|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hughes live in Barcelona?
(a) In a resort.
(b) In a tiny, quiet village.
(c) Near the front line.
(d) Far from the fighting.
2. What does his mother receive while they are there?
(a) News about her sister.
(b) Good care at a reasonable price from a black physician.
(c) Cancer treatments.
(d) A letter from his stepfather.
3. Why do Lucas and Hughes spend most of their evenings as guests in black households?
(a) They do not feel comfortable staying in hotels.
(b) They do not trust white people.
(c) They are often unwelcome in hotels.
(d) They are welcomed by the communities they visit.
4. To where do Langston and his mother move back?
(a) New York.
5. When does Langston return to the United States?
(a) A week after the Crash.
(b) In the midst of the Great Depression.
(c) Before the Great Depression.
(d) After the Great Depression.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the spring of 1937 for whom does Hughes travel to Spain as a correspondent?
2. Where does the incident occur where the colored teachers of a school were told they'd be fired if Hughes, an assumed Communist, read his poetry?
3. For how long does "Don't You Want to Be Free?" run?
4. Is Langston interested in teaching after he has graduated college?
5. What happens when Hughes wakes the next morning?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)