|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Langston have any interest in poetry?
(a) A lot.
(d) Quite a bit.
2. From whom is his mother's grandfather supposedly descended?
(a) Francis Scott Key.
(b) Kole Black.
(c) Sterling A. Brown.
(d) Frances Quarles.
3. How is Langston treated in Africa?
(a) He is discriminated against.
(b) He is warmly welcomed.
(c) He is mistreated because he is American.
(d) He is treated as an African.
4. Of what is Langston an active member?
(a) The basketball team.
(b) Several teams and clubs.
(c) The Spanish Club.
(d) The debate team.
5. What is Hughes pleased to find about Africa?
(a) It is not as primitive as the movies had portrayed.
(b) He feels welcome.
(c) It is as primitive as he expected.
(d) The people are kind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Langston's mother want him to do?
2. Where is "The Weary Blues" published?
3. What does Langston think about his job as a doorman at a nightclub?
4. What does Langston do with the money the hotel pays him?
5. Why does Langston not like his middle-class relatives?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Langston and his father get into an argument?
2. Why does Langston move to Cleveland?
3. What influences exist in Langston's life at this point?
4. How does Langston feel about attending church with the Reeds?
5. What happens when Langston returns to New York?
6. What happened to Langston, one day during a revival at the church?
7. What takes place during Langston's senior year?
8. How is Langston affected by his father's attitude?
9. How is Langston reunited with his father?
10. What does Langston do while at Lincoln?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)