|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Fire is finally published at the end of the summer, how is it received?
(a) With hostile reviews.
(b) With negative reviews.
(c) With mixed reviews.
(d) With positive reviews.
2. After his first year at Lincoln, where does Hughes rent a room for the summer?
(a) The Bronx.
3. To where do Langston and his mother move back?
(d) New York.
4. With what is Hughes' poetry often infused?
(a) Anti-American propaganda.
(b) African American propaganda.
(c) Political or religious propaganda.
(d) Communist propaganda.
5. Who is Aimie Semple McPherson?
(a) A housewife.
(b) An evangelist.
(c) A politician.
(d) A Communist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Langston receive for "Not Without Laughter?"
2. To whom is "Tomorrow's Seed" dedicated?
3. Who gives Langston a thousand dollar grant?
4. When he returned to Harlem in January of 1938, what does Langston do?
5. Why are his readings canceled?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aimie Semple McPherson say about Langston?
2. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
3. What does Langston do with a four hundred dollar prize for "Not Without Laughter?"
4. What happens to the movie for which Hughes had been asked to become a writer?
5. What does Langston do when he returns to Harlem?
6. What does Langston do when he travels to New Orleans?
7. What does Langston do, while he is in Chicago?
8. What is significant about "Don't You Want to Be Free?"
9. What does Langston do with the money he earns from the movie?
10. Describe Langston's poetry-reading tour.
This section contains 1,178 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)