|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Langston do with the money the hotel pays him?
2. Why is Lincoln known as the "black Princeton?"
3. By whom is Langston greatly influenced?
4. When is Langston reunited with his father for a short while?
5. What has Langston's mother just done?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Langston get the opportunity to travel to Africa? What does he do, as he travels across the ocean?
2. What happens when Langston becomes a busboy at the Wardman Park Hotel?
3. What happens after Langston returns to New York City?
4. What influences exist in Langston's life at this point?
5. What does Langston do, now that he has become interested in social issues?
6. How is Langston able to tour the American South for the entirety of the summer?
7. What does Langston do with the money he earns from the movie?
8. What happens when Langston is fourteen?
9. What jobs does Langston have while living with the Reeds?
10. Why does Langston return to Mexico for the summer?
Essay Topic 1
"Mulatto" appears on Broadway.
Part 1) Why is the subject of this play important to Hughes?
Part 2) What is significant about this play?
Part 3) What does the popularity of this play reveal about the American people at this time?
Essay Topic 2
Hughes travels to Africa.
Part 1) Describe his trip. Does it turn out as he expected? Why or why not?
Part 2) What is ironic about this trip?
Part 3) Why is color so important to various cultures at this time? Is race still important today? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Hughes says he begins writing poetry because "he could not help himself."
Part 1) Why does he not have this attitude early on in life?
Part 2) What causes this change?
Part 3) How does this type of attitude lead him through his life?
This section contains 1,921 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)