|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Langston's summer in Toluca not a bad one?
(a) His father is around most of the time.
(b) His father encourages him to write.
(c) His father is rarely around.
(d) He makes many friends.
2. How does Langston pass the time in Mexico?
(a) By playing soccer with other boys in town.
(b) By reading, improving his Spanish, and riding horses.
(c) By reading and writing.
(d) By working on his autobiography.
3. What does Langston do at the end of the summer?
(a) He returns to the United States.
(b) He stays in Mexico.
(c) He attends Columbia University.
(d) He visits friends in Paris.
4. How is Langston treated in Africa?
(a) He is warmly welcomed.
(b) He is discriminated against.
(c) He is treated as an African.
(d) He is mistreated because he is American.
5. What happens when, in January, 1921, "A Negro Speaks of Rivers" is published in The Crisis?
(a) He is asked to come to Lincoln on a partial scholarship.
(b) He is accepted into Columbia University with a full-ride.
(c) After seeing her son's publishing success, Langston's mother sends him to Lincoln for college.
(d) After seeing his son's publishing success, Mr. Hughes agreed to send his son to Columbia University in New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Langston enjoy watching Saturday football games?
2. What does Langston's mother write?
3. Of what is Langston an active member?
4. What courses does Hughes take?
5. Where is "The Weary Blues" published?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hughes' family history.
2. What does Langston do with a four hundred dollar prize for "Not Without Laughter?"
3. What difficulties exist for Langston after graduation?
4. What does Langston do after his first year at Lincoln?
5. How is Langston's father's mind changed, regarding his collegiate studies?
6. Where do Langston and his mother move? How is this beneficial?
7. What does Langston do, now that he has become interested in social issues?
8. What does Langston do with the money he earns from the movie?
9. Describe Langston's poetry-reading tour.
10. How is Langston reunited with his father?
This section contains 1,211 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)