|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hughes become involved with anti-war campaigns?
(a) Writing and handing out pamphlets to the public.
(b) Writing advertisements for billboards.
(c) Advertisements for the radio.
(d) Speaking to people at rallies.
2. Does Langston read his poetry at this luncheon?
(a) Some of it.
(d) Just one poem.
3. What has this place become?
(a) A church.
(b) A restaurant.
(c) A theater company.
(d) A club.
4. Who is Aimie Semple McPherson?
(a) A Communist.
(b) A housewife.
(c) An evangelist.
(d) A politician.
5. What does Langston think about his father?
(a) He wonders what he is up to.
(b) He should write to him soon.
(c) He misses him.
(d) He never wants to see him again.
6. After his first year at Lincoln, where does Hughes rent a room for the summer?
(a) The Bronx.
7. Who gives Langston a thousand dollar grant?
(a) His father.
(b) The Rosenwood Fund.
(c) The member of the Black Renaissance.
(d) Mary McLeod Bethune.
8. While in Baton Rouge, what does Langston visit?
(a) A jazz concert hall.
(b) A prison.
(c) Members of the Black Renaissance.
(d) A camp for refugees.
9. When he returned to Harlem in January of 1938, what does Langston do?
(a) He runs the Harlem Suitcase Theater.
(b) He protests the war.
(c) He helps build a theater for blacks called the Harlem Suitcase Theater.
(d) He writes a play.
10. Where does this trip south take Langston?
(a) To famous theaters.
(b) To unversities and concert halls.
(c) To community centers and high schools.
(d) To colleges, high schools, and local meeting places.
11. How does Langston decide to use his pay from the film?
(a) To travel to Paris.
(b) To visit his friends in Cleveland.
(c) To travel through Asia.
(d) To travel to Russia.
12. Where does Langston tour for the entirety of the summer?
(b) The American Southwest.
(c) The American West.
(d) The American South.
13. What does Langston receive for "Not Without Laughter?"
(a) A one thousand dollar prize.
(b) A four thousand dollar prize.
(c) A one hundred dollar prize.
(d) A four hundred dollar prize.
14. How much success does Langston have with these submissions?
15. How does Fisk College reward Hughes for reading his poems at their college?
(a) In a large fee.
(b) With free college tuition.
(c) With a thank you dinner.
(d) With an article in the local paper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Simple represent?
2. When does the first Simple story appear in the Chicago Defender?
3. Where does Langston continue to submit plays?
4. For how long does "Don't You Want to Be Free?" run?
5. When does Langston return to the United States?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)