|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the founder of Bethune-Cookman?
(a) Mary McLeod Bethune.
(b) Marsha Jay Bethune.
(c) Margaret Bethune.
(d) Mary Elizabeth Bethune.
2. What does his mother receive while they are there?
(a) Good care at a reasonable price from a black physician.
(b) Cancer treatments.
(c) A letter from his stepfather.
(d) News about her sister.
3. The result of Hughes' time spent writing in this place is what?
(a) A book of short stories.
(b) A play.
(c) A book of poetry.
(d) An autobiography.
4. In how many books does Simple appear?
5. Where are Hughes' plays performed?
(a) At Footlite.
(b) At the Croswell.
(c) At the Wintergarden.
(d) At Karamu.
6. Into what language are Langston's poems translated?
7. Who does Langston meet in Ashkhabad?
(a) A reporter named Allan Cumming.
(b) A dancer who becomes his girlfriend.
(c) An actress who is also a writer.
(d) A reporter named Arthur Koestler.
8. During this time he meets with many important literary figures of what movement?
(a) The Black Renaissance.
(b) The Harlem Movement.
(c) The African American Movement.
(d) The Black Wave.
9. When he returned to Harlem in January of 1938, what does Langston do?
(a) He helps build a theater for blacks called the Harlem Suitcase Theater.
(b) He writes a play.
(c) He protests the war.
(d) He runs the Harlem Suitcase Theater.
10. What happens to the musical revue for which Langston works as a song lyricist?
(a) It closes after only one performance.
(b) It is never seen.
(c) It has a small amount of success.
(d) It is very successful.
11. With what difficult position is Langston posed?
(a) Not having time to write all that he wishes to write.
(b) Writing material he has no interest in writing.
(c) Teaching in a school in which he does not want to be.
(d) Wanting to write but needing to make money.
12. How do Langston's plays become more socially relevant?
(a) As he begins to write about current events.
(b) As he begins to write about the African American situation.
(c) As he begins to protest the war.
(d) As he begins to write historical pieces.
13. Who is Jesse B. Simple?
(a) Langston's best friend.
(b) One of Langston's characters.
(c) A member of the Black Renaissance that Langston had met.
(d) A character in one of Langston's poems.
14. To where do Langston and his mother move back?
(a) New York.
15. When does Langston return to the United States?
(a) After the Great Depression.
(b) Before the Great Depression.
(c) In the midst of the Great Depression.
(d) A week after the Crash.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Fire is finally published at the end of the summer, how is it received?
2. What does Mrs. Bethune ask Langston to do for her students?
3. For how long does "Don't You Want to Be Free?" run?
4. Where does the incident occur where the colored teachers of a school were told they'd be fired if Hughes, an assumed Communist, read his poetry?
5. Why are his readings canceled?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)