Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who introduces Langston to the poetry of Carl Sandburg?
2. What courses does Hughes take?
3. One day when Langston and a white friend go to a cafeteria for lunch, how much does his friend's meal cost?
4. Who does Langston take with him when he meets the editors of The Crisis?
5. Where is Langston Hughes born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Langston act on stage at church? What are the reactions of the congregation and his mother?
2. Describe Lincoln.
3. What does Langston do when he returns to Harlem?
4. Describe Langston's experience in Paris.
5. Describe Hughes' family history.
6. How is Langston's father's mind changed, regarding his collegiate studies?
7. What does Langston do while in Carmel, California?
8. What happens when Langston is fourteen?
9. What does Langston do upon returning to the United States?
10. What does Langston do when he travels to New Orleans?
Essay Topic 1
Langston travels to Asia.
Part 1) How is he able to travel here? Why does he want to go to Asia?
Part 2) Describe his Asian travels. How is he affected by these travels?
Part 3) How do Langston's travels in Asia influence those with whom he meets? Use the text to support your response.
Essay Topic 2
"Mulatto" appears on Broadway.
Part 1) Why is the subject of this play important to Hughes?
Part 2) What is significant about this play?
Part 3) What does the popularity of this play reveal about the American people at this time?
Essay Topic 3
Hughes travels to Africa.
Part 1) Describe his trip. Does it turn out as he expected? Why or why not?
Part 2) What is ironic about this trip?
Part 3) Why is color so important to various cultures at this time? Is race still important today? Explain.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)