|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Langston think about his job as a doorman at a nightclub?
(a) It is unsatisfying.
(b) It is exciting.
(c) It is satisfying.
(d) It is fine.
2. What does Auntie Reed insist that Langston do?
(a) Read every night.
(b) Babysit her children.
(c) Clean the house every Saturday.
(d) Go to church every Sunday.
3. How does Langston know this influential woman?
(a) She is his mother's employer.
(b) She is his English teacher.
(c) She is his neighbor.
(d) She sponsors the Garden Club to which Hughes belongs.
4. Why does Langston sneak into the medical school building?
(a) He wants to be a doctor.
(b) He needs a doctor.
(c) To watch students dissect cadavers.
(d) He wants to steal medical supplies.
5. After another separation with his stepfather, what does Hughes' mother do?
(a) She moves to New York.
(b) She moves to Chicago.
(c) She moves to Washington.
(d) She moves to Alabama.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Langston do with the money the hotel pays him?
2. What does his mother do afterward?
3. High school has readied him for college. Does Langston have a chance of going on with his education?
4. Why is Hughes severely hazed when he first attends Lincoln?
5. On what does he spend his money?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Langston treated in Africa?
2. How does Langston end up meeting the editors of The Crisis?
3. What does Langston do after dropping out of Columbia?
4. In what literature is Langston interested at this time?
5. How is Langston reunited with his father?
6. What does Langston realize about his father, when he visits him for a summer?
7. What does Langston do, now that he has become interested in social issues?
8. What is Langston's job on the S.S. West Hesseltine?
9. How is Langston, yet again, faced with prejudice?
10. What happens when Langston is fourteen?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)