|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much success does Langston have with these submissions?
2. What has happened to Barcelona, right before Langston arrives?
(a) It has been bombed by the the British.
(b) It is bombed by German and Italian aircraft.
(c) It is destroyed by a nuclear bomb.
(d) It has become a territory of Nazi Germany.
3. With what difficult position is Langston posed?
(a) Teaching in a school in which he does not want to be.
(b) Wanting to write but needing to make money.
(c) Not having time to write all that he wishes to write.
(d) Writing material he has no interest in writing.
4. Does Langston read his poetry at this luncheon?
(a) Some of it.
(c) Just one poem.
5. Where does Langston tour for the entirety of the summer?
(a) The American South.
(b) The American Southwest.
(c) The American West.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he returned to Harlem in January of 1938, what does Langston do?
2. What happens to the musical revue for which Langston works as a song lyricist?
3. With what is Hughes' poetry often infused?
4. Where does Langston stay the following summer in order to complete his first novel?
5. To whom is "Tomorrow's Seed" dedicated?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Jesse B. Simple?
2. What does Langston do with the money he earns from the movie?
3. What does Langston do after his first year at Lincoln?
4. How is Langston able to tour the American South for the entirety of the summer?
5. What poetry does Hughes write during this summer?
6. What difficulties exist for Langston after graduation?
7. What happens after Langston returns to New York City?
8. What does Langston do when he travels to New Orleans?
9. What does Langston do with a four hundred dollar prize for "Not Without Laughter?"
10. What does Aimie Semple McPherson say about Langston?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)