|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Langston and Zell Ingram, a friend from Cleveland, decide to do?
(a) Travel to the South.
(b) Travel to Paris.
(c) Travel to California.
(d) Travel to Asia.
2. Where does the incident occur where the colored teachers of a school were told they'd be fired if Hughes, an assumed Communist, read his poetry?
(a) Gary, Indiana.
(b) Hammond, Indiana.
(c) Indianapolis, Indiana.
(d) Detroit, Michigan.
3. What does Hughes do when he returns to Moscow?
(a) He learns Russian.
(b) He waits for his permit to leave.
(c) He meets with another movie producer to discuss creating a film about his experiences in Russia.
(d) He writes and sells articles about his travels in Russia.
4. Who is Jesse B. Simple?
(a) A character in one of Langston's poems.
(b) A member of the Black Renaissance that Langston had met.
(c) Langston's best friend.
(d) One of Langston's characters.
5. What happens when Hughes wakes the next morning?
(a) His father calls him.
(b) He receives a letter from his mother saying his father is dead.
(c) His father is ill.
(d) He receives a telgram saying his father is dead.
6. When does Langston return to the United States?
(a) In the midst of the Great Depression.
(b) A week after the Crash.
(c) After the Great Depression.
(d) Before the Great Depression.
7. Where does Langston say he met a man named Simple?
(a) In a Detroit club.
(b) In a Cleveland center.
(c) In a New York restaurant.
(d) In a Harlem bar.
8. With what difficult position is Langston posed?
(a) Writing material he has no interest in writing.
(b) Wanting to write but needing to make money.
(c) Not having time to write all that he wishes to write.
(d) Teaching in a school in which he does not want to be.
9. What does this group of individuals decide to create?
(a) A black academy called the Renaissance Academy.
(b) A black university called New Negro College.
(c) A black theater called the Apollo Theatre.
(d) A black magazine of the arts called Fire.
10. What is the name of the theater in Los Angeles?
(a) The New Harlem Theater.
(b) The New Negro Theater.
(c) The Next Apollo Theater.
(d) The African Theater.
11. What does his mother receive while they are there?
(a) A letter from his stepfather.
(b) News about her sister.
(c) Cancer treatments.
(d) Good care at a reasonable price from a black physician.
12. How much success does Langston have with these submissions?
13. Who gives Langston a thousand dollar grant?
(a) The member of the Black Renaissance.
(b) The Rosenwood Fund.
(c) Mary McLeod Bethune.
(d) His father.
14. When does the first Simple story appear in the Chicago Defender?
15. Where does this trip south take Langston?
(a) To unversities and concert halls.
(b) To famous theaters.
(c) To community centers and high schools.
(d) To colleges, high schools, and local meeting places.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the spring of 1937 for whom does Hughes travel to Spain as a correspondent?
2. What has this place become?
3. To whom is "Tomorrow's Seed" dedicated?
4. What does Langston think about his father?
5. In New Orleans, what job does Hughes take?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)