|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When he returned to Harlem in January of 1938, what does Langston do?
(a) He runs the Harlem Suitcase Theater.
(b) He helps build a theater for blacks called the Harlem Suitcase Theater.
(c) He protests the war.
(d) He writes a play.
2. When does the first Simple story appear in the Chicago Defender?
3. What happens to the musical revue for which Langston works as a song lyricist?
(a) It has a small amount of success.
(b) It closes after only one performance.
(c) It is very successful.
(d) It is never seen.
4. Why are Hughes and the crew sent to Odessa?
(a) In order to film shots that resemble the Russian countryside.
(b) In order to film some footage of a southern town.
(c) In order to film shots that show villagers working in the fields.
(d) In order to film some cotton-picking scenes.
5. With what difficult position is Langston posed?
(a) Wanting to write but needing to make money.
(b) Writing material he has no interest in writing.
(c) Teaching in a school in which he does not want to be.
(d) Not having time to write all that he wishes to write.
Short Answer Questions
1. After his first year at Lincoln, where does Hughes rent a room for the summer?
2. What has happened to Barcelona, right before Langston arrives?
3. While in Baton Rouge, what does Langston visit?
4. What does his mother receive while they are there?
5. Where does Langston stay the following summer in order to complete his first novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Langston do, while he is in Chicago?
2. Why does Hughes' poetry get him into trouble?
3. What does Langston do after his first year at Lincoln?
4. What does Langston do with the money he earns from the movie?
5. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
6. What does Langston do while in Carmel, California?
7. Describe Langston's poetry-reading tour.
8. Why does Hughes travel to Spain?
9. What does Langston do upon returning to the United States?
10. What does Langston do with a four hundred dollar prize for "Not Without Laughter?"
This section contains 1,232 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)