|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hughes do when he returns to Moscow?
(a) He writes and sells articles about his travels in Russia.
(b) He learns Russian.
(c) He waits for his permit to leave.
(d) He meets with another movie producer to discuss creating a film about his experiences in Russia.
2. What does Langston think about his father?
(a) He misses him.
(b) He never wants to see him again.
(c) He should write to him soon.
(d) He wonders what he is up to.
3. Where does Langston stay the following summer in order to complete his first novel?
(a) Carmel, California.
(c) On Lincoln's campus.
(d) New York City.
4. How do Langston's plays become more socially relevant?
(a) As he begins to write about current events.
(b) As he begins to write historical pieces.
(c) As he begins to write about the African American situation.
(d) As he begins to protest the war.
5. Why does Langston become depressed?
(a) Racism is stronger now than a few years ago.
(b) He is still treated unequally.
(c) Racism he witnesses even in the midst of disaster.
(d) He is treated worse in the south than in the north.
6. In the spring of 1937 for whom does Hughes travel to Spain as a correspondent?
(a) The Crisis, a New York based publication.
(b) Time, a New York based publication.
(c) The African American, a Baltimore based publication.
(d) The Baltimore, a Baltimore based publication.
7. What does this group of individuals decide to create?
(a) A black magazine of the arts called Fire.
(b) A black theater called the Apollo Theatre.
(c) A black university called New Negro College.
(d) A black academy called the Renaissance Academy.
8. How does Langston decide to use his pay from the film?
(a) To visit his friends in Cleveland.
(b) To travel through Asia.
(c) To travel to Russia.
(d) To travel to Paris.
9. Who is Aimie Semple McPherson?
(a) An evangelist.
(b) A Communist.
(c) A politician.
(d) A housewife.
10. What has happened to Barcelona, right before Langston arrives?
(a) It is bombed by German and Italian aircraft.
(b) It has become a territory of Nazi Germany.
(c) It has been bombed by the the British.
(d) It is destroyed by a nuclear bomb.
11. For how long does "Don't You Want to Be Free?" run?
(a) Nintey-five consecutive performances.
(b) Two hundred and twenty-five consecutive performances.
(c) One hundred and thirty-five consecutive performances.
(d) One hundred and fifteen consecutive performances.
12. Is Langston interested in teaching after he has graduated college?
(a) A little.
(c) At first.
13. Which of Hughes' works is published during this summer?
(a) Mulatto and A House in Taos.
(b) Prodigal Son and Not Without Laughter.
(c) A House in Taos and Not Without Laughter.
(d) Prodigal Son and Mulatto.
14. Into what language are Langston's poems translated?
15. About what is Hughes to report?
(a) The roles of American soldiers in the war in Spain.
(b) African Americans and their role in the war in Spain.
(c) The roles of Americcan soldiers in World War II.
(d) African Americans and their role in World War II.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do Langston and his friend set off for the South?
2. What does his mother receive while they are there?
3. When does Langston return to the United States?
4. Does Langston read his poetry at this luncheon?
5. How does Hughes become involved with anti-war campaigns?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)