|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Langston think about his job as a doorman at a nightclub?
2. After crossing into the country, why is Langston denied a sleeping car on the train?
3. How much does Langston's meal cost him?
4. What does Langston do that evening?
5. Where do Langston's poems continue to appear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Langston realize about his father, when he visits him for a summer?
2. Describe Lincoln.
3. What happens when Langston becomes a busboy at the Wardman Park Hotel?
4. How does Langston become involved in school activities at Central High School?
5. Why does Langston return to Mexico for the summer?
6. What jobs does Langston have while living with the Reeds?
7. How is Langston, again, affected by racism, on his train ride home from Mexico?
8. How is Langston, yet again, faced with prejudice?
9. How is Langston treated in Africa?
10. What does Langston do while at Lincoln?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hughes says he begins writing poetry because "he could not help himself."
Part 1) Why does he not have this attitude early on in life?
Part 2) What causes this change?
Part 3) How does this type of attitude lead him through his life?
Essay Topic 2
"Mulatto" appears on Broadway.
Part 1) Why is the subject of this play important to Hughes?
Part 2) What is significant about this play?
Part 3) What does the popularity of this play reveal about the American people at this time?
Essay Topic 3
One of this text's themes regards the division between black and white.
Part 1)How is this theme revealed in Langston's family?
Part 2) How does this theme surface throughout the book?
Part 3) How is there irony in this theme when Langston travels to Africa?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)