|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Langston learn about his father?
(a) He is an artistic, intelligent man.
(b) He is a stern, quiet man.
(c) He is a caring, loving man.
(d) He is a cold man, who only cares about making money.
2. What happens when, in January, 1921, "A Negro Speaks of Rivers" is published in The Crisis?
(a) He is asked to come to Lincoln on a partial scholarship.
(b) After seeing his son's publishing success, Mr. Hughes agreed to send his son to Columbia University in New York.
(c) He is accepted into Columbia University with a full-ride.
(d) After seeing her son's publishing success, Langston's mother sends him to Lincoln for college.
3. How does Langston pass the time in Mexico?
(a) By reading and writing.
(b) By reading, improving his Spanish, and riding horses.
(c) By working on his autobiography.
(d) By playing soccer with other boys in town.
4. How much does Langston's meal cost him?
(a) Eight dollars and sixty-five cents.
(b) Forty-five cents.
(c) Five dollars.
(d) Two dollars.
5. What does Auntie Reed insist that Langston do?
(a) Go to church every Sunday.
(b) Babysit her children.
(c) Clean the house every Saturday.
(d) Read every night.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Langston do on the train ride to Mexico?
2. Who does Langston tell that his sickness derives from a hatred of his father?
3. What does Langston's mother write?
4. Of what is Langston an active member?
5. Why does Langston move to Cleveland?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Langston reunited with his father?
2. What does Langston realize about his father, when he visits him for a summer?
3. How is Langston's father's mind changed, regarding his collegiate studies?
4. How do Langston and his father get into an argument?
5. What takes place during Langston's senior year?
6. Why does Langston travel to McKeesport, Pennsylvania?
7. How does Langston get the opportunity to travel to Africa? What does he do, as he travels across the ocean?
8. What happens when Langston's mother performs at church?
9. How does Langston act on stage at church? What are the reactions of the congregation and his mother?
10. What is Langston's job on the S.S. West Hesseltine?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)