|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has happened to Barcelona, right before Langston arrives?
(a) It is bombed by German and Italian aircraft.
(b) It is destroyed by a nuclear bomb.
(c) It has been bombed by the the British.
(d) It has become a territory of Nazi Germany.
2. What does Mrs. Bethune ask Langston to do for her students?
(a) Encourage them to be writers.
(b) Write a poem about them.
(c) Read some of his poetry to them.
(d) Teach them a poetry lesson.
3. To where do Langston and his mother move back?
(c) New York.
4. How is "The Big Sea" received by many critics?
(a) Not at all.
(b) Only slightly.
5. Who does Langston meet in Ashkhabad?
(a) A dancer who becomes his girlfriend.
(b) A reporter named Allan Cumming.
(c) An actress who is also a writer.
(d) A reporter named Arthur Koestler.
6. When Fire is finally published at the end of the summer, how is it received?
(a) With negative reviews.
(b) With mixed reviews.
(c) With positive reviews.
(d) With hostile reviews.
7. Where does Langston stay the following summer in order to complete his first novel?
(a) New York City.
(c) Carmel, California.
(d) On Lincoln's campus.
8. After they return to New York City, what does Langston begin planning?
(a) Another job on a ship.
(b) A tour in Asia.
(c) A trip to Paris.
(d) A poetry-reading tour.
9. In how many books does Simple appear?
10. The result of Hughes' time spent writing in this place is what?
(a) A book of short stories.
(b) An autobiography.
(c) A book of poetry.
(d) A play.
11. Where are Hughes' plays performed?
(a) At Footlite.
(b) At the Wintergarden.
(c) At the Croswell.
(d) At Karamu.
12. Which of Hughes' works is published during this summer?
(a) A House in Taos and Not Without Laughter.
(b) Prodigal Son and Mulatto.
(c) Prodigal Son and Not Without Laughter.
(d) Mulatto and A House in Taos.
13. When he returned to Harlem in January of 1938, what does Langston do?
(a) He runs the Harlem Suitcase Theater.
(b) He protests the war.
(c) He writes a play.
(d) He helps build a theater for blacks called the Harlem Suitcase Theater.
14. What does Langston think about his father?
(a) He misses him.
(b) He wonders what he is up to.
(c) He never wants to see him again.
(d) He should write to him soon.
15. Why does Langston become depressed?
(a) Racism is stronger now than a few years ago.
(b) Racism he witnesses even in the midst of disaster.
(c) He is treated worse in the south than in the north.
(d) He is still treated unequally.
Short Answer Questions
1. In New Orleans, what job does Hughes take?
2. Where does Langston tour for the entirety of the summer?
3. What do Langston and Zell Ingram, a friend from Cleveland, decide to do?
4. How do Langston's plays become more socially relevant?
5. How does Hughes become involved with anti-war campaigns?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)