|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hughes do before leaving for Paris?
(a) He fills out his will.
(b) He says goodbye to his familly.
(c) He visits the South one last time.
(d) He writes an article about preparing to leave.
2. How does Hughes become involved with anti-war campaigns?
(a) Writing and handing out pamphlets to the public.
(b) Speaking to people at rallies.
(c) Advertisements for the radio.
(d) Writing advertisements for billboards.
3. In how many books does Simple appear?
4. About what is Hughes to report?
(a) African Americans and their role in World War II.
(b) The roles of Americcan soldiers in World War II.
(c) African Americans and their role in the war in Spain.
(d) The roles of American soldiers in the war in Spain.
5. Does Langston read his poetry at this luncheon?
(a) Just one poem.
(b) Some of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Langston continue to submit plays?
2. To whom is "Tomorrow's Seed" dedicated?
3. What does Mrs. Bethune ask Langston to do for her students?
4. Where does Langston stay the following summer in order to complete his first novel?
5. Who gives Langston a thousand dollar grant?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Langston's poetry-reading tour.
2. Why does Langston write the poem "Tomorrow's Seed."
3. Who is Jesse B. Simple?
4. What does Langston do, while he is in Chicago?
5. What does Langston do when he returns to Harlem?
6. Where do Langston and his mother move? How is this beneficial?
7. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
8. What does Langston do after his first year at Lincoln?
9. What happens to the movie for which Hughes had been asked to become a writer?
10. Why does Hughes travel to Spain?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)