|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hughes purchase?
(a) A plane.
(b) A van.
(c) A Ford.
(d) A bus.
2. In the spring of 1937 for whom does Hughes travel to Spain as a correspondent?
(a) The Baltimore, a Baltimore based publication.
(b) The Crisis, a New York based publication.
(c) The African American, a Baltimore based publication.
(d) Time, a New York based publication.
3. How does Hughes become involved with anti-war campaigns?
(a) Writing advertisements for billboards.
(b) Speaking to people at rallies.
(c) Advertisements for the radio.
(d) Writing and handing out pamphlets to the public.
4. What does Hughes do when he returns to Moscow?
(a) He writes and sells articles about his travels in Russia.
(b) He learns Russian.
(c) He meets with another movie producer to discuss creating a film about his experiences in Russia.
(d) He waits for his permit to leave.
5. Why are his readings canceled?
(a) They are afraid of him.
(b) There is no place large enough hold the crowds that want to meet him.
(c) No one wants to hear him speak.
(d) Due to public outbursts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Langston say he met a man named Simple?
2. To whom is "Tomorrow's Seed" dedicated?
3. Why does Hughes ask for a loan from Knopf, his publisher?
4. How does this person feel about Langston's poem, "Goodbye Christ?"
5. Which of Hughes' works is published during this summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Langston do upon returning to the United States?
2. Describe Langston's poetry-reading tour.
3. What does Langston do while in Carmel, California?
4. What is significant about "Don't You Want to Be Free?"
5. What does Langston do with the money he earns from the movie?
6. Why does Hughes' poetry get him into trouble?
7. What poetry does Hughes write during this summer?
8. What difficulties exist for Langston after graduation?
9. Why does Hughes travel to Spain?
10. What happens to the movie for which Hughes had been asked to become a writer?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)