|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Fisk College reward Hughes for reading his poems at their college?
(a) With a thank you dinner.
(b) In a large fee.
(c) With free college tuition.
(d) With an article in the local paper.
2. About what is Hughes to report?
(a) African Americans and their role in the war in Spain.
(b) The roles of Americcan soldiers in World War II.
(c) African Americans and their role in World War II.
(d) The roles of American soldiers in the war in Spain.
3. After they return to New York City, what does Langston begin planning?
(a) A tour in Asia.
(b) A poetry-reading tour.
(c) A trip to Paris.
(d) Another job on a ship.
4. Where does Langston continue to submit plays?
(b) The Karamu.
5. When Fire is finally published at the end of the summer, how is it received?
(a) With hostile reviews.
(b) With negative reviews.
(c) With positive reviews.
(d) With mixed reviews.
6. Where does Langston tour for the entirety of the summer?
(a) The American South.
(b) The American Southwest.
(c) The American West.
7. Who is Jesse B. Simple?
(a) A member of the Black Renaissance that Langston had met.
(b) One of Langston's characters.
(c) A character in one of Langston's poems.
(d) Langston's best friend.
8. How is "The Big Sea" received by many critics?
(b) Only slightly.
(d) Not at all.
9. Where does the incident occur where the colored teachers of a school were told they'd be fired if Hughes, an assumed Communist, read his poetry?
(a) Indianapolis, Indiana.
(b) Gary, Indiana.
(c) Detroit, Michigan.
(d) Hammond, Indiana.
10. What does Hughes do before leaving for Paris?
(a) He visits the South one last time.
(b) He fills out his will.
(c) He says goodbye to his familly.
(d) He writes an article about preparing to leave.
11. Why does Hughes ask for a loan from Knopf, his publisher?
(a) For the completion of his autobiography.
(b) For the completion of a book of short stories.
(c) For the completion of a book of poems.
(d) For the completion of his poems about Spain.
12. Where does Langston stay the following summer in order to complete his first novel?
(a) On Lincoln's campus.
(b) Carmel, California.
(c) New York City.
13. How does this person feel about Langston's poem, "Goodbye Christ?"
(a) She is angered and appalled by it.
(b) She is slightly nervous about it.
(c) She is excited about it.
(d) She is saddened by it.
14. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
(a) It is the longest running and perhaps greatest influence on the black community.
(b) He is a simple man, like many people.
(c) He is very influential in Langston's life.
(d) His poem is the most published of all African American writings.
15. What is the name of the theater in Los Angeles?
(a) The New Negro Theater.
(b) The African Theater.
(c) The New Harlem Theater.
(d) The Next Apollo Theater.
Short Answer Questions
1. When he returned to Harlem in January of 1938, what does Langston do?
2. The result of Hughes' time spent writing in this place is what?
3. What do Langston and Zell Ingram, a friend from Cleveland, decide to do?
4. What happens to the musical revue for which Langston works as a song lyricist?
5. How much success does Langston have with these submissions?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)