|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After his first year at Lincoln, where does Hughes rent a room for the summer?
(d) The Bronx.
2. What does Hughes do when he returns to Moscow?
(a) He writes and sells articles about his travels in Russia.
(b) He learns Russian.
(c) He waits for his permit to leave.
(d) He meets with another movie producer to discuss creating a film about his experiences in Russia.
3. Where does Langston say he met a man named Simple?
(a) In a Harlem bar.
(b) In a New York restaurant.
(c) In a Cleveland center.
(d) In a Detroit club.
4. Why does Langston become depressed?
(a) Racism is stronger now than a few years ago.
(b) He is still treated unequally.
(c) Racism he witnesses even in the midst of disaster.
(d) He is treated worse in the south than in the north.
5. Into what language are Langston's poems translated?
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Langston return to the United States?
2. For how long does "Don't You Want to Be Free?" run?
3. What does this group of individuals decide to create?
4. What is the name of the theater in Los Angeles?
5. How does Fisk College reward Hughes for reading his poems at their college?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Langston write the poem "Tomorrow's Seed."
2. Why does Hughes travel to Spain?
3. What does Langston do while in Carmel, California?
4. What does Langston do upon returning to the United States?
5. What happens after Langston returns to New York City?
6. What does Langston do when he returns to Harlem?
7. What does Aimie Semple McPherson say about Langston?
8. Describe Langston's poetry-reading tour.
9. Where do Langston and his mother move? How is this beneficial?
10. What does Langston do with the money he earns from the movie?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)