|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Lincoln?
2. In what does Hughes become interested?
3. Why is Hughes severely hazed when he first attends Lincoln?
4. What does Langston's father say about American blacks and Mexicans?
5. What does Langston do on the train ride to Mexico?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hughes' poetry get him into trouble?
2. How does Langston become involved in school activities at Central High School?
3. Describe Hughes' family history.
4. What happens to Langston when he goes to a cafeteria with a white friend?
5. How is Langston able to tour the American South for the entirety of the summer?
6. What does Langston do when he returns to Harlem?
7. What does Langston do with a four hundred dollar prize for "Not Without Laughter?"
8. What happens to the movie for which Hughes had been asked to become a writer?
9. What does Langston do, while he is in Chicago?
10. What happens when Langston is fourteen?
Essay Topic 1
Hughes travels to Africa.
Part 1) Describe his trip. Does it turn out as he expected? Why or why not?
Part 2) What is ironic about this trip?
Part 3) Why is color so important to various cultures at this time? Is race still important today? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Langston travels to Asia.
Part 1) How is he able to travel here? Why does he want to go to Asia?
Part 2) Describe his Asian travels. How is he affected by these travels?
Part 3) How do Langston's travels in Asia influence those with whom he meets? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 3
Hughes explores many different media.
Part 1) In what media does Hughes experiment? Why does he do this?
Part 2) How do these explorations affect his poetry? Why?
Part 3) How do these explorations affect Hughes' career as an artist? Why are these explorations significant?
This section contains 1,856 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)