|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the spring of 1937 for whom does Hughes travel to Spain as a correspondent?
(a) The Crisis, a New York based publication.
(b) The Baltimore, a Baltimore based publication.
(c) Time, a New York based publication.
(d) The African American, a Baltimore based publication.
2. When Fire is finally published at the end of the summer, how is it received?
(a) With negative reviews.
(b) With positive reviews.
(c) With hostile reviews.
(d) With mixed reviews.
3. What has happened to Barcelona, right before Langston arrives?
(a) It is destroyed by a nuclear bomb.
(b) It has become a territory of Nazi Germany.
(c) It has been bombed by the the British.
(d) It is bombed by German and Italian aircraft.
4. What does Langston think about his father?
(a) He misses him.
(b) He should write to him soon.
(c) He wonders what he is up to.
(d) He never wants to see him again.
5. What does Hughes do when he returns to Moscow?
(a) He meets with another movie producer to discuss creating a film about his experiences in Russia.
(b) He learns Russian.
(c) He waits for his permit to leave.
(d) He writes and sells articles about his travels in Russia.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hughes find the script, which was written by a Russian?
2. With what difficult position is Langston posed?
3. Where does Langston stay the following summer in order to complete his first novel?
4. What is the name of the theater in Los Angeles?
5. What does Langston receive for "Not Without Laughter?"
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Aimie Semple McPherson say about Langston?
2. Where do Langston and his mother move? How is this beneficial?
3. Why does Hughes' poetry get him into trouble?
4. Who is Jesse B. Simple?
5. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
6. Why does Langston write the poem "Tomorrow's Seed."
7. Describe Langston's poetry-reading tour.
8. What poetry does Hughes write during this summer?
9. What happens to the movie for which Hughes had been asked to become a writer?
10. What does Langston do, while he is in Chicago?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)