|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After they return to New York City, what does Langston begin planning?
(a) A tour in Asia.
(b) A poetry-reading tour.
(c) A trip to Paris.
(d) Another job on a ship.
2. Why are his readings canceled?
(a) There is no place large enough hold the crowds that want to meet him.
(b) No one wants to hear him speak.
(c) Due to public outbursts.
(d) They are afraid of him.
3. Who gives Langston a thousand dollar grant?
(a) The member of the Black Renaissance.
(b) His father.
(c) Mary McLeod Bethune.
(d) The Rosenwood Fund.
4. When does Langston return to the United States?
(a) Before the Great Depression.
(b) A week after the Crash.
(c) After the Great Depression.
(d) In the midst of the Great Depression.
5. What has happened to Barcelona, right before Langston arrives?
(a) It has been bombed by the the British.
(b) It is destroyed by a nuclear bomb.
(c) It is bombed by German and Italian aircraft.
(d) It has become a territory of Nazi Germany.
6. What does Langston receive for "Not Without Laughter?"
(a) A four hundred dollar prize.
(b) A four thousand dollar prize.
(c) A one thousand dollar prize.
(d) A one hundred dollar prize.
7. What happens to the musical revue for which Langston works as a song lyricist?
(a) It is never seen.
(b) It has a small amount of success.
(c) It closes after only one performance.
(d) It is very successful.
8. How is "The Big Sea" received by many critics?
(a) Only slightly.
(d) Not at all.
9. Does Langston read his poetry at this luncheon?
(a) Just one poem.
(b) Some of it.
10. Where does Langston tour for the entirety of the summer?
(a) The American Southwest.
(b) The American South.
(d) The American West.
11. Where does Langston continue to submit plays?
(c) The Karamu.
12. To where do Langston and his mother move back?
(c) New York.
13. What does his mother receive while they are there?
(a) A letter from his stepfather.
(b) Good care at a reasonable price from a black physician.
(c) News about her sister.
(d) Cancer treatments.
14. The result of Hughes' time spent writing in this place is what?
(a) An autobiography.
(b) A play.
(c) A book of short stories.
(d) A book of poetry.
15. How does Langston decide to use his pay from the film?
(a) To travel through Asia.
(b) To visit his friends in Cleveland.
(c) To travel to Paris.
(d) To travel to Russia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hughes ask for a loan from Knopf, his publisher?
2. How much success does Langston have with these submissions?
3. Into what language are Langston's poems translated?
4. To whom is "Tomorrow's Seed" dedicated?
5. When Fire is finally published at the end of the summer, how is it received?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)