|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does this trip south take Langston?
(a) To colleges, high schools, and local meeting places.
(b) To community centers and high schools.
(c) To famous theaters.
(d) To unversities and concert halls.
2. Where does Hughes live in Barcelona?
(a) Near the front line.
(b) Far from the fighting.
(c) In a resort.
(d) In a tiny, quiet village.
3. To where do Langston and his mother move back?
(d) New York.
4. Who is Jesse B. Simple?
(a) Langston's best friend.
(b) A member of the Black Renaissance that Langston had met.
(c) A character in one of Langston's poems.
(d) One of Langston's characters.
5. Where does Langston continue to submit plays?
(c) The Karamu.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Langston stay the following summer in order to complete his first novel?
2. Why do Lucas and Hughes spend most of their evenings as guests in black households?
3. Why are Hughes and the crew sent to Odessa?
4. How do Langston's plays become more socially relevant?
5. Which of Hughes' works is published during this summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hughes' poetry get him into trouble?
2. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
3. What is significant about "Don't You Want to Be Free?"
4. What poetry does Hughes write during this summer?
5. Why does Langston write the poem "Tomorrow's Seed."
6. Who is Jesse B. Simple?
7. What does Aimie Semple McPherson say about Langston?
8. Describe Langston's poetry-reading tour.
9. How is Langston able to tour the American South for the entirety of the summer?
10. What does Langston do when he returns to Harlem?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)