|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are his readings canceled?
(a) No one wants to hear him speak.
(b) Due to public outbursts.
(c) There is no place large enough hold the crowds that want to meet him.
(d) They are afraid of him.
2. Who does Langston meet in Ashkhabad?
(a) A dancer who becomes his girlfriend.
(b) A reporter named Allan Cumming.
(c) An actress who is also a writer.
(d) A reporter named Arthur Koestler.
3. With what difficult position is Langston posed?
(a) Writing material he has no interest in writing.
(b) Not having time to write all that he wishes to write.
(c) Wanting to write but needing to make money.
(d) Teaching in a school in which he does not want to be.
4. How is "The Big Sea" received by many critics?
(a) Only slightly.
(d) Not at all.
5. Does Langston read his poetry at this luncheon?
(b) Some of it.
(c) Just one poem.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does this group of individuals decide to create?
2. The result of Hughes' time spent writing in this place is what?
3. What has this place become?
4. What does Hughes purchase?
5. About what is Hughes to report?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jesse B. Simple?
2. What does Aimie Semple McPherson say about Langston?
3. Why does Hughes travel to Spain?
4. How is Langston able to tour the American South for the entirety of the summer?
5. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
6. Describe Langston's poetry-reading tour.
7. Why does Hughes' poetry get him into trouble?
8. What does Langston do when he returns to Harlem?
9. What is significant about "Don't You Want to Be Free?"
10. What difficulties exist for Langston after graduation?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)