|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what does he spend his money?
2. In what does Hughes become interested?
3. What does Langston learn about his father?
4. How does Mary make her living?
5. Who introduces Langston to the poetry of Carl Sandburg?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Langston act on stage at church? What are the reactions of the congregation and his mother?
2. What happened to Langston, one day during a revival at the church?
3. What happens when Langston becomes a busboy at the Wardman Park Hotel?
4. What takes place during Langston's senior year?
5. How is Langston's father's mind changed, regarding his collegiate studies?
6. What does Langston realize about his father, when he visits him for a summer?
7. Describe Hughes' family history.
8. What happens when Langston returns to New York?
9. What is Langston's job on the S.S. West Hesseltine?
10. Describe Lincoln.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hughes is a sociologist.
Part 1) How do you know this?
Part 2) How does his curiosity about society get him into trouble? Why does it get him into trouble?
Part 3) How does he use this interest in sociology affect his poetry, as well as his popularity as an artist?
Essay Topic 2
Hughes' family life is unsettled.
Part 1) Describe his family life. Why is it so unsettled?
Part 2) How do his family dynamics affect him?
Part 3) How does the theme of a division between black and white play into this unsettled family?
Essay Topic 3
Hughes says he begins writing poetry because "he could not help himself."
Part 1) Why does he not have this attitude early on in life?
Part 2) What causes this change?
Part 3) How does this type of attitude lead him through his life?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)