|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Of what is Langston an active member?
(a) The basketball team.
(b) Several teams and clubs.
(c) The debate team.
(d) The Spanish Club.
2. How is Mary Langston a proud woman?
(a) She charges a great deal of money to work for white people.
(b) She refuses to cook, clean, or wash for rich white families.
(c) She does not speak to white people.
(d) She never asks for help.
3. What do people suppose Langston has because he is black?
4. That spring, where is Langston invited to spend the summer?
(a) With his father in Cleveland, Ohio.
(b) With his stepfather in Chicago, Illinois.
(c) With his father in Toluca, Mexico.
(d) With his father in Memphis, Tennessee.
5. Whose poems does Langston like?
(a) Only George Barker and Thomas Campbell.
(b) Only Richard Aldington and James Alexander Allan.
(c) Only Longellow and Paul Laurence Dunbar.
(d) Only Alan Davies and Ralph Waldo Emerson.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does he do during this activity?
2. Why is Hughes severely hazed when he first attends Lincoln?
3. What leads Langston and his father to get into an argument concerning Langston's future?
4. Where is "The Weary Blues" published?
5. What does Langston do on the train ride to Mexico?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Langston treated in Africa?
2. How is Langston's father's mind changed, regarding his collegiate studies?
3. How does Langston end up meeting the editors of The Crisis?
4. What happened to Langston, one day during a revival at the church?
5. How does Langston feel about attending church with the Reeds?
6. Describe Hughes' family history.
7. In what literature is Langston interested at this time?
8. What happens when Langston's mother performs at church?
9. Describe Langston's father.
10. Why does Langston travel to McKeesport, Pennsylvania?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)