|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hughes do when he returns to Moscow?
(a) He meets with another movie producer to discuss creating a film about his experiences in Russia.
(b) He writes and sells articles about his travels in Russia.
(c) He learns Russian.
(d) He waits for his permit to leave.
2. Is Langston interested in teaching after he has graduated college?
(a) A little.
(b) At first.
3. What does his mother receive while they are there?
(a) News about her sister.
(b) Cancer treatments.
(c) Good care at a reasonable price from a black physician.
(d) A letter from his stepfather.
4. Why are Hughes and the crew sent to Odessa?
(a) In order to film some footage of a southern town.
(b) In order to film some cotton-picking scenes.
(c) In order to film shots that resemble the Russian countryside.
(d) In order to film shots that show villagers working in the fields.
5. About what is Hughes to report?
(a) The roles of American soldiers in the war in Spain.
(b) The roles of Americcan soldiers in World War II.
(c) African Americans and their role in the war in Spain.
(d) African Americans and their role in World War II.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives Langston a thousand dollar grant?
2. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
3. To whom is "Tomorrow's Seed" dedicated?
4. When does Langston return to the United States?
5. What do Langston and Zell Ingram, a friend from Cleveland, decide to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Langston do when he travels to New Orleans?
2. What is significant about "Don't You Want to Be Free?"
3. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
4. Who is Jesse B. Simple?
5. What happens to the movie for which Hughes had been asked to become a writer?
6. Why does Hughes' poetry get him into trouble?
7. Describe Langston's poetry-reading tour.
8. What does Langston do while in Carmel, California?
9. What happens after Langston returns to New York City?
10. What does Langston do with the money he earns from the movie?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)