|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Langston decide to use his pay from the film?
(a) To travel to Paris.
(b) To travel to Russia.
(c) To visit his friends in Cleveland.
(d) To travel through Asia.
2. When Fire is finally published at the end of the summer, how is it received?
(a) With positive reviews.
(b) With mixed reviews.
(c) With negative reviews.
(d) With hostile reviews.
3. After his first year at Lincoln, where does Hughes rent a room for the summer?
(b) The Bronx.
4. Why does Langston become depressed?
(a) Racism he witnesses even in the midst of disaster.
(b) He is still treated unequally.
(c) He is treated worse in the south than in the north.
(d) Racism is stronger now than a few years ago.
5. Which of Hughes' works is published during this summer?
(a) Prodigal Son and Mulatto.
(b) Mulatto and A House in Taos.
(c) Prodigal Son and Not Without Laughter.
(d) A House in Taos and Not Without Laughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Langston meet in Ashkhabad?
2. Who gives Langston a thousand dollar grant?
3. When do Langston and his friend set off for the South?
4. In the spring of 1937 for whom does Hughes travel to Spain as a correspondent?
5. In how many books does Simple appear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Langston and his mother move? How is this beneficial?
2. Why does Hughes travel to Spain?
3. Describe Langston's poetry-reading tour.
4. What does Langston do when he travels to New Orleans?
5. What poetry does Hughes write during this summer?
6. What is significant about "Don't You Want to Be Free?"
7. What does Langston do upon returning to the United States?
8. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
9. Why does Langston write the poem "Tomorrow's Seed."
10. What does Langston do, while he is in Chicago?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)