|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Into what language are Langston's poems translated?
2. Who does Simple represent?
(a) The average African American trying to make it in a white society.
(c) The famous black Americans.
(d) The members of the Black Renaissance.
3. What does Hughes do when he returns to Moscow?
(a) He writes and sells articles about his travels in Russia.
(b) He learns Russian.
(c) He meets with another movie producer to discuss creating a film about his experiences in Russia.
(d) He waits for his permit to leave.
4. Where does Hughes live in Barcelona?
(a) In a tiny, quiet village.
(b) Far from the fighting.
(c) Near the front line.
(d) In a resort.
5. What does this group of individuals decide to create?
(a) A black theater called the Apollo Theatre.
(b) A black university called New Negro College.
(c) A black academy called the Renaissance Academy.
(d) A black magazine of the arts called Fire.
6. After his first year at Lincoln, where does Hughes rent a room for the summer?
(d) The Bronx.
7. How does Hughes become involved with anti-war campaigns?
(a) Speaking to people at rallies.
(b) Writing and handing out pamphlets to the public.
(c) Advertisements for the radio.
(d) Writing advertisements for billboards.
8. When Fire is finally published at the end of the summer, how is it received?
(a) With negative reviews.
(b) With hostile reviews.
(c) With mixed reviews.
(d) With positive reviews.
9. Where does Langston continue to submit plays?
(a) The Karamu.
10. When do Langston and his friend set off for the South?
(a) October of 1921.
(b) October of 1931.
(c) October of 1951.
(d) October of 1941.
11. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
(a) He is a simple man, like many people.
(b) He is very influential in Langston's life.
(c) It is the longest running and perhaps greatest influence on the black community.
(d) His poem is the most published of all African American writings.
12. What happens when Hughes wakes the next morning?
(a) He receives a letter from his mother saying his father is dead.
(b) His father is ill.
(c) His father calls him.
(d) He receives a telgram saying his father is dead.
13. How does Fisk College reward Hughes for reading his poems at their college?
(a) In a large fee.
(b) With free college tuition.
(c) With an article in the local paper.
(d) With a thank you dinner.
14. Why are Hughes and the crew sent to Odessa?
(a) In order to film shots that resemble the Russian countryside.
(b) In order to film shots that show villagers working in the fields.
(c) In order to film some cotton-picking scenes.
(d) In order to film some footage of a southern town.
15. What does Hughes do before leaving for Paris?
(a) He writes an article about preparing to leave.
(b) He says goodbye to his familly.
(c) He visits the South one last time.
(d) He fills out his will.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is "Tomorrow's Seed" dedicated?
2. Who is Aimie Semple McPherson?
3. Where does Langston say he met a man named Simple?
4. When does the first Simple story appear in the Chicago Defender?
5. Who is the founder of Bethune-Cookman?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)