|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Noel Sullivan, an old friend of Hughes', put him up?
(a) In a townhouse in San Francisco.
(b) In a villa in Spain.
(c) In a cottage in Carmel, California.
(d) In an apartment in Manhattan.
2. In how many books does Simple appear?
3. What happens to the musical revue for which Langston works as a song lyricist?
(a) It closes after only one performance.
(b) It has a small amount of success.
(c) It is very successful.
(d) It is never seen.
4. Why does Langston become depressed?
(a) Racism is stronger now than a few years ago.
(b) He is treated worse in the south than in the north.
(c) Racism he witnesses even in the midst of disaster.
(d) He is still treated unequally.
5. The result of Hughes' time spent writing in this place is what?
(a) A book of short stories.
(b) A play.
(c) A book of poetry.
(d) An autobiography.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hughes do when he returns to Moscow?
2. Who gives Langston a thousand dollar grant?
3. What does Hughes purchase?
4. Where does Langston stay the following summer in order to complete his first novel?
5. Who is Jesse B. Simple?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hughes' poetry get him into trouble?
2. Where do Langston and his mother move? How is this beneficial?
3. What happens after Langston returns to New York City?
4. What does Langston do with the money he earns from the movie?
5. Why does Hughes travel to Spain?
6. What does Langston do after his first year at Lincoln?
7. What does Langston do while in Carmel, California?
8. What does Langston do upon returning to the United States?
9. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
10. What poetry does Hughes write during this summer?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)