|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After his first year at Lincoln, where does Hughes rent a room for the summer?
(b) The Bronx.
2. Why are his readings canceled?
(a) They are afraid of him.
(b) There is no place large enough hold the crowds that want to meet him.
(c) Due to public outbursts.
(d) No one wants to hear him speak.
3. Where does Hughes live in Barcelona?
(a) In a resort.
(b) Far from the fighting.
(c) In a tiny, quiet village.
(d) Near the front line.
4. Where does Langston tour for the entirety of the summer?
(a) The American West.
(b) The American Southwest.
(c) The American South.
5. Who is Aimie Semple McPherson?
(a) A politician.
(b) An evangelist.
(c) A housewife.
(d) A Communist.
6. What does Langston think about his father?
(a) He never wants to see him again.
(b) He should write to him soon.
(c) He misses him.
(d) He wonders what he is up to.
7. How do Langston's plays become more socially relevant?
(a) As he begins to write historical pieces.
(b) As he begins to protest the war.
(c) As he begins to write about current events.
(d) As he begins to write about the African American situation.
8. After they return to New York City, what does Langston begin planning?
(a) Another job on a ship.
(b) A poetry-reading tour.
(c) A tour in Asia.
(d) A trip to Paris.
9. When does the first Simple story appear in the Chicago Defender?
10. When Fire is finally published at the end of the summer, how is it received?
(a) With mixed reviews.
(b) With hostile reviews.
(c) With negative reviews.
(d) With positive reviews.
11. Why do Lucas and Hughes spend most of their evenings as guests in black households?
(a) They are welcomed by the communities they visit.
(b) They are often unwelcome in hotels.
(c) They do not feel comfortable staying in hotels.
(d) They do not trust white people.
12. Where does Langston say he met a man named Simple?
(a) In a New York restaurant.
(b) In a Harlem bar.
(c) In a Detroit club.
(d) In a Cleveland center.
13. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
(a) He is very influential in Langston's life.
(b) He is a simple man, like many people.
(c) His poem is the most published of all African American writings.
(d) It is the longest running and perhaps greatest influence on the black community.
14. What does this group of individuals decide to create?
(a) A black university called New Negro College.
(b) A black theater called the Apollo Theatre.
(c) A black academy called the Renaissance Academy.
(d) A black magazine of the arts called Fire.
15. How is "The Big Sea" received by many critics?
(a) Not at all.
(c) Only slightly.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what is Hughes' poetry often infused?
2. What do Langston and Zell Ingram, a friend from Cleveland, decide to do?
3. What has this place become?
4. When do Langston and his friend set off for the South?
5. To where do Langston and his mother move back?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)