|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Langston purchase a new suit and coat and travel to McKeesport, Pennsylvania?
2. Where will he be joining these people?
3. When is Langston reunited with his father for a short while?
4. Who is Langston's only friend at Columbia?
5. After crossing into the country, why is Langston denied a sleeping car on the train?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Langston get the opportunity to travel to Africa? What does he do, as he travels across the ocean?
2. How does Langston end up meeting the editors of The Crisis?
3. How does Langston act on stage at church? What are the reactions of the congregation and his mother?
4. How is Langston treated in Africa?
5. What does Langston realize about his father, when he visits him for a summer?
6. How is Langston affected by his father's attitude?
7. How is Langston's father's mind changed, regarding his collegiate studies?
8. What happens to Langston when he goes to a cafeteria with a white friend?
9. What does Langston do after dropping out of Columbia?
10. Why does Langston travel to McKeesport, Pennsylvania?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Langston is involved in anti-war campaigns.
Part 1) How is he involved in anti-war campaigns? Why is he involved in these campaigns?
Part 2) How does his early interest in social issues foreshadow this?
Part 3) How do his anti-war campaigns affect others? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Hughes is accepted into Columbia University.
Part 1) Describe his experience at Columbia.
Part 2) Why does he drop out? How does his experience at Columbia play a role in his decision to drop out?
Part 3) Is Langston's college experience worthwhile? Why or why not? What purpose does this time at Columbia serve?
Essay Topic 3
Hughes travels to Spain.
Part 1) Why does he travel to Spain? How is this trip foreshadowed?
Part 2) What does this trip reveal about Hughes' character?
Part 3) How does Hughes' time in Spain affect him and those with whom he comes into contact? Why?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)