|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Langston rather read?
2. How does Langston's father try to convince Langston to come to Mexico for the summer?
3. Where is Langston Hughes born?
4. What does Langston think about his job as a doorman at a nightclub?
5. Where does Langston accept a job teaching English?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Lincoln.
2. How is Langston, again, affected by racism, on his train ride home from Mexico?
3. What happened to Langston, one day during a revival at the church?
4. What happens when Langston's mother performs at church?
5. How is Langston, yet again, faced with prejudice?
6. How is Langston affected by racism at this point in his life?
7. How does Langston end up meeting the editors of The Crisis?
8. What influences exist in Langston's life at this point?
9. Describe Langston's father.
10. How is Langston treated in Africa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hughes has an interest in social issues.
Part 1) In what social issues, specifically, is Hughes interested?
Part 2) How does this interest shape his work and career?
Part 3) How does his work in both the United States and abroad affect those nations?
Essay Topic 2
One of this text's themes regards the division between black and white.
Part 1)How is this theme revealed in Langston's family?
Part 2) How does this theme surface throughout the book?
Part 3) How is there irony in this theme when Langston travels to Africa?
Essay Topic 3
Hughes' work often gets him into trouble.
Part 1) Why does it get him into trouble?
Part 2) Would it get him into trouble today?
Part 3) Do writers and other artists today get themselves into trouble for the same issues Hughes got himself into trouble? Explain.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)