|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do Langston and his friend set off for the South?
(a) October of 1951.
(b) October of 1941.
(c) October of 1921.
(d) October of 1931.
2. What does Hughes purchase?
(a) A van.
(b) A plane.
(c) A bus.
(d) A Ford.
3. How do Langston's plays become more socially relevant?
(a) As he begins to write about current events.
(b) As he begins to write historical pieces.
(c) As he begins to write about the African American situation.
(d) As he begins to protest the war.
4. What happens to the musical revue for which Langston works as a song lyricist?
(a) It has a small amount of success.
(b) It is very successful.
(c) It is never seen.
(d) It closes after only one performance.
5. To where do Langston and his mother move back?
(b) New York.
6. What has this place become?
(a) A theater company.
(b) A club.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) A church.
7. After they return to New York City, what does Langston begin planning?
(a) A poetry-reading tour.
(b) A trip to Paris.
(c) A tour in Asia.
(d) Another job on a ship.
8. What does Hughes do before leaving for Paris?
(a) He writes an article about preparing to leave.
(b) He fills out his will.
(c) He visits the South one last time.
(d) He says goodbye to his familly.
9. How does Langston decide to use his pay from the film?
(a) To visit his friends in Cleveland.
(b) To travel to Russia.
(c) To travel to Paris.
(d) To travel through Asia.
10. What does Hughes do when he returns to Moscow?
(a) He writes and sells articles about his travels in Russia.
(b) He meets with another movie producer to discuss creating a film about his experiences in Russia.
(c) He waits for his permit to leave.
(d) He learns Russian.
11. Where does Langston say he met a man named Simple?
(a) In a Harlem bar.
(b) In a New York restaurant.
(c) In a Detroit club.
(d) In a Cleveland center.
12. What do Langston and Zell Ingram, a friend from Cleveland, decide to do?
(a) Travel to Asia.
(b) Travel to Paris.
(c) Travel to the South.
(d) Travel to California.
13. What is the name of the theater in Los Angeles?
(a) The New Negro Theater.
(b) The New Harlem Theater.
(c) The African Theater.
(d) The Next Apollo Theater.
14. Who is the founder of Bethune-Cookman?
(a) Marsha Jay Bethune.
(b) Mary Elizabeth Bethune.
(c) Margaret Bethune.
(d) Mary McLeod Bethune.
15. While in Baton Rouge, what does Langston visit?
(a) A camp for refugees.
(b) Members of the Black Renaissance.
(c) A prison.
(d) A jazz concert hall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
2. In how many books does Simple appear?
3. For how long does "Don't You Want to Be Free?" run?
4. Why does Hughes ask for a loan from Knopf, his publisher?
5. Why do Lucas and Hughes spend most of their evenings as guests in black households?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)