|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does he do during this activity?
(a) He laughs and makes fun of the reading.
(b) He refuses to sing.
(c) He trips and drops the candle.
(d) He becomes bored and starts rolling his eyes and giggling.
2. What happens when, in January, 1921, "A Negro Speaks of Rivers" is published in The Crisis?
(a) After seeing her son's publishing success, Langston's mother sends him to Lincoln for college.
(b) He is accepted into Columbia University with a full-ride.
(c) After seeing his son's publishing success, Mr. Hughes agreed to send his son to Columbia University in New York.
(d) He is asked to come to Lincoln on a partial scholarship.
3. What does Langston's father say about American blacks and Mexicans?
(a) He can relate to them.
(b) They are lazy and foolish.
(c) They should be given equality.
(d) They should all move to Mexico.
4. What does Hughes do with the books?
(a) He rereads them.
(b) He gives them away.
(c) He throws them into the sea.
(d) He puts them in a crate.
5. What happens when Langston shows up to claim his room key at Columbia?
(a) He is told that he will be staying off campus.
(b) He is told that blacks are not allowed in the dormitories.
(c) He is given a key and a roommate.
(d) He is given a key to a small, closet-sized room.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Langston know this influential woman?
2. Where is Langston Hughes born?
3. Has Langston become interested in writing?
4. In what school does Langston's mother enroll him?
5. What is Hughes pleased to find about Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Langston returns to New York?
2. How is Langston affected by his father's attitude?
3. Why does Langston return to Mexico for the summer?
4. Describe Hughes' family history.
5. In what literature is Langston interested at this time?
6. What happened to Langston, one day during a revival at the church?
7. How is Langston, again, affected by racism, on his train ride home from Mexico?
8. Describe Langston's father.
9. What happens when Langston is fourteen?
10. What does Langston do while at Lincoln?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)