|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Langston tour for the entirety of the summer?
(a) The American West.
(b) The American South.
(d) The American Southwest.
2. How does Fisk College reward Hughes for reading his poems at their college?
(a) With a thank you dinner.
(b) With an article in the local paper.
(c) In a large fee.
(d) With free college tuition.
3. What does Langston think about his father?
(a) He wonders what he is up to.
(b) He never wants to see him again.
(c) He should write to him soon.
(d) He misses him.
4. What does this group of individuals decide to create?
(a) A black academy called the Renaissance Academy.
(b) A black magazine of the arts called Fire.
(c) A black theater called the Apollo Theatre.
(d) A black university called New Negro College.
5. In New Orleans, what job does Hughes take?
(a) As a mess boy on a freighter traveling to Cuba.
(b) A job as a mess boy on a freighter traveling to Havana.
(c) As a petty officer on a freighter to Havana.
(d) A job as a petty officer on a freighter traveling to Cuba.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Hughes' plays performed?
2. How is "The Big Sea" received by many critics?
3. With what is Hughes' poetry often infused?
4. Why does Hughes ask for a loan from Knopf, his publisher?
5. How do Langston's plays become more socially relevant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Langston do after his first year at Lincoln?
2. Why does Hughes' poetry get him into trouble?
3. Describe Langston's poetry-reading tour.
4. How is Langston able to tour the American South for the entirety of the summer?
5. Why does Langston write the poem "Tomorrow's Seed."
6. What does Langston do when he travels to New Orleans?
7. What poetry does Hughes write during this summer?
8. What does Langston do upon returning to the United States?
9. What does Langston do with the money he earns from the movie?
10. What does Langston do with a four hundred dollar prize for "Not Without Laughter?"
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)