Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who introduces Langston to the poetry of Carl Sandburg?
(a) Miss Emilia Hartkopf.
(b) Miss Emily Mills.
(c) Miss Ellen Conn.
(d) Miss Ethel Weimer.
2. What courses does Hughes take?
(a) Music and literature.
(b) Education and literature.
(c) Literature and theater.
(d) Theater and music.
3. One day when Langston and a white friend go to a cafeteria for lunch, how much does his friend's meal cost?
(a) Forty-five cents.
(b) Eight dollars and sixty-five cents.
(c) Five dollars.
(d) Two dollars.
4. Who does Langston take with him when he meets the editors of The Crisis?
(a) His stepbrother.
(b) His father.
(c) His stepfather.
(d) His mother.
5. Where is Langston Hughes born?
(a) New York, New York.
(b) Cleveland, Ohio.
(c) Chicago, Illinois.
(d) Joplin, Mississippi.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age does Langston Hughes begin to consider himself a poet?
2. Where does Langston's father offer to take Langston?
3. Who does Langston's grandmother take Langston to hear at the university?
4. Where does Langston accept a job teaching English?
5. Why does Langston move to Cleveland?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Langston act on stage at church? What are the reactions of the congregation and his mother?
2. Describe Lincoln.
3. What does Langston do when he returns to Harlem?
4. Describe Langston's experience in Paris.
5. Describe Hughes' family history.
6. How is Langston's father's mind changed, regarding his collegiate studies?
7. What does Langston do while in Carmel, California?
8. What happens when Langston is fourteen?
9. What does Langston do upon returning to the United States?
10. What does Langston do when he travels to New Orleans?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)