|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Langston is a junior in high school?
2. What does Langston do when he hears how much his food will cost?
3. Where do Langston's poems continue to appear?
4. Who introduces Langston to the poetry of Carl Sandburg?
5. What has Langston's mother just done?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Langston, yet again, faced with prejudice?
2. Describe Langston's father.
3. What influences exist in Langston's life at this point?
4. How is Langston affected by his father's attitude?
5. What does Langston realize about his father, when he visits him for a summer?
6. How does Langston get the opportunity to travel to Africa? What does he do, as he travels across the ocean?
7. Why do Langston's classmates believe he would be a good poet?
8. What happens when Langston becomes a busboy at the Wardman Park Hotel?
9. Describe Lincoln.
10. What does Langston do, now that he has become interested in social issues?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Langston is involved in anti-war campaigns.
Part 1) How is he involved in anti-war campaigns? Why is he involved in these campaigns?
Part 2) How does his early interest in social issues foreshadow this?
Part 3) How do his anti-war campaigns affect others? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Hughes travels to Africa.
Part 1) Describe his trip. Does it turn out as he expected? Why or why not?
Part 2) What is ironic about this trip?
Part 3) Why is color so important to various cultures at this time? Is race still important today? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Hughes has a strong work ethic.
Part 1) How is this revealed early in his life? How does he come about this work ethic?
Part 2) How does this affect his art?
Part 3) Would he have been as successful without this curiosity and interest in the world? Explain.
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)