|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who will Langston be joining?
(a) His mother, stepfather, and half-brother.
(b) His mother and aunt.
(c) His mother.
(d) His mother, stepfather, and stepbrother.
2. Who does Langston take with him when he meets the editors of The Crisis?
(a) His stepbrother.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His stepfather.
3. What does Langston think about the box of books he has brought for this journey?
(a) He decides they are a part of his past.
(b) He is glad he brought them.
(c) They will help him in his journey in Africa.
(d) They will be a part of his new life.
4. Why does Langston purchase a new suit and coat and travel to McKeesport, Pennsylvania?
(a) That is where is stepbrother lives.
(b) His is doing a poetry reading there.
(c) He is visiting his father.
(d) That is where his mother and stepfather are living.
5. What would Langston rather read?
(a) Historical fiction.
(c) Science fiction.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Langston's father say about American blacks and Mexicans?
2. What does Langston do when he is denied admittance because of his color?
3. What does Langston do with the money the hotel pays him?
4. From whom is his mother's grandfather supposedly descended?
5. What happens when, in January, 1921, "A Negro Speaks of Rivers" is published in The Crisis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Langston and his mother move? How is this beneficial?
2. What happens when Langston returns to New York?
3. Describe Langston's experience in Paris.
4. How does Langston feel about attending church with the Reeds?
5. Why does Langston return to Mexico for the summer?
6. What does Langston do when he travels to New Orleans?
7. What does Langston do when he returns to Harlem?
8. How is Langston, yet again, faced with prejudice?
9. Describe Lincoln.
10. What happens to the movie for which Hughes had been asked to become a writer?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)