Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who introduces Langston to the poetry of Carl Sandburg?
2. What courses does Hughes take?
3. One day when Langston and a white friend go to a cafeteria for lunch, how much does his friend's meal cost?
4. Who does Langston take with him when he meets the editors of The Crisis?
5. Where is Langston Hughes born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Langston act on stage at church? What are the reactions of the congregation and his mother?
2. Describe Lincoln.
3. What does Langston do when he returns to Harlem?
4. Describe Langston's experience in Paris.
5. Describe Hughes' family history.
6. How is Langston's father's mind changed, regarding his collegiate studies?
7. What does Langston do while in Carmel, California?
8. What happens when Langston is fourteen?
9. What does Langston do upon returning to the United States?
10. What does Langston do when he travels to New Orleans?
Essay Topic 1
Hughes' family life is unsettled.
Part 1) Describe his family life. Why is it so unsettled?
Part 2) How do his family dynamics affect him?
Part 3) How does the theme of a division between black and white play into this unsettled family?
Essay Topic 2
A theme found in much of Hughes' work is the optimism of humor.
Part 1) How is this a theme?
Part 2) How is humor optimistic? What does this reveal about Hughes?
Part 3) How might this theme draw readers to Hughes' work?
Essay Topic 3
Hughes throws his books over the edge of a ship.
Part 1) Why had a brought the books along? Why does he throw them overboard?
Part 2) What causes this decision? How does this action reflect his view of life and his work?
Part 3) What does this reveal about his beliefs about his trip to Africa?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)