|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Auntie Reed insist that Langston do?
(a) Go to church every Sunday.
(b) Read every night.
(c) Babysit her children.
(d) Clean the house every Saturday.
2. Who is Hughes' only friend in Africa?
(a) A twenty-year-old sailor.
(b) An eighteen-year-old white woman.
(c) A sixteen-year-old mulatto boy.
(d) An old African man.
3. How does Langston's father try to convince Langston to come to Mexico for the summer?
(a) He offers to pay his way.
(b) He hints at getting full custody.
(c) He will buy him a new car.
(d) He hints at an opportunity to pursue a college education.
4. How much does Langston's meal cost him?
(a) Eight dollars and sixty-five cents.
(b) Forty-five cents.
(c) Five dollars.
(d) Two dollars.
5. What would Langston rather read?
(b) Historical fiction.
(d) Science fiction.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Mary introduce Hughes?
2. Describe Hughes' family history.
3. What has Langston's mother just done?
4. From whom is his mother's grandfather supposedly descended?
5. Who introduces Langston to the poetry of Carl Sandburg?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Langston's father's mind changed, regarding his collegiate studies?
2. Describe Lincoln.
3. What does Langston do while at Lincoln?
4. Describe Langston's father.
5. In what literature is Langston interested at this time?
6. How does Langston get the opportunity to travel to Africa? What does he do, as he travels across the ocean?
7. Describe Langston's experience in Paris.
8. How is Langston affected by racism at this point in his life?
9. What does Langston do after dropping out of Columbia?
10. How does Langston act on stage at church? What are the reactions of the congregation and his mother?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)