston do while at Lincoln?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Langston goes on a poetry-reading tour.
Part 1) Describe this tour. Why does he go on this tour?
Part 2) How does he affect those to which he speaks? Why?
Part 3) How is Hughes affected by the people to which he speaks and meets?
Part 4) How does racism continue to play a role in Hughes' life during this time?
Essay Topic 2
Hughes is accepted into Columbia University.
Part 1) Describe his experience at Columbia.
Part 2) Why does he drop out? How does his experience at Columbia play a role in his decision to drop out?
Part 3) Is Langston's college experience worthwhile? Why or why not? What purpose does this time at Columbia serve?
Essay Topic 3
Hughes' family life is unsettled.
Part 1) Describe his family life. Why is it so unsettled?
Part 2) How do his family dynamics affect him?
Part 3) How does the theme of a division between black and white play into this unsettled family?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)