|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Langston receive for "Not Without Laughter?"
(a) A four hundred dollar prize.
(b) A one hundred dollar prize.
(c) A four thousand dollar prize.
(d) A one thousand dollar prize.
2. When do Langston and his friend set off for the South?
(a) October of 1931.
(b) October of 1951.
(c) October of 1941.
(d) October of 1921.
3. During this time he meets with many important literary figures of what movement?
(a) The Black Wave.
(b) The African American Movement.
(c) The Black Renaissance.
(d) The Harlem Movement.
4. What happens when Hughes wakes the next morning?
(a) His father is ill.
(b) He receives a letter from his mother saying his father is dead.
(c) His father calls him.
(d) He receives a telgram saying his father is dead.
5. After his first year at Lincoln, where does Hughes rent a room for the summer?
(b) The Bronx.
6. Why does Hughes ask for a loan from Knopf, his publisher?
(a) For the completion of his poems about Spain.
(b) For the completion of a book of short stories.
(c) For the completion of his autobiography.
(d) For the completion of a book of poems.
7. Who is the founder of Bethune-Cookman?
(a) Marsha Jay Bethune.
(b) Margaret Bethune.
(c) Mary Elizabeth Bethune.
(d) Mary McLeod Bethune.
8. Who does Simple represent?
(a) The members of the Black Renaissance.
(b) The average African American trying to make it in a white society.
(d) The famous black Americans.
9. What does his mother receive while they are there?
(a) A letter from his stepfather.
(b) Cancer treatments.
(c) Good care at a reasonable price from a black physician.
(d) News about her sister.
10. Does Langston read his poetry at this luncheon?
(b) Some of it.
(c) Just one poem.
11. Where does Langston continue to submit plays?
(d) The Karamu.
12. How does Langston decide to use his pay from the film?
(a) To travel to Russia.
(b) To visit his friends in Cleveland.
(c) To travel to Paris.
(d) To travel through Asia.
13. In how many books does Simple appear?
14. Who gives Langston a thousand dollar grant?
(a) His father.
(b) Mary McLeod Bethune.
(c) The member of the Black Renaissance.
(d) The Rosenwood Fund.
15. Why are Hughes and the crew sent to Odessa?
(a) In order to film shots that show villagers working in the fields.
(b) In order to film some cotton-picking scenes.
(c) In order to film some footage of a southern town.
(d) In order to film shots that resemble the Russian countryside.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hughes live in Barcelona?
2. How much success does Langston have with these submissions?
3. How is "The Big Sea" received by many critics?
4. How does Hughes become involved with anti-war campaigns?
5. Who does Langston meet in Ashkhabad?
This section contains 492 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)