|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many parts of the African coast does Hughes see?
(b) Only a few.
2. What does Langston do that evening?
(a) He cries himself to sleep.
(b) He writes a letter to his mother.
(c) He prays.
(d) He calls his mother.
3. What does Langston's father approach him one day and say?
(a) He wants him to go to college and become a painter.
(b) He wants him to go to college and become a writer.
(c) He wants him to go to college and become a doctor.
(d) He wants him to go to college and become a mining engineer.
4. Why does Langston soon come down with the 'blues?'
(a) His father is gone most of the time.
(b) He misses his mother.
(c) He does not have friends in Mexico.
(d) He is disgusted by his father's attitude.
5. How does Langston pass the time in Mexico?
(a) By reading and writing.
(b) By working on his autobiography.
(c) By reading, improving his Spanish, and riding horses.
(d) By playing soccer with other boys in town.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Langston rather read?
2. How much money does Langston earn from The Crisis?
3. To whom does Mary introduce Hughes?
4. How is Langston employed on a freighter?
5. In what community center does Langston become involved?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Langston feel about attending church with the Reeds?
2. What happens when Langston is fourteen?
3. What takes place during Langston's senior year?
4. Describe Hughes' family history.
5. Why does Langston travel to McKeesport, Pennsylvania?
6. What is Langston's job on the S.S. West Hesseltine?
7. Describe Lincoln.
8. What influences exist in Langston's life at this point?
9. Describe Langston's experience in Paris.
10. What does Langston realize about his father, when he visits him for a summer?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)