|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Into what language are Langston's poems translated?
2. What does Mrs. Bethune ask Langston to do for her students?
(a) Encourage them to be writers.
(b) Read some of his poetry to them.
(c) Write a poem about them.
(d) Teach them a poetry lesson.
3. Is Langston interested in teaching after he has graduated college?
(a) A little.
(d) At first.
4. When do Langston and his friend set off for the South?
(a) October of 1951.
(b) October of 1941.
(c) October of 1931.
(d) October of 1921.
5. With what difficult position is Langston posed?
(a) Not having time to write all that he wishes to write.
(b) Teaching in a school in which he does not want to be.
(c) Wanting to write but needing to make money.
(d) Writing material he has no interest in writing.
6. Where does the incident occur where the colored teachers of a school were told they'd be fired if Hughes, an assumed Communist, read his poetry?
(a) Gary, Indiana.
(b) Detroit, Michigan.
(c) Indianapolis, Indiana.
(d) Hammond, Indiana.
7. What has this place become?
(a) A club.
(b) A church.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) A theater company.
8. When Fire is finally published at the end of the summer, how is it received?
(a) With hostile reviews.
(b) With mixed reviews.
(c) With positive reviews.
(d) With negative reviews.
9. With what is Hughes' poetry often infused?
(a) Political or religious propaganda.
(b) Anti-American propaganda.
(c) African American propaganda.
(d) Communist propaganda.
10. Why does Langston become depressed?
(a) Racism he witnesses even in the midst of disaster.
(b) He is still treated unequally.
(c) He is treated worse in the south than in the north.
(d) Racism is stronger now than a few years ago.
11. Who does Simple represent?
(a) The members of the Black Renaissance.
(c) The famous black Americans.
(d) The average African American trying to make it in a white society.
12. To where do Langston and his mother move back?
(c) New York.
13. How does Hughes find the script, which was written by a Russian?
(a) To be a highly accurate portrayal of Russia.
(b) To be a highly inaccurate portrayal of Russia.
(c) To be a highly accurate portrayal of America.
(d) To be a highly inaccurate portrayal of America.
14. Why does Hughes ask for a loan from Knopf, his publisher?
(a) For the completion of his autobiography.
(b) For the completion of a book of poems.
(c) For the completion of a book of short stories.
(d) For the completion of his poems about Spain.
15. Why do Lucas and Hughes spend most of their evenings as guests in black households?
(a) They are welcomed by the communities they visit.
(b) They do not trust white people.
(c) They are often unwelcome in hotels.
(d) They do not feel comfortable staying in hotels.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are Hughes and the crew sent to Odessa?
2. Which of Hughes' works is published during this summer?
3. Who gives Langston a thousand dollar grant?
4. Where does this trip south take Langston?
5. What does his mother receive while they are there?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)