|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who introduces Langston to the poetry of Carl Sandburg?
2. What courses does Hughes take?
3. One day when Langston and a white friend go to a cafeteria for lunch, how much does his friend's meal cost?
4. Who does Langston take with him when he meets the editors of The Crisis?
5. Where is Langston Hughes born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Langston act on stage at church? What are the reactions of the congregation and his mother?
2. Describe Lincoln.
3. What does Langston do when he returns to Harlem?
4. Describe Langston's experience in Paris.
5. Describe Hughes' family history.
6. How is Langston's father's mind changed, regarding his collegiate studies?
7. What does Langston do while in Carmel, California?
8. What happens when Langston is fourteen?
9. What does Langston do upon returning to the United States?
10. What does Langston do when he travels to New Orleans?
Essay Topic 1
Langston goes on a poetry-reading tour.
Part 1) Describe this tour. Why does he go on this tour?
Part 2) How does he affect those to which he speaks? Why?
Part 3) How is Hughes affected by the people to which he speaks and meets?
Part 4) How does racism continue to play a role in Hughes' life during this time?
Essay Topic 2
Langston is involved in anti-war campaigns.
Part 1) How is he involved in anti-war campaigns? Why is he involved in these campaigns?
Part 2) How does his early interest in social issues foreshadow this?
Part 3) How do his anti-war campaigns affect others? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Hughes is accepted into Columbia University.
Part 1) Describe his experience at Columbia.
Part 2) Why does he drop out? How does his experience at Columbia play a role in his decision to drop out?
Part 3) Is Langston's college experience worthwhile? Why or why not? What purpose does this time at Columbia serve?
This section contains 1,705 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)