|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Langston decide to use his pay from the film?
(a) To travel to Paris.
(b) To travel through Asia.
(c) To travel to Russia.
(d) To visit his friends in Cleveland.
2. With what is Hughes' poetry often infused?
(a) African American propaganda.
(b) Political or religious propaganda.
(c) Anti-American propaganda.
(d) Communist propaganda.
3. When does the first Simple story appear in the Chicago Defender?
4. Where does the incident occur where the colored teachers of a school were told they'd be fired if Hughes, an assumed Communist, read his poetry?
(a) Gary, Indiana.
(b) Indianapolis, Indiana.
(c) Detroit, Michigan.
(d) Hammond, Indiana.
5. What is significant about Jesse B. Simple?
(a) It is the longest running and perhaps greatest influence on the black community.
(b) His poem is the most published of all African American writings.
(c) He is a simple man, like many people.
(d) He is very influential in Langston's life.
6. Why are Hughes and the crew sent to Odessa?
(a) In order to film shots that resemble the Russian countryside.
(b) In order to film shots that show villagers working in the fields.
(c) In order to film some footage of a southern town.
(d) In order to film some cotton-picking scenes.
7. Is Langston interested in teaching after he has graduated college?
(a) A little.
(c) At first.
8. The result of Hughes' time spent writing in this place is what?
(a) A book of poetry.
(b) An autobiography.
(c) A book of short stories.
(d) A play.
9. To whom is "Tomorrow's Seed" dedicated?
(a) To Pablo Picasso and his work in Spain.
(b) To the American soldiers he meets.
(c) To the people of Spain.
(d) To the Fascists.
10. How is "The Big Sea" received by many critics?
(a) Only slightly.
(c) Not at all.
11. For how long does "Don't You Want to Be Free?" run?
(a) One hundred and thirty-five consecutive performances.
(b) One hundred and fifteen consecutive performances.
(c) Two hundred and twenty-five consecutive performances.
(d) Nintey-five consecutive performances.
12. Where does this trip south take Langston?
(a) To unversities and concert halls.
(b) To colleges, high schools, and local meeting places.
(c) To famous theaters.
(d) To community centers and high schools.
13. Where does Langston say he met a man named Simple?
(a) In a Detroit club.
(b) In a Harlem bar.
(c) In a Cleveland center.
(d) In a New York restaurant.
14. What does this group of individuals decide to create?
(a) A black university called New Negro College.
(b) A black academy called the Renaissance Academy.
(c) A black magazine of the arts called Fire.
(d) A black theater called the Apollo Theatre.
15. When does Langston return to the United States?
(a) After the Great Depression.
(b) A week after the Crash.
(c) In the midst of the Great Depression.
(d) Before the Great Depression.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hughes do when he returns to Moscow?
2. How does Fisk College reward Hughes for reading his poems at their college?
3. How does Hughes become involved with anti-war campaigns?
4. What is the name of the theater in Los Angeles?
5. After his first year at Lincoln, where does Hughes rent a room for the summer?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)