|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Langston learn at this community center?
2. How is Langston treated in Africa?
3. Describe Hughes' family history.
4. In what activity is Hughes involved?
5. After a while, when Langston stops going to classes, in what does he become more interested?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Langston end up meeting the editors of The Crisis?
2. How is Langston reunited with his father?
3. Describe Langston's father.
4. How do Langston and his father get into an argument?
5. What happens when Langston is fourteen?
6. What takes place during Langston's senior year?
7. What happens when Langston returns to New York?
8. How is Langston affected by his father's attitude?
9. What jobs does Langston have while living with the Reeds?
10. Describe Langston's experience in Paris.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hughes travels to Spain.
Part 1) Why does he travel to Spain? How is this trip foreshadowed?
Part 2) What does this trip reveal about Hughes' character?
Part 3) How does Hughes' time in Spain affect him and those with whom he comes into contact? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Langston travels to Asia.
Part 1) How is he able to travel here? Why does he want to go to Asia?
Part 2) Describe his Asian travels. How is he affected by these travels?
Part 3) How do Langston's travels in Asia influence those with whom he meets? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
"Mulatto" appears on Broadway.
Part 1) Why is the subject of this play important to Hughes?
Part 2) What is significant about this play?
Part 3) What does the popularity of this play reveal about the American people at this time?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)