|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Langston tell that his sickness derives from a hatred of his father?
(a) His best friend.
(b) The doctor.
(c) His mother.
2. Describe Hughes' family history.
3. When does Langston's mother send for him?
(a) When he is twelve.
(b) When he is fourteen.
(c) When he is ten.
(d) When he is eight.
4. Who is Langston's only friend at Columbia?
5. What job does Langston have on his first ship?
(a) He works in the engine room.
(b) He serves the captain.
(c) He is a mess boy.
(d) He is a cook.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Langston in?
2. Where do Langston's poems continue to appear?
3. How are his first few months in this city?
4. High school has readied him for college. Does Langston have a chance of going on with his education?
5. By whom is Langston greatly influenced?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what literature is Langston interested at this time?
2. What happened to Langston, one day during a revival at the church?
3. What does Langston do, now that he has become interested in social issues?
4. How does Langston get the opportunity to travel to Africa? What does he do, as he travels across the ocean?
5. How is Langston, again, affected by racism, on his train ride home from Mexico?
6. What happens when Langston returns to New York?
7. Describe Langston's experience in Paris.
8. Describe Lincoln.
9. What is Langston's job on the S.S. West Hesseltine?
10. What jobs does Langston have while living with the Reeds?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)