|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of Hughes' works is published during this summer?
(a) Prodigal Son and Mulatto.
(b) A House in Taos and Not Without Laughter.
(c) Prodigal Son and Not Without Laughter.
(d) Mulatto and A House in Taos.
2. Why does Hughes ask for a loan from Knopf, his publisher?
(a) For the completion of his autobiography.
(b) For the completion of his poems about Spain.
(c) For the completion of a book of short stories.
(d) For the completion of a book of poems.
3. For how long does "Don't You Want to Be Free?" run?
(a) Two hundred and twenty-five consecutive performances.
(b) One hundred and thirty-five consecutive performances.
(c) Nintey-five consecutive performances.
(d) One hundred and fifteen consecutive performances.
4. What happens to the musical revue for which Langston works as a song lyricist?
(a) It is never seen.
(b) It has a small amount of success.
(c) It closes after only one performance.
(d) It is very successful.
5. Who is Aimie Semple McPherson?
(a) A politician.
(b) A Communist.
(c) An evangelist.
(d) A housewife.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what is Hughes' poetry often infused?
2. In the spring of 1937 for whom does Hughes travel to Spain as a correspondent?
3. About what is Hughes to report?
4. Why does Langston become depressed?
5. In New Orleans, what job does Hughes take?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about "Don't You Want to Be Free?"
2. What does Langston do while in Carmel, California?
3. Describe Langston's poetry-reading tour.
4. How is Langston able to tour the American South for the entirety of the summer?
5. What does Langston do, while he is in Chicago?
6. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
7. What does Langston do when he returns to Harlem?
8. What happens to the movie for which Hughes had been asked to become a writer?
9. What difficulties exist for Langston after graduation?
10. Who is Jesse B. Simple?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)