Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who introduces Langston to the poetry of Carl Sandburg?
2. What courses does Hughes take?
3. One day when Langston and a white friend go to a cafeteria for lunch, how much does his friend's meal cost?
4. Who does Langston take with him when he meets the editors of The Crisis?
5. Where is Langston Hughes born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Langston act on stage at church? What are the reactions of the congregation and his mother?
2. Describe Lincoln.
3. What does Langston do when he returns to Harlem?
4. Describe Langston's experience in Paris.
5. Describe Hughes' family history.
6. How is Langston's father's mind changed, regarding his collegiate studies?
7. What does Langston do while in Carmel, California?
8. What happens when Langston is fourteen?
9. What does Langston do upon returning to the United States?
10. What does Langston do when he travels to New Orleans?
Essay Topic 1
Hughes' work often gets him into trouble.
Part 1) Why does it get him into trouble?
Part 2) Would it get him into trouble today?
Part 3) Do writers and other artists today get themselves into trouble for the same issues Hughes got himself into trouble? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Hughes has a strong work ethic.
Part 1) How is this revealed early in his life? How does he come about this work ethic?
Part 2) How does this affect his art?
Part 3) Would he have been as successful without this curiosity and interest in the world? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Langston is involved in anti-war campaigns.
Part 1) How is he involved in anti-war campaigns? Why is he involved in these campaigns?
Part 2) How does his early interest in social issues foreshadow this?
Part 3) How do his anti-war campaigns affect others? Why?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)