|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is "The Big Sea" received by many critics?
(b) Not at all.
(d) Only slightly.
2. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
(a) He is very influential in Langston's life.
(b) He is a simple man, like many people.
(c) His poem is the most published of all African American writings.
(d) It is the longest running and perhaps greatest influence on the black community.
3. Why do Lucas and Hughes spend most of their evenings as guests in black households?
(a) They do not feel comfortable staying in hotels.
(b) They are often unwelcome in hotels.
(c) They are welcomed by the communities they visit.
(d) They do not trust white people.
4. What does his mother receive while they are there?
(a) Good care at a reasonable price from a black physician.
(b) Cancer treatments.
(c) News about her sister.
(d) A letter from his stepfather.
5. Where does Hughes live in Barcelona?
(a) Near the front line.
(b) Far from the fighting.
(c) In a resort.
(d) In a tiny, quiet village.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the founder of Bethune-Cookman?
2. Who is Jesse B. Simple?
3. How does Fisk College reward Hughes for reading his poems at their college?
4. During this time he meets with many important literary figures of what movement?
5. In how many books does Simple appear?
Short Essay Questions
1. What difficulties exist for Langston after graduation?
2. What happens after Langston returns to New York City?
3. What does Langston do when he travels to New Orleans?
4. What does Langston do when he returns to Harlem?
5. What does Langston do with the money he earns from the movie?
6. What does Langston do with a four hundred dollar prize for "Not Without Laughter?"
7. What is significant about "Don't You Want to Be Free?"
8. What does Langston do upon returning to the United States?
9. What poetry does Hughes write during this summer?
10. What happens to the movie for which Hughes had been asked to become a writer?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)