|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Langston's mother send for him?
2. How are his first few months in this city?
3. What has Langston's mother just done?
4. To whom does Mary introduce Hughes?
5. What leads Langston and his father to get into an argument concerning Langston's future?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Langston's experience in Paris.
2. How does Langston become involved in school activities at Central High School?
3. What does Langston do while at Lincoln?
4. What happens when Langston returns to New York?
5. How is Langston affected by racism at this point in his life?
6. How does Langston feel about attending church with the Reeds?
7. How is Langston treated in Africa?
8. Describe Lincoln.
9. How is Langston, yet again, faced with prejudice?
10. How is Langston affected by his father's attitude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Mulatto" appears on Broadway.
Part 1) Why is the subject of this play important to Hughes?
Part 2) What is significant about this play?
Part 3) What does the popularity of this play reveal about the American people at this time?
Essay Topic 2
Hughes' family life is unsettled.
Part 1) Describe his family life. Why is it so unsettled?
Part 2) How do his family dynamics affect him?
Part 3) How does the theme of a division between black and white play into this unsettled family?
Essay Topic 3
Hughes is a sociologist.
Part 1) How do you know this?
Part 2) How does his curiosity about society get him into trouble? Why does it get him into trouble?
Part 3) How does he use this interest in sociology affect his poetry, as well as his popularity as an artist?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)