|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The result of Hughes' time spent writing in this place is what?
(a) A play.
(b) A book of short stories.
(c) A book of poetry.
(d) An autobiography.
2. When does Langston return to the United States?
(a) A week after the Crash.
(b) Before the Great Depression.
(c) In the midst of the Great Depression.
(d) After the Great Depression.
3. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
(a) It is the longest running and perhaps greatest influence on the black community.
(b) He is very influential in Langston's life.
(c) He is a simple man, like many people.
(d) His poem is the most published of all African American writings.
4. Why does Hughes ask for a loan from Knopf, his publisher?
(a) For the completion of a book of poems.
(b) For the completion of his autobiography.
(c) For the completion of a book of short stories.
(d) For the completion of his poems about Spain.
5. Why do Lucas and Hughes spend most of their evenings as guests in black households?
(a) They do not feel comfortable staying in hotels.
(b) They are welcomed by the communities they visit.
(c) They are often unwelcome in hotels.
(d) They do not trust white people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Hughes' plays performed?
2. Why are Hughes and the crew sent to Odessa?
3. Who does Langston meet in Ashkhabad?
4. Where does the incident occur where the colored teachers of a school were told they'd be fired if Hughes, an assumed Communist, read his poetry?
5. To whom is "Tomorrow's Seed" dedicated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
2. What does Langston do when he travels to New Orleans?
3. What happens to the movie for which Hughes had been asked to become a writer?
4. How is Langston able to tour the American South for the entirety of the summer?
5. Describe Langston's poetry-reading tour.
6. Why does Hughes' poetry get him into trouble?
7. Where do Langston and his mother move? How is this beneficial?
8. Why does Langston write the poem "Tomorrow's Seed."
9. What happens after Langston returns to New York City?
10. What does Langston do when he returns to Harlem?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)