|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hughes live in Barcelona?
(a) Near the front line.
(b) Far from the fighting.
(c) In a resort.
(d) In a tiny, quiet village.
2. Who is Jesse B. Simple?
(a) A member of the Black Renaissance that Langston had met.
(b) Langston's best friend.
(c) A character in one of Langston's poems.
(d) One of Langston's characters.
3. Where does the incident occur where the colored teachers of a school were told they'd be fired if Hughes, an assumed Communist, read his poetry?
(a) Hammond, Indiana.
(b) Indianapolis, Indiana.
(c) Gary, Indiana.
(d) Detroit, Michigan.
4. In the spring of 1937 for whom does Hughes travel to Spain as a correspondent?
(a) The Baltimore, a Baltimore based publication.
(b) The African American, a Baltimore based publication.
(c) The Crisis, a New York based publication.
(d) Time, a New York based publication.
5. With what is Hughes' poetry often infused?
(a) Communist propaganda.
(b) African American propaganda.
(c) Political or religious propaganda.
(d) Anti-American propaganda.
6. Why does Hughes ask for a loan from Knopf, his publisher?
(a) For the completion of a book of poems.
(b) For the completion of a book of short stories.
(c) For the completion of his poems about Spain.
(d) For the completion of his autobiography.
7. Where does Langston stay the following summer in order to complete his first novel?
(a) Carmel, California.
(c) New York City.
(d) On Lincoln's campus.
8. Who does Langston meet in Ashkhabad?
(a) A reporter named Allan Cumming.
(b) A reporter named Arthur Koestler.
(c) An actress who is also a writer.
(d) A dancer who becomes his girlfriend.
9. While in Baton Rouge, what does Langston visit?
(a) A jazz concert hall.
(b) A prison.
(c) Members of the Black Renaissance.
(d) A camp for refugees.
10. After they return to New York City, what does Langston begin planning?
(a) Another job on a ship.
(b) A tour in Asia.
(c) A trip to Paris.
(d) A poetry-reading tour.
11. What does Langston receive for "Not Without Laughter?"
(a) A four hundred dollar prize.
(b) A one thousand dollar prize.
(c) A one hundred dollar prize.
(d) A four thousand dollar prize.
12. When does the first Simple story appear in the Chicago Defender?
13. What has happened to Barcelona, right before Langston arrives?
(a) It is destroyed by a nuclear bomb.
(b) It has been bombed by the the British.
(c) It has become a territory of Nazi Germany.
(d) It is bombed by German and Italian aircraft.
14. What is the name of the theater in Los Angeles?
(a) The New Negro Theater.
(b) The Next Apollo Theater.
(c) The African Theater.
(d) The New Harlem Theater.
15. Which of Hughes' works is published during this summer?
(a) Prodigal Son and Mulatto.
(b) Mulatto and A House in Taos.
(c) A House in Taos and Not Without Laughter.
(d) Prodigal Son and Not Without Laughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does this trip south take Langston?
2. Where does Noel Sullivan, an old friend of Hughes', put him up?
3. To where do Langston and his mother move back?
4. With what difficult position is Langston posed?
5. When he returned to Harlem in January of 1938, what does Langston do?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)