|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives Langston a thousand dollar grant?
(a) His father.
(b) The member of the Black Renaissance.
(c) The Rosenwood Fund.
(d) Mary McLeod Bethune.
2. How does Fisk College reward Hughes for reading his poems at their college?
(a) With an article in the local paper.
(b) In a large fee.
(c) With free college tuition.
(d) With a thank you dinner.
3. About what is Hughes to report?
(a) The roles of American soldiers in the war in Spain.
(b) The roles of Americcan soldiers in World War II.
(c) African Americans and their role in the war in Spain.
(d) African Americans and their role in World War II.
4. Who does Simple represent?
(a) The members of the Black Renaissance.
(c) The average African American trying to make it in a white society.
(d) The famous black Americans.
5. Into what language are Langston's poems translated?
6. When do Langston and his friend set off for the South?
(a) October of 1931.
(b) October of 1941.
(c) October of 1951.
(d) October of 1921.
7. Why does Hughes ask for a loan from Knopf, his publisher?
(a) For the completion of a book of poems.
(b) For the completion of his poems about Spain.
(c) For the completion of a book of short stories.
(d) For the completion of his autobiography.
8. Where does this trip south take Langston?
(a) To colleges, high schools, and local meeting places.
(b) To unversities and concert halls.
(c) To famous theaters.
(d) To community centers and high schools.
9. What does Langston receive for "Not Without Laughter?"
(a) A one thousand dollar prize.
(b) A four thousand dollar prize.
(c) A four hundred dollar prize.
(d) A one hundred dollar prize.
10. To where do Langston and his mother move back?
(d) New York.
11. How does this person feel about Langston's poem, "Goodbye Christ?"
(a) She is excited about it.
(b) She is slightly nervous about it.
(c) She is angered and appalled by it.
(d) She is saddened by it.
12. The result of Hughes' time spent writing in this place is what?
(a) A book of short stories.
(b) An autobiography.
(c) A play.
(d) A book of poetry.
13. Does Langston read his poetry at this luncheon?
(b) Some of it.
(c) Just one poem.
14. In the spring of 1937 for whom does Hughes travel to Spain as a correspondent?
(a) The Baltimore, a Baltimore based publication.
(b) Time, a New York based publication.
(c) The Crisis, a New York based publication.
(d) The African American, a Baltimore based publication.
15. What does Hughes do before leaving for Paris?
(a) He says goodbye to his familly.
(b) He writes an article about preparing to leave.
(c) He fills out his will.
(d) He visits the South one last time.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has happened to Barcelona, right before Langston arrives?
2. In how many books does Simple appear?
3. Why does Langston become depressed?
4. Who does Langston meet in Ashkhabad?
5. Is Langston interested in teaching after he has graduated college?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)