|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In New Orleans, what job does Hughes take?
(a) As a mess boy on a freighter traveling to Cuba.
(b) As a petty officer on a freighter to Havana.
(c) A job as a mess boy on a freighter traveling to Havana.
(d) A job as a petty officer on a freighter traveling to Cuba.
2. With what difficult position is Langston posed?
(a) Writing material he has no interest in writing.
(b) Wanting to write but needing to make money.
(c) Teaching in a school in which he does not want to be.
(d) Not having time to write all that he wishes to write.
3. What does Hughes do before leaving for Paris?
(a) He says goodbye to his familly.
(b) He writes an article about preparing to leave.
(c) He visits the South one last time.
(d) He fills out his will.
4. How does Fisk College reward Hughes for reading his poems at their college?
(a) With an article in the local paper.
(b) With a thank you dinner.
(c) With free college tuition.
(d) In a large fee.
5. In the spring of 1937 for whom does Hughes travel to Spain as a correspondent?
(a) The Baltimore, a Baltimore based publication.
(b) Time, a New York based publication.
(c) The African American, a Baltimore based publication.
(d) The Crisis, a New York based publication.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Hughes' works is published during this summer?
2. Where does this trip south take Langston?
3. Where does Hughes live in Barcelona?
4. Why are his readings canceled?
5. When do Langston and his friend set off for the South?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)