|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does his mother receive while they are there?
(a) News about her sister.
(b) Good care at a reasonable price from a black physician.
(c) Cancer treatments.
(d) A letter from his stepfather.
2. Into what language are Langston's poems translated?
3. How does Langston decide to use his pay from the film?
(a) To travel to Russia.
(b) To travel to Paris.
(c) To travel through Asia.
(d) To visit his friends in Cleveland.
4. Why are his readings canceled?
(a) No one wants to hear him speak.
(b) There is no place large enough hold the crowds that want to meet him.
(c) They are afraid of him.
(d) Due to public outbursts.
5. When does Langston return to the United States?
(a) A week after the Crash.
(b) In the midst of the Great Depression.
(c) After the Great Depression.
(d) Before the Great Depression.
6. What do Langston and Zell Ingram, a friend from Cleveland, decide to do?
(a) Travel to Asia.
(b) Travel to the South.
(c) Travel to California.
(d) Travel to Paris.
7. How does this person feel about Langston's poem, "Goodbye Christ?"
(a) She is angered and appalled by it.
(b) She is slightly nervous about it.
(c) She is excited about it.
(d) She is saddened by it.
8. Where does the incident occur where the colored teachers of a school were told they'd be fired if Hughes, an assumed Communist, read his poetry?
(a) Detroit, Michigan.
(b) Indianapolis, Indiana.
(c) Hammond, Indiana.
(d) Gary, Indiana.
9. After they return to New York City, what does Langston begin planning?
(a) Another job on a ship.
(b) A trip to Paris.
(c) A tour in Asia.
(d) A poetry-reading tour.
10. Does Langston read his poetry at this luncheon?
(c) Just one poem.
(d) Some of it.
11. What does Langston think about his father?
(a) He misses him.
(b) He should write to him soon.
(c) He never wants to see him again.
(d) He wonders what he is up to.
12. What has happened to Barcelona, right before Langston arrives?
(a) It has been bombed by the the British.
(b) It has become a territory of Nazi Germany.
(c) It is destroyed by a nuclear bomb.
(d) It is bombed by German and Italian aircraft.
13. What does this group of individuals decide to create?
(a) A black academy called the Renaissance Academy.
(b) A black theater called the Apollo Theatre.
(c) A black magazine of the arts called Fire.
(d) A black university called New Negro College.
14. About what is Hughes to report?
(a) The roles of Americcan soldiers in World War II.
(b) African Americans and their role in the war in Spain.
(c) The roles of American soldiers in the war in Spain.
(d) African Americans and their role in World War II.
15. Who is Jesse B. Simple?
(a) A character in one of Langston's poems.
(b) Langston's best friend.
(c) A member of the Black Renaissance that Langston had met.
(d) One of Langston's characters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does this trip south take Langston?
2. During this time he meets with many important literary figures of what movement?
3. Where does Langston say he met a man named Simple?
4. What is the name of the theater in Los Angeles?
5. The result of Hughes' time spent writing in this place is what?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)