|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hughes do with the books?
(a) He rereads them.
(b) He throws them into the sea.
(c) He puts them in a crate.
(d) He gives them away.
2. At what age does Langston Hughes begin to consider himself a poet?
3. From whom is his mother's grandfather supposedly descended?
(a) Kole Black.
(b) Frances Quarles.
(c) Sterling A. Brown.
(d) Francis Scott Key.
4. What does Langston do that evening?
(a) He cries himself to sleep.
(b) He writes a letter to his mother.
(c) He prays.
(d) He calls his mother.
5. How does Langston help this family?
(a) By branding the cattle.
(b) By tutoring their children.
(c) By cooking and cleaning.
(d) With the housework, which included setting hens and driving cows to pasture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Langston do when he hears how much his food will cost?
2. What would Langston rather read?
3. On what does he spend his money?
4. When Langston returns to New York, he is introduced to whom?
5. What does Langston do at the end of the summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Langston act on stage at church? What are the reactions of the congregation and his mother?
2. What influences exist in Langston's life at this point?
3. Describe Langston's father.
4. How is Langston treated in Africa?
5. What does Langston do after dropping out of Columbia?
6. Why do Langston's classmates believe he would be a good poet?
7. What does Langston do, now that he has become interested in social issues?
8. How is Langston's father's mind changed, regarding his collegiate studies?
9. Describe Lincoln.
10. How is Langston reunited with his father?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)