|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Langston treated in Africa?
2. How much money does Langston earn from The Crisis?
3. Who takes Langston in?
4. Why is Langston's summer in Toluca not a bad one?
5. What does Langston learn at this community center?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Langston do, now that he has become interested in social issues?
2. What does Langston do while at Lincoln?
3. What happens when Langston's mother performs at church?
4. How do Langston and his father get into an argument?
5. What takes place during Langston's senior year?
6. In what literature is Langston interested at this time?
7. What happens when Langston returns to New York?
8. What jobs does Langston have while living with the Reeds?
9. How does Langston end up meeting the editors of The Crisis?
10. What happens when Langston becomes a busboy at the Wardman Park Hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Langston travels to Asia.
Part 1) How is he able to travel here? Why does he want to go to Asia?
Part 2) Describe his Asian travels. How is he affected by these travels?
Part 3) How do Langston's travels in Asia influence those with whom he meets? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
Hughes explores many different media.
Part 1) In what media does Hughes experiment? Why does he do this?
Part 2) How do these explorations affect his poetry? Why?
Part 3) How do these explorations affect Hughes' career as an artist? Why are these explorations significant?
Essay Topic 3
A theme found in much of Hughes' work is the optimism of humor.
Part 1) How is this a theme?
Part 2) How is humor optimistic? What does this reveal about Hughes?
Part 3) How might this theme draw readers to Hughes' work?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)