|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what school does Langston's mother enroll him?
2. Why does Langston purchase a new suit and coat and travel to McKeesport, Pennsylvania?
3. One day when Langston and a white friend go to a cafeteria for lunch, how much does his friend's meal cost?
4. What does Hughes do with the books?
5. What does Langston's mother make him do at church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Langston's experience in Paris.
2. What happens when Langston is fourteen?
3. What does Langston do while at Lincoln?
4. How do Langston and his father get into an argument?
5. How is Langston affected by his father's attitude?
6. Why does Langston return to Mexico for the summer?
7. Why does Langston move to Cleveland?
8. What happens when Langston returns to New York?
9. What influences exist in Langston's life at this point?
10. What happens when Langston's mother performs at church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hughes is accepted into Columbia University.
Part 1) Describe his experience at Columbia.
Part 2) Why does he drop out? How does his experience at Columbia play a role in his decision to drop out?
Part 3) Is Langston's college experience worthwhile? Why or why not? What purpose does this time at Columbia serve?
Essay Topic 2
Hughes travels to Spain.
Part 1) Why does he travel to Spain? How is this trip foreshadowed?
Part 2) What does this trip reveal about Hughes' character?
Part 3) How does Hughes' time in Spain affect him and those with whom he comes into contact? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Langston goes on a poetry-reading tour.
Part 1) Describe this tour. Why does he go on this tour?
Part 2) How does he affect those to which he speaks? Why?
Part 3) How is Hughes affected by the people to which he speaks and meets?
Part 4) How does racism continue to play a role in Hughes' life during this time?
This section contains 919 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)