|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Langston is a junior in high school?
(a) Langston's mother and father get remarried.
(b) Langston's mother and his stepfather reunite in Cleveland.
(c) Langston's mother and stepfather have another child.
(d) Langston's mother and father reunite in Mexico.
2. What does Langston do at the end of the summer?
(a) He attends Columbia University.
(b) He returns to the United States.
(c) He stays in Mexico.
(d) He visits friends in Paris.
3. What does Langston do that evening?
(a) He cries himself to sleep.
(b) He calls his mother.
(c) He prays.
(d) He writes a letter to his mother.
4. In what does Hughes become interested?
(c) Social issues.
5. Who does Langston take with him when he meets the editors of The Crisis?
(a) His mother.
(b) His stepbrother.
(c) His father.
(d) His stepfather.
Short Answer Questions
1. That spring, where is Langston invited to spend the summer?
2. How is Mary Langston a proud woman?
3. In what school does Langston's mother enroll him?
4. Of what is Langston in search when he returns to New York?
5. What leads Langston and his father to get into an argument concerning Langston's future?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Langston, one day during a revival at the church?
2. How does Langston become involved in school activities at Central High School?
3. What is Langston's job on the S.S. West Hesseltine?
4. How is Langston affected by his father's attitude?
5. How is Langston treated in Africa?
6. Why does Langston return to Mexico for the summer?
7. How does Langston feel about attending church with the Reeds?
8. What does Langston do after dropping out of Columbia?
9. What jobs does Langston have while living with the Reeds?
10. What happens when Langston returns to New York?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)