|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Langston's father offer to take Langston?
2. After crossing into the country, why is Langston denied a sleeping car on the train?
3. In what does Hughes become interested?
4. Where will he be joining these people?
5. What does Langston think about his job as a doorman at a nightclub?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hughes' family history.
2. In what literature is Langston interested at this time?
3. Describe Lincoln.
4. Describe Langston's experience in Paris.
5. How do Langston and his father get into an argument?
6. Why does Langston travel to McKeesport, Pennsylvania?
7. How is Langston, yet again, faced with prejudice?
8. What jobs does Langston have while living with the Reeds?
9. Why does Langston move to Cleveland?
10. How is Langston affected by racism at this point in his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hughes travels to Africa.
Part 1) Describe his trip. Does it turn out as he expected? Why or why not?
Part 2) What is ironic about this trip?
Part 3) Why is color so important to various cultures at this time? Is race still important today? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Mary McLeod Bethune helps Langston Hughes.
Part 1) Who is Mary McLeod Bethune? How does Langston know her?
Part 2) How does she influence Langston's life?
Part 3) How have those people with whom Langston has come into contact influence his life and work?
Essay Topic 3
Hughes does not want to climb the social ladder.
Part 1) Why does he not want to climb the social ladder?
Part 2) Is he trying to help others climb the social ladder? Why or why not?
Part 3) Has Hughes climbed the social ladder, even though it is something he does not want? Explain.
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)