|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After a while, when Langston stops going to classes, in what does he become more interested?
2. How are his first few months in this city?
3. Who introduces Langston to the poetry of Carl Sandburg?
(a) Miss Ethel Weimer.
(b) Miss Emily Mills.
(c) Miss Emilia Hartkopf.
(d) Miss Ellen Conn.
4. One day when Langston and a white friend go to a cafeteria for lunch, how much does his friend's meal cost?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) Eight dollars and sixty-five cents.
(c) Two dollars.
(d) Forty-five cents.
5. Why is Lincoln known as the "black Princeton?"
(a) The courses are similar to those at Princeton.
(b) Many of the black faculty had gone to Princeton.
(c) Many of the white faculty had gone to Princeton.
(d) Many of the black students would later attend graduate school at Princeton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hughes pleased to find about Africa?
2. Does Langston have any interest in poetry?
3. What does his mother do afterward?
4. Does Langston finish college at Columbia?
5. What is the S.S. West Hesseltine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Langston do after dropping out of Columbia?
2. How is Langston reunited with his father?
3. What happened to Langston, one day during a revival at the church?
4. How does Langston get the opportunity to travel to Africa? What does he do, as he travels across the ocean?
5. What is Langston's job on the S.S. West Hesseltine?
6. In what literature is Langston interested at this time?
7. Why do Langston's classmates believe he would be a good poet?
8. How do Langston and his father get into an argument?
9. What does Langston realize about his father, when he visits him for a summer?
10. What does Aimie Semple McPherson say about Langston?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)