|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Langston and Zell Ingram, a friend from Cleveland, decide to do?
(a) Travel to the South.
(b) Travel to Paris.
(c) Travel to California.
(d) Travel to Asia.
2. Where are Hughes' plays performed?
(a) At the Wintergarden.
(b) At Karamu.
(c) At Footlite.
(d) At the Croswell.
3. The result of Hughes' time spent writing in this place is what?
(a) A play.
(b) A book of short stories.
(c) An autobiography.
(d) A book of poetry.
4. What has this place become?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) A church.
(c) A club.
(d) A theater company.
5. Why do Lucas and Hughes spend most of their evenings as guests in black households?
(a) They do not feel comfortable staying in hotels.
(b) They are often unwelcome in hotels.
(c) They are welcomed by the communities they visit.
(d) They do not trust white people.
6. How does Fisk College reward Hughes for reading his poems at their college?
(a) With an article in the local paper.
(b) In a large fee.
(c) With a thank you dinner.
(d) With free college tuition.
7. How much success does Langston have with these submissions?
8. Where does Noel Sullivan, an old friend of Hughes', put him up?
(a) In a townhouse in San Francisco.
(b) In a villa in Spain.
(c) In an apartment in Manhattan.
(d) In a cottage in Carmel, California.
9. Who is the founder of Bethune-Cookman?
(a) Marsha Jay Bethune.
(b) Margaret Bethune.
(c) Mary McLeod Bethune.
(d) Mary Elizabeth Bethune.
10. Into what language are Langston's poems translated?
11. How does Hughes find the script, which was written by a Russian?
(a) To be a highly inaccurate portrayal of Russia.
(b) To be a highly inaccurate portrayal of America.
(c) To be a highly accurate portrayal of America.
(d) To be a highly accurate portrayal of Russia.
12. Does Langston read his poetry at this luncheon?
(c) Just one poem.
(d) Some of it.
13. Where does the incident occur where the colored teachers of a school were told they'd be fired if Hughes, an assumed Communist, read his poetry?
(a) Gary, Indiana.
(b) Detroit, Michigan.
(c) Indianapolis, Indiana.
(d) Hammond, Indiana.
14. How is "The Big Sea" received by many critics?
(a) Only slightly.
(c) Not at all.
15. Where does Langston stay the following summer in order to complete his first novel?
(a) On Lincoln's campus.
(c) Carmel, California.
(d) New York City.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hughes do when he returns to Moscow?
2. What does Mrs. Bethune ask Langston to do for her students?
3. Where does Hughes live in Barcelona?
4. What does Langston receive for "Not Without Laughter?"
5. With what is Hughes' poetry often infused?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)