|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Langston's father approach him one day and say?
2. Who does Langston tell that his sickness derives from a hatred of his father?
3. Who does Langston's grandmother take Langston to hear at the university?
4. Does Langston have any interest in poetry?
5. Of what is Langston an active member?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Langston reunited with his father?
2. What influences exist in Langston's life at this point?
3. Why does Langston move to Cleveland?
4. Why does Langston return to Mexico for the summer?
5. Describe Langston's experience in Paris.
6. What happened to Langston, one day during a revival at the church?
7. Describe Hughes' family history.
8. What does Langston do, now that he has become interested in social issues?
9. What happens to Langston when he goes to a cafeteria with a white friend?
10. How is Langston, yet again, faced with prejudice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Langston travels to Asia.
Part 1) How is he able to travel here? Why does he want to go to Asia?
Part 2) Describe his Asian travels. How is he affected by these travels?
Part 3) How do Langston's travels in Asia influence those with whom he meets? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
One of this text's themes regards the division between black and white.
Part 1)How is this theme revealed in Langston's family?
Part 2) How does this theme surface throughout the book?
Part 3) How is there irony in this theme when Langston travels to Africa?
Essay Topic 3
Hughes has an interest in social issues.
Part 1) In what social issues, specifically, is Hughes interested?
Part 2) How does this interest shape his work and career?
Part 3) How does his work in both the United States and abroad affect those nations?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)