|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does he do during this activity?
2. What does Langston think about his job as a doorman at a nightclub?
3. What does Hughes do with the books?
4. What does Langston's father say about American blacks and Mexicans?
5. What job does Langston have on his first ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Langston becomes a busboy at the Wardman Park Hotel?
2. What happens when Langston is fourteen?
3. What happens to Langston when he goes to a cafeteria with a white friend?
4. What happens when Langston's mother performs at church?
5. What happens to the movie for which Hughes had been asked to become a writer?
6. What does Langston do, while he is in Chicago?
7. What does Langston do after dropping out of Columbia?
8. Describe Lincoln.
9. How do Langston and his father get into an argument?
10. What does Langston do with the money he earns from the movie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hughes is accepted into Columbia University.
Part 1) Describe his experience at Columbia.
Part 2) Why does he drop out? How does his experience at Columbia play a role in his decision to drop out?
Part 3) Is Langston's college experience worthwhile? Why or why not? What purpose does this time at Columbia serve?
Essay Topic 2
"Mulatto" appears on Broadway.
Part 1) Why is the subject of this play important to Hughes?
Part 2) What is significant about this play?
Part 3) What does the popularity of this play reveal about the American people at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Langston goes on a poetry-reading tour.
Part 1) Describe this tour. Why does he go on this tour?
Part 2) How does he affect those to which he speaks? Why?
Part 3) How is Hughes affected by the people to which he speaks and meets?
Part 4) How does racism continue to play a role in Hughes' life during this time?
This section contains 1,827 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)