|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. High school has readied him for college. Does Langston have a chance of going on with his education?
2. What does he do during this activity?
3. After another separation with his stepfather, what does Hughes' mother do?
4. From whom is his mother's grandfather supposedly descended?
5. On what does he spend his money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Langston return to Mexico for the summer?
2. What happens to Langston when he goes to a cafeteria with a white friend?
3. Describe Langston's experience in Paris.
4. In what literature is Langston interested at this time?
5. What influences exist in Langston's life at this point?
6. How does Langston act on stage at church? What are the reactions of the congregation and his mother?
7. How does Langston feel about attending church with the Reeds?
8. What is Langston's job on the S.S. West Hesseltine?
9. How does Langston end up meeting the editors of The Crisis?
10. What takes place during Langston's senior year?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hughes throws his books over the edge of a ship.
Part 1) Why had a brought the books along? Why does he throw them overboard?
Part 2) What causes this decision? How does this action reflect his view of life and his work?
Part 3) What does this reveal about his beliefs about his trip to Africa?
Essay Topic 2
Hughes travels to Spain.
Part 1) Why does he travel to Spain? How is this trip foreshadowed?
Part 2) What does this trip reveal about Hughes' character?
Part 3) How does Hughes' time in Spain affect him and those with whom he comes into contact? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Hughes' work often gets him into trouble.
Part 1) Why does it get him into trouble?
Part 2) Would it get him into trouble today?
Part 3) Do writers and other artists today get themselves into trouble for the same issues Hughes got himself into trouble? Explain.
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)