|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Langston not like his middle-class relatives?
(a) They do not want him to visit.
(b) They are snobby and indifferent to black suffering.
(c) They are rude and disrespectful.
(d) They do not care for his mother.
2. Who are among Langston's classmates?
(a) Etheridge Knight and Cab Calloway.
(b) Thurgood Marshall and Alice Walker.
(c) Alice Walker and Etheridge Knight.
(d) Cab Calloway and Thurgood Marshall.
3. At what age does Langston Hughes begin to consider himself a poet?
4. Describe Hughes' family history.
5. What does Auntie Reed insist that Langston do?
(a) Clean the house every Saturday.
(b) Read every night.
(c) Babysit her children.
(d) Go to church every Sunday.
Short Answer Questions
1. After a while, when Langston stops going to classes, in what does he become more interested?
2. Where does Langston's father offer to take Langston?
3. What does Langston do at this revival?
4. Does Langston have any interest in poetry?
5. What happens when, in January, 1921, "A Negro Speaks of Rivers" is published in The Crisis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What influences exist in Langston's life at this point?
2. What does Langston realize about his father, when he visits him for a summer?
3. What happens when Langston is fourteen?
4. How do Langston and his father get into an argument?
5. What does Langston do, now that he has become interested in social issues?
6. How is Langston reunited with his father?
7. What does Langston do while at Lincoln?
8. What happens when Langston returns to New York?
9. Describe Hughes' family history.
10. What jobs does Langston have while living with the Reeds?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)